R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Using the International Mini Configurator

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 03:23 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Using the International Mini Configurator

There is one option that I didn't order on my Clubman that I now regret - the Anthracite headliner. I really didn't understand why I would want it and when I added the option in Mini Configurator, nothing visually changed. So I passed on it.

Then after ordering my Clubman and getting the pass into the Owner's Lounge, I stumbled onto the Mini International web site. It also has a Mini Configurator, but it quite different from the US version, and IMHO, a hundred times better. It allows you to rotate the car in three directions, and more importantly, gives you a much better view of interior selections. Select the anthracite option there and the visual change is quite apparent.

For folks getting ready to order their new Mini. I would highly recommend viewing your selections in both configurators before you make your final choices.

Since you may not have direct access via the Owner's Lounge, here is the link to the U.K. site which is the easiest to use since it is in english:

http://www.mini.co.uk/

There are quite a few differences in available options, etc, so you likely will not be able to build up your exact Mini. You will also notice that we are getting a great deal on our Mini's vs. what they pay across the pond. Mine was an $8k difference based on currency exchanges.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:07 AM
WHM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Copywrites
There is one option that I didn't order on my Clubman that I now regret - the Anthracite headliner. I really didn't understand why I would want it and when I added the option in Mini Configurator, nothing visually changed. So I passed on it.

Then after ordering my Clubman and getting the pass into the Owner's Lounge, I stumbled onto the Mini International web site. It also has a Mini Configurator, but it quite different from the US version, and IMHO, a hundred times better. It allows you to rotate the car in three directions, and more importantly, gives you a much better view of interior selections. Select the anthracite option there and the visual change is quite apparent.

For folks getting ready to order their new Mini. I would highly recommend viewing your selections in both configurators before you make your final choices.
Since you may not have direct access via the Owner's Lounge, here is the link to the U.K. site which is the easiest to use since it is in english:

http://www.mini.co.uk/

There are quite a few differences in available options, etc, so you likely will not be able to build up your exact Mini. You will also notice that we are getting a great deal on our Mini's vs. what they pay across the pond. Mine was an $8k difference based on currency exchanges.
I almost ordered the anthracite but thought it would make the inside too dark. If that's the only mistake I made then I am still happy. Mine docking in Charleston this week-end and hopefully in 10 days will be behind the wheel

Old 03-14-2008, 04:16 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Some people think the anthracite headliner makes the interior too dark so that option isn't a no-brainer.

Comparing US/UK prices is a more-complicated process than may be obvious as list prices from the configurator don't take the different taxation regimes into account.

Old 03-14-2008, 05:05 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
I wasn't really trying to suggest the anthracite headliner was an obvious choice, just that the US configurator did not give me an accurate representation of how the option would appear. That lack of detail caused me to make a choice that I likely would not have made if I had more/better information.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:08 AM
Prost
4th Gear
Any Pictures?

Old 03-14-2008, 07:36 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Not yet - mine is still on the boat headed this way. Last I heard I will have an Easter weekend delivery. But the cargo website today is showing a delayed arrival. So, now I'm not so sure.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:25 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
I wasn't really trying to suggest the anthracite headliner was an obvious choice, just that the US configurator did not give me an accurate representation of how the option would appear. That lack of detail caused me to make a choice that I likely would not have made if I had more/better information.
Sorry I didn't mean to infer that you thought Anthracite was obvious, just warning readers that not every option is worth having IMHO.

I can't show what I mean but if anyone wants to Photoshop my headliner they're very welcome!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/18843279@N03/2333326354/

Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
dlpruk's mini if anthractic

Last edited by Copywrites; 03-14-2008 at 09:01 AM. Reason: wrong link
Old 03-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
dlpruk's mini if anthractic

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24645490@N05/2332571789/

Here's a quick and dirty photoshop of the link dlpruk provided to show his Clubman's interior if it were anthractic. This is about as close as I can get without losing all the detail. Probably would really still be darker.

Last edited by Copywrites; 03-14-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:03 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
http://www.flickr.com/photos/24645490@N05/2332571789/

Here's a quick and dirty photoshop of the link dlpruk provided to show his Clubman's interior if it were anthractic. This is about as clas as I can get without losing all the detail. Probably would really still be darker.
Thanks! (But does the anthracite option change the sun visors and top switches too?)

And I know which version I prefer!

Last edited by dlpruk; 03-14-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Added question.
Old 03-14-2008, 09:23 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dlpruk
Thanks! (But does the anthracite option change the sun visors and top switches too?)
looks like it does from the link to the photo above.
I had no idea either ... thought that it only changes the actual headliner.

Old 03-14-2008, 09:39 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
looks like it does from the link to the photo above.
I had no idea either ... thought that it only changes the actual headliner.
I saw a R56 with an anthracite headliner at a dealer last year when I was just starting the spec process and didn't like it at all so I paid no attention to what bits were different.

We need someone to point a camera at one.

Old 03-14-2008, 10:16 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
I agree, some actual photos would be real helpful. Mini does not do a real good job showing these types of options in their brochures either.

Another concern I had was I added the center console. Would it be the medium gray color if I had ordered the anthracite headliner? In the accessory catalog they list two versions of the armrest, and in the UK configurator, it changes color depending on your headliner color choice. But it doesn't change color in the USA configurator.

I've noticed the USA configurator has evolved over that past few weeks - I suspect they are still working in all the details.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:55 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
well this is the same photo linked above

looks like the visors and the actual headliner are anthracite.

i think if you have a sunroof you might as well leave the headliner stock, other wise you are kind of paying well... for not much

Old 03-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
That photo is just my interpretation of what anthracite would look like from photoshopping a standard gray interior photo. I based the items I changed to anthracite on the U.K. mini configurator which shows much more of the interior than the US configurator shows us. In fact, it has a very cool 360 degree pan of the interior showing all your selections.

My view was that if the Mini has a moonroof, that would mostly eliminate the potential problem of a very dark interior, at least during the day.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:36 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
I stumbled onto the Mini International web site. It also has a Mini Configurator, but it quite different from the US version, and IMHO, a hundred times better.
Funny you should say that. On the MINI2 forum, UK members complain about their configurator and think the MINIUSA one is much better.

Both are sorely lacking in not having the interactive 360 view that many other manufacturers have.

Old 03-15-2008, 02:22 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
The UK configurator does have a 360 view of the interior. It is very nice, especially at understanding how trimlines look in the rear passenger area.

Old 03-15-2008, 09:06 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Very cool feature. I think it is a relatively new addition to their configurator. It was not there during all of the 1st gen or the first year of the R56, and it still isn't there for the convertible.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:20 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I never understood the attraction towards the anthracite headliner. Makes the interior too dark.

Old 03-15-2008, 11:27 AM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
I never understood the attraction towards the anthracite headliner. Makes the interior too dark.
Hmm - I may need to go sit in some hardtops. The underside of the folding top on my convertible is a very dark grey (probably even darker than an anthracite headliner), there's *much* less glass in a convertible, and I've still never thought of the interior as "too dark". Plus, I have dark blue carpet, dark blue seats, and my dash, downtubes and trim rings are carbon-fiber, so if any interior would look too dark, I'd think it would be mine.

Old 03-18-2008, 09:46 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
There's a picture of an athracite headliner on another thread here. (It's not in a Clubman though but it does show what you get.)

Not to my taste at all!