R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Accessory Mistakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 08:32 AM
ITTAZVIC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The car I just replaced with the mini had xenons and I was not crazy about them. The halogens are fine for driving around the area I live in(N.NJ). The high beams do a good job when I need more light.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:40 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
Although it was part of a package, I probably would have separately ordered the center arm rest anyway and that would have been a mistake. First, due to it's position, it is useless as an armrest. Second, it's a flimsy piece of crap that often is hard to open when I want to, but then won't stay shut. Plus, it has about enough room to hold a toothbrush.
+1

I felt like the arm rest was entirely an after-thought design-wise, looked cheap and functioned poorly. It interferes with access to the biggest of the available cupholders. It folds up into your way rather than out of the way and when you use the e-brake, it's definitely in the way. ick...

I'm really happy with the BT handsfree. And built-in Sirius! My first Mini had an unsightly tuner velcroed to the dash. I had to set the interior lighting to blue to match the radio. In my new vehicle the lighting always matches the instruments.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:59 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by PepperSClubman
+1

I felt like the arm rest was entirely an after-thought design-wise, looked cheap and functioned poorly. It interferes with access to the biggest of the available cupholders. It folds up into your way rather than out of the way and when you use the e-brake, it's definitely in the way. ick...
This is one of those options a buyer needs to test in person. Mine works just fine and doesn't interfere with anything. The brake doesn't hit it, it's not in the way of shifting. I think it depends on the distance from elbow to shoulder and elbow to hand. Since we're all a bit different, I could see where it could be a problem to some folks.

Old 03-22-2008, 09:35 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Everyone's eyes are a little different, especially when it comes to night vision. Some people see a certain range of light (temp) better than others. I think that's why you get some people who hate HIDs and some that don't.
I suspect that many people see how bright HIDs (Xenons) are think it is all good. As the article points out, they are fooled into thinking their visibility is improved because they can see near objects more clearly while their distance visibility is actually impared (with low beams).

Old 03-22-2008, 01:43 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Originally Posted by thomastrain
Is there a web link for orders or do you have to purchase in person to get teh discount?
I think you can just call or email. Several years ago I bought the alarm from them. http://www.driveclassicmini.com/

I agree re the xenons - I love them and find them extremely helpful...it's probably a vision thing, as in aging eyes.

Just thought of another accessory that I bought twice and decided not to this time - the alarm. Realized that it's the engine immobilizer that is the reason my insurance co. gives me the discount. I realize many will still want the noise factor, but I decided to use that $$ for other things.

Last edited by Otra; 03-22-2008 at 01:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:07 PM
irieman
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got the MINI branded car cover. I think i've used it once in 2 years of owning the MINI.

I didn't get the MFSW or Anthracite Headliner! What was I thinking?!

Last edited by irieman; 03-22-2008 at 02:34 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:06 PM
Jeff S.
3rd Gear
My wife just bought her MCS off the floor but I saw to it that it had most of the options (all the packages) and if we can just figure out how to use them it will be great. I ordered my Clubman S--the optioned that I wanted was the JCW package, but it was not available at the time.. Now that it has been introduced, with all the bells and whisltes it would be well above $40,000. I can duplicate most of the performance for substantially less than a base JCW Clubman.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:22 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Jeff S.
I can duplicate most of the performance for substantially less than a base JCW Clubman.
Alta and others have mods similar to, and probably more aggressive than, Stage I JCW kit, but don't maintain warranty. For the Stage II JCW (Factory JCW) you would have to change the pistons, clutch, and transmission to match it. MINI felt those had to be upgraded to handle the increased power of the Factory JCW car.

Old 03-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I suspect that many people see how bright HIDs (Xenons) are think it is all good. As the article points out, they are fooled into thinking their visibility is improved because they can see near objects more clearly while their distance visibility is actually impared (with low beams).
No what I meant was some people can see more clearly the distance things with the HIDs just because of their eyes. Just like as some people age they have trouble driving at night while others don't (with regular or HIDs). Everyone is different, especially when it comes down to eye sight at night. I have used halogen for years and find my Mini's HIDs are much better in pitch black than halogens. I've read your other posts about it and know that is not the case for you. Obviously our eyesight is different. I don't "think" I see better just because the HIDs light the ground more. I see better at a distance with the Mini's HIDs than with my other car's halogens.

Old 03-22-2008, 07:42 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
thomastrain-

Jayson at Clasic MINI: bmwparts@classicautocampus.com

or phone: 440-205-6404
I called him, as I'm not a big fan of credit card info via email on a non-secure server.
They're also a sponsor on this site, look to the vendor forums

Old 03-24-2008, 10:32 AM
dkamp
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I got the Premium Pkg, Convenience pkg, Xeon Headlights and a few extra.
Really glad I got the Sun Roof, it is excellent.
Really glad I got the iPod Interface with the convenience pkg extreamly nice.
Multifuntion steering wheel controls are worth it.
The Auto temp control is kinda hard to use while driving.
The Bluetooth is very nice.
Overall I'm glad I got all the accessories I did.

Havent figured out what the button is in the arm rest yet.???
Not needing a key or remote to lock/unlock, set alarm is cool too.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:57 AM
Tommy122
2nd Gear
[quote=rdeppen;2109899] ......I'm not one of you nut jobs that has the patience to order a car and wait 4 months for it to be built and shipped. I buy right off the lot with whatever option they come as configured with. The one thing my S doesn't have that I wish it did was Cruise Control.... /quote]

I'm the same way. I bought mine off the lot also. Like you, mine does not have cruise control. That is an accessory that I wish I had. I thought about having it added, but that would probably be very pricey. I drove a loaner that had the heated seats. That's a nice option, but I can live without it. Otherwise I like the way mine is equipped.

Old 03-24-2008, 10:58 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
So, we who are willing to wait a few months to get what we want for our $32k are "nut jobs'? Maybe we just are willing to do what it takes to get what we want.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:01 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I am a "nut job" that has configured and ordered every single one of the 4 MINIs I have bought. To me the whole point of the MINI is to get exactly what you want. The Clubman was a 9 week wait. Not bad really as it gave me enough time to sell the '02 MC. The problem I have with dealer specced cars is that almost always they come fully loaded and/or have colors and seat upholstery choices that I am not interested in. Rarely a dealer orders a car with the "bare" necessities. However, ordering is not for everybody and in many circumstances a buyer needs to get the car right away and have to limit his/her choices to whatever is available at the lot.

Last edited by ClubmanS; 03-24-2008 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Tommy122
2nd Gear
So, we who are willing to wait a few months to get what we want for our $32k are "nut jobs'? Maybe we just are willing to do what it takes to get what we want.
I didn't make the comment, but I don't think that he meant that. It was just a poor choice of words. I believe that it was a typo and the word "you" was meant to be "your".

Old 03-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I think he meant "you." But, it's no big deal. I just happen to going through a spate of impatient, ill-advised teen decision-making with my varments at the moment: Buying shoes that are clearly way too big; wearing shorts when it's sleeting because they are "cool;" cutting class because "it's no big deal," etc. Impulsiveness isn't something I'm into at the moment.

Old 03-24-2008, 11:26 AM
Tommy122
2nd Gear
I think he meant "you." But, it's no big deal. I just happen to going through a spate of impatient, ill-advised teen decision-making with my varments at the moment: Buying shoes that are clearly way too big; wearing shorts when it's sleeting because they are "cool;" cutting class because "it's no big deal," etc. Impulsiveness isn't something I'm into at the moment.
Well, maybe he did mean it....I don't know. I was just focusing in on the "bought it off the lot". Until now, I thought I must be the only person that did that. I'll know better next time

Old 03-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Given the size of dealer lots, I doubt that....

Old 03-24-2008, 11:51 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I think it is about 50/50 the split between people that place custom factory orders and those who buy straight from the lot. It would be very difficult for MINI dealers to survive on custom factory orders alone...

Old 03-24-2008, 12:18 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I would have loved to have bought one off the lot - if only I could have afforded to - I'd be driving a beauty right now.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:25 PM
rexicon
4th Gear
My local dealer (Ferman Mini of Tampa Bay) either has loaded or weird configurations. They have a $34k beauty that I would love to own but it's just too big a payment as well as three EB/S's that don't have cruise control. I don't know whether the coupe has the same dysfunctional "optionning" but not having cruise control is akin to deleting cup holders in this fair land IMHO.

I'm glad I caught one of the threads in here that mentioned the necessity of the MFSW for cruise otherwise I might have missed it inadvertently and I would have been very very vexed at that.

Old 03-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Tommy122
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rexicon
My local dealer (Ferman Mini of Tampa Bay) either has loaded or weird configurations. They have a $34k beauty that I would love to own but it's just too big a payment as well as three EB/S's that don't have cruise control. I don't know whether the coupe has the same dysfunctional "optionning" but not having cruise control is akin to deleting cup holders in this fair land IMHO.

I'm glad I caught one of the threads in here that mentioned the necessity of the MFSW for cruise otherwise I might have missed it inadvertently and I would have been very very vexed at that.
Same here. I noticed that most of the Mini's on my dealer's lot don't have cruise control or they are loaded beyond what I can afford...but nothing in between. Mine doesn't have it, but I certainly wish it did. I have a Toyota truck with cruise control and I hardly ever use it. However, with the Mini, I find myself cruising at 85 mph without realizing it. You would think that cruise would be standard equipment on the Mini. I don't know if you can even get an American car without it.

Old 03-24-2008, 01:05 PM
COOP310
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
The only accessory I wish I had gotten was the self dimming rearview mirror and the Homelink buttons for the automatic gate. I have these in my '05 S and love them!. But the wife would not buldge for either when we ordered the Clubman.... And now she regrets it (I told her so!). But at least we were able to find a small remote garage opener that tucks neatly on her sunvisor.
I have seen a few people who have bought a homelink transimtter from ebay and modded the console on their headliner to include the device. Works with most openers/gates and is a pretty slick mod for about $50 IMO.

Old 03-24-2008, 03:42 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by COOP310
I have seen a few people who have bought a homelink transimtter from ebay and modded the console on their headliner to include the device. Works with most openers/gates and is a pretty slick mod for about $50 IMO.
Really? Do you have a link?

Old 03-24-2008, 05:44 PM
sbaker
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rexicon

Weird. One of the dealers in the Dallas area also has 3 identical LB/S's without cruise control. That's a really odd coincidence......

Last edited by sbaker; 03-25-2008 at 11:47 AM.

Quick Reply: R55 Accessory Mistakes?