R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Accessory Mistakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:56 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Selling a new car without cruise control is akin to selling same car without power steering or A/C. I can do without most options, but cruise control is a must IMHO. Most people will not look at an used car that lacks this feature.

Old 03-24-2008, 07:04 PM
rdeppen
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HAHA I just wanderd back into this thread. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers with my "Nut Job" comment. Until I found the forum I really had NO IDEA people actually custom ordered there cars. I kept coming across these strange waiting threads and boat tracking threads.......

Sorry but for someone that has never heard of the concept of custom configuring a car. Y'all sound like nut jobs

The main reason I ended up in my new Mini is the dealer REALLY wanted to move a unit and cut me a deal on my old truck that was to good to pass up. I read and belong to many forums. This one seemed like the best for Mini's in the US. Again sorry if I got under anyones skin.

Still seems wierd to me to wait 2 to 3 months for a car thou

Old 03-24-2008, 07:07 PM
oxtox
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Selling a new car without cruise control is akin to selling same car without power steering or A/C. I can do without most options, but cruise control is a must IMHO. Most people will not look at an used car that lacks this feature.
depends on where you live. i never use cruise control (but have it).....my mini is an urban animal with occasional jaunts out to the twisties....it just doesn't see many turnpikes or interstates.

back on topic, anyone getting bluetooth, please, please, please make sure your phone works with the mini before you get this option!!!! there are not many "approved" or "official" phones....and the ones that are listed are outdated. please learn from my mistake!

Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Has anyone ordered/received an Interior Surface Trim (i.e. Brushed Alloy vs. Fluid Silver vs. Checkered, etc.) and later wished they'd chosen something else for a particular reason or look? (Mostly interested in the differences between Brushed Alloy and Fluid Silver on the Clubman, namely the look of the front and rear elliptical door rings on one vs. the other.) Appreciate any opinions/comments.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:39 AM
greengobln
5th Gear
i know it is probably mute as this point but i like the xenon headlights. i use them with my fogs/little mod to keep them on anytime i turn on my headlights and this seems to give both near and far vision on my car that is much better than my last car. i aimed up the fogs some and the HIDs from the dealer also needed to be raised. i really like the varying tempuratures that i get with the mixture of the two lighting styles. i live in a somewhat rural part of SE pa and i need to be able to see those deer and opossum both near and far.

that being said i love the ipod integration. there isn't really anything else i long for.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:43 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
This simply points out that what's important to one person has little value to another. I tend to be an "I want it all" type person, so the fact that I use cruise control at most once a month does not diminish my insistence upon having it. What I find frustrating about off the lot cars is that they often seem to have very weird inclusions and omissions. For example, a very loaded Mini may include the wood dash trim and most "luxury" items, but omit comfort access. Conversely, an otherwise base/nearly base car will also have chrome interior/exterior trim.

I remember a Pontiac 6000 we once bought off a used car lot to use mostly to go from our house to the downtown bus depot (a 3 mile trip). It was loaded but had manual windows.

Old 03-25-2008, 07:57 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by greengobln
i know it is probably mute as this point but i like the xenon headlights. i use them with my fogs/little mod to keep them on anytime i turn on my headlights and this seems to give both near and far vision on my car that is much better than my last car. i aimed up the fogs some and the HIDs from the dealer also needed to be raised.
The point is not moot, however a mute point (non-sequitur) is not what you meant.

This is my current pet peeve. People in their tall SUV leaving their fog lights on when it's not foggy. I think the fact that Minis and BMWs are set up so that when you kill the lights or engine the next time you start it up the fog lights have defaulted to off is just great. In Europe (where rear fog lights are ubiquitous and fronts are much rarer), you can get a ticket for having your rear fogs on when there's no fog.

Rear fogs have a useful function. Front fogs don't increase forward visibility. They just annoy oncoming drivers. Why would you leave them on all the time? If I see a Mini with a burnt out fog light I'll know its you. You'll be damn lucky if you can avoid a deer at 60mph on a rural road but it'll have little to do with your fogs. Blinding oncoming drivers is not only counter to safety but is really uncool.

You raised your lights too... So you can blind semi-trucks as well?

Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Love my xenons, rarely use my fogs but am glad to have them - plus I like having those holes filled. Only rarely have I used my front fogs, but have used the rear a number of times in bad visibility.

Old 03-25-2008, 09:21 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
In an effort NOT to make an Accessory Mistake let me ask this - will the MFSW control the bluetooth/ipod accessory package?

I'm not too interested in the comfort/homelink aspects hence no comfort package - I have to have Ipod hookup and the bluetooth is only $150 more so it made sense to spec that. I'm just a bit concerned that the MFSW won't be able to ff my ipod or answer the phone when calls come in.

Thanks, Rex

Old 03-25-2008, 09:35 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I've been told it will. Did you ask your MA?

This thread looks helpful: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...MFSW+bluetooth

Last edited by Otra; 03-25-2008 at 09:40 AM. Reason: a hyperlink
Old 03-25-2008, 10:16 AM
Tommy122
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by greengobln
i know it is probably mute as this point but i like the xenon headlights. i use them with my fogs/little mod to keep them on anytime i turn on my headlights and this seems to give both near and far vision on my car that is much better than my last car. i aimed up the fogs some and the HIDs from the dealer also needed to be raised. i really like the varying tempuratures that i get with the mixture of the two lighting styles. i live in a somewhat rural part of SE pa and i need to be able to see those deer and opossum both near and far.

that being said i love the ipod integration. there isn't really anything else i long for.
What is this "little mod"?

Old 03-25-2008, 10:24 AM
ITTAZVIC
1st Gear
The MFSW definitely moves the tracks up and down on an ipod. As far as front fogs are concerned, I find them very distracting and they really serve no useful purpose except for someone to try and look cool. They only illuminate the area 5-6 feet in front of the car and serve no useful purpose once your driving over 5-10 MPH. Aiming them higher to blind oncoming cars or using them in conjunction with xenons is ridiculous.

Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 AM
club(wo)man
3rd Gear
I decided to drive the Big Sur coastline yesterday instead of taking the boring 101 home. It was close to sunset and I wanted to stop, and I wanted to take my new Clubman through the twisties!. It was beautiful, and a lot of fun.

I realized, after sunset, that I really like the Xenons. Before yesterday, I knew my purchase was excessive, because I live in a densely urban area. During my night driving on the very twisty southern section of Highway 1, I could see great. Even through it wasn't really foggy, the front fogs lit up the road so I could see potholes and other craziness. Comparing what I could see to other cars ahead of me (and then promptly behind me) I decided I made a good choice. Maybe I don't NEED them, and maybe they aren't totally useful on a daily basis... but, I wouldn't have a MINI if i shopped based on NEED.

To answer the threads original question... I got the NAV, and use it all the time. I was thinking this would be my order mistake, but its great. I love that I didn't need to buy extra Ipod integration and everything hooks up beautifully... MINI even supplied the cable!

Old 04-29-2008, 12:49 PM
gckman
Neutral
i wish i have had bought the mini with bi-xenon,beacause im about to install hids

Old 04-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Loony2N
6th Gear
I wish I got the park distance thing (forget what it's called). I thought with a car this small, it was a waste, but I definitely feel it would be nice to have. I didn't get anything I wish I didn't, although I do wish they had a better choice for the hifi upgrade.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:27 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LynnEl
I wish I got the park distance thing (forget what it's called). I thought with a car this small, it was a waste, but I definitely feel it would be nice to have. I didn't get anything I wish I didn't, although I do wish they had a better choice for the hifi upgrade.
I am second guessing that option as well. I didn't know it would have a graphical display on the Nav screen or I would have gotten it.

I wonder if the PDC can be dealer installed?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:19 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
I've used the cruise control a lot on trips to Los Angeles or San Jose. It is nice to be able to relax my right foot for awhile. Also, the MINI seems to want to go a lot faster than I should be going, so it helps me stay legal.
sorry to get off topic.

Robin I recently bought a 08 MCS and I will be using the car primarily for driving from LA to San Jose (east bay area). What kind of mileage are you seeing on your MCS on the I5 drive?

Old 04-29-2008, 05:26 PM
mellowmcs
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
I am second guessing that option as well. I didn't know it would have a graphical display on the Nav screen or I would have gotten it.

I wonder if the PDC can be dealer installed?
Looks like it maybe possible... at least the parts are available for order.

Attached Thumbnails Accessory Mistakes?-mini-pdc.jpg  
Old 04-29-2008, 05:31 PM
sfomini
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rdeppen
I'm not one of you nut jobs that has the patience to order a car and wait 4 months for it to be built and shipped.
HEY. I resemble that remark.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:52 PM
kbleicher
4th Gear
Originally Posted by rdeppen
....Until I found the forum I really had NO IDEA people actually custom ordered there cars....
Yeah, it's tough to find a Clubman-S on a lot, and even harder to find one that's even close to what you want.... So we wait and talk about boats

Old 04-29-2008, 06:16 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
I kind of wish I had ordered the "sport" package...anyone, anyone? Thoughts on this?

Old 04-29-2008, 06:40 PM
scatmanjack
1st Gear
Wooden MFSW

I was thinking about getting the Wooden MFSW and along with the English Oak Dash, however after 'testing' the wheel I found that I missed leather-wrap-around feeling of the normal wheel (I have the leather MFSW on 2006 R50 and have an R55 on order). The wooden insert felt out of place and would be uncomfortable on long trips so in the end I ordered the leather MFSW and English Oak Dash on my new R55- mid-June delivery...

Paul

Old 04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mellowmcs
I emailed my SA today so we'll see what she says.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:27 PM
rrcaniglia
6th Gear
I like my fancy Zenon headlights and I live in a country-dark area, though I understand the concern. They are very bright in their low-beam field and I'm sure they're killing night vision, which will hurt vis beyond. Hi beams are great, though.

Agree the arm rest is a bit wobbly and the lid is alternately hard to slide open or it won't stay shut. I do like the way it rotates up. Wish it were longer.

Didn't get the iPod mod. I just use the aux port. The mod would be worth it to me.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:04 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by mellowmcs

It has a front sensor? I didn't know that!

Quick Reply: R55 Accessory Mistakes?