R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Accessory Mistakes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 06:18 PM
zeus661
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Accessory Mistakes?

What accessory or accessories did you get on your mini that you wish you had NOT? and why.

Or what accessory or accesories did you not get but wish you had? and why.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:38 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I wish i had xeon lights.

Old 03-20-2008, 06:40 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I bought the glovebox organizer and the sunshade.

I don't keep enough stuff in my glovebox to need the organizer and the sunshade is sort of a hard cardboard thing that you fold/unfold. I prefer the shiny sided ones that roll up. The Mini sunshade is very bulky. It fits perfect, which is a problem with the placement of my radar detector. I will end up selling the shade and getting a roll up type so I can bend it past my detector. With the Mini one it's not flexible enough to do that.

I got the driving lights as well. Mats were thrown in by my dealer, as were the mud flaps.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:27 PM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
I wish I went with carpeted mats. The dealer threw in rubber ones and I'm not diggin' them.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:37 AM
Otra
6th Gear
You'll love them if you live in a climate that offers snow or mud. Personally, I prefer them.

I'll fess up, with my first MINI I got the "map light" - that was a mistake, unless you don't have a flashlight.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:39 AM
rdeppen
2nd Gear
I got the rubber mats vs. the carpet as my work environment can get kinda dirty. Rubber was a must. Hate that they slide around like mad but some sticky velcro fixed that.

I'm not one of you nut jobs that has the patience to order a car and wait 4 months for it to be built and shipped. I buy right off the lot with whatever option they come as configured with. The one thing my S doesn't have that I wish it did was Cruise Control. Other then that the car had everything else I wanted. I'm gonna add the Ipod/phone bluetooth adapted myself as I have friend at Vista BMW in service for a nice deep discount on parts

Last edited by rdeppen; 03-21-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:55 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
I wish I had the optional ice cream dispenser.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I should have got the anthracite headliner. Although it was part of a package, I probably would have separately ordered the center arm rest anyway and that would have been a mistake. First, due to it's position, it is useless as an armrest. Second, it's a flimsy piece of crap that often is hard to open when I want to, but then won't stay shut. Plus, it has about enough room to hold a toothbrush. I am undecided about my decision to get the LSD. In theory, it has plusses and minuses and I'm not sure which I experience more of.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:20 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceFace
I wish I went with carpeted mats. The dealer threw in rubber ones and I'm not diggin' them.
The carpeted mats turn to junk in a matter of time. You'll come to appreciate the durability and easy of cleaning of the rubber mats.

My dealer gave me a set of each: Carpeted (With the Clubman moniker) and the MINI rubber mats.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
My carpeted matts look brand new. Never had a problem with them on my prior cars, either.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:22 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
The only accessory I wish I had gotten was the self dimming rearview mirror and the Homelink buttons for the automatic gate. I have these in my '05 S and love them!. But the wife would not buldge for either when we ordered the Clubman.... And now she regrets it (I told her so!). But at least we were able to find a small remote garage opener that tucks neatly on her sunvisor.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:24 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by LynnEl
My carpeted matts look brand new. Never had a problem with them on my prior cars, either.
It is not so much the surface of the carpeted mats, but the backing. I had 2 sets in my prior MINIs and the foam backing simply came apart and looked like junk.

Honestly haven't checked to see if the newer carpeted mats have a better backing.

But much prefer the rubber ones. They may not look as "inviting" but they are extremely durable and easy to clean.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:34 AM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
RaceFace - Jayson at Classic MINI will give you a deal on the carpeted mats if you want to order a set. Mention NAM and get 20% off most accessories. I ordered the carpeted mats, rubber mats, wheel locks, and three oil filters from Jayson and got 20% off the list prices for entire order.

Old 03-21-2008, 10:57 AM
Loony2N
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
They may not look as "inviting" but they are extremely durable and easy to clean.

True. And if I lived in a rain forest or mud pit, I'd probably get them. But, I see them as the automotive equivalent of plastic runners some people put over their carpets in their homes.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Quesera
5th Gear
It is not so much the surface of the carpeted mats, but the backing. I had 2 sets in my prior MINIs and the foam backing simply came apart and looked like junk.

Honestly haven't checked to see if the newer carpeted mats have a better backing.

But much prefer the rubber ones. They may not look as "inviting" but they are extremely durable and easy to clean.
My carpeted mats feel pretty flimsy too. They were free, and offered without any begging or pleading. I'll be saving up my spare change to buy some of those lovely cocomats everyone is talking about.

Old 03-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Striped Toad
I wish i had xeon lights.
I have the Xenon headlights and wish I didn't. For me, the low beams on dark country roads (with traffic) limit my distance vision more than the halogens on my 1990 Acura.
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...dvantages.html

Originally Posted by Minidrivr
I bought the glovebox organizer...
I bought the factory glovebox organizer and immediately returned it. I couldn't make it fit, and neither could the SA. The one from GoMiniGo.com is much better. I have it and like it.

Originally Posted by RaceFace
I have the rubber mats and am diggin' them. Easy to clean. Look good to me.

Originally Posted by tim781996
I opted not to get this to save weight. I'm not missing it, but my pet iriomote cat constanly complains about not having Jamoca Almond Fudge on tap.

The only accessory I wish I had gotten was the self dimming rearview mirror and the Homelink buttons for the automatic gate.
The mirror is OK, except that it dims in my garage and occasional other inappropriate places. Usually it is nice not to have to deal with it.

For me, the Homelink in the mirror is useless. For one, it doesn't work with my 20 year-old garage door opener. Secondly, the reach to the button is awkward from my seating position. I've Velcroed my garage door remote to the side of the console where it is in easy reach.

The most regretted accessory was the center armrest. It came with the Bluetooth option. There were no adaptors for my phone, it is in the way when shifting, it doesn't fold back far enough, and the top wouldn't stay closed. I ripped it out.

Things I wasn't sure about when I ordered, but am glad to have:
NAV: integrates many features other than navigation. The audio, Bluetooth, and many car settings are controlled via the NAV screen. I've been very happy with the navigation and traffic alter system. It has guided me around jams in San Jose and Los Angeles.

Anthracite Headliner
: looks richer than the standard headliner. It shouldn't have cost extra, but glad I went for it anyway.

Heated Seats: Even though I'm in California I found them quite nice while waiting for the heater to get up to temp. The MINI engine takes about twice the time to reach operating temp than my Acura.

Rear Fog Lights: We often have fog on the coast and it is nice to make the MINI more visible to cars behind me. They have also gotten a few tailgaters to back off. These are folks who were probably doing it without realizing, and they got the message with the lights. It doesn't work on aggressive tailgaters who want to go faster, but there is no place to pass. However, I don't really have that problem in the MINI. A few pickups have regretted tailgating me after I didn't slow down for a curve, but usually no one is wanting to go faster. The rear fogs also complete the row of toggle switches. The missing switch annoys some people.

Old 03-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Miniman3
1st Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996

That's funny!

Old 03-21-2008, 05:25 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
intersting read!

i had HiD's on my last two cars, and while they do illuminate brighter, I never liked their "white" light look and feel ... it feels more unnatural than the halogens

my next car won't have them ... thanks for saving me a few hundred bucks

Old 03-21-2008, 09:23 PM
pyskacz
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rdeppen
I got the rubber mats vs. the carpet as my work environment can get kinda dirty. Rubber was a must. Hate that they slide around like mad but some sticky velcro fixed that.

I'm not one of you nut jobs that has the patience to order a car and wait 4 months for it to be built and shipped. I buy right off the lot with whatever option they come as configured with. The one thing my S doesn't have that I wish it did was Cruise Control. Other then that the car had everything else I wanted. I'm gonna add the Ipod/phone bluetooth adapted myself as I have friend at Vista BMW in service for a nice deep discount on parts
I am a lot like you in the fact that I don't have the patience required to wait for months on a ship to dock. My clubman didn't come with the cruise control either, nor any other buttons on the steering wheel. I had all those on my R56 and have to tell you....I don't miss them. In the time that I had the R56, I don't think that I have ever used the cruise control. And it doesn't take a whole lot more effort for me to move my hand over to the easily reachable stereo to adjust the volume/switch channels etc.
The option that came with the car that I do love is the iPod adaptor. It is really nice to be able to see the playlists without having to glance into the cupholder.

Old 03-21-2008, 11:52 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
I forgot to comment on the Multi-Function Steering Wheel. I use it constantly. My mp3 tracks (mp3 CDs I burned) are from a variety of sources and have different volume levels. I'm changing the volume frequently. I really like not having to reach down for the oddly located MINI volume ****. I feel it is safer to be able to just do it with my thumb on the steering wheel.

I've used the cruise control a lot on trips to Los Angeles or San Jose. It is nice to be able to relax my right foot for awhile. Also, the MINI seems to want to go a lot faster than I should be going, so it helps me stay legal.

I'd really like to have iPod Integration. It wasn't available when I ordered, and the dealer installation puts it over $600. Someday I may do it...

Old 03-22-2008, 07:17 AM
thomastrain
1st Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
RaceFace - Jayson at Classic MINI will give you a deal on the carpeted mats if you want to order a set. Mention NAM and get 20% off most accessories. I ordered the carpeted mats, rubber mats, wheel locks, and three oil filters from Jayson and got 20% off the list prices for entire order.
Is there a web link for orders or do you have to purchase in person to get teh discount?

Old 03-22-2008, 07:59 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I think the MFSW is a must. Even for resale value. Now days is very difficult to sell a car without cruise control.

Old 03-22-2008, 08:00 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
intersting read!

i had HiD's on my last two cars, and while they do illuminate brighter, I never liked their "white" light look and feel ... it feels more unnatural than the halogens

my next car won't have them ... thanks for saving me a few hundred bucks
Excellent article. It totally debunks the myth that anyone who doesn't order Xenins is some kind of idiot...

Old 03-22-2008, 08:01 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Ditto on the iPod integration!

Old 03-22-2008, 08:29 AM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Excellent article. It totally debunks the myth that anyone who doesn't order Xenins is some kind of idiot...
Everyone's eyes are a little different, especially when it comes to night vision. Some people see a certain range of light (temp) better than others. I think that's why you get some people who hate HIDs and some that don't.

Quick Reply: R55 Accessory Mistakes?