R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman sightings... while driving your Clubman!

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2008 | 05:09 AM
ClubDal
3rd Gear
I had my third Charleston area Clubman sighting yesterday (still only one while IN my Clubman). Was riding home from work yesterday and David said "There's a Mini coming up...with checkerboards". A few moments later it passed us, and we realized it was a Clubman! Pepper White with Black Roof & Racing stripes, with Checkerboard Mirror Caps and rearview mirror. Pretty sweet!

Old 11-27-2008 | 06:08 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Drove 800 miles today, through NC, TN, VA, WV, MD, PA, NJ, NY, and CT.

I didn't see a single Clubman!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-27-2008 | 06:33 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva

That's a lotta miles, but not enough in the Clubman! Just kidding. But wow, no Clubman sightings on your drive...

Old 11-28-2008 | 07:54 AM
jedm3
2nd Gear
Wednesday night on Falls Rd. in Maryland, saw a silver clubbie pulled to side. Stopped to ask if ok...he was just on phone. Good Call!
Then saw him again this morning and followed him for several miles.
Glad he couldn't see mine cause she is DIRTY.
Cheers,
John

Old 11-28-2008 | 01:40 PM
MiniBoz
2nd Gear
Finally! I saw my first Clubman in the wild! This morning around 11:40 83 southbound around Harrisburg. Yellow with a silver top! 1 in 3 months!

Old 11-28-2008 | 09:02 PM
hoonu
5th Gear

Stopped at Starbucks a few times, didja?

Sorry, we got a late start headed back west. Looks like you headed up the opposite way from us though.

Old 11-29-2008 | 09:41 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
Saw a NFR in Sarasota on Procter tonight.

Old 11-30-2008 | 05:52 AM
geoffv
3rd Gear

I saw you on the way back Lady G I drove back yesterday from Annapolis back to MA. Our 7 hour drive turned into into 11hrs.
It was a LOOOONNG ride, but the kids did really well all things considering.

I was in stop and go traffic for 4 hours and still managed 33mpg for the trip. Going down I did 35mpg and didn't have to fill my tank up until I hit 460 miles. It was so nice to blow by all the backed up gas stations

Old 11-30-2008 | 04:33 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by geoffv
I saw you on the way back Lady G I drove back yesterday from Annapolis back to MA. Our 7 hour drive turned into into 11hrs.
It was a LOOOONNG ride, but the kids did really well all things considering.

I was in stop and go traffic for 4 hours and still managed 33mpg for the trip. Going down I did 35mpg and didn't have to fill my tank up until I hit 460 miles. It was so nice to blow by all the backed up gas stations
HA! Wouldn't that have been cool if we saw each other??

I was supposed to go the whole way back home today (13 hours) but I am in a hotel in VA. I have 5 hours to go. Almost got rear ended at least half a dozen times in PA and VA...the drivers are insane out there today. I said screw this, I am not gonna get in an accident!

I got 33 MPG on the way up, and that was with some serious speeding...met a great driving mate on the road in an M3...ZOOOOM!

Old 11-30-2008 | 04:41 PM
Otra
6th Gear
LadyG - you've been holding out on me!!!!! And - geoffv, you, too! We were driving from Annapolis, MD to Rye, NY yesterday and finally got home at around 6:30PM after very slow going on the NJ Turnpike between exits 5 and 8A. While driving I commented to my husband that we have only seen two MINI Clubmen in our many drives to and fro.

Too bad we couldn't have met for some coffee en route!

Old 12-01-2008 | 06:49 AM
geoffv
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
LadyG - you've been holding out on me!!!!! And - geoffv, you, too! We were driving from Annapolis, MD to Rye, NY yesterday and finally got home at around 6:30PM after very slow going on the NJ Turnpike between exits 5 and 8A. While driving I commented to my husband that we have only seen two MINI Clubmen in our many drives to and fro.

Too bad we couldn't have met for some coffee en route!
NOW that would have been cool .
We headed back form Annapolis on Saturday. I thought I'd avoid the traffic, boy was I wrong . We left at 1pm and rolled into our driveway at 11:30pm. Our plan was to stop in NYC for dinner and give the kids a break, but that never happended. It got so bad I actually jumped off 95 and took 206 to 130 in NJ for a while to avoid a 17 mile back up.

For those questioning kids in a Clubman and space I am living proof that it works. I've got a 4 1/2 and a 3 year old. We easily got all our gear in the back and I could actually still see out the back. I made a plate to mount the DVD player between the seats and we were good to go. I'm still amazed at how many miles you can drive on the highway with a tank of gas.

Next long trip will be for Christmas up to Stowe, VT so I'll be able to test our Clubie in snow with a roof box. I'm curious what my mileage drop will be with the roofbox I have.

Old 12-01-2008 | 05:16 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
What a great day to motor here on SoCal..On Kanan Road around 2:00pm,saw a Pepper White/Black Roof headed to beach, I was going away from beach and flashed my lights..Sorry no photo

Old 12-01-2008 | 08:12 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear

Easy there. I feel your pain! Believe me. I was in San Francisco for eight days for a cousin's wedding. I saw what must have been nearly 50 MINIs and
NOT ONE CLUBMAN. Zero, zip, zilch, NONE!
Unbelievable. You think they'd have heard of the car by now.

Old 12-01-2008 | 08:17 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
I was supposed to go the whole way back home today (13 hours) but I am in a hotel in VA. I have 5 hours to go. Almost got rear ended at least half a dozen times in PA and VA...the drivers are insane out there today. I said screw this, I am not gonna get in an accident!
Consider yourself fortunate. I've been rear-ended TWICE! The first time, the slowpoke in front of me took forever to realize that a GREEN LIGHT MEANS HIT THE GAS!! I hit the brakes and wham! Someone hit me!
The second time, the SAME thing: the person in front thinks it's safe to cross an intersection at 1 mph. I couldn't move left because of the heavy traffic. Of course, someone hit me again! Why do people in Texas love to breath down my neck when they're behind me at the traffic light? When I drive on the highway, I keep a safety cushion of the size of a standard MINI between me and the car in front. People always ALLLWAYS butt in and take my safety cushion. No wonder there have been three accidents on the highway in the last month. Some people just shouldn't be allowed to own a car.

Old 12-01-2008 | 08:20 PM
ClubmanS
|
6th Gear
Don't expect to see many Clubmans on the roads as MINi is not producing and importing many of them. Here in Miami sometimes days go by before I see one. Keep in mind here you can see 50-100 MINIs on a daily basis (We have 5 dealers in a 75 mile radius).

At least enjoy the fact that the Clubman will remain the "rarer" model of the lineup for quite sometime.

Old 12-01-2008 | 08:23 PM
ClubmanS
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
Easy there. I feel your pain! Believe me. I was in San Francisco for eight days for a cousin's wedding. I saw what must have been nearly 50 MINIs and
NOT ONE CLUBMAN. Zero, zip, zilch, NONE!
Unbelievable. You think they'd have heard of the car by now.

Like I said, MINI has intentionally from the get go (And now with the global financial crisis) limit and restrict Clubman production. The US is just getting a handful of cars. The Clubman has never been slated to be a "volume" seller like the hardtops. You wil always see more hardtops because they are a) cheaper and b) most people prefer the hardtops visually over the Clubman

The Clubman is sort of an "acquired taste" if you will.

Old 12-01-2008 | 08:45 PM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Surfink
What a great day to motor here on SoCal..On Kanan Road around 2:00pm,saw a Pepper White/Black Roof headed to beach, I was going away from beach and flashed my lights..Sorry no photo
Wow...that could've been rasputinj and me!! We LOVE going through Kanan, but this time it wasn't us (we have a PW with a black roof)...Glad you had that sighting!!

Old 12-01-2008 | 09:13 PM
Surfink
4th Gear
I know the outlook your pic is @. I thought that it was you guys.. oh well, next time..

Old 12-02-2008 | 06:33 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
I made three trips to Mass. on three different days last week. I saw a HC/HC Clubman headed north on I95 on Saturday afternoon. That's a very rare occurrence.

Old 12-06-2008 | 08:22 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Finally...today's the day!!! Specifically, my third Clubman sighting "in the wild", but our very first while actually driving our Clubman! A sharp-looking PW/PW/Black on I-4 westbound approaching the downtown exits. We played "tag" for a little while (admiring each other from all angles) and then flashed a wave as we passed. Certainly put a smile on my face and was a great way to start the day!

My second sighting came a couple weeks ago when I spotted and parked next to a beautiful SS/S at a Dr.'s office (since I was in my Miata I figured that didn't count). However, I could feel my turn coming very soon, and this morning it happened! As others have mentioned, I see MINIs everywhere, but the Clubman is a rare bird so far around here.

Last edited by 3DogDepot; 12-06-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: correction/color
Old 12-06-2008 | 10:35 AM
ClubDal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
Finally...today's the day!!! Specifically, my third Clubman sighting "in the wild", but our very first while actually driving our Clubman! A sharp-looking PW/PW/Black on I-4 westbound approaching the downtown exits. We played "tag" for a little while (admiring each other from all angles) and then flashed a wave as we passed. Certainly put a smile on my face and was a great way to start the day!

My second sighting came a couple weeks ago when I spotted and parked next to a beautiful SS/SS at a Dr.'s office (since I was in my Miata I figured that didn't count). However, I could feel my turn coming very soon, and this morning it happened! As others have mentioned, I see MINIs everywhere, but the Clubman is a rare bird so far around here.
WOOOO-HOOO!!! Congratulations. It's about time!

Old 12-06-2008 | 11:07 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ClubDal
WOOOO-HOOO!!! Congratulations. It's about time!
Thanks; plus, I also had the good fortune to have our cell phone camera handy to document it for the "Clubman Capture" thread...YES !!!

Old 12-06-2008 | 11:59 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Congratulations 3Dog!!!! And you had your camera, too! Now you've got me beat for sure.

Spied a CR/BLK with black stripes driving on the same road as I was but in the opposite direction in Port Chester, NY. The owner, a woman, was clearly lost in thought since she didn't even look at me as we passed. Have to say that CR/BLK has really grown on me.

Old 12-06-2008 | 01:30 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Congratulations 3Dog!!!! And you had your camera, too! Now you've got me beat for sure.

Spied a CR/BLK with black stripes driving on the same road as I was but in the opposite direction in Port Chester, NY. The owner, a woman, was clearly lost in thought since she didn't even look at me as we passed. Have to say that CR/BLK has really grown on me.
Thanks; it was about time everything came together for me!

The first Clubman I spotted on the road was actually a CR/CR (Black tail only) and, man, was it a head-turner! The body-colored roof looks especially good on the Clubman, IMO, so much so that I may even consider going that way next time around.

Old 12-07-2008 | 04:40 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Spotted a PW/B about 10:30PM last night near Landrum SC (NC border) on I-26 heading west! I passed them and beeped.

Quick Reply: R55 Clubman sightings... while driving your Clubman!