R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 MINI Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 06:45 PM
harold47
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Alarm

Is the Clubman prewired for an alarm and dealer installed or is it a factory installed item?
Thanks.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 PM
caulyne
4th Gear
Originally Posted by harold47
Is the Clubman prewired for an alarm and dealer installed or is it a factory installed item?
Thanks.
I believe you can do it either way-- but I think the factory alarm is less expensive overall.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:25 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The alarm is a dealer installed accessory. You can't get it from the factory.

I believe the car comes pre-wired for it. I think it is a big waste of money IMO. If a would be thieve is hell bent in stealing your car, nothing will deter him.

Personally, if my car is ever stolen, I hope is never found or found in pieces. I would never want to get back a car that could have been used to commit another crime...yuck!

Sorry to be so brutally honest, but car alarms are so 1970s.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:40 PM
shokk
7th Gear
It's just a deterrent, since not every car thief is the mastermind we usually make them out to be.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Otra
6th Gear
But don't forget that the MINIs have an engine immobilizer.

Last edited by Otra; 04-08-2008 at 07:51 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:49 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
True. But here in my neck of the woods thieves laugh at them. Not worth the money. Same with LoJacks. I was told about the story of a Jeep Cherokee that was stolen in Miami in the late 1990's and was found in South America like 5 years later, after the local police picked up the distress signal from the LoJack still inside the car.

When you live in a port/border town, cars dissapear too quickly for police to even gain a trace on them.

I do not bother with alarms anymore. Never had a car stolen (knocking on sheetmetal). But if that should happen, that's what the insurance is for.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Otra
6th Gear
No, no, I'm not saying to go with the alarm. Here's an old thread we've both posted on https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ht=immobilizer that might be helpful if harold or anyone is interested in some more reading.

It was because of either the thread I've just referenced, or another one on another board, that I decided not to spend the money on the alarm this time around - and put it towards something more enjoyable.

The immobilizer gives me, in NY, the insurance discount - not the alarm.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:02 PM
Mantid
2nd Gear
The factory will also install the alarm. They did on mine, and it's on the configurator. However, LoJack is a dealer installed item.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:11 PM
harold47
3rd Gear
Thanks for all the input. I ordered my last Mini with the alarm, I seem to recall a flashing red light on the washer stalk. I guess if I get the alarm Dealer installed that light won't be there?
For me, the alarm is more of a dterent, with the red light and the siren- not concerened about a professional car thief.
I am still not sure whether to have it installed or not and I appreciate your time and advice.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:16 PM
elprofe
5th Gear
last dealer installed alarm i purchased was back in 99, needless to say the car was stolen.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:09 PM
Miniman3
1st Gear
I installed the alarm on my clubby. It was installed by the dealer. The mini is very hard to steal due to the engine immobilizer however they could tow it away if they wanted it bad enough. My reasoning for the alarm was more to deter items from in the car from being stolen. I always have a lot of triathlon gear in the car (bike, shoes etc.). The alarm won;t stop them if they want it bad enough but it may deter 20 % of the would be thiefs. The rest will have to smash and run. So I try to park in plain view so hopefully someone will see them and get a description etc. At least it makes me feel warm & fuzzy! Even if it is a false sense of security!

Old 04-09-2008, 01:17 PM
caulyne
4th Gear
For us, an audible alarm was the most important thing. We don't have one on our Liberty, and there are times when I wish we did. In most of the places we've lived, we're not dealing with professional thieves, but more often than not, teenagers. Therefore, an alarm going off in the driveway is going to scare them off. Over the life of the vehicle, well worth it.

Old 04-09-2008, 01:21 PM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Originally Posted by caulyne
For us, an audible alarm was the most important thing. We don't have one on our Liberty, and there are times when I wish we did. In most of the places we've lived, we're not dealing with professional thieves, but more often than not, teenagers. Therefore, an alarm going off in the driveway is going to scare them off. Over the life of the vehicle, well worth it.
I agree Cauylne...We live in a Low Crime Area (I could be Nieve), but I feel much better with Molly equiped with an Alarm. If not for theft purposes then just for my peace of
Mind!
MA is saying Thursday, Friday or Saturday of NEXT WEEK for Delivery!!!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:04 PM
Mantid
2nd Gear
I ordered my last Mini with the alarm, I seem to recall a flashing red light on the washer stalk. I guess if I get the alarm Dealer installed that light won't be there?
Harold, the flashing red light on the factory installed alarm on the Clubman is built into the top of the tachometer housing and easily seen through the windshield and/or front windows.

I don't know where, if any, the dealer installed flashing light would be.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:10 PM
harold47
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Mantid
Harold, the flashing red light on the factory installed alarm on the Clubman is built into the top of the tachometer housing and easily seen through the windshield and/or front windows.

I don't know where, if any, the dealer installed flashing light would be.
Thanks for the information.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Soonersdude
1st Gear
Ill ask the more direct question.

If you dont order the alarm on the car, does the red light still flash when you lock the car? Only curious.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 PM
harold47
3rd Gear
i'm going to skip the alarm- just heard from the MA that because I didn't order it with the order- it would be VERY expensive for the service dept to install.

Maybe I'll go to a local arm shop and just have them put in a flashing led that will go on when the car is shut off?

Old 04-10-2008, 02:36 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Soonersdude
Ill ask the more direct question.

If you dont order the alarm on the car, does the red light still flash when you lock the car? Only curious.
It never did before (in my other MINIs) and I'd doubt that it would be different in the Clubman - but I don't have mine yet.

I'm sure someone else will come in and post soon.

Harold - that flashing light might be handy.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:06 AM
Soonersdude
1st Gear
So, how and how much?

i'm going to skip the alarm- just heard from the MA that because I didn't order it with the order- it would be VERY expensive for the service dept to install.

Maybe I'll go to a local arm shop and just have them put in a flashing led that will go on when the car is shut off?

Old 04-12-2008, 08:25 AM
harold47
3rd Gear
Didn't even ask how much after he said it was too much.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:42 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
I asked this ? of my MA when I was getting ready to order, mind you mine is 'justacooper'. What was the difference between the two alarms shown in the configurator? He noted that the $500 was the factory installed alarm, and the $250 alarm was the alarm itself without installation, which the dealer would do. Did not get a quote on installation since I ordered the factory alarm. Hope this helps.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:52 AM
helloimpaul
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RJKimbell
I asked this ? of my MA when I was getting ready to order, mind you mine is 'justacooper'. What was the difference between the two alarms shown in the configurator? He noted that the $500 was the factory installed alarm, and the $250 alarm was the alarm itself without installation, which the dealer would do. Did not get a quote on installation since I ordered the factory alarm. Hope this helps.
Oh wow, thanks for the info. I've been trying to figure out the difference between those two alarms on the configurator!

I ended up not getting the car alarm installed tho.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Soonersdude
1st Gear
Sorry, should have clarified. How much was it going to be to put the flashing LED in there?

Didn't even ask how much after he said it was too much.