R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 "Newbie" questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 04:22 PM
buckbs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Newbie" questions

As the owner of a new Clubman S, I have two questions ...... Do I need to use the screw down fastners with the rubber mats(Mini issued) that I just bought?

And is there a better way to learn to use the radio (top of the line with all the bells and whistles) than the small hard to understand thin brochure that they furnished? I've got a degree in chemistry, so I'm not an idot, but I am having a very hard time figuring out how to use this sound system. The instructions are so short and abbreviated that they are not easy to use because they use symbols instead of printed instructions.

Very pleased with the vehicle except for these two issues.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:17 PM
peet
1st Gear
I have the same rubber mats and my search thru this forum resulted in the suggestion of velcro... Haven't tried that.

As for the radio... the best solution is time and fiddling with it. Also digging around these forums will assist in the learning curve.

Old 04-14-2008, 05:28 PM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi Buck and welcome to the "Club"!

I can't help with the mats as I don't have 'em.

But the radio is easier than the awful leaflet makes it seem:

Switch on and get into what MINI call "radio ready" mode by touching the start button WITHOUT depressing the clutch. Then:
  1. Press "Audio" - to the left of the volume control.
  2. Turn the volume control to select the source from the menu that appears.
  3. Press the volume button to change to that source.
(I can't help with tuning each source as what I do in the UK won't help you very much but it's simple here so I expect it will be for you.)

Then to set the tone controls:
  1. Press the music note button above and to the left of "Audio" and turn the volume button to select Bass, Treble and so on and press the Volume button to confirm each selection as you work through them.
  2. Then turn the volume button to increase or decrease each value in turn, pressing the volume button again to store each setting as you proceed.
You'll probably want to start with everything at zero but I find Bass +1 and the Fader +1 to the rear is better, with everything else at 0.

Good luck!

Old 04-14-2008, 07:04 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
buckbs - why don't you want to use the "screw down" mat fasteners? They install or uninstall in a few seconds, and they hold the mat securely. What else do you need?
As for the radio, it's a mess, plain and simple. BMW must have sent the "I-Drive" team over to MINI to design the radio. Looks cool, but is the most over-engineered and counterintuitive setup I've ever seen. Luckily, I have an aftermarket XM setup, so I only use the volume controls on the steering wheel, or the CD player. Still, after a month of ownership I still need to check the manual every once in a while, and those instructions are awful, as well.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:40 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Never heard of screw down mat fasteners.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Buckeye Clubman
1st Gear
Velcoed Mats

I was concerned about the Mini rubber mats interfering with the pedals, so I used velcro on the carpet and use the large round carpet areas on the underside of the rubber mats.

So far, works great. Just need to be a bit careful when taking the mats out for cleaning.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:25 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Otra, my MA handed me a bag with the srew-in fasteners along with the mats. I really didn't want to screw anything into my carpet and it really didn't look like the rubber floor mats were really going to move around that much. Well, they do and I still don't want to screw the fasteners in so I will try to attach velcro to the carpet in a less damaging way. But until then, I will just keep pulling them back at the end of each motoring session.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:08 PM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Use the screw-in fasteners. My rubber mats only came with one set. I put them on the driver's side. The mat stays put. Whenever I have a passenger, that mat slides all over the place. If you don't use them, send a set to me. I want to add them to the passenger side.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:15 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thank you for explaining this new thing - how strange! I'm wondering why they aren't made the same way as the Cooper's...maybe they are the Cooper's and they're just not big enough for the Clubman? Just kidding, I hope!

Glad to have the foreknowledge!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:19 AM
WHM
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Buckeye Clubman
I was concerned about the Mini rubber mats interfering with the pedals, so I used velcro on the carpet and use the large round carpet areas on the underside of the rubber mats.

So far, works great. Just need to be a bit careful when taking the mats out for cleaning.
I am not MAD since we are Clubman owners... but YOU COPIED MY SIGNATURE

Old 04-15-2008, 06:54 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
i remember those fasteners that came with the rubber mats. never used them, or velcro for that matter. the rubber mats never slid, even without them.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:48 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I don't use the velcro fasteners either. As for the radio, you need to sit down and play with it. Once you figure it out, it works very well. but i think the design doesn't lend itself to be very intuitive from the get go.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:42 AM
buckbs
2nd Gear
On the job training

So far the rubber mats have not moved since I installed them yesterday. If they do, I will use the screw-in anchors.

As far as the radio is concerned, it looks like it will be "tinker with it until you figure it out" or the familiar phrase, "on the job training". It may take a while.

Thanks for your comments and help.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lurch70
i remember those fasteners that came with the rubber mats. never used them, or velcro for that matter. the rubber mats never slid, even without them.
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
I don't use the velcro fasteners either. As for the radio, you need to sit down and play with it. Once you figure it out, it works very well. but i think the design doesn't lend itself to be very intuitive from the get go.
Please, please, send your unused fasteners to:

RobinCasady.com
316 Mid Valley Center, Suite 112
Carmel, CA 93923

I'd pay for postage and give you a discount on a shift ****.

The radio is fairly easy to use with the NAV screen. Don't know about without it.

Old 04-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Very nice shift ***** there Robin!

Old 04-15-2008, 04:12 PM
Buckeye Clubman
1st Gear
Not intentionally

Attempted to grab one of the images. I'll take a real photo this weekend.

Originally Posted by WHM
I am not MAD since we are Clubman owners... but YOU COPIED MY SIGNATURE

Old 04-15-2008, 07:13 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The screw-down fasteners go into existing holes in the floor carpeting. You're not creating new holes, just using those that are already there. Besides, you're going to put your mats over the screw-downs. If you don't like that idea, I guess there are other options, but I still don't see why it would be an issue for anyone.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:09 AM
Aluvendale
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
The screw-down fasteners go into existing holes in the floor carpeting. You're not creating new holes, just using those that are already there. Besides, you're going to put your mats over the screw-downs. If you don't like that idea, I guess there are other options, but I still don't see why it would be an issue for anyone.
There are existing holes?! I didn't see them. Thus, I was scared to screw holes into my carpet. I'll have to run out there right now.

The dealer only gave me one set. The passenger side mat doesn't have the fabric on the bottom to use with the screw-downs (although I'm sure something could be done about that).

Old 04-16-2008, 06:33 AM
Aluvendale
2nd Gear
hmmm, nope, no holes in my floorboard. . . .

Old 04-16-2008, 08:19 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Robin has some very sweet shift ***** for sure..