R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 $$$ of extended service contract

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 07:18 PM
rockhouse
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$$$ of extended service contract

Talked to my MA today about the ESC. He said the cost was $2,300. I was under the impression it was about $1400. What gives?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:27 PM
69Mini
1st Gear
Extended contracts are negotiable. In the end, not worth the money. Consumers Reports has done extensive studies and surveys on contracts and has found most buyers don't get the benefit of money spent. Use your money for a vacation or two.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:32 PM
rockhouse
2nd Gear
Normally I agree. I never buy extended warranties. But, this is more for hedging my bets against a possible clutch problem many Mini owners have had. The ESC covers clutch replacement which normally costs about $1400.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:41 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Extended warranty (aftermarket) and MINI Extended Service Contract are 2 different animals.

I paid $1,350 plus tax for my 6 year/100K mile scheduled service extension for my '05 MCS. Best money ever spent. Used it for the first time last week to get the rear brakes of the car replaced

I will get it for the Clubman in a couple of years. It can be purchased at any time during the first 3 years or 36K miles of the car from the first "In service" date.

Some dealers markup the extended service contract. Unfortunately you can not purchase it from a remote MINI dealer as the car and key (which must be inserted on a reader) need to be present at the time the service advisor issues the contract.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:43 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 69Mini
Extended contracts are negotiable. In the end, not worth the money. Consumers Reports has done extensive studies and surveys on contracts and has found most buyers don't get the benefit of money spent. Use your money for a vacation or two.
Sorry, I disagree. My rear brake job at the dealer would have run up easily $400+ out of the contract. Also, the MINI extended service contract covers your entire clutch assembly. This is a 9+ hour job (The engine needs to come out, at least in the R53) so parts and labor easily can climb up to $1,500-$2,000 just for the job

Old 04-17-2008, 07:47 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How long beyond the standard 3-year service agreement will the extension take you?

I got the fourth year/extra 14k miles of service free from MINIUSA, but I'd have been upset if I had actually paid money for it, because it's looking like I'm not going to have *any* scheduled maintenance come due during the period of the extension - not even an oil change.

The only way I'll get any use out of it at all is if I happen to need brake pads or a clutch during the 14k miles of the extension. Brake pads are cheap, and if you look at the "expected cost" of a clutch replacement (cost of the replacement multiplied by the probability of needing it during the extended period), paying for the extended service agreement would have been a losing proposition for me.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 PM
rockhouse
2nd Gear
ClubmanS,
Could you give me details to take to my MA?

Old 04-17-2008, 07:50 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
6 years or 100K miles, whichever occurs first. Contract is valid in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico (Includes Alaska and Hawaii... Didn't know about Alaska no MINI dealers there)

My factory clutch in the 05 MCS died at 25K miles. The OEM clutch is a weak link. I figure this plan is added insurance should the clutch needs replacing again before 100K, which is very likely.

Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
How long beyond the standard 3-year service agreement will the extension take you?

I got the fourth year/extra 14k miles of service free from MINIUSA, but I'd have been upset if I had actually paid money for it, because it's looking like I'm not going to have *any* scheduled maintenance come due during the period of the extension - not even an oil change.

The only way I'll get any use out of it at all is if I happen to need brake pads or a clutch during the 14k miles of the extension. Brake pads are cheap, and if you look at the "expected cost" of a clutch replacement (cost of the replacement multiplied by the probability of needing it during the extended period), paying for the extended service agreement would have been a losing proposition for me.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:08 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
6 years or 100K miles, whichever occurs first. Contract is valid in the US, Canada and Puerto Rico (Includes Alaska and Hawaii... Didn't know about Alaska no MINI dealers there)

My factory clutch in the 05 MCS died at 25K miles. The OEM clutch is a weak link. I figure this plan is added insurance should the clutch needs replacing again before 100K, which is very likely.
Strange - I know a *lot* of first-gen 'S' models that have gone a lot longer with no clutch problems. If it's a systemic flaw, it's not manifesting itself very often.

But if you pay the dealer rate for things like rotors and pads, and if you're confident that you'll need a new clutch between 36k and 100k, then I can see how the ESC would be worth $1400-2000 to you. Honestly, I doubt the probability of needing a new clutch in the first 100k miles approaches 100%, though.

Also, does the Clubman even share the same clutch with the R53?

Old 04-17-2008, 09:58 PM
warev
2nd Gear
Just wondering, is the ESC a popular add-on. I also read about some trouble with the clutch and transmission, is this a normal problem with earlier models?

Old 04-17-2008, 10:17 PM
ScottRiqui
OVERDRIVE
You have to remember that on any forum, you hear a lot more from the people with problems than you hear from the people without problems. Plus the number of active posters here is a vanishingly-small sample of the total population of MINI owners, so it can be hard to draw accurate conclusions.

Also, in the automotive industry, a premature failure rate of even 10% for a component would be considered huge and would lead to widespread free out-of-warranty repairs, recalls, etcetera.

For a new car (any brand or model), the premature failure rate for a specific component is probably in the low single digits, if not lower.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:42 PM
rockhouse
2nd Gear
Good point Scott. I think I will probably pass on the ESC.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:25 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Strange - I know a *lot* of first-gen 'S' models that have gone a lot longer with no clutch problems. If it's a systemic flaw, it's not manifesting itself very often.

But if you pay the dealer rate for things like rotors and pads, and if you're confident that you'll need a new clutch between 36k and 100k, then I can see how the ESC would be worth $1400-2000 to you. Honestly, I doubt the probability of needing a new clutch in the first 100k miles approaches 100%, though.

Also, does the Clubman even share the same clutch with the R53?
Unfortunately the OEM clutch issues of the R53 have made it to the second gen MINI as well

I wanted to add that I drive between 16K-20K miles per year. Also I tend to keep my cars for a very long time. My plan with the '05 MCS is to hold on to it for another 6-7 years. This is one reason why the extended contract makes sense in my situation. I must admit, however, that my second clutch is holding up much better than the factory one and hope that it lasts me to 90K-100K but only time with tell.

Ditto for the Clubman. We want to keep the Clubman for 9 years and will be the primary family truckster and roadtrip highway cruiser. Again the extended service plan will make sense in this situation. The Clubby is automatic, so at least no LuK OEM clutch kit worries with that one.

If you are the type of person that like to take care of your own vehicle (And have the place and tools to do so), the extended contract may not be a good decision. Ditto for the individual that drives, say, less than 10K-12K miles per year or the folks that like to trade-in or sell their vehicles every 3 to 5 years.

On the other hand, if you like to keep your cars well beyond the limited warranty, do not have the time, place, tools, skill to do your own maintenance and drive a good chunk of miles per year, then this may be a better fit for you. I also like the fact that the dealer will be doing all maintenance of the car until 100K miles (Or 6 years) and since I am very confident on their skill level and service I personally have no problem with it.

Also the plan adds certain value to the car. If for whatever reason you need to sell the car, the extended maintenance contract can be transferred to a second owner at no extra charge, making your MINI even more appealing to a pool of prospective buyers. If your car gets totaled, MINI will prorate the plan and refund your money for it.

I recommend evaluating your situation and see if this makes sense to you. It did for me but it may not be the most sounding financial decision for the next person.

I still think that this plan at $1,400 is a very good value. But when some dealers mark it up to the stratosphere, then it becomes a questionable investment.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:31 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
The MINI clutch, as admitted by my dealer, is a well known problem area. This, however, does not mean that your OEM clutch will crap out on you prematurely, but the odds of that happening are much higher than anyone would like them to be.

While I love shifting my own gears, unless MINI makes drastic changes to the quality of materials + design of the clutch assembly, I think my next MINI will be automatic. I am very impressed with the AISIN automatic in the Clubman. Yes not the same as the fantastic feel of the Getrag (The manual gearbox is rock solid, my caveat is the clutch), but one of the best slushboxes in the market today.

Well see what happens with the second clutch. I have an extra replacement flywheel in the service history of the car should it ever need it.

Old 04-18-2008, 04:03 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Many thanks for taking the time to go into such detail and explain why you have felt it was a wise decision for you to go this route. This time around, it may be something I'll seriously consider.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:06 AM
kbleicher
4th Gear
I just ordered my Clubman yesterday and I talked to the finance department for quite a while.

The extended warranty I was shown didn't cover a clutch replacement (at least not the extended warranty that she thought was best). So you may want to confirm that when you evaluate plans.

An extended maintenance contract takes you to 6 years / 100,000 miles. It's offered by Mini, and I was quoted $1,395. Maintenance contracts are attached to the car VIN, meaning if you sell it before the term you can't apply it to a new Mini. You can, however, up your asking price since it'll continue to apply for the new owner. Extended maintenance covers:
- brake pads / rotors
- external engine belts
- wiper blade inserts
- clutch disks
- air filter
- coolant flushes, brake fuild flushes, and corrosion inspections
- taxes on the actual repair, parts, or services
- all factory recommended maintenance as determined by the Service Interval Indicator or Condition Based Data (if available). Translation: If you want to change oil at 5000 and the light hasn't come on, you're going to pay for it yourself
- labor performed by the MINI Factory Trained Technicians
- Original MINI parts and fluids must be used (including the oil mixture)

Not included in the maintenance plan:
- Taxes on the plan upgrade itself
- Gasoline and additives
- Windshield washer additive
- Items covered by the new car warranty
- Tires, alignment, balance, rotation
- Wear
- Maintenance or repairs not performed by an authorized MINI Dealer
- Vehicles used in competitive events
- Topping off low fluids

The extended Warranty is something you can shop around (on the Internet, etc.). The one she showed me is provided by "Maximum Care". It takes you to 7 Years / 60,000 miles. Cost is $2000.
- No deductible
- If you cancel it before the end of the term they'll reimburse you a pro-rated amount
- The plan includes a VERY detailed list of the items covered
- The plan covers things the regular MINI warranty does NOT cover. So it just doesn't extend the warranty; it also improves Mini's warranty by covering things that the Mini warranty doesn't.
- Roadside assitance ($100 sign and go towing)
- Discounted rental ($35)
- Electrical Systems
- Engine Computers
- Shocks
- Torsion Bars
- Engine Mounts
- All Seat, Hood, Deck Lid, Liftgate, Door & Window Mechanisms

Not covered by this specific plan:
- Maintenance Services
- Glass, Plastic Lenses
- Body & Paint Items (including soft trim)
- Wear items such as a manual clutch assembly, brake pads, shoes, rotors, drums and belts
- Snow plows (go for it!), winches, and trailer hitches

Hmmm.. So what does one do? Still trying to figure out what is best for me. My Mini will be low mileage.. Interesting...

Old 04-20-2008, 10:27 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
BMW/MINI does not sell or underwrite extended warranty contracts. For that you have to go aftermarket. I decided against it as I keep enough funds in my account to cover for unexpected major repairs post-warranty. But I did purchase the MINI extended service contract which I consider to be a good value. It does indeed covers the entire clutch kit as this was the "deal breaker" point for me.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:28 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I always want to stress that an aftermarket extended warranty and the MINI extended service contract are two very different animals and not to be confused with each other.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:30 AM
kbleicher
4th Gear
... I did purchase the MINI extended service contract which I consider to be a good value. It does indeed covers the entire clutch kit as this was the "deal breaker" point for me.
Yeah, I agree. I think I'm going to do the same. I don't expect to put a lot of mileage on the car and the other posts are scaring me away from the extended warranty programs.

Plus I need to teach my wife how to drive a stick, so I see a new clutch in my future ;-)

Old 05-12-2008, 08:10 PM
SPF ZERO
4th Gear
Some dealers markup the extended service contract. Unfortunately you can not purchase it from a remote MINI dealer as the car and key (which must be inserted on a reader) need to be present at the time the service advisor issues the contract.
If you take your car to another dealer within the 3/36k window, can you purchase the Extended Service Contract from them? Our local dealer (Schomp MINI) is charging $1,788 for this plan, hundreds more than others are quoting.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:24 PM
foreverfadesx
2nd Gear
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Is the clutch covered under the 3/36 that comes with the Mini?

Old 05-12-2008, 10:19 PM
billie_morini
5th Gear
rockhouse,
it priced high to make you think you are really getting something

Old 05-14-2008, 08:11 AM
SPF ZERO
4th Gear
Can those of you who got the ESC at the "real" price of $1395 post your dealer and MA contact info? I'd like to make a few phone calls to see if I can arrange something with them.

My MAs response was, "...we charge $1788, can't speak for other dealers."

Old 05-14-2008, 08:25 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Yes. Remember that in order for the selling dealer to issue the contract, they must have your car key in order to take a readout from the reader.

Originally Posted by SPF ZERO
If you take your car to another dealer within the 3/36k window, can you purchase the Extended Service Contract from them? Our local dealer (Schomp MINI) is charging $1,788 for this plan, hundreds more than others are quoting.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:30 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by SPF ZERO
Can those of you who got the ESC at the "real" price of $1395 post your dealer and MA contact info? I'd like to make a few phone calls to see if I can arrange something with them.

My MAs response was, "...we charge $1788, can't speak for other dealers."

Talk to any of the 2 service advisors at my dealer here in Florida:

Ask for Marc or Scott
Lauderdale MINI
(954)763-4777

They charged me $1,395 + 6.5% sales tax for the contract.

Quick Reply: R55 $$$ of extended service contract