R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Door Protection

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 06:46 AM
buckbs
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Door Protection

I have a new Clubman S, and have noticed that there is absolutely no door protection to keep dents and paint damage from vehicles parked beside you.

Has anyone installed or considered installing a strip protector on the side of your mini? You can buy self-adhesive strips used for this purpose at auto supply stores.

People generally have no regard for damage caused to the vehicle next to them when they let their doors swing open.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:35 AM
bridgehorse
2nd Gear
it's funny you posted this because I was going to post something very similiar. You are right, people have no regard for another persons vehicle at all which is why I try to park my mini where there is no other car on the left or right, sometimes it happens, but then I get out of a store or whatever, and there are cars next to my car, never fails. anyway, when I had my mini cooper S, there were dents and paint chips which I got fixed as I am a fanatic on the cosmetics on the car, but could become costly after a while. As a matter of fact, I am taking my clubman S in tomorrow for a paint chip on the passenger side of the car, and i just bought the car in march of this year, go figure. I think there are many jealous people out there who wish they could have mini, so they damage others...believe it or not, around here in florida where I live, you still don't see too many of the mini's and especially the clubbies riding around which makes the mini's a damn unique car STILL!

they really should however had door protection on all the mini's for this reason and many others as well.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:04 AM
RJKimbell
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We took Delivery of our 'justacooper' Molly yesterday, she was adorned with the ClearBra which included Door Edge Guards!! I was very happy to see that, though I would have thought that they would have done the concave of the door handle too.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:09 AM
DEye
1st Gear
I had these side moldings put on the car at the dealer before i even picked it up...

Old 04-20-2008, 10:34 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Your best door ding prevention is to watch where you park the car. Park far away and always try to pick end corner spots. Don't squeeze yourself in tight spots near entrances because that is a guaranteed way to get not only a ding, but a scratch or dent. Those protectors are half effective most of the time. If 2 big SUVs park right next to you and they swing their doors open they are going to hit the upper parts of your door and well above the stripping. Especially bad are the rear doors of SUVs with sharp points in the door's edge. My '05 S is 3 years old and has gone naked since new. Not a single ding, dent or scracth in 3 years since I bought it. True, you can only do so much. But owning a MINI has made me re-think my parking lot strategy and park far away and/or end corner spots. The extra walk is good excercise as well.

Old 04-20-2008, 10:37 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Come down to Miami...50 MINIs on every street corner. Like I said before. Watch where you park the car and you'll minimize your chances of a door ding by as much as 50% or more. The Clubman received a full front end Llumar clear bra. It was done in the showroom the day before we picked up the car. 1,250 miles and 7 weeks since delivery and not a single paint chip! quote=bridgehorse;2175970]it's funny you posted this because I was going to post something very similiar. You are right, people have no regard for another persons vehicle at all which is why I try to park my mini where there is no other car on the left or right, sometimes it happens, but then I get out of a store or whatever, and there are cars next to my car, never fails. anyway, when I had my mini cooper S, there were dents and paint chips which I got fixed as I am a fanatic on the cosmetics on the car, but could become costly after a while. As a matter of fact, I am taking my clubman S in tomorrow for a paint chip on the passenger side of the car, and i just bought the car in march of this year, go figure. I think there are many jealous people out there who wish they could have mini, so they damage others...believe it or not, around here in florida where I live, you still don't see too many of the mini's and especially the clubbies riding around which makes the mini's a damn unique car STILL!

they really should however had door protection on all the mini's for this reason and many others as well.[/quote]

Old 04-22-2008, 11:54 AM
bridgehorse
2nd Gear
I just went to advanced auto parts, and bought door protectors in black. It looks pretty good on my clubbie i must say. hardly noticeable at all and it blends in perfectly with the black rims etc...it is cheap too, only 4.99 for a set of 2, one for each door, and they fit perfectly. Why they dont supply these when people buy mini's is beyond me, but it is cheap enough so most people can afford them, and they arrive in different colors and shapes. I went to the mini souvenir shop in the bmw mini vista dealer and they did not even know what i was talking about, let alone have any of these there. considering how rude people are, it is worth the cheap investment in these door protectors. Mine actually fit my whole mini door with no problem.

by the way, clubman S, i tend to not agree with you on the parking idea you post..i have parked my mini far away all the time, but i always manager to come back to the car with one other car on my right, and one of the left, never fails. I think the best thing to do is make your pit stops quick and get back to your baby! thats the idea, that or just get the protectors

Old 04-22-2008, 12:03 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Post pics of your door protectors. If I like them I may pick up some for the Clubman. Regarding parking far away... I hear you. it does not guarantee 100% success rate but it minimizes your chances of getting dinged. Also parking way, way out of the way may make you more noticeable, those attracting less than desirable elements seeking to ruin your day. Still, my 3 year old MINI is ding free and I think my techniques have proven to be successful so far.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:09 PM
bridgehorse
2nd Gear
I will take some pixx's tomorrow of the protectors, then post them here.. My 2006 got dented a few times on my passenger door side, but got it fixed right away. People are either jealous of the mini's or just have no regard for anything.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:13 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
People, especially here in this Zoo called South Florida, are totally oblivious and disrespectful of other people's personal property. I learned my lessons long ago and hence why I am **** when it comes to parking and taking care of my vehicles. Same as you, I am extremely OCD when it comes to blemishes often getting them fixed right away. I take pride of ownership and always stride to keep my cars in tip top shape. Can't wait to get out of S.Fla!

Old 04-24-2008, 11:33 AM
bridgehorse
2nd Gear
I will post the protectors over the weekend..i dont have the time right now..but you will see it here posted before the weekend is out.

thanks

Old 04-24-2008, 01:04 PM
fastfritz
2nd Gear
I've always used magnetic bumper strips. They stick on your doors when you
have to go to a mall or crowded parking lot. The only thing is they don't seem to do much good at the track.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:09 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I have seen those magnetic protectors and it seems to me those are an invitation so vandals can try them out by opening their door really hard onto yours.