R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 04:04 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by czmike
Schatzy- sorry if I'm being totally daft as I do recall this being mentioned in an earlier post- you're saying that the R56 spec'd rack is the same and therefore will fit on the Clubman? I remember pics of same some time ago (seemed a little different, my post #82 on this thread), but before putting down the cash..., and not wanting to be stuck with a useless rack... Interestingly, morristownmini sells the R56 rack for $12.25 less than the Clubman version (I always love a deal). Assuming then that your excellent instructions work for the R56 version onto the Clubman.
My dealer only caries on rack for the R55/R56. Same item.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:16 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Well it looks like all the rumors we heard are true. The new 2009 configurator is up on Miniusa and they do in fact offer Roof RAILS for the clubman now. Go check it out.

Now the important questions.....can these be retrofitted to the 08s? Is drilling required? I would assume so.

They are still showing the normal rack as an option as well in the 2009 configurator.

Old 07-18-2008, 05:54 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Well it looks like all the rumors we heard are true. The new 2009 configurator is up on Miniusa and they do in fact offer Roof RAILS for the clubman now. Go check it out.

Now the important questions.....can these be retrofitted to the 08s? Is drilling required? I would assume so.

They are still showing the normal rack as an option as well in the 2009 configurator.

Where are you finding them i have been thru every configuration option on every version and i am not seeing it.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:34 AM
ppawlus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Under Performance/Handling (2nd set of screens). You have to scroll to see it. Wouldn't normally expect it to be there. $250 option at build time. That will be my route ...but will have to post build as my clubman is on it's way across the pond.

Cheers,
Peter in Sarasota, FL

Old 07-18-2008, 06:40 AM
ppawlus
1st Gear
Tried to drop an image of the roof rails option in here.

Attached Thumbnails Rack on Clubman - Issues??-clubmanwroofrails.jpg  
Old 07-18-2008, 07:57 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yah, what he said.

Get to the performance step, then under the Handling heading it's the very last option on the right. You've got to scroll.

I have no idea why it's listed under Handling though

I'm just hoping this is something that can be added to 08's and doesn't require mounting points under our roofs that we don't have. Fingers crossed I guess.

Old 07-18-2008, 08:08 AM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ppawlus
Under Performance/Handling (2nd set of screens). You have to scroll to see it. Wouldn't normally expect it to be there. $250 option at build time. That will be my route ...but will have to post build as my clubman is on it's way across the pond.

Cheers,
Peter in Sarasota, FL

Yeah, that will be a very nice option. I wonder what the availability and timeframe will be like to get them if they work on the 2008?

Old 07-18-2008, 08:13 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Very happy for you all who have yet to order, but very for myself and others who would have LOVED this.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:29 AM
ppawlus
1st Gear
Got a call into my MA on the availability of this option post build. Anyone else get an answer yet? Of particular interest: is this available at the port (VDC?) or dealer installed option post build? Is it available now...or when?
Cheers,
Peter in Sarasota

Old 07-18-2008, 10:35 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Got a call into my MA on the availability of this option post build. Anyone else get an answer yet? Of particular interest: is this available at the port (VDC?) or dealer installed option post build? Is it available now...or when?
Cheers,
Peter in Sarasota
Same question posed to my MA, he was to busy selling a car to pick up the phone. Hope he actually sells it.

Last edited by schatzy62; 07-18-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-18-2008, 10:48 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Just got off the phone with John at MINI Customer Care and i was told after a wait of about 3-4 minutes that

"As the roof of the 08 and 09 are the same these are able to be retrofitted to an 08 Clubman but be aware they are not made to go on Coop's"

Now on to calling the dealer parts dept to see if i can get a part number.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:50 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Don't like em...

I'll be the contrarian here--don't like the rails. I like the functionality of a rack for when I NEED something up there, but even in black, I don't like the "Ford Country Squire Wagon" or "SUV of choice" look of permanent rails. I want a rack that I can install and remove that works. And if it could fit the bike trays I have that would be great.

Old 07-18-2008, 10:59 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Man there is nothing like "real time" eh?

My MA did not know the answers to my two questions:
1. With the 2009 Clubman you are showing "Roof Rails" as an option (under Performance/Handling) - will these rails be able to take the place of the Roof Rack Base & Install and thus be able to use the Roof Box and other items showing on the configurator under Racks and Luggage?

2. Will these "Roof Rails" be able to be retrofitted to the 2008 Clubman MINIs that have already been delieverd to customers?

So, I just submitted them at the MINIUSA site here: http://www.miniusa.com/?#/contactFaq/contact-s

Schatzy, Massachusetts is beginning to seem better and better to me these days.

P.S. hoonu - fortunately they're an option...but from my point of view IF they will truly and easily work with roof boxes, etc. the way we assume they will...well, I lust after them.

Old 07-18-2008, 11:23 AM
ItsNumptyBoy
1st Gear
I don't think they look very nice

well, to me, they just look too damn fugly

Old 07-18-2008, 11:32 AM
ppawlus
1st Gear
I like the roof rails as they will let me use all my bike/kayak/basketcase attachments from Yakima. I use my racks every day for cycling and this should be a more durable setup. Looking at the roof line of the clubman, it would seem this was design consideration with the roof.

My opin.
Peter

Old 07-18-2008, 12:00 PM
zeddy
2nd Gear
Otra Man there is nothing like "real time" eh?

My MA did not know the answers to my two questions:
1. With the 2009 Clubman you are showing "Roof Rails" as an option (under Performance/Handling) - will these rails be able to take the place of the Roof Rack Base & Install and thus be able to use the Roof Box and other items showing on the configurator under Racks and Luggage?
these days.

Otra--
My guess for #1 above is yes-and-no. The roof rails don't come with crossbars to which you actually attach boxes and bike or ski carriers. You'd still have to buy from Yakima or Thule or other manufacturer a set up consisting of set set of towers (which allow attachment of crossbars to the roofrails); and crossbars and then whichever carrier components you want (bike, ski, box, etc). Yakima and Thule sell towers specific for factory roof rails (as opposed to towers which clamp onto raingutters).
So on top of the $250 for the Roof Rails you'd still have to pay for towers ($150 for Yakima's LowRiders set of 4) and cross bars ($65 for Yakima). At Thule the towers (Crossroad or Rapid Crossroad) are $159 or $169. The bars are $65 for classic Thule square or $100 for Rapid Aero. A set of 4 locks is $50.
The Rapid Aero and Rapid Crossroad would give you the same bars as the MINI RoofRack. And you could attach any MINI branded rack accessory.

Bottomline you'll still have to pay for a roof rack to attach to the roof rails for which you'll pay $250 and probably a king's ransom for install.

I personally think it's a cop-out on MINIs part to replace the original free slots in the roof to take the MINI-branded Thule-produced dealer sold roof rack. I'd rather see them get their act together on that system.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:02 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by hoonu
I'll be the contrarian here--don't like the rails. I like the functionality of a rack for when I NEED something up there, but even in black, I don't like the "Ford Country Squire Wagon" or "SUV of choice" look of permanent rails. I want a rack that I can install and remove that works. And if it could fit the bike trays I have that would be great.
See, that's where we differ.

I'm searching for the plastic/vinyl woodgrain kit for the sides of my Clubman. The kind that my dad had on our 1970 Mercury Marquis station wagon. The roof rails are just part of the plan!

I'm gonna Americanize this little Limey tin can, yet!

Old 07-18-2008, 12:12 PM
Otra
6th Gear
zeddy, I hear you and I do realize that. I already own a Thule set of cross bars, etc., that are on our Volvo wagon... My hope was to use these and put them on the MCC's rails... Of course I know that MINI USA will not come out and say "Yes, your Thule cross bars will work!" But I figured I'd try them and see...

I agree that I like the removability of racks, etc., but would be fine with the rails staying put and being able to take off the rest of the stuff when I didn't want it on...though I don't think I'd go as far as Rich in retrofitting my MCC to bring back the old days of the family station wagon. Rich - thanks for the levity...I always think of the Country Squire Station wagon...that my friends families had...while ours was stuck with a Rambler.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:46 PM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
See, that's where we differ.

I'm searching for the plastic/vinyl woodgrain kit for the sides of my Clubman. The kind that my dad had on our 1970 Mercury Marquis station wagon. The roof rails are just part of the plan!

I'm gonna Americanize this little Limey tin can, yet!

Well here ya' go! But I think that you could get 2.5 Clubmen out of that 1970 MM Sw.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 PM
zeddy
2nd Gear
Otra--
Yeah, I too would still like to be able to use the Yakima rack system that I already have because (1) I already have it and it's paid for; (2) the cross bars are wider/longer than the MINI rack which isn't wide enough to hold a canoe.

But I still don't like the Roof Rails because of (1) cost of rails and cost of another set of Yakima towers since the ones I have don't fit rails --$250+$150=$400 to be able to use my existing system...not good economics; (2) drilling into roof to mount rails; (3) looks of rails.

My ideal: I'd like to see Yakima or Thule come up with a set of Q-clips or FitClips ($65-70) that make use of those slots in the roof and that would be the only thing you need to buy if you already have a rack system.

Maybe something will come out of that test fitting Thule was doing on a Clubman in Connecticut.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:03 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
I spoke with my MINI parts guy out here and walked him thru the screens to show him the rails option. The parts crew hadn't seen it, but did hear about it. After some extensive research and calls to MINI he called me back about it. He said that MINI had prematurely put it in the configurator since it wasn't showing up on the order sheets yet. The bad news is that it is a factory only option since the top of the Clubman has to be laser engraved/etched so the rails can be mounted up there. Of course there is potential for a retrofit kit, but timing is unknown. So, this is what I found out - take it for what its worth. I'm going to try the existing rack since I need a bike rack like yesterday!!!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Well there you go - more conflicting info. Hopefully we'll all get some corroborating info by the end of next week. I like to believe my own MA and everyone else's too!

Zeddy - I don't think I read that post about Thule doing a fit test on a Clubman in CT...that's good news...however, I still keep thinking about what Schatzy's posted about the "issue" being something that exists underneath in certain build dates. I need to scroll back and find that exact info...

Many thanks to all for their input - even Rich with his yen for wood panels!

Old 07-18-2008, 01:21 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Here are some answers from my MA.

Originally Posted by taskmaxter
I spoke with my MINI parts guy out here and walked him thru the screens to show him the rails option. The parts crew hadn't seen it, but did hear about it. After some extensive research and calls to MINI he called me back about it. He said that MINI had prematurely put it in the configurator since it wasn't showing up on the order sheets yet. The bad news is that it is a factory only option since the top of the Clubman has to be laser engraved/etched so the rails can be mounted up there. Of course there is potential for a retrofit kit, but timing is unknown. So, this is what I found out - take it for what its worth. I'm going to try the existing rack since I need a bike rack like yesterday!!!
Similar to what my MA stated. He talked to the parts department who called their powers that be and these will not be available until after the 2009's come out in October.

Originally Posted by zeddy
My guess for #1 above is yes-and-no. The roof rails don't come with crossbars to which you actually attach boxes and bike or ski carriers. You'd still have to buy from Yakima or Thule or other manufacturer a set up consisting of set set of towers (which allow attachment of crossbars to the roofrails);
Yes this is true these are very much like the ones i have on my BMW and they do not come with cross bars. These are just "Rails". The problem i have with this style is that they do not come off and the Yakima feet and cross bars i have for the rails on my BMW are very very very difficult to put on and remove.

The Rapid Aero and Rapid Crossroad would give you the same bars as the MINI RoofRack. And you could attach any MINI branded rack accessory.
You can also attach ANY Thule or Yakima accessories to the MINI OEM racks as can be seen in this and other threads.

I personally think it's a cop-out on MINIs part to replace the original free slots in the roof to take the MINI-branded Thule-produced dealer sold roof rack. I'd rather see them get their act together on that system.
MINI is not copping out on anything the old style racks will still be available and it is questionable if the will work with the "roof rails" They are just trying to give another option. Although it is an ugly one in my eyes.

I like the roof rails as they will let me use all my bike/kayak/basketcase attachments from Yakima. I use my racks every day for cycling and this should be a more durable setup. Looking at the roof line of the clubman, it would seem this was design consideration with the roof.

My opin.
Peter
The attachments you have will work with the MINI OEM racks but you may have to replace some bolts with longer ones. This is just the same as if someone bought Thule RapidAero bars for their car and had to get some longer bolts to make the attachments work.

And just to let everyone know i am trying to work on a way to make longer bars work with the MINI OEM Rack. Design time is limited because i have to work a full time job but hopefully soon I will have an answer.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Schatzy, have you considered a career change? You're very good at this stuff.

So...it's October for the 2009s' roof rails. Interesting.

Still interested to get a bulletin from MINI stating exactlyfrom which build dates back, that "some" have had issues with the existing roof rack base and install. I know, I know...it might very well work fine with my current MCC, but I'd like to have it put in writing..by MINI. Meanwhile I shall continue to read and think about it all for now.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:43 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Otra
Schatzy, have you considered a career change? You're very good at this stuff.

So...it's October for the 2009s' roof rails. Interesting.

Still interested to get a bulletin from MINI stating exactlyfrom which build dates back, that "some" have had issues with the existing roof rack base and install. I know, I know...it might very well work fine with my current MCC, but I'd like to have it put in writing..by MINI. Meanwhile I shall continue to read and think about it all for now.

From the reports i get from my insider who wishes to remain anonomous They may never know what build dates(weeks) hvae the incorrect parts. I have stated this many times and form what i am getting there may only be a hand full becasue they do not keep track of that part the way they are required to keep track of safety parts. In ohter words again there may have been as few a hundred or less that were incorrect but then again as many a thousand or more. AND they DON NOT KNOW exactly what cars they were put into or exactly how many there were. The ONLY way to know is to have a set test fitted. And from my experience they have all worked and my gut feeling is that all the cars can have the racks installed, but some may be a little more difficult to get on compared to others. These are not precison parts so there is a fairly high range of tollerance and the error was less than .032" or les than 1/32". For these parts that is like driving your car thru the St. Louis Arch.

My offer is still valid to come down and meet you somewhere in CT to test this out. Mybe we can do a lunch picnic somewhere.

Quick Reply: R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??