R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 06:34 AM
ItsNumptyBoy
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
BTW those roof rails look in the picture look exactly like the ones on my 2003 BMW 525it Wagon.
I actually thought that they were photshop'd from an X3...they look identical to the one I just traded

Old 07-21-2008, 07:19 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
I posted the following to the MINI2 forum on this rack issue. It's very interesting that the part number that DPMINI Aaron has in not even a valid part number in the USA according to my PA. Maybe Mini has come up with the solution and not told anyone. that would not surprise me. I wil wait for a response

Originally Posted by DPMINI Aaron
Hi Schatzy
82 71 2 149 225 is the part number for the Clubman base support system. Originaly it was thought that the hatch versions could be used ( 82 71 0 435 846 ). But they are now bringing out new ones just for the clubman. I have just heard back from MINI that there is no release date as yet.
Then explain to me why in the USA the 82.71.2.149.225 is not even a part and that the 82.71.0.435.846 is being sold as the Base Support System for the Clubman when you say it is for the coop but the coop number is different 82.71.0.398.321. See pictures attached for part number to vehicle type.

Also when i purchased my base support system 82.71.0.345.846 it also stated it was for both the 07+ Cooper and the 08 Clubman. Another this is that i also looked at the part number 82.71.0.398.321 which is listed as the base support system for the Cooper and it was also marked as being usable on the 07+ Cooper and the 08 Clubman.

So what exactly then is the 82.71.2.149.225 if it is not the part number listed for either the 07+ Cooper or the 08 Clubman. I am very confused.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:49 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Okay,

I have confirmation of the following

82.71.0.398.321 - formerly for use on the cooper now discontinued in the UK but still available in the US

82.71.0.435.846 - formerly only for the Clubman but has now been changed to Cooper only in the UK but no change for USA. Yet a bunch of us have unequivocal proof it works on the clubman.

82.71.2.149.225 - New clubman rack part number but not avaliable for 4-5 weeks from one source and date for release not available yet from another source. Both sources are in the UK. NO mention of this part in the USA yet.

This IS going to sound sarcastic but if they just change the part numbers on the items with out changing them maybe they will think the general public will be none the wiser and they can say they fixed the problem.

So the saga continues. I will have to see what the differences are when I can get my hands on one of the new part numbers.

Old 07-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Many thanks for putting all the info in one place for our reading "pleasure". Seriously - thank you!

Old 07-22-2008, 08:01 AM
JGS
3rd Gear
When I picked up my Clubman, we went to the parts department to let me choose which mats I wanted and the guy on the desk had a bundle of new MINI Clubman Accessory Catalogs. These had a supplement attached in the back with information on racks...I will post what numbers are listed [ Just to confuse us all a little bit more ]

I want to be sure on the correct part number and then order...my suspicion is that MINI will do nothing on the rack issue; muddle on with the rails and finally in the indeterminable future let us know that there may be a retrofit to attach the rail system.

I just want to mount the correct OEM rack and get on with it at this point, I think.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:10 AM
Otra
6th Gear
from MINI North America

According to MINI North America, whose Customer Service Rep., whom I spoke to yesterday and who called me back today, here is the story: He said that the rack is the same as the one for the coupe/hatch. He said that a change in the way in which the rain gutter systems were made effected the size of the openings/slots. Apparently they turned out to have been made too small on the Clubman, as compared to those on the Coupe or Hatchback MINI. *This of course contradicts what many who've been successful have experienced, while it appears to be accurate for a number who've been unable to install the roof base. This also makes it sound as though all Clubman MINIs were produced exactly the same which doesn't make sense given the experiences that have been reported re the rain gutter and perforations.

The Rep went on to say that they knew that some dealerships were forcing the bases in - even though they had received the 4/17 bulletin which told them not to sell the base installation kit for Clubmans due to the fact that there had been reports that it did/does cause leaking. Again we all have read about those who've suffered this, as well as those who've been very successful with their installations.

I am merely posting this to cover all of my discussion with this representative. He did say that if the base roof rack was installed after the time the notification went out to all the dealerships and that if subsequent problems were to occur that MINI would not be held responsible. Once again, this is something I think most everyone already understood - even though we know that some are doing fine with their dealership's recent installations, and that some dealerships have claimed that they have not received this notice.

They are in the process of having the parts reengineered to fit the Clubman's openings/slots. He stated that they do not have a date for the introduction of this retrofitted part. I was, however, assured that they were all ready working on it. (I know, I expressed my frustrations having heard this since April when I purchased my car.) This contradicts what other MINI sources have said to various members who have been told that the new part is coming out in the UK, relatively soon. I wish I had more specifics, but this is it.

My advice to anyone who has not yet purchased a roof rack base installation and who had planned to when they bought the Clubman or has tried to but doesn't want to be w/o recourse is to - call ASK MINI at 1-800-831-1117 and at least register your disappointments but also let them know that you are waiting eagerly. It can't hurt, that's for sure.

In my conversations with this Representative, I was very clear in my serious disappointment. There was not much that this fellow could say, except to assure me that they were going to come up with the retrofit. He was the messenger, so I didn't "shoot" him. I did appreciate his calling me back with the information, even if I'm still not too sure about it being truly up-to-date.

In hindsight, I wish I'd been much more prepared when speaking to this Rep because I didn't have all the facts sitting in front of me and was not ready to counter him. I hope the others who might call will be better armed with their questions than I was.

I also asked about the roof rails as shown on the new configurator and if there was any doubt at all - they are functional.

Last edited by Otra; 07-22-2008 at 05:58 PM. Reason: Please note this has had some edits to try to show the discrepancies that appear to continue with the information recv'd.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:29 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Thanks, Otra.

The rep's comments lead me to believe Mini is altering the part. The one question I would want to ask that rep is this: if the openings were too small on some cars, why not notify owners that Mini will enlarge the openings?!? Seems that the problem, according to them is with the openings, not the part -- and not even on all cars.

Stick with one part and fix the openings.

Or...am I missing something?

(Hopefully, I did not make you feel like I was trying to shoot the messenger. )

Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Sounds good to me NJ Clubman and nope, I don't feel shot at in the least.

As I said, I wish I'd had myself a bit more geared up to counter this Rep with some specific questions - such as the one you mentioned, and others that make one scratch one's head and wonder.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:58 PM
czmike
1st Gear
Rack Troubles...

Well, first excited, now bummed. My rack arrived today! Pulled out Schatzy's instructions and got down to business this evening. First disappointment, the bike racks I was hoping would fit into the slot along the top of the rack do not fit- the plate that slides in is too wide. Probably not the end of the world as I believe something can be worked out to make a fit. Despite excellent instructions, I struggled with the first (rear) cross bar. Finally got it sorted on the driver's side and moved to the passenger side. Struggled there a bit, but experience with the first bracket helped. Now the second disappointment. Carefully trying not to over tighten the nut, there was a bit of a snap, and the bolt stayed loose. After much playing, it appears the bolt threads stipped! Profanity galore. Front cross bar went on like a piece of cake- no problems! Hoping my local hardware store can dig up a nut that will work as one cross bar does no good- assuming a regular flange nut may do the trick if there is nothing similar to the original. It's supposed to rain here tomorrow so with my luck today..., well let's just hope there's no leaks! Regardless, I do not give up easily so we'll see how I fare tomorrow night.

Old 07-23-2008, 03:14 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by czmike
Well, first excited, now bummed. My rack arrived today! Pulled out Schatzy's instructions and got down to business this evening. First disappointment, the bike racks I was hoping would fit into the slot along the top of the rack do not fit- the plate that slides in is too wide. Probably not the end of the world as I believe something can be worked out to make a fit. Despite excellent instructions, I struggled with the first (rear) cross bar. Finally got it sorted on the driver's side and moved to the passenger side. Struggled there a bit, but experience with the first bracket helped. Now the second disappointment. Carefully trying not to over tighten the nut, there was a bit of a snap, and the bolt stayed loose. After much playing, it appears the bolt threads stipped! Profanity galore. Front cross bar went on like a piece of cake- no problems! Hoping my local hardware store can dig up a nut that will work as one cross bar does no good- assuming a regular flange nut may do the trick if there is nothing similar to the original. It's supposed to rain here tomorrow so with my luck today..., well let's just hope there's no leaks! Regardless, I do not give up easily so we'll see how I fare tomorrow night.
I know these statements and questions sound degrading but i must ask these to be able to come to a conclusion about what went wrong.

Simply Put you must have put way to much torque on the nut. The max torque is LESS THAN hand tight. The brass nut and steel stud should be able to take over 20 foot pounds of torque yet the max torque for the nut is set at 4.5 foot pounds. BTW hand tight is about 10-12 foot pounds.

Were you using the tool that came with the kit or your own tools?

Can you take a picture of how the rear flanges go into the roof kind of as in the pictures in the instructions.as in Figures 8 & 9.

What week was your car made?

As for a new nut make sure you get a metric nut a, but a regular flange nut should be able to do the trick for you.

I would really like to see photos so i can figure out what went wrong.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:03 AM
czmike
1st Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
I know these statements and questions sound degrading but i must ask these to be able to come to a conclusion about what went wrong.

Simply Put you must have put way to much torque on the nut. The max torque is LESS THAN hand tight. The brass nut and steel stud should be able to take over 20 foot pounds of torque yet the max torque for the nut is set at 4.5 foot pounds. BTW hand tight is about 10-12 foot pounds.

Were you using the tool that came with the kit or your own tools?

Can you take a picture of how the rear flanges go into the roof kind of as in the pictures in the instructions.as in Figures 8 & 9.

What week was your car made?

As for a new nut make sure you get a metric nut a, but a regular flange nut should be able to do the trick for you.

I would really like to see photos so i can figure out what went wrong.

No problem, I anticipated the "you put too much torque" conclusion. I'm guessing things might have bound up a bit as I was "wiggling" the brackets to seat them in the slot. The "trick" for seating and tightening is to do so sequentially, seat, tighten, seat, tighten (at least that worked for me). Try to tighten out of sequence and things get a bit tight (i.e. can't seat the bracket by tightening the bolt).
Build date, according to the plate on the door frame, is 01/08.
Will try to do some pictures tonight.
BTW, on the way to work this morning with just the front cross member on, did notice extra wind noise. Not bad, but noticable.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:15 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by czmike
No problem, I anticipated the "you put too much torque" conclusion. I'm guessing things might have bound up a bit as I was "wiggling" the brackets to seat them in the slot. The "trick" for seating and tightening is to do so sequentially, seat, tighten, seat, tighten (at least that worked for me). Try to tighten out of sequence and things get a bit tight (i.e. can't seat the bracket by tightening the bolt).
Build date, according to the plate on the door frame, is 01/08.
Will try to do some pictures tonight.
BTW, on the way to work this morning with just the front cross member on, did notice extra wind noise. Not bad, but noticable.

After taking mine off and on a few times i did notice that it was a little harder to get the brackets into the slot so i put some petrolium jelly (vasaline) on them and it made it a lot easier this morning. I will be adding that to the instructions sometime to day hopefully. With the vasaline on them they just pushed right it without any problem (at least for me)

Yes try to get pictures and put them up here so that i can see them. Also if you could take a picture of the striped nut that would be great.

After all of this i may also ask you to take some other pictures if you can just to see if there is a difference between your car and mine. i just need to figure out how to take the pictures so that i can show you how i would like them.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:18 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks you, two.

Old 07-23-2008, 12:14 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Otra
According to MINI North America, whose Customer Service Rep., whom I spoke to yesterday and who called me back today, here is the story: He said that the rack is the same as the one for the coupe/hatch. He said that a change in the way in which the rain gutter systems were made effected the size of the openings/slots. Apparently they turned out to have been made too small on the Clubman, as compared to those on the Coupe or Hatchback MINI. *This of course contradicts what many who've been successful have experienced, while it appears to be accurate for a number who've been unable to install the roof base. This also makes it sound as though all Clubman MINIs were produced exactly the same which doesn't make sense given the experiences that have been reported re the rain gutter and perforations.

The Rep went on to say that they knew that some dealerships were forcing the bases in - even though they had received the 4/17 bulletin which told them not to sell the base installation kit for Clubmans due to the fact that there had been reports that it did/does cause leaking. Again we all have read about those who've suffered this, as well as those who've been very successful with their installations.

I am merely posting this to cover all of my discussion with this representative. He did say that if the base roof rack was installed after the time the notification went out to all the dealerships and that if subsequent problems were to occur that MINI would not be held responsible. Once again, this is something I think most everyone already understood - even though we know that some are doing fine with their dealership's recent installations, and that some dealerships have claimed that they have not received this notice.

They are in the process of having the parts reengineered to fit the Clubman's openings/slots. He stated that they do not have a date for the introduction of this retrofitted part. I was, however, assured that they were all ready working on it. (I know, I expressed my frustrations having heard this since April when I purchased my car.) This contradicts what other MINI sources have said to various members who have been told that the new part is coming out in the UK, relatively soon. I wish I had more specifics, but this is it.

My advice to anyone who has not yet purchased a roof rack base installation and who had planned to when they bought the Clubman or has tried to but doesn't want to be w/o recourse is to - call ASK MINI at 1-800-831-1117 and at least register your disappointments but also let them know that you are waiting eagerly. It can't hurt, that's for sure.

In my conversations with this Representative, I was very clear in my serious disappointment. There was not much that this fellow could say, except to assure me that they were going to come up with the retrofit. He was the messenger, so I didn't "shoot" him. I did appreciate his calling me back with the information, even if I'm still not too sure about it being truly up-to-date.

In hindsight, I wish I'd been much more prepared when speaking to this Rep because I didn't have all the facts sitting in front of me and was not ready to counter him. I hope the others who might call will be better armed with their questions than I was.

I also asked about the roof rails as shown on the new configurator and if there was any doubt at all - they are functional.
The above posted by Otra made me call the ASK MINI number yesterday (7-22-08). Of course they could not tell me anything they would have to call me back and i just got that call (7-23-08). I have quoted the customer service rep where needed.

Well to some extent the info is the same but also there were some differences, and conflicting info from the same person in the same conversation.

1. to begin with he told me that "all clubmans had a change that would cause the roof rack to not fit properly. It was a change made before production started on the clubman but after the rack parts had been produced in order to have them available when the cars were available".

2. after grilling him about what the problem/changes was and how this came about he changed his story to "it may have changed at some point during the production of the cars and maybe yours was built before the change occurred"

There is two very different stories there from the same person during the same conversation. Not good customer service.

I then asked him about the April 17 Advisory that Otra has stated had been issued and had been shown to here by her service department which my dealer has not seen. His initial response was "it would have only gone to dealers that had received problem cars, thats the way service advisory bulletins work". then when i told him it was a service bulletin for all clubman models he got very flustered and said "well if the racks fit on your car then just roll with it" and yes he said "just roll with it" Again not good customer service.

I then went on to mention that there was talk of MINI USA not covering problems that may be caused by the installation of the roof rack after April 17th because of the advisory bulletin. He stated to me that "if you have a problem, just call me, you have my info and i will do everything in my power to get it resolved for you". I then told him that he would have to do better than that as MINI USA had the worst customer service i have ever dealt with for a car. then i explained to him that if there ever was a problem that he would surely get a call form me and that i have this all written down and that they had better take care of it.

I then proceeded to tell him that i have contacts in the UK that have given me more information that what he was capable of and asked what the story was on the new base support system (roof racks) coming out and when would they be out. He knew nothing of this all he could say was "they know there is a problem and that they are working on it".

Just before i was done with him i asked him again about the fact that he had told me one thing to begin with and then another thing just a few sentences later. Again all he told me was that "if your roof racks are working the JUST ROLL WITH IT"

I then made a complaint to him about the LACK OF CUSTOMER SERVICE that i have received from MINI USA.

Conversation over and i will be calling back later today to speak with a Supervisor about this and other issues in the lack of knowledge and the lack of customer service reps to keep their story straight. And i will see if i can find a way to talk to the person that the customer service rep supposedly talks to about the rack problems.

If i have to i will go all the way to the top, i.e. the president of MINI USA or even above him/her to get a proper answer.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:02 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Excellent work. I really appreciate your efforts.

Old 07-23-2008, 01:12 PM
OWG
5th Gear
Note to self: Don't get on schatzy62's "list"

Old 07-23-2008, 01:23 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Great work Buddy!

Old 07-23-2008, 01:48 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by OWG
Hey as long as people are honest and don't give me two different stories in the same conversation then there is not a problem. But the run around they are giving all of us is in despicable and totally uncalled for.

Even if they have no idea at least tell all of us the same story. Write it down so that every agent has the some story word for word. But honestly not beign able to tell us is very poor customer service.

A a friend asked me in an e-mail

What happened to “the customer is always right”. We’re living in a different (not better) time!

And she is right as there is no customer is always right at MINI USA there is only "we will only tell you what you don't want to hear"

Old 07-23-2008, 07:05 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Every time I think I've seen it all on this subject, it takes another turn. It's really unbelievable. More plot twists than a soap opera, dime store novel, or 21st century political campaign.

Don't touch that dial!

Old 07-23-2008, 07:14 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Almost forgot:

To OWG...

Schatzy,
MiniUSA's (and BMW/RR, too) customer service center is in Columbus, OH. Get the feeling they do a lot of recruiting on the OSU campus?

Clearly, their scripts are written with an customer who is easy to brush off in mind. Otherwise, they might take the time to put prepare their agents with more thoughtful and informative info and scripts. We deserve better than a terse, superficial response.

If this rack issue is any indication, though, communication is not the strong suit of that organization.

Old 07-23-2008, 08:06 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by OWG
No kidding. Glad you're our bulldog!

Old 07-24-2008, 07:07 AM
JGS
3rd Gear
The rack is obviously not a priority.

With high demand and sales, MINI is focused elsewhere, it appears.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:05 PM
jupiterfish
2nd Gear
glad i got mine out the box, works great, now let me see if i can get a refund from the dealer for telling me nto to use it.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:16 PM
jimfarley
2nd Gear
As another data point on this, we picked up our '08 Clubman yesterday. We ordered it with the roof rack, and our MA let us know that it is backordered (not a surprise to me given this and other threads about this topic). I talked with him about it for a bit, and he confirmed most of the details given here. He also said that the Mini engineering team working on the issue asked for customer requests to be forwarded ASAP so that this could be prioritized. No ETA available yet, but he sounded confident that the racks would come eventually.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:47 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
He is a salesman.....

Quick Reply: R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??