R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Miniman3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had my Mini Roof Racks on for about a month with no problems. To be safe I'll call the MA and ask him the specifics.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:51 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Not to get off-topic, but I really would have preferred a set of permanent factory roof rails for the Clubman, as featured on many wagons, instead of a set of clamp-on brackets. I guess there just wasn't enough room to fit rails, or MINI decided it was easier to simply offer brackets. I'm not a big fan of anything I have to clamp onto a car.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:07 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Agreed, but of course now that I'll be picking mine up on Monday - I would be quite upset if they suddenly did start making them with roof rails!

If you read over on MINI2 about the roof rack, a poster there has made a good case for why he thinks some may have had problems with their installation, while many have not. If you're interested here is the link and the possible explanation is on the last page, from a day ago:http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-club...clubman-6.html

Last edited by Otra; 04-24-2008 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2008, 05:47 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Well, have my Clubman back with the roof racks in the boot all tied up in a garbage bag...they wouldn't put them back on for liability reasons so I have to put them back on myself (plus some sort of weather stripping so the window stays dry). A little nervous about doing so but really need the racks for my bikes.

My MINI looks nicer, more streamlined, plus is SO much quieter without them so honestly I'd say if you don't absolutely need them then go without. I have no other place to fit 2 large mountain bikes so I'm stuck

I hope they come up with a replacement soon!

Old 04-24-2008, 06:07 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
Originally Posted by laurendesigns
Well, have my Clubman back with the roof racks in the boot all tied up in a garbage bag...they wouldn't put them back on for liability reasons so I have to put them back on myself (plus some sort of weather stripping so the window stays dry). A little nervous about doing so but really need the racks for my bikes.

My MINI looks nicer, more streamlined, plus is SO much quieter without them so honestly I'd say if you don't absolutely need them then go without. I have no other place to fit 2 large mountain bikes so I'm stuck

I hope they come up with a replacement soon!
OT but what type of MTB you into?

Old 04-24-2008, 06:14 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
We do all kinds of mtn biking, our fave is a single-track park nearby (Dryer Rd) that has quite a mix of challenging terrain...tough hills to climb along with roller coaster downs, jumps & bumps. Plus a new pump track and terrain course that has all types of fun things to hurt yourself on

I pretend that I'm 15 again lol

Some of the trails we ride:

http://www.victormtbc.com/

Last edited by laurendesigns; 04-24-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 04-25-2008, 06:46 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
OH, forgot to mention what my dealer threw in for this rack and leak hassle....checkered door handles! My Clubbie looks so neat! I'll take pictures soon

Old 04-26-2008, 12:56 PM
peet
1st Gear
I had the rack installed at purchase and have the bike rack.. My only issue is that I cannot find a fork mount for the front tire that will work with this bike rack.. I'd have to buy an aftermarket rack to make it happen... No leaks, or problems otherwise.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:30 PM
EAVclubbie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by peet
My only issue is that I cannot find a fork mount for the front tire that will work with this bike rack...
Wouldn't a Thule 593 work? I thought the MINI rack was a customized Thule Aero...

Old 04-26-2008, 04:18 PM
peet
1st Gear
Originally Posted by EAVclubbie
Wouldn't a Thule 593 work? I thought the MINI rack was a customized Thule Aero...
Sorry, let me clarify... I want a piece that will slide onto the Mini bike rack that will allow fork mount onto it... The mini bike rack uses two tire strap downs... I would like to use the mini bike rack (because I already have it) just with a fork mount piece...

The mini bike rack is a slotted/molded piece of aluminum and the strap downs are plastic pieces that slid in and you turn a thumb screw to tighten them down on the bike rack...

Old 04-27-2008, 06:06 AM
driveblind
2nd Gear
Has anyone tried a non-permanent trunk mount bike carrier, like Yakima's series of "Joe" racks? I have a KingJoe 2 and hope that I'll be able to use it on my Clubman.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:47 AM
czmike
1st Gear
Not familiar with the KingJoe, but I have a Stealth rack that I assume functions similarly and can not figure how it would mount to my clubman, though I've not tried too hard. Concerned that popping the barn doors open would make quite the mess, and there is precious little space inthe back for a rack, straps etc. I would be very interested to hear if anyone does have luck with a strap mount carrier though as it's almost the best of both worlds for bikes- retain the clean lines without the roof rack yet have the flexibility of carrying bikes, gear and passengers when needed. For now for me, it's pop off the front wheel, knock down the seats and stow the bike in the back.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:53 AM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Fork Mount for Bikes

To the poster who had the question about using a fork mount on the clubman rack, here is a picture of a regular mini using a Thule for mount:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ight=roof+rack

Wouldn't the Clubman rack be able to use this same fork mount? (I sure hope so, since I need a for mount as well before I jump in and buy one of these cars)

Last edited by taskmaxter; 04-27-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: clarified
Old 04-27-2008, 01:14 PM
martinbs
2nd Gear
Sport Link rack on back of car

We had a Sport Link-Bike Rack on our 06 MCS. It worked fine and eliminated the noise and probably most of the wind resistance of a roof rack.

I understand that MiniFini is close to coming out with a Clubman version. Their design is targeted to have the rack pivot out of the way when you open the doors of the Clubman just like it did with the 06 MCS.

I am waiting to see!

Old 04-28-2008, 02:13 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Just came back with my beautiful new Clubman (which I will post pix of later on the appropriate thread) but I got a print out of the message from Aftersales Development dated April 17th whose subject is the Roof Rack R55:
Please be informed that there are fitting problems with the roof rack base support for the MINI Clubman R55.

Due to modifications on the body work (roof area) of the R55, there may be isolated installation issues in conjunction with the rack support part 82 71 0 435 846. We are investigating this issue. Please do not install roof racks on an R55 until we inform you about the corrective measures. We will not block the part from selling as it is still possible to install this part on a R56.

Our colleagues in Germany are working on corrective measures to solve this problem.

Thomas Kurz

Accessory Development Manager - MINI
This was sent to "MINI Passenger Cars, All Offerings, ALL Regions, All Areas, Sales, Parts, Service, All"

So there you go. The Service Advisor told me that I shouldn't expect anything until August or September, but then he added "However, it could come through tomorrow - you never know."

I hope this is of some help to everyone.

Last edited by Otra; 04-28-2008 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Otra
6th Gear
If anyone has any concerns they ought to keep an eye on this thread: http://www.mini2.com/forum/mini-club...ml#post3416927 There's some new info and experiences that have been posted today.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:40 PM
dez
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Has anyone actually gone to pick up their clubman, expecting to get the rack and have their MA say they could not install it?

Old 05-01-2008, 04:29 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Well, I came close to actually doing that but instead I called several days before I was to pick mine up and that is when I was told about the bulletin that I've posted about. I have it sitting right here in front of me and it is dated 4/17/08.

Go read that thread I posted a link to just above your post, if you haven't already.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:31 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Got this response from Yakima:

"Hello Rex,

Thank you for contacting Yakima Customer Support.

We need to test every vehicle as it comes out with our racks to make sure that the fit is safe. Our Fit Team has not had an opportunity to test that vehicle. We cannot test anything until one becomes available from a dealership and then it has to go through rigorous testing to be sure it is a safe fit. Many times, once we’ve gone through all of the testing we can use one of our existing tower systems and call out the fit. That usually just takes a month or so after we’ve seen it. If we cannot use an existing system, we need to develop something especially for it and that does take at least 6 months to go through the development process.

I have logged that you requested a fit for your car, which will help show our engineers there is demand for it. Once the vehicle has been evaluated, www.yakima.com will be updated with the information (follow the “Fit My Car” link).

Thank you,
Yakima Support"

Old 05-01-2008, 06:40 AM
dez
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Well, I came close to actually doing that but instead I called several days before I was to pick mine up and that is when I was told about the bulletin that I've posted about. I have it sitting right here in front of me and it is dated 4/17/08.

Go read that thread I posted a link to just above your post, if you haven't already.
Thanks Otra - I have read it... Just crossing my fingers that they will have it sorted in the next 3-4 weeks before my clubman arrives. If not I am wondering if I should ask MINI to compensate me some how? I really need the rack and ordered the vehicle with the assumption that that was an option.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:43 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Thank Rexicon. I just sent Yakima an email as well, just to let them know that there are more owners out here interested. Maybe it will make them work a little harder at getting us a solution.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:46 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dez
Thanks Otra - I have read it... Just crossing my fingers that they will have it sorted in the next 3-4 weeks before my clubman arrives. If not I am wondering if I should ask MINI to compensate me some how? I really need the rack and ordered the vehicle with the assumption that that was an option.
They'll compensate you by not selling it to you and not charging you the money they would have had you bought it.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:52 AM
dez
4th Gear
its not about the money. its about the fact that I need the rack

Old 05-01-2008, 09:08 AM
Jim Ray
4th Gear
I have the rack on my Clubman. It fits and does not leak. The rack is very secure, no shake or looseness.

My rack came in a box marked R56.
Tell them it is for a R56, buy it, install it and use it.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:44 AM
EAVclubbie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jim Ray
My rack came in a box marked R56.
Are you in a position to either confirm or deny that the actual part number on your rack's box (or invoice) is 82 71 0 398 321?

I'm sure there's some difference between that R56 unit and the 82 71 0 435 846 unit sold for R55... automakers wouldn't go to that amount of trouble to stock the same product with different part numbers...

Quick Reply: R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??