R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 12:52 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why would MINI not just issue their rack with several mount option pieces?

That way no matter what your time of manufacture or problem; the rack would fit...is this too easy?

Old 07-28-2008, 02:34 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
I have wondered the same thing since this thread started. I figured it was so obvious, it must be flawed somehow. Otherwise, I would think it would have been solved in that way soon after it surfaced.

Then again, there is solid evidence in this thread that it is simply an installation issue. Installation issues don't require any action by a manufacturer.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:28 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Um, NJ Clubman, I wouldn't blame you - or anyone else - if in all these 21 pages some bit of factual info was missed...but there is some serious corroboration with regard to the fact that some portion of the Clubman production run had a bit of a change that made the slots in those cars too small. Schatzy's outlined it fairly recently and even discussed it, though frustratingly so, with a Customer Rep.

Page 19 https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=464

Last edited by Otra; 07-28-2008 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 04:21 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Orta,
True. An unfortunate oversimplification on my part. There are some cars that have an issue.

Another item I don't quite understand. If the slots on those specific cars are too narrow, wouldn't a solution be to widen the slots appropriately? A simple dealer inspection should be sufficient to identify the need on a specific car. I guess "recall" is a dirty word in manufacturing, but that is what is needed here.

I simply want a Mini-acknowledged (and warrantied) solution here. I can only ride locally right now.

Old 07-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I understand and agree.

If you haven't yet - please do Call ASK MINI and ask what the problems are, etc. and register your frustration. At least if people call, they can't say that they didn't hear the complaints and just maybe things will move forward faster.

My own MA spoke with someone yesterday or today who was pretty highly placed but all he got was that they were, truly, working on it. Not much help, I know.

Old 07-29-2008, 08:33 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Nothing new on the roof rack retrofit - just more corroboration that they are dealing with it. However I do have some details on the new roof rails which I've posted on that thread today: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...2&postcount=21

Old 07-29-2008, 05:56 PM
Performance Angst
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm a little confused with the fact that the roof rack is a known issue and MINI just updated the configurator with the '09 data yet the roof rack remains an available option on the configurator for the clubman.

Old 07-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Don't blame you for being confused. Your best bet is to call 866-ASK-MINI, if you are on a need to know basis for your order. My guess is that they are still optimistic as to reengineering the bases for the roof rack...and didn't want to remove it, though as of now it is not yet available....but will be sometime in the future. But don't take my word for it - give 'em a call.

Old 07-30-2008, 07:37 PM
ppawlus
1st Gear
I have a Clubman that should be ready for pickup next week (I'm told mid-late next week..but I'm pushing for Tuesday.) Biz manager called me today and said he understands I'm interested in a roof rack for the clubman. He said they have the solution for the rack....available now. I dig a little deeper but then he backs off a little and told me he would have someone else (technical) follow up with me tomorrow. I obviously wanted details and he didn't have them....I brought up this discussion, etc. Maybe I'll find out tomorrow...and put in a call to ask mini..but last rep was clueless (2 days ago.) Just a micro update but I'm not too hopeful yet.

Cheers,
Peter

Old 07-30-2008, 07:44 PM
Otra
6th Gear
The last rep was clueless - call back and get them to talk to someone in that knows and call you back.

Old 07-31-2008, 04:15 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Otra
The last rep was clueless - call back and get them to talk to someone in that knows and call you back.
With all the lack of telling us anything except Mini is working on it, I am beginning to think, Opps I mean I know there is know one there that is "In The Know".

I am still waiting for a call back from a supervisor and am beginning to think they are blowing me off.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:28 AM
Duncan Maio
1st Gear
I have an 09 Clubman on order (Week 36 ) with the roof rails. My MA tells me that there are supposed to be crossbars and other goodies, most likely all compatible with BMW gear, but that nothing is available yet, and that I am the only order she has seen so far with the roof rails. I am getting a sunroof, too, and there has been no indication that that will be a problem.

The plan is to get (from MINI, Thule or Yakima, don't really care) crossbars and a basket rack, so that when I need to carry stuff I can toss it in the basket and bungee it down. If anyone ever makes an aftemarket 1 1/4" hitch receiver, the bikes will go on the back.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:45 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Duncan Maio
I have an 09 Clubman on order (Week 36 ) with the roof rails. My MA tells me that there are supposed to be crossbars and other goodies, most likely all compatible with BMW gear, but that nothing is available yet, and that I am the only order she has seen so far with the roof rails. I am getting a sunroof, too, and there has been no indication that that will be a problem.

The plan is to get (from MINI, Thule or Yakima, don't really care) crossbars and a basket rack, so that when I need to carry stuff I can toss it in the basket and bungee it down. If anyone ever makes an aftemarket 1 1/4" hitch receiver, the bikes will go on the back.
Mini has not shown anyone yet what their cross bars will be like but i have Yakima cross bars and accessories that fit the BMW X3,X5,525iT and other BMW racks very well and were much less expensive than the BMW supplied accessories.

We are being told that the Roof Rails are the same or very very similar to those on a X3 with a weight limit of 165 lbs. So the racks from Yakima or Thule may be your best bet.

As for a problem with the sun roof there should not be a problem as long as the cross bars mount on top of the roof rails as shown here.
http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?Number=8000118

This arrangement leaves enough room for the sunroof to pop up or slide back.

These are the one I use on my BMW and they work great. Not the easiest to get on and off but they hold a lot of stuff.

EDIT: I TYPE THE INCORRECT WEIGHT LIMIT AS 175 lbs IT SHOULD BE 165LBS corrected in text

Last edited by schatzy62; 07-31-2008 at 10:15 AM.
Old 07-31-2008, 09:24 AM
ppawlus
1st Gear
So I just made my weeklyish call to ask mini on the roof rack issue. The rep seemed familiar with the issue but did put me on hold to get the latest update. The latest update is...there is no update. As I told her I have a Clubman en route...she asked me if I ordered the roof rails...as there is a temp (or alt solution with that.) I said no as my mini was built the week before the option appeared on the configurator. She told me if I had the roof rails (only installed at the factory) then their current solution is to add the crossbars...sounded like those could be available and then bike mounts to add to that. Sounded like the B solution versus the A solution of the OEM roof rack. She said they are definately fixing the fit issue with the Clubman and the OEM roof rack. As we are now running out of July...as early as mid August or September but they want to make sure they don't have any issues...it is still with the engineers.

The biz mgr of my dealer told me a fix was in but ASK Mini said no it isn't. So I'm going to remain on holding pattern until I get something definitive. Let's all keep the pressure up on Mini to get this resolved. While I expect some have had success with what was offered...I would expect a better fit with "the solution." Thanks much to Schatzy for hanging onto this like the mini bulldog. Anyone else heard anything else?
Cheers,
Peter

Old 07-31-2008, 02:31 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
I would listen more to the business manager than I would "ask MINI".
But until you hear an announcement that is pervasive, I wouldn't get too excited.

MINI has not made this a priority yet...
A simple fit problem does not require much engineering, eh?

Old 07-31-2008, 04:02 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I, on the other hand, would not listen to the business manager...though I might listen to my dealership's Parts Manager.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:38 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Usually the parts manager only knows about BMW parts and it's "Harry" who knows about that MINI "stuff"....

Old 07-31-2008, 05:40 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Yeah, well not the Business Manager - he's the money man.

Here's to the word filtering down ASAP to the dealerships.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:56 PM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
OK, I just got and installed the factory rack on our clubman. I gave my parts guy both part numbers- the one for the R55 and the one for the R56. They shipped us a 82-71-0-435-846 rack and said the number had been superceeded. The rack went on with very little trouble. Just fears of scratching the paint. The fitting aid that helps push down on the split mounting plate was a little fiddley. Would have preferred something more solid so I could just set it and push down rather than set it, hold it in place and try to push down without it moving. Oh yeah, the other ***** is that they shorted me the cover caps.

NOW...I have the rack on the car and go over to the local Sport Chalet store because the Thule website says they have a rack "guru" that can help with any fitment needs. I guess the guru was gone-o, 'cuz I had much more rack knowledge than the guy working there.

Trying to figure out HOW to mount attachments to the factory rack. With the open, rectangular channel inside the crossbars, I would figure that they use some sort of machined metal block with a threaded hole that the attachment bolts to. Absolutely NO info on the RealOEM parts site, and the Thule site was not much better.

On the thule site I was able to find some sort of adapters that would clamp around the crossbars and then the attachment would bolt to those. I know someone mentioned Xadapters (#7 If I recall), but the Thule site was clear as mud about the adapters.

So...a few options.
1-Go on the trip with NO bikes.
2-Take the BMW with the bikes.
3-Try and find a Thule dealer that actually has some knowledge.
or 4-Break out the drill, bench vise,and tools to machine up my own adapters.
Option 4 is looking good.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:03 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SteveJ
OK, I just got and installed the factory rack on our clubman. I gave my parts guy both part numbers- the one for the R55 and the one for the R56. They shipped us a 82-71-0-435-846 rack and said the number had been superceeded. The rack went on with very little trouble. Just fears of scratching the paint. The fitting aid that helps push down on the split mounting plate was a little fiddley. Would have preferred something more solid so I could just set it and push down rather than set it, hold it in place and try to push down without it moving. Oh yeah, the other ***** is that they shorted me the cover caps.

NOW...I have the rack on the car and go over to the local Sport Chalet store because the Thule website says they have a rack "guru" that can help with any fitment needs. I guess the guru was gone-o, 'cuz I had much more rack knowledge than the guy working there.

Trying to figure out HOW to mount attachments to the factory rack. With the open, rectangular channel inside the crossbars, I would figure that they use some sort of machined metal block with a threaded hole that the attachment bolts to. Absolutely NO info on the RealOEM parts site, and the Thule site was not much better.

On the thule site I was able to find some sort of adapters that would clamp around the crossbars and then the attachment would bolt to those. I know someone mentioned Xadapters (#7 If I recall), but the Thule site was clear as mud about the adapters.

So...a few options.
1-Go on the trip with NO bikes.
2-Take the BMW with the bikes.
3-Try and find a Thule dealer that actually has some knowledge.
or 4-Break out the drill, bench vise,and tools to machine up my own adapters.
Option 4 is looking good.
I went with option 4 since the the T slots on the MINI rack were too big for the regular Thule mounts. The rack store gave me some metal (steel) squares that had a 6mm hole in the middle of them. I used these to mount the bike trays to the top and it works great! Got both fork mounted bike trays on. The last thing I'm going to add is the fairing but it will also be a custom job since I want to move it a little further out beyond the front of the sunroof.

FYI - I'm actually following how Brooks mounted his on his R56. Mine looks basically the same except I don't have the fairing on yet:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ight=roof+rack

Last edited by taskmaxter; 08-01-2008 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-02-2008, 01:08 AM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
Cool!
Thanks!

Glad to see I'm not the only one that gets frustrated with what is offered to the general public and takes the hammer and drill to task.

They just use a T shaped bolt and then have the thumb-nut on the top side to sandwich the top of the crossbar to the bottom of the attachment. I think I will be up early tomorrow, measure up some bar stock, drill and tap some holes and see how it goes. Need to do 4 mounts for the tandem attachment, 2 for the short bike, and then 2 each for the front wheel holders. I'm gonna need a new drill bit.

By the way, which rack store did you go to? They closed the Rack-n-road store near me.

Old 08-02-2008, 07:54 AM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Yep, I used Rack n Road as well up here in Sac. I then hit the local Home Depot for anything else I needed.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:36 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Finished Set Up

Got the remaining Thule bike trays on and got custom mounted the the Thule fairing to the front. I think it turned out pretty well. Sorry for the cummy pix but only had the camera phone. I'll try to take some better shots another time. I extended the fairing out beyond the front of the sun roof so it wouldn't get into the way of opening and closing it.

Attached Thumbnails Rack on Clubman - Issues??-2008-phone-pix-033.jpg   Rack on Clubman - Issues??-2008-phone-pix-034.jpg   Rack on Clubman - Issues??-2008-phone-pix-035.jpg  
Old 08-02-2008, 09:31 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
Made it from CO to NY with no problems at all. Again drove all speeds from 0-95ish. Trucks sure make the bike move a bit on the rack but never too much of a worry. Gas was in the 28mpg for the trip when average speed was in the low 80's I was down at 25.3. Not bad with the bike on top.

Old 08-03-2008, 03:09 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Would someone with the rack already mounted on their Clubman please do me a favor and measure the center to center dimension to the cross bars?

I want to install a ROLA brand cargo basket and it only mounts with three options for this dimension.

THANKS!

Quick Reply: R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??