R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008 | 09:28 AM
JGS
3rd Gear
bump...

MINI MINI MINI....

HAVE YOU SOLVED THIS YET???

Old 08-20-2008 | 10:43 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by JGS
bump...

MINI MINI MINI....

HAVE YOU SOLVED THIS YET???

Read the thread and you will find out that they have not actually come up with a fix for something that many of us do not need fixed. Why should the fix something that is not broken.

Yes there are some people that believe that this is still a problem but those of us that have actually tried it find that it is not a problem.

BTW i seriously doubt that MINI even looks at these threads. If they did they would do something about this and other issues but they don't so i would say that they do not look at these threads

Old 08-20-2008 | 03:14 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Ahhh...to be an expert.
The power; it must be thrilling.

I am happy that you are able to get a rack to fit on your car.
Personally I want a rack that I can go back to the dealer with if I have a problem. I want one that they are willing to sell me. I don't want to have to reverse engineer it and I am aftraid that I am not adventurous enough to take my inserts out of the roof to photograph them.

More power to you....I do appreciate that you have a lot invested.

Old 08-20-2008 | 03:30 PM
OWG
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JGS
Ahhh...to be an expert.
The power; it must be thrilling.

I am happy that you are able to get a rack to fit on your car.
Personally I want a rack that I can go back to the dealer with if I have a problem. I want one that they are willing to sell me. I don't want to have to reverse engineer it and I am aftraid that I am not adventurous enough to take my inserts out of the roof to photograph them.

More power to you....I do appreciate that you have a lot invested.
Not too sure how the snarky comment to schatzy moves you any closer to your wants.

Expressing you frustration to DIRECTLY to MINI might be a first step.

For the record, in my case at least, my dealer delivered the rack (sold it to me) with the car. Following schatzy's directions I installed them with no problem. Since schatzy was "adventurous enough to take my inserts out of the roof to photograph them" I now have an understanding of the mechanical attachment.

Taking a shot at someone who is trying to help is just lame.

Old 08-20-2008 | 05:22 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Had a longish post all written and the site went down on me. Perhaps for the best?

Schatzy's done a huge amount - his pdf sticky with its continually climbing views is a testament.

We're all trying to add insights to the roof rack issues. For those who haven't read every single page of this now 25 page long thread...you might want to read this post: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...&postcount=464 which points to a production change at some point that caused MINI to pull the rack base "officially".

For those who've been successful with the roof rack base install - three cheers! For those who have not, I feel for you - and for the others that have chosen not to try to buy one and install it without the official backing of MINI USA, I understand. I urge those in these last two factions to call and write MINI directly, as well as your dealerships. Keep up the pressure if it's something of interest to you.

Old 08-20-2008 | 06:22 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by JGS
Personally I want a rack that I can go back to the dealer with if I have a problem. I want one that they are willing to sell me.
Have you actually checked with your dealer. I have four dealerships with in 1-1/2 hours of me that would be glad to do it for you.

I know that is really not a realistic opportunity for you but put some pressure on your dealer to call Mark in the service department at Mini of Boston or In-Skip Mini of Rhode Island. They have some very experienced techs that can talk you service department thru it.

I have now seen over 10 clubman personally that have not had an issue with the rack and all have been from different production weeks.

In the past i have had to deal with corporate customer service for my Dodge Pickup, Volkswagon Fox, BMW 525 Wagon, and my Nissan Pathfinder.
And i must way they have all been wonder full. Chrysler had teh best service but I would rate all of them as 8 or better on a scale of 0-10. Mini on the other hand would rate a -100 on that same scale. Mini Corporate Customer Service, opps I mean Customer Aggravation is the worst i have ever seen.

Old 08-20-2008 | 07:05 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
Old 08-20-2008 | 07:09 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Just found that myself. Thanks for posting the link.

Old 08-20-2008 | 08:46 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Well I did not post on the first page of this thread....but my intrest has followed throughout.

Sorry if my tit for tat bothered some. Yes; a lot of work has been invested.

Old 08-21-2008 | 04:34 AM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Otra -- same here. I'm glad the post got killed. I would have regretted it.

JGS -- if the work done to date with the OEM rack is not "enough" for you, that's fine. There's much to be said for a warranty-able solution. Piece of mind matters -- to everyone to one degree or another. If you can wait it out, that's great.

Having succeeded with the OEM, I feel compelled to help others understand the real situation and risks (or lack thereof). This is what Schatzy did for me, and it was priceless. If that comes across as smug or arrogant, that's not my intent. I don't think the others that have succeeded on this path have that intent either.

Old 08-21-2008 | 07:19 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
OK today I had 2 downhill/freeride bikes on my clubman and it worked ok I only have one complaint and that is the noise when I go on rough roads. I can see the bikes bounce and in turn it makes the bars flex. This then makes the feet squeak bad. Maybe I just need to work on it a bit? On flat road it is fine but the roads I'm driving now are far from that. Just one pick to show it works:

One other note I had to take the small plastic fins off on the bottom of the front bar. I couldn't fit 2 bikes up top without sliding the trays all the way to the outside of the bars.

Old 08-22-2008 | 01:45 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
I just spoke again to the MINI dealer here in Atlanta... to avoid the auto response here by some members of the forum, I have done that several times in the past, yes; also.

They now tell me that they have been released by MINI to sell and install the roof rack on the Clubman. Unfortunately, that is about all they know. They are giving me part number: 82-71-0-435-846.

However; I have also seen as of yesterdays date:

Jason Aug 21st, 2008 Link
I can confirm that the newly revised Clubman Roof Racks are now available in North America. I work for MINI.

The new Part Number to order is 82-71-2-149-225.

This second part number (just above) shows in the overall BMW/Mini listings, but not in my dealer's system...so he can obtain it, but would not have know of it unless I gave it to him.

Anyone know the correct part to get for the Clubman?

Old 08-22-2008 | 01:55 PM
Otra
6th Gear
JGS, I'm guessing you saw that post from "Jason" on Motoringfile's page. It's possible that all the parts systems have not yet been updated, so you might want to call again next week and speak to the head of the Parts Dept. at your dealership.

Or maybe you out to ask Jason over on that Motoringfile thread of comments: http://www.motoringfile.com/2008/08/...rack/#comments - and order it from him? He might be the same Jason of Classic MINI in Ohio: 800-388-1098, though I'm not sure. It might be worth a call.

Last edited by Otra; 08-22-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-22-2008 | 02:08 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Thanks Buddy.

Also my apologies to any and all....my frustration was getting the better of me....Sorry.

Old 08-22-2008 | 02:21 PM
Otra
6th Gear
No problem. Let us know what you find out.

Old 08-22-2008 | 03:09 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by JGS
I just spoke again to the MINI dealer here in Atlanta... to avoid the auto response here by some members of the forum, I have done that several times in the past, yes; also.

They now tell me that they have been released by MINI to sell and install the roof rack on the Clubman. Unfortunately, that is about all they know. They are giving me part number: 82-71-0-435-846.

However; I have also seen as of yesterdays date:

Jason Aug 21st, 2008 Link
I can confirm that the newly revised Clubman Roof Racks are now available in North America. I work for MINI.

The new Part Number to order is 82-71-2-149-225.

This second part number (just above) shows in the overall BMW/Mini listings, but not in my dealer's system...so he can obtain it, but would not have know of it unless I gave it to him.

Anyone know the correct part to get for the Clubman?
I just got home a short while ago and had a message on my voice mail that there was a release by Mini for the roof racks. They did not list the part number or tell me much knowing that i already have racks, but they know i am helping others with this so they thought they would call. I will have to call them back tomorrow and find out what they have received for information.

From what i got out of a friend in England the proper NEW part number is 82-71-2-149-225. This was released in England a few weeks ago and i had posted here of the change to this part number. The 846 part number is only for the R56 Coupe now. But the 846 will work and has been proven to work many times.

So if they are giving you the 846 then they will have to warranty it if they do the work. Or youcan hold out for the 225 and if things go as they usually do with BMW/MINI then it coudl be a couple or more months before stock on the 225 is available.

After speaking with my SA tomorrow i will post back what i can.

Old 08-22-2008 | 06:30 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Cue organ music. Start closing credits.

Narrator: Tune in tomorrow for the next exciting episode of "As the Roof Rack Turns". Brought to you by Swiss Miss Instant Cocoa.
Seriously, this is fascinating. I'd love to see a side by side comparison of the new part to the 846. I'll bet lunch that they are the same part.

And...I am thrilled if this is the genuine (read "warrantied") solutions that some have been searching for. Hate to see folks going through rack withdrawal.

Can't wait to see what Schatzy learns tomorrow.

Old 08-22-2008 | 08:54 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MBX5
OK today I had 2 downhill/freeride bikes on my clubman and it worked ok I only have one complaint and that is the noise when I go on rough roads. I can see the bikes bounce and in turn it makes the bars flex. This then makes the feet squeak bad. Maybe I just need to work on it a bit? On flat road it is fine but the roads I'm driving now are far from that. Just one pick to show it works:

One other note I had to take the small plastic fins off on the bottom of the front bar. I couldn't fit 2 bikes up top without sliding the trays all the way to the outside of the bars.
Those are Yakima King Cobras, right? Did you attach them to the rack with Universal Mighty Mounts or regular Mighty Mounts?

Old 08-22-2008 | 09:02 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Clubman
Those are Yakima King Cobras, right? Did you attach them to the rack with Universal Mighty Mounts or regular Mighty Mounts?
I'm using the Yakima High Rollers ( http://www.yakima.com/product/8002091/highroller.aspx ) with universal mighty mounts

Old 08-22-2008 | 09:44 PM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
More thrilling adventures on "as the roof rack turns"

OK,
We got our rack just a couple of days before our roadtrip up to Oregon. I went to the local sparts shop that was supposed to have a Thule Rack Guru. I guess the guru was gone-o. I wanted some sort of adapter to fit normal Thule/Yak attachments onto the Mini (rapid aero) crossbars. The kid working there had no clue what to do. I went home and put on the thinking (cycling) cap and broke out the tools.

The inside channel of the Mini crossbars was just a hair over 1/2" x 1.0". I just happened to have some 1 x 1/2" bar stock. Cut it into some chuncks 6" long for the tandem attachment and 4" for the single bike and wheels holders.

Drill and tap holes into the bar stock. The bars slip inside the rack crossbars and then the attachment bolts down through from the top. Just had to measure for the proper length of bolts so they didn't bottom out. I also cut and drilled some small shims out of ABS to go between the attachment and the crossbars to keep them from marring.

Took the Clubman for a test drive with the tandem, 2 wheels and a single bike- all fine. Road trip of 1200 miles- all fine.

Two down sides. With the rack empty, the wheel holders would hit resonance at 65mph. I ended up stopping and unbolting the wheel holders. Then the metal blocks would slide around in the crossbars making a nice 'CLANG" at every corner.

The other major downside was that the factory Mini rack did leave a mark on the sides of the roof where the 'rubberband' contacts the roof. THAT one needs to be resolved before the next roadtrip.

I can see where the roofrack could deform the driprail & window seal at the clubdoor. Ours was out of sorts a bit, but lucily we had no rain to contend with.

Last edited by SteveJ; 08-22-2008 at 09:56 PM. Reason: fix pics
Old 08-22-2008 | 10:55 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
SteveJ, nice job on the setup. Looks good!

Old 08-23-2008 | 04:33 AM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MBX5
I'm using the Yakima High Rollers ( http://www.yakima.com/product/8002091/highroller.aspx ) with universal mighty mounts
Even better!

Did you buy the High Roller because it is more secure, or because you did not want anything touching your frame?

No problems with the mounts? How quick are they to put on/take off?

Old 08-23-2008 | 04:54 AM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Looks good, SteveJ. Love the Laser Blue, too.

Please share details as you experiment with the rubber band issue. I have not noticed yet, but I leave the rack on more than take it off.

I have found that the rack's affects on the club door/rain gutter were less on subsequent installs. The first time was the toughest. Interested if you find the same.

Old 08-23-2008 | 04:57 AM
Otra
6th Gear
This latest part number 82 71 2 149 225 is the very same part number that I was given by one of the members of MINI2, who apparently works for MINI, that I posted on the Roof rails vs Roof rack thread back on 8/19 https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...4&postcount=22...just to keep us all on the same page with regard to the latest "news".

In addition, I also feel that I should share some other information that was given to me by DPMINI Aaron on MINI2. Naturally, all who are reading this may take it with whatever mixture of "salt", belief/disbelief, etc., that they'd like. According to this contact:
'MINI Clubman models will no longer have roof rack preparation. Should a customer wish to fit a roof rack, option 386 Roof Rails will need to be specified. At present there is no retro-fit for Roof Rails so it is important to qualify your customer’s needs in case roof rack use is planned."

He added that current cars built before September 1st are supportive of the roof rack base with the above # 82 71 2 149 225, but that cars after this will not be approved to use these but, instead, must have the roof rails and their suited roof bars. Therefore, it would seem that the safest option is to spec the car with roof rails if anyone thinks they may ever want to use roof accessories. It has been hinted, with the usual vagueness, that roof rails may become an afterfit option. There is no confirmation any of this yet, as it will probably be down to demand ( or complaints ) received.

P.S. I do like your Laser Blue/BLK combination, Steve.

Last edited by Otra; 08-23-2008 at 06:29 AM. Reason: rereading copious amounts of info.
Old 08-23-2008 | 06:50 AM
MBX5
4th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Clubman
Even better!

Did you buy the High Roller because it is more secure, or because you did not want anything touching your frame?

No problems with the mounts? How quick are they to put on/take off?
I went with them because I ride downhill bikes and it takes 4 allen bolts plus a through axel to remove the front tire. I also run wide tires 2.5-3.0 sizes. The high roller is the only rack I found that says it will except a 3.0. The front tire clamp makes life easy and it clamps down great. The tray is also said to be stronger than the other type and with 40+lbs. bikes I felt this was a good idea. I can take it off in less than 2 minutes. Just unscrew 3 bolts by hand and thats it. Down side is price.

Quick Reply: R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??