R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 10:17 AM
JGS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sheesh...

I guess this way of communicating to their customers is the "MINI way".

I feel as though I best run out and get the rack now before they discontinue it....which I will do today; finally...LOL.

Old 08-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Otra
6th Gear
So are you getting the "new" one...the one with the new numbers? If so, you'd better take detailed close ups!

Old 08-23-2008, 11:04 AM
JGS
3rd Gear
I will try.
I have a BMW dealer very closeby. Since this is a BMW part number, I am hoping that they can order it as they confirmed by phone this morning.

The MINI dealer is a long drive...so I will try here. Leaving in a few minutes.
Keep you posted. It may be a backorder situation. At best a few days to be delivered I am sure.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:11 AM
Otra
6th Gear
We'll be waiting. Good luck!

Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Order in, but not "up".

Hoping for this next thursday delivery.

Old 08-23-2008, 03:48 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Staying tuned.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:57 AM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
JGS: how does that work with you ordering a MINI part from your local BMW dealer? I have bought parts wholesale from one BMW dealer (without a MINI franchise) for years and was just told that BMWNA parts has cut them off for MINI parts. Something about if they order just one of something for a MINI, that their parts system will then try to stock it for them.

It could have just been because there are 3 other dealers nearby that DO also have MINI dealerships. We struck up a deal with one of them and are now getting an even better deal on all our BMW and MINI parts.

To all: THANKS! for the thumbs up on our Clubman. It's my wifes toy that she designed. Just by chance the Laser blue matches our tandem. I just have to find some black/white checkered handlebar tape to finish the match.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:09 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Steve;

We shall see. I ordered on a Saturday, so the actual order will be placed tomorrow on Monday. Took some time with BMW, but he got my order together I think. He said that Thursday the parts should be there.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:38 PM
czmike
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SteveJ
OK,
We got our rack just a couple of days before our roadtrip up to Oregon. I went to the local sparts shop that was supposed to have a Thule Rack Guru. I guess the guru was gone-o. I wanted some sort of adapter to fit normal Thule/Yak attachments onto the Mini (rapid aero) crossbars. The kid working there had no clue what to do. I went home and put on the thinking (cycling) cap and broke out the tools.

The inside channel of the Mini crossbars was just a hair over 1/2" x 1.0". I just happened to have some 1 x 1/2" bar stock. Cut it into some chuncks 6" long for the tandem attachment and 4" for the single bike and wheels holders.

Drill and tap holes into the bar stock. The bars slip inside the rack crossbars and then the attachment bolts down through from the top. Just had to measure for the proper length of bolts so they didn't bottom out. I also cut and drilled some small shims out of ABS to go between the attachment and the crossbars to keep them from marring.

Took the Clubman for a test drive with the tandem, 2 wheels and a single bike- all fine. Road trip of 1200 miles- all fine.

Two down sides. With the rack empty, the wheel holders would hit resonance at 65mph. I ended up stopping and unbolting the wheel holders. Then the metal blocks would slide around in the crossbars making a nice 'CLANG" at every corner.

The other major downside was that the factory Mini rack did leave a mark on the sides of the roof where the 'rubberband' contacts the roof. THAT one needs to be resolved before the next roadtrip.

I can see where the roofrack could deform the driprail & window seal at the clubdoor. Ours was out of sorts a bit, but lucily we had no rain to contend with.

Steve- Great solution. I used 1" wide galvanized "stripping" which I cut, drilled, and the filed square holes to accomodate carrige bolts... I'm a little concerned that it's not the strongest solution and worry about the metal breaking and the bolt pulling thru, losing the bike. That being said, had the tandem and a single bike on the roof at highway speed up to 80 mph for short stretches with no issues. Tandem must weigh in around 42 lbs. Some nervous swaying depending on wind and turns, but to be expected given the mass propped up there like a sail. ATOC tandem carrier and Sportrack single. Set up for 2 singles and the tandem on the roof if needed, or 3 singles for that matter. Will look to engineer sturdier brackets like yours to slide within the crossbar slot, but need better tools or the help of someone more skilled in working with metal. The brackets that I had for my last rack were stainless but too wide for the Mini slots so potential to trim those perhaps. ATOC sells a Mini adapter but being impatient, I had created my own solution before their (extremely fast) reply to my mounting query. I keep promising pics, but life has been busy of late.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:12 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Bump--

I have not heard back from my SA because he is on vacation. I wish I could go on vacation.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 PM
LoveThatThing
Neutral
This is my first post I've been keeping eyes on this thread and updates for the rack.
I called Hassel Mini (Freeport, NY) and Habberstad Mini (Huntington, NY) today asking about the racks, at first they couldn't find the newest part number (225) that was posted, Hassel then told me this part hasn't been approved yet, then following phone calls from Habberstad (very nice people) also told me this is very new, they can locate this part however not the price just yet, then pretty much the same thing...but said it should be available hopefully in 2-3 weeks (because they need to test them out). BTW, I also inquired cost on the trailer hitch thinking it'd be my last hope to have the bike rack, but Hassel estimated $550 just on the labor ONLY , and told me it's prob. not worth it because not too many people are happy with it

Just thought to share this, I'm hoping the racks (or rails) will be released soon.

Old 08-27-2008, 04:36 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
LoveThatThing

Congratulations on your new mini. What is it? color, packages etc.

And yes there will be a fix, but how long before they are done is still up in the air.

So stick around and keep in touch

BTW the OEM hitch is not approved for the US market and the after market ones i have seen on ohter than clubman's the owners have been very happy with them. As for one of the clubman there are two companies (MiniFini and Mini Do More) working on them and both had promised end of July and now it is the end of August and we are still waiting.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:52 AM
JGS
3rd Gear
Well; too good to be true, I'm afraid.

My local BMW dealer parts department has told me that the roof rack is not available yet....same missinformed group at the warehouse as everywhere else.

I have an email into my sales manager to see what he can discover.

Old 08-27-2008, 10:32 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by JGS
However; I have also seen as of yesterdays date:

Jason Aug 21st, 2008 Link
I can confirm that the newly revised Clubman Roof Racks are now available in North America. I work for MINI.

The new Part Number to order is 82-71-2-149-225.
I new this statement was to good to be true. i have also called my parts guru at mini and he has told me "MAYBE late September" 82-71-2-149-225.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:07 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Apparently there are 80 of these in this country and half are in Florida.

But when setting the order up, the parts manager at teh BMW dealer was told that the "ban" was still in effect and that these racks could not be ordered.

This is at odds with what my MINI dealer tells me. I have emailled them asking for any information available.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:01 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 08-27-2008, 11:04 PM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
Hey czmike,
I didn't even think of going to ATOC for the info/parts. I just went to Thule, figuring they had all the engineering staff and money and stuff. (Is that why they slap a Thule sticker on the ATOC mounts?)

There is some swaying with the tandem mount, but there always has been. It's just disconcerting when you have it up on the car for the first time. I think it is more scary for those people driving behind you. The single bike is rock solid. The only real issue is trying to stay ~under~ 75mph or so, and staying out of the wake from big trucks.

Old 08-27-2008, 11:31 PM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
Old 08-28-2008, 05:11 AM
czmike
1st Gear
Originally Posted by SteveJ

The only real issue is trying to stay ~under~ 75mph or so, and staying out of the wake from big trucks.
Oh Yeah!!! Get behind a big rig and you find yourself doing over 75 to get round them!!! That was the "white knuckle" moment until I got comfortable. And the thought of a tandem bouncing into the vehicle behind me did cross my mind a few times.

The ATOC kit for the mini is about $30.

Old 08-29-2008, 03:13 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
The New OEM Racks were released for sale August 27,2008. It will not show up on the parts department parts listings until their next monthly update in September. It looks like no dealers have actually ordered them from the warehouse.

The Part number is the one listed above 82-71-2-149-225.

Now, also from what my parts guy stated the message came in with a note to use up old stock first. Well how can there be old stock on a new part number. Your guess is as good as mine on this.

I also called my dealers parts department on this and they will not be ordering this for stock untill theold part nubmer is used up unless someone specificaly orders the new number. Because of this i doubt i will be able to get my hands on one for some time to do testing with. Unless osmeone in New England will be getting one that i coudl drive to look at.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:22 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Before I roll my eyes back into my head, do you know if they are planning on selling this numbered roof rack base for the coupe as well as the hatchback? If so, at least I could rationalize the directive to use up old parts first.

Old 08-29-2008, 05:51 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Otra
Before I roll my eyes back into my head, do you know if they are planning on selling this numbered roof rack base for the coupe as well as the hatchback? If so, at least I could rationalize the directive to use up old parts first.
NO - as stated before in post 591 of this thread things are as follows except the last part nubmer has now been approved for sale in the US

There are now three different part numbers for OEM Roof Racks as I explained earlier in this thread.

82.71.0.398.321 - formerly for use on the cooper now discontinued in the UK but still available in the US

82.71.0.435.846 - formerly only for the Clubman but has now been changed to Cooper only in the UK but no change for USA. Yet a bunch of us have unequivocal proof it works on the clubman.

82.71.2.149.225 - New clubman rack part number but not avaliable for 4-5 weeks from one source and date for release not available yet from another source. Both sources are in the UK. NO mention of this part in the USA yet.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:32 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Well, yes, that is what I believed to be true.

Boy, would I love to see a copy of that missive from MINI telling them to use up their old parts first. This just doesn't make sense - not saying here that your contacts aren't telling you the truth - but it's completely insane after all this hoopla about NOT selling the former part.

I think I have to go back to the Presidential race and give up on this roof rack one.

Old 08-29-2008, 06:55 AM
JGS
3rd Gear
This from the MINI Accessory Development Manager; through my dealer: "I am working on a bulletin for these cars. They need some service work done to enable them to use the roof rack. The bulletin should go out next week"

Go figure...

Old 09-02-2008, 12:51 PM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just got a call from my Mini parts department. New rack is now available (as previously stated) up here, in the Great White North (well, maybe not today, as it's 31 Celcius...). Part number is the 225 one. They have stock at the parts distribution center in Toronto for 341$ CDN. I'll wait and see what the experience of others with this "new" rack is before making a move.

Quick Reply: R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??