R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008 | 03:50 PM
EAVclubbie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by mini265
Anyway, I have have the premium pkg so have the dual sunroofs. Boy was it noisy when I fully opened the front one. Has anyone noticed this or is it just a sunroof issue.
It could just be a sunroof issue... our car is kinda loud on the road compared to our old Volvo (but pretty quiet when compared to our VW Bus)

Old 10-04-2008 | 07:20 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Went over to a dealer shindig today. They had a MY (Mellow Yellow) Clubman with the rack and kayak holder attached. Well...maybe they don't read the bulletins, maybe it was an older rack, or something, because all four feet of the rack were in contact with the roof, the gutter was pushed down on the left rear, and the seal on the clubdoor glass was pushed out. Jeebers.

Last edited by hoonu; 10-05-2008 at 07:30 AM. Reason: 'cuz the first post was FUBAR
Old 10-05-2008 | 06:51 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Yours? So what did you do??

Old 10-05-2008 | 07:29 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Whoops! That's what I get for posting late. I meant a MY as in Mellow Yellow Clubman. Sorry. I'll do better.

Old 10-05-2008 | 08:06 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Well, I'm relieved for you, but I do have wonder about the poor Mellow Yellow Clubman.

Thanks for you post, hoonu!

Old 10-06-2008 | 08:19 AM
Prost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Prost
Just place an order for the 82-71-0-435-846 rack for my clubman, will tell you guys after it comes and installs sometimes next week.
Got it installed on Saturday, no problem at all and it took me just about 30 minutes to install with this Forum's installation guide Pictures soon

Old 10-07-2008 | 04:30 AM
Sandro
Neutral
Clubman roof rack- compatibility with Thule

Well, I too am eagerly awaiting Thule to finish "developing" their rack for the Clubman. In the meantime, if I become too impatient. Does anybody know if the rack sold directly from Mini is compatible with Thule accessories?

It looks like it could be but nobody can give me a straight answer on this. I ask because I prefer the bike tray that requires you to take the front wheel off when putting the bike on the rack.....more aerodynamic and stable.

Old 10-07-2008 | 05:38 AM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sandro
Well, I too am eagerly awaiting Thule to finish "developing" their rack for the Clubman. In the meantime, if I become too impatient. Does anybody know if the rack sold directly from Mini is compatible with Thule accessories?

It looks like it could be but nobody can give me a straight answer on this. I ask because I prefer the bike tray that requires you to take the front wheel off when putting the bike on the rack.....more aerodynamic and stable.
Not the one you are looking for, but I posted a photo of a Thule Big Mouth mounted to the OEM rack in the thread called " Pictures of Yakima or Thule Roof Bike Rack on the OEM MINI Roof Rack?"

When you go into your local Thule dealer, tell them you want to mount your preferred tray to "Rapid Aero Bars". The OEM rack is functionally identical to Rapid Aero Bars. The Thule manual to which they all refer will tell them which adapter is then needed.

Old 10-07-2008 | 07:35 AM
kep1974
Neutral
I agree with the advice about the rapid aero bars. I mounted a Thule criterium on my oem roof rails. You will just need to go to the hardware store and get some washers to back up the thule adapter bolts because the stock adapters use a flatheaded bolt which is a little too small to be really secure in the crossbar slots.

Old 10-07-2008 | 08:41 AM
Prost
4th Gear
Got it installed on Saturday, no problem at all and it took me just about 30 minutes to install with this Forum's installation guide Pictures soon
I take it back, the first day after installation, there are just more wind noise from the rack, which I expect after reading this post, but yesterday and this morning, it start to have a very "high pitch whistle" noise develop above 45 to 50 mph and getting very bad at 15-80 mph. Did anyone experience that I drove to about 80 mph on the first day after installation and there is no such whistling noise. I wonder why.

Old 10-07-2008 | 09:22 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
What material are the cross bars made out of? Are they aluminum like they appear?

Old 10-07-2008 | 09:50 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
What material are the cross bars made out of? Are they aluminum like they appear?
Yes

Old 10-07-2008 | 09:51 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
I take it back, the first day after installation, there are just more wind noise from the rack, which I expect after reading this post, but yesterday and this morning, it start to have a very "high pitch whistle" noise develop above 45 to 50 mph and getting very bad at 15-80 mph. Did anyone experience that I drove to about 80 mph on the first day after installation and there is no such whistling noise. I wonder why.
There should have been some rubber inserts to go in the rack slot. Did you put those in. They can make a big difference in the amount of sound the rack makes.

Old 10-07-2008 | 10:33 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Yes
Thanks

Any idea on the finish that makes it that silverish color? Brushed bare metal, powdercoat, paint?

I'm looking to polish them up to match my polished wheels

Old 10-07-2008 | 10:37 AM
Sandro
Neutral
Thanks that is helpful and encouraging. So, if I understand you right I can get the rack from Mini and get any accessories from Thule so long as I get the Thule adapter with it?

Old 10-07-2008 | 10:54 AM
Prost
4th Gear
There should have been some rubber inserts to go in the rack slot. Did you put those in. They can make a big difference in the amount of sound the rack makes.
Yes, I did put those in, should I take them off to eliminate the whistle noise?

Old 10-07-2008 | 12:55 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
I have mine in and get no wind noise at all. There are other possible culprits. Did you leave one of the black "end caps" (where the locks are) loose? Are the black rubber strips installed in such a way that there is a large gap at one end?

Old 10-07-2008 | 01:00 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Sandro
Thanks that is helpful and encouraging. So, if I understand you right I can get the rack from Mini and get any accessories from Thule so long as I get the Thule adapter with it?
Yes. There are a few Thule accessories for which no adapter is necessary. There are also several adapters (I have seen at least 3 different types). For every accessory (bike tray, kayak holder, ski rack), there is a particular adapter that is correct. There is a thick Thule fit guide book that you will find at any dealer. The dealer should use this book to tell you what adapter your preferred bike tray requires. You can also get this info on the Thule website, as I believe they have an online version of the fit guide, too.

Old 10-07-2008 | 01:59 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
They are made to be put in to cut the wind whistle down.

One other note. One of the cross bars should have small little rubber triangle sticking off the bottom of it. I think there are three. That cross bar MUST be mounted as the front bar. if not then you deifnately will get some extra noise. I do not know why but i do know that it is true because i have tested it.

Old 10-07-2008 | 02:02 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
Thanks

Any idea on the finish that makes it that silverish color? Brushed bare metal, powdercoat, paint?

I'm looking to polish them up to match my polished wheels
I believe that it is a brushed (very fine brush) and anodized. At least that is what it looks like. It is definately not painted or powder coated, and it scratches like hard anodized aluminum. Although the end caps have a plastic piece that is the same color and i believe is painted to match.

Old 10-08-2008 | 08:30 AM
Prost
4th Gear
They are made to be put in to cut the wind whistle down.

One other note. One of the cross bars should have small little rubber triangle sticking off the bottom of it. I think there are three. That cross bar MUST be mounted as the front bar. if not then you definitely will get some extra noise. I do not know why but i do know that it is true because i have tested it.
I did put in the rubber strip and reinsert the end cap, but the whistle is still there. should I take out the strip and reinstall again to make sure?

I did put in the cross bar with the three rubber triangles in the front.

This is going to drive me nut if the whistle stay

One side question, for those of you that put in the additional accessories (snow board, ski or in my case soon, bike) rack and need to take out the strip, will the whistle return?

Thanks for all the help.

Old 10-08-2008 | 09:07 AM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
One side question, for those of you that put in the additional accessories (snow board, ski or in my case soon, bike) rack and need to take out the strip, will the whistle return?

Thanks for all the help.
I have no whistle with the rack loaded or not. I use the rubber strips when the bike trays are off. The strips have come out/gone in several times.

The only real difference I see (or hear) when the bikes are on is a significant decrease in fuel economy. That is expected.

Old 10-08-2008 | 12:32 PM
MyroMini
4th Gear
No whistle either with the rubber strips on. If I remove them, then yes. And with the bike racks on, it's not that bad. Even though the strips are removed fro installing the bike racks, the front plates still covers a big part if the "slot" in the front crossbar.

Also installed a cargo box. Can the small fins be removed from the bar? I don't really like the box "floating" on top of these? (see gallery)

Thanks

Old 10-08-2008 | 12:48 PM
MyroMini
4th Gear
New Tule fit kit available

I don't know if it fits well. But I just received this update from Thule

You are receiving this e-mail because you have previously subscribed to
Thule's e-mail fit update service. This service is designed to inform you
about products that will be available for your vehicle on 8/1/2008. The
information you provided us is listed below:

Make: Mini
Model: Clubman
Year: 2008
This solutions can be viewed on our website under this address:
http://www.thuleracks.com/fit.asp?id=8726
If this message has reached you in error, please reply to the address
above and we will remove your name from this service.

Thank You,

Thule Car Rack Systems

Old 10-08-2008 | 12:56 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MyroMini
No whistle either with the rubber strips on. If I remove them, then yes. And with the bike racks on, it's not that bad. Even though the strips are removed fro installing the bike racks, the front plates still covers a big part if the "slot" in the front crossbar.

Also installed a cargo box. Can the small fins be removed from the bar? I don't really like the box "floating" on top of these? (see gallery)

Thanks
You could remove them but you would probably get more noise. I have been told that they disturb the air coming at the roof just enough to not cause to much noise.

Quick Reply: R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??