R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2008, 11:39 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dez
its not about the money. its about the fact that I need the rack
I need one too, but I'm not expecting anyone to pay me to make me feel better about not getting one.

Old 05-01-2008, 04:52 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
....as stated by a few others, buy the R56 model and install it yourself. It does fit and sounds like for most doesn't cause a leak. My leak wasn't horrible and it was under control w/the weather stripping. No big deal. If it would stop raining here I'd have a chance to put it back on. I could care less at this point if there is a little water in my clubbie

Old 05-01-2008, 09:41 PM
Jim Ray
4th Gear
Below is the info from the Morristown MINI site, this is what I ordered. Ran it through a car wash today, and not a drop of water leaked. Please note that I live in Las Vegas and have made a few trips through Death Valley since I installed it. The rubber in my Clubman is soft as it can be, not stiffened by winter chill!

[SIZE=3]Roof Rack Base Support System
[/SIZE]

Turning your MINI into your personal pachyderm starts here. Designed specifically for the MINI one-of-a-kind profile, the Roof Rack Base Support System delivers mind blowing versatility flexibility, with a masterfully engineered selection of optional adapters to match an array of extracurricular activities. With installation performed by your MINI dealer, the system features crossbars manufactured from high-strength extruded aluminum tubing to provide stability.

This item fits years: 2007 - on

Item # 82 71 0 435 846

Originally Posted by EAVclubbie
Are you in a position to either confirm or deny that the actual part number on your rack's box (or invoice) is 82 71 0 398 321?

I'm sure there's some difference between that R56 unit and the 82 71 0 435 846 unit sold for R55... automakers wouldn't go to that amount of trouble to stock the same product with different part numbers...

Old 05-02-2008, 06:20 AM
EAVclubbie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Jim Ray
Item # 82 71 0 435 846
So, you have the one that MINI dealership websites (Trademotion.com) lists as being for the Clubman... if it also fits the R56, then I suppose it's a modification of the original rack base (82 71 0 398 321) which trademotion still lists as available for the R56.

My intention was to order the rack base from Outmotoring.com, but they list the part number of the original R56 rack base... for some reason, I'm thinking this might not be a perfect fit for a Clubman.

Interesting that your box indicated "For R56" I wonder if anyone has ordered the 398 321 model and received the 435 846 model.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:07 AM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
EavClubbie - thanks for the link to Outmotoring. I'm going to call them today to confirm the part number on that rach for the clubman. They also sell some of the Thule bike adapters that I need as well. I'll post back here later if I got more detail from them.

Old 05-02-2008, 07:19 AM
rain_runner
Neutral
Parallel Thread for Yakima Roof Rack for Clubman

There is a parallel thread available on this topic. Search "Yakima Roof Rack for Clubman S". Pictures available in My Gallery.

Cheers,

rain_runner

Last edited by rain_runner; 05-02-2008 at 07:26 AM. Reason: Added reference to Gallery
Old 05-02-2008, 07:56 AM
subdude
2nd Gear
FYI, I contacted outmotoring a couple weeks ago, and they told me that the rack is the same for the R55 and R56. They did not have a seperate part for the Clubbie.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:10 AM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
So, it looks like you can use Thule bike rack components on the Mini roof rack? From reviewing the Mini Coupe forums I see pix there that they have added Thule components but wasn't sure if the Clubman rack was different (sounds like they are identical).

Old 05-02-2008, 08:19 AM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by rain_runner
There is a parallel thread available on this topic. Search "Yakima Roof Rack for Clubman S". Pictures available in My Gallery.

Cheers,

rain_runner
Rain_runner - those are great pictures. When you had them installed, did they give you the option for the front half or back half for installation? Just curious on if the installers recommended one or the other. I love the look and am an avid road biker myself, but feel a little squeemish having even a professional installer drill into my roof with all of the components up there.

Old 05-02-2008, 08:43 AM
EAVclubbie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by subdude
FYI, I contacted outmotoring a couple weeks ago, and they told me that the rack is the same for the R55 and R56. They did not have a seperate part for the Clubbie.
yeah... that's how its advertised on their website... I wonder what the actual part number on the box is (is the part number listed on the website obsolete?)

Old 05-03-2008, 11:23 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
I was picking up my Clubman today and was speaking to the Main Service Advisor about the roof rack issue. He has seen customers where the rack works fine on a clubman and easy to put on and take off. He has also seen the exact opposite where it was impossible to install the rack without scratching up the vehicle and breaking parts on the rack. He said the issue is not just Clubman but is also happening with the Coupe. He thinks Mini may have changed the roof gutters.

Anyway, he stated that the Yakima and Thule aftermarket roof rack for the coupe that graps the whole gutter should be identical for the Clubman, and in essence work the same. Has anyone tried putting the aftermarket rack from Thule or Yakima on their Clubman just to see if it fits and clamps on? I may try this tomorrow at a local rack shop here. I'll get back to you all with the results.

Old 05-04-2008, 07:08 AM
EAVclubbie
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by taskmaxter
Has anyone tried putting the aftermarket rack from Thule or Yakima on their Clubman just to see if it fits and clamps on?
I'd be nervous about breaking the plastic/rubber gutter... it doesn't appear to be a strong as the steel gutter on my VW Bus.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
czmike
1st Gear
What's your rack look like?

Assuming the racks are still available..., A question for anyone who has the new Clubman rack- Do the bars have a 't-slot' along their top surface where the attachment (i.e. bike carrier) slides in from the end of the bar and then locks down with a bolt pulling up a plate inside the t-slot, or are the just clamped onto the bar? Sorry if this sounds a dumb question but can't find good pics and am wondering if my SportsRack Mondial bike carriers will attach to the Mini cross bars. Hope this rack thing gets sorted soon, be really nice to carry bikes gear AND passengers.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:07 PM
Jim Ray
4th Gear
Tee slot.

Originally Posted by czmike
Assuming the racks are still available..., A question for anyone who has the new Clubman rack- Do the bars have a 't-slot' along their top surface where the attachment (i.e. bike carrier) slides in from the end of the bar and then locks down with a bolt pulling up a plate inside the t-slot, or are the just clamped onto the bar? Sorry if this sounds a dumb question but can't find good pics and am wondering if my SportsRack Mondial bike carriers will attach to the Mini cross bars. Hope this rack thing gets sorted soon, be really nice to carry bikes gear AND passengers.

Old 05-06-2008, 12:26 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
Thank Rexicon. I just sent Yakima an email as well, just to let them know that there are more owners out here interested. Maybe it will make them work a little harder at getting us a solution.
Hello Tim,

Thank you for contacting Yakima Customer Support.

Our Yakima Fit Team is currently assessing a rack fit for the Clubman. Generally, this means that we will have a fit for your vehicle sometime in the near future, but not always. Sometimes we find that there is no way to fit your vehicle; in this case, we will upgrade this note to a "No Fit" status. Otherwise, we will list what towers, clips, and bars will work for you. Please be patient, there are a lot of vehicles out there on the road today for our fit team to check out. I have logged that you would like a rack for this vehicle. That will help show that there is a demand for it.

Please check www.yakima.com  "Fit My Car" periodically to see if the fit information for your vehicle is available. Once we have a fit, the ‘Choose My Rack’ section will immediately reflect that information.

Thank you,
Yakima Support

Old 05-06-2008, 12:28 PM
tim781996
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rain_runner

Cheers,

rain_runner
It looks like you had to drill holes for that. Was that scary? How big are the holes? Do they use lag screws?

Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by tim781996
It looks like you had to drill holes for that. Was that scary? How big are the holes? Do they use lag screws?
I've checked with a couple of rack installers for a permanent install and they both feel confident they can put a permanent Thule and Yakima on the clubman (up front above the first sun roof). I prefer it there since I want to add a fairing. I'm still concerned with the necessary "drilling" that needs to take place though since I don't know whats along side those sun roofs. So, I'm waiting to hear that someone successfully installed a permanent rack on the front portion of their roof (not the back) before I pull the trigger!

Any takers out there?

I'd much prefer to get the rack from MINI, but god only know how long it will be before they get their issues with the rack resolved.

Last edited by taskmaxter; 05-07-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I was picking up my Clubman today and was speaking to the Main Service Advisor about the roof rack issue...

Anyway, he stated that the Yakima and Thule aftermarket roof rack for the coupe that graps the whole gutter should be identical for the Clubman, and in essence work the same.
But wait - the roof lines are completely different so how can they work the same?

Old 05-07-2008, 04:38 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
But wait - the roof lines are completely different so how can they work the same?
Yes, you are right. I don't think he thought about what he was saying since there is no way to use the one that would go on the coupe on a clubman (due to the protruding ridges on both sides). Based on this, our options are:

1) Wait for the MINI fix
2) Wait until Thule or Yakima has a version for the clubman
3) Go with a permanent install (with the "drilling")
4) Go with some type of hitch mount? Not sure if anyone has looked into this
5) Lug the bikes and other stuff in back until one of the options above becomes available.

Did I miss any?

Old 05-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Otra
6th Gear
As it's been noted - many have done just fine with the existing by having it installed or installing it themselves. Good for them!

Because I'm a cautious type and don't need the roof rack right now, I'm holding off...plus I don't think any MINI dealer that's read their bulletins would sell the roof rack now to a Clubman owner without a release of some sort.

I wish they'd made the Clubman with the normal dedicated roof racks that so many cars have, but they didn't...they may in the future and then I'll really be I'm going to keep the faith and believe they'll come up with something before "too long".

Last edited by Otra; 05-07-2008 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:06 PM
EAVclubbie
2nd Gear
6) find an aftermarket vendor who will sell the rack (or buy from a dealer, saying its for an R56... still not convinced they're interchangable... would love to see if an R56 owner has received a rack with the R55 part number)
Yes, you are right. I don't think he thought about what he was saying since there is no way to use the one that would go on the coupe on a clubman (due to the protruding ridges on both sides). Based on this, our options are:

1) Wait for the MINI fix
2) Wait until Thule or Yakima has a version for the clubman
3) Go with a permanent install (with the "drilling")
4) Go with some type of hitch mount? Not sure if anyone has looked into this
5) Lug the bikes and other stuff in back until one of the options above becomes available.

Did I miss any?

Old 05-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Jim Ray
4th Gear
Seems to me that you don't need that many options.

1. Buy the existing R56 rack, which fits fine. No one asked me to prove what car I had when I ordered the rack. $212

2. Install it yourself. Many of the problem racks are dealer installed. "Here is a rack, you got 15 minutes to install it, never mind reading the directions, we got cars backed up here!"

3. Enjoy the rack. Use the rack. They are strong a heck, and look good. Only a few people in cold climates are having leaking problems, and only when in a car wash. Mine does not leak at all.

4. If MINI comes out with a better rack, sell your existing rack to someone with an R56, and buy the new rack. There are no problems with the racks on an R56.

No way would I have holes drilled in the roof, when the MINI rack is totally removable when you sell the car. My opinion only.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:22 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Jim Ray
Seems to me that you don't need that many options.

1. Buy the existing R56 rack, which fits fine. No one asked me to prove what car I had when I ordered the rack. $212

2. Install it yourself. Many of the problem racks are dealer installed. "Here is a rack, you got 15 minutes to install it, never mind reading the directions, we got cars backed up here!"

3. Enjoy the rack. Use the rack. They are strong a heck, and look good. Only a few people in cold climates are having leaking problems, and only when in a car wash. Mine does not leak at all.

4. If MINI comes out with a better rack, sell your existing rack to someone with an R56, and buy the new rack. There are no problems with the racks on an R56.

No way would I have holes drilled in the roof, when the MINI rack is totally removable when you sell the car. My opinion only.
Jim, yes - this is a viable option. Where did you order your rack from? Did you specify you wanted a R56?

Old 05-07-2008, 09:38 PM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
It may be worthwhile for those of us looking for a roofrack (regardless of brand) to write to Yakima, Thule, and MINI/BMW. If one of the companies gets enough interest, they may bring a product to market. If one company comes to market that may be enough to get the other companies moving.

If nobody comes out with a viable rack, I'll just fab something up Rube Goldberg style befitting of the MINI Clubman's quirky nature.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:07 PM
Jim Ray
4th Gear
Jim, yes - this is a viable option. Where did you order your rack from? Did you specify you wanted a R56?
Morristown MINI, Phone order. The item ordered was Item # 82 71 0 398 321
which is identified on their online catalog as being the R56 rack.

A MINI service manager had told me previously that the two racks were the same, the only difference being the part number and the price, the R56 being the lesser price. So, being a cheapskate, I ordered the R56 rack. Fit perfectly.

Quick Reply: R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??