R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Rack on Clubman - Issues??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Prost
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by schatzy62
You could remove them but you would probably get more noise. I have been told that they disturb the air coming at the roof just enough to not cause to much noise.
I did removed the front one last night and the whistle is gone (at 72mph, more traffic this morning ). I will put on more miles to find out. Also ordered the MINI stock fork mount bike rack from outmotoring this morning

Old 10-10-2008, 07:48 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Prost
I did removed the front one last night and the whistle is gone (at 72mph, more traffic this morning ). I will put on more miles to find out. Also ordered the MINI stock fork mount bike rack from outmotoring this morning
Thats odd but if it works for you great.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:25 PM
Prost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Prost
Yes, drove it last night at 80mph and no whistle at all

Old 10-11-2008, 06:23 PM
mini265
1st Gear
Bike rack for Clubman 225 rack

I have been reading the posts on here to find out 1st about the rack for the Clubman and then the bike racks. I ordered the 225 rack before I took delivery of the car and it is great. Next was bike racks. I went to the bike shop and asked about Yakima (told they would not fit) and Thule. For the Thule to work I had to purchase another cross bar (item 532) that would go across the MINI rack. I was not thrilled with that. Then I called my MINI dealer as a last resort and they had 2 MINI bike racks in stock. Their web site had them listed at $130. They quoted $102 ea. They come with locks which the Yakima and Thule were extra. Both are on the car and were easy to install. I'll take a picture tomorrow with both bikes loaded.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:30 PM
Prost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mini265
I have been reading the posts on here to find out 1st about the rack for the Clubman and then the bike racks. I ordered the 225 rack before I took delivery of the car and it is great. Next was bike racks. I went to the bike shop and asked about Yakima (told they would not fit) and Thule. For the Thule to work I had to purchase another cross bar (item 532) that would go across the MINI rack. I was not thrilled with that. Then I called my MINI dealer as a last resort and they had 2 MINI bike racks in stock. Their web site had them listed at $130. They quoted $102 ea. They come with locks which the Yakima and Thule were extra. Both are on the car and were easy to install. I'll take a picture tomorrow with both bikes loaded.
Same keys as the base rack's lock? Also, fork mount? Waiting for the pictures

Old 10-12-2008, 12:26 PM
mini265
1st Gear
Update on the MINI Bike rack

I loaded up Little Red with bikes today and it worked out well. The MINI rack is pretty easy.

Attached Thumbnails Rack on Clubman - Issues??-img_0214.jpg   Rack on Clubman - Issues??-img_0215.jpg   Rack on Clubman - Issues??-img_0216.jpg  
Old 10-13-2008, 05:22 AM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
I still don't think anyone knows what the difference is between the 225 and 846 parts. Or...did I miss that post?

Old 10-13-2008, 11:04 AM
geoffv
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Clubman
I still don't think anyone knows what the difference is between the 225 and 846 parts. Or...did I miss that post?
Funny you mention those rack numbers because literally just got back from my dealership.

I had rack # 846 and installed it myself in August using Schatzy's instructions. It was difficult to get it installed and I had some pretty good bulges. The club door did not seal tight and would create some good turbulence nose on the highway which was rather aggravating

I brought my car in last week to get a few things looked at, like the door sills, 3M on nose, USB ipod interphase and rack.
My rack sat so tight on the roof that there was no gap between the rack and the roof. It created some friction and actually scratched up the roof were the rack touched (do to dirt getting in there from dirt roads). The dealer swapped out the rack with no questions asked for a new one part# 225 and buffed out 90% of the scratches.

Before he gave me the rack he compared it to my old 846 one. The 225 one has a wider cross bar. Installed it yesterday, it was far easier to install. The bulges are gone, the club door seals tight. So for me there was a huge difference with 846 and 225 racks. If you have a 225 and have the same problems as I have your dealer measure the racks.

I'm very pleased with the new rack. I'll upload pictures of my new roof box. Yakima Skybox 21, it's huge, just about as long as the roof of the car.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Great news, geoffv!

Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 AM
mini265
1st Gear
Hi Prost - There is a different set of keys for the base and the bike rack. Both bike racks use the same keys. As you can see from the pictures, it is not a fork mount.

Old 10-13-2008, 12:21 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by geoffv
Before he gave me the rack he compared it to my old 846 one. The 225 one has a wider cross bar. Installed it yesterday, it was far easier to install. The bulges are gone, the club door seals tight. So for me there was a huge difference with 846 and 225 racks. If you have a 225 and have the same problems as I have your dealer measure the racks.
When you say "wider", I assume you mean the distance across the top of the car.

One of the key pieces of Schatzy's instructions (#3 for those of you keeping score at home) is to loosen the bolts holding the crossbar to the mounting brackets. In essence, this step makes the rack wider, if needed. No matter what, the rack adjusts itself to the precise width needed.

Not doubting what you were shown, but I don't understand how that change in dimension makes the racks materially different from one another.

I wonder if the angle of the mounting brackets is greater -- thus providing more clearance from the roof dune. A longer crossbar would allow this without changing the overall length.

Hmmm. Still confused, but for different reasons.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:45 PM
jupiterfish
2nd Gear
looks like all they did you fix my oem rack from may was add some washers under the mounts to the cross bar. took a hour. i should have watched, i dont think they replaced anything else. but it doesnt bulge anymoe.

Old 10-13-2008, 01:48 PM
geoffv
3rd Gear
When you say "wider", I assume you mean the distance across the top of the car.
correct. I didn't catch that about losen the cross bar, now I wonder if that would have helped or did the angle of the mounts change from 846 to 225

Ok, confusion continues, but hey I'm finally happy with my rack

Old 10-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Prost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mini265
Hi Prost - There is a different set of keys for the base and the bike rack. Both bike racks use the same keys. As you can see from the pictures, it is not a fork mount.
Thanks, anyone knows how to make it a one "key" for all lock? Do you think I can replace all of them from a 6 locks set from Thule set?

Old 10-16-2008, 11:40 AM
Prost
4th Gear
I got the fork mount bike rack yesterday but the key number is not the same as mine OEM Base Rack. Do you think I can be able to change all the locks (6 of them) from Thule? Anyone did that before for their base rack? I am in LA and people from REI is clueless, any suggestion of a good dealer for Thule that I can go ask them?

Thanks

PS, the bike rack is the same as in this post and looks good

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=155687

Old 10-16-2010, 07:48 PM
julesagogo
1st Gear
The Thule Big Mouth trays fit perfectly on the OEM load bars once you use XADAPT2. (Throw out the instructions that come with the Big Mouth and use the XADAPT2 instructions to get the trays mounted to the bars.
It's been a while since this was posted so I wanted to check and see if the latest OEM bars (bought this week for a 2010 MC) will work with the XADAPT2 adapters; I have a Big Mouth (not sure which particular version it is) that I'd like to put on these bars. I've heard the Mini rack channels are a bit larger than the Thule channels.

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mundobi.../minicooprack/

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 PM
LesT21
1st Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lock Cylinders for MINI

Have a Thule pod on MINI racks. Found an online company with replacement cylinders for Thule (cheaper than REI), bought two cylinders with the same number as the MINI racks. Now the keys for the MINI racks unlock the Thule pod as well as the racks.

Interesting side note, cylinders came with a special key to install, that key was marked Yakima. To get it to work, I had to match file one side of it to match an original pod key. Double sided keys, but only one set of tumblers in cylinders.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:23 AM
tamitown
Neutral
clubman stock roof rack paint coming off pillars...what to do?

Hi, I have an '09 Clubman S. roof racks came on car. the flat black paint is rubbing off the pillars (feet that attach racks to body). What can I do about this? Looks bad!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:49 AM
MyroMini
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Same thing happened to me a few months back. Dealer changed the roof rails under warranty

Old 02-08-2013, 09:14 AM
bugeye1031
Received 80 Likes on 75 Posts
Originally Posted by myromini
same thing happened to me a few months back. Dealer changed the roof rails under warranty
+1

Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
bikerbob951
2nd Gear
Has anyone encountered any more leaking with these roof racks? I waded through the bulk of this thread but couldn't find any detailed information. When the rack is off, and you install the covers into the mounting slots, do they seal to the roof?

Last edited by bikerbob951; 02-20-2013 at 05:14 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:39 AM
bikerbob951
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by bikerbob951
Has anyone encountered any leaking with these roof racks? I waded through the bulk of this thread but couldn't find any detailed information. When the rack is off, and you install the covers into the mounting slots, do they seal to the roof?
Bump

Old 02-24-2013, 11:55 AM
sp_clark
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Will be following this thread as I just last week mounted the MINI-sourced roof racks I kept when I traded my '07 R56 last December in for an off-the-lot '13 Clubman. There were no "racks" on the roof on the Clubman, just the slots under the drip edge plastic.

(I've had friends report problems with thru-the-roof-mounted roof rack components before. Nasty to fix too.)

Dealer assured me they'd fit as nothing'd changed in the mounting system: the needed slots in the roof are underneath the drip edge plastic stuff, need only to be exposed by carefully tearing out the plastic where it's perforated.

Didn't want to wait for a BTO, hence the off-the-lot when they offered me good $$ in trade for my '07 S @ 97,000+ miles. Too many problems, too much time in the shop (6 months!) in 5 years to fix stuff related to engine "emission control" among other things....

Anyway, I repainted the rack uprights & plastic covers then installed them in anticipation of warmer weather when I'll be adding the 'pod. Installation vastly eased by loosening the bolts holding the cross-arms to the uprights, then tighten securely once the uprights are secured.

(BTW my MINI-sourced pod developed cracks I noticed early last year. I found proper ABS solvent & materials to reinforce & repair on-line, added material to eliminate the problem going forward but in doing that I also eliminated the 'adjustable mounting-hole" feature. Now I need only re-establish the mounting holes as the roof racks on the Clubman are farther apart than they were on my '07 S....)

On my R56 I'd pull the racks when I mounted my snow tires in late October or November, sealing the slots with gaffer tape. I may just leave them on 24/7/365 now seeing as how tricky they are to mount / remove.