R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Oh what to do - What to do...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008 | 04:04 PM
robertcbradley
|
1st Gear
Oh what to do - What to do...

I am absolutely dying here. Was in the dealership Saturday with my wife to finally order, but didn't. Why? We needed to think more about our color selection.

Not going to mention our selections at this point - we'll come through on that this evening.

BUT - the real issue that has popped up.

Starting to think I should wait another month or two to order an S.

Have saved to pay in cash and want to make the right choice. I keep my cars for an average of 5 -7 years.

We are buying a Mini as a second family car (young baby boy) and daily driver for me. Wanted fuel economy, fun, and practical.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? I AM WAY TOO CONSUMED WITH THIS. INPUT NEEDED!!!

Old 05-04-2008 | 04:15 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
We just went through this decision. We choose maximum economy; normally aspirated, manual tranny. The car will still be fun to drive.

I do like the dual exhausts on the Clubman S though.

Come on, what are your color choices?

Terry

Old 05-04-2008 | 04:27 PM
whiteyanderson
4th Gear
exhausts are changeable or they will be eventually for the new models with better, aftermarket systems...

that being said- get what you WANT first. if you really have questions about getting an S then hold out rather than wondering "what if".

depends on how you have it configured also, maybe you can drop a few options and pay and equal amount for the S? or bargain the price? other than convenience features if you're paying more for performance features on the NA version, leave those off and see if it equates to the S's price.

i have an R50 cooper and will eventually get an S. when i go to the mini site and build a fully loaded justacooper it ends up being the same price as an S or sometimes even more. i've decide to get an S when the time comes with whatever creature comforts i want and will add performance features later at a better price for better parts. unless we're talking JCW all the way.

Old 05-04-2008 | 04:35 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by robertcbradley

Starting to think I should wait another month or two to order an S.

WHAT SHOULD I DO? I AM WAY TOO CONSUMED WITH THIS. INPUT NEEDED!!!
How long will it take you to save for the S? Keep in mind that you won't be paying for it till it comes in, which will be a couple months.

I say go for the S.

Old 05-04-2008 | 07:10 PM
robertcbradley
|
1st Gear
To option it the way we would want it to be optioned, I would likely wait until the early fall. Opting for the S would also create a situation where I would want a few more things.

Never-ending, right? !

I may look back and regret not purchasing the S. That certainly wont happen if we get it first!

I estimate an additional 4000.00 for the S. I need a few months of saving for that amount.

Thinking of the Sparkling Silver - Beige interior. Lightning Blue - Beige Interior. Pepper White - Chocolate Interior....

If waiting until the fall - I will also likely be looking at an 09 build.

Old 05-04-2008 | 07:11 PM
robertcbradley
|
1st Gear
BUT I HAVE TO WAIT. And that friends is a terrible terrible enemy.

Old 05-04-2008 | 07:13 PM
robertcbradley
|
1st Gear
Terry - Get those pics on as soon as it arrives!! Sounds Fantastic.

LadyGodiva - Pics of the HC with Beige - sounds HOT!

Old 05-04-2008 | 08:32 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
I picked up my S yesterday and I have to say go for the S!

Old 05-05-2008 | 05:37 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
Get the S and don't forget the LSD.

Old 05-05-2008 | 07:04 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Bob,
Since you have a child on the way please consider the virtues of darker colors. Children, and little boys in particular, tend towards being messy creatures. The car-seat becomes the mobile high-chair, and juice boxes will get accidentally squeezed, and ketchup from that hot dog will be smeared. Please visualize red juice on that lovely beige leather. The seating surface inevitably becomes a walking surface, a begrimed walking surface. And in the daily crush of getting on with life, getting it cleaned up may not be yours or your significant others priority.

Depending on your tolerance, this can be a major source of stress - it drove me freaking nuts. For that reason we went with the hot-chocolate brown.

Re: To S or not to S - I have little to offer, we went the justacooper route. Simpler mechanicals, better fuel mileage.

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but this column for the NY Times jumped to mind when reading your post.

http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/...door/#more-229

Dan, proud father of a 5 year old son

Last edited by OWG; 05-06-2008 at 04:54 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-05-2008 | 09:26 AM
robertcbradley
|
1st Gear
Excellent reply - and as a fledging father I did not even think of that!!

Enjoyed the article too.

I hope to join the ranks of the owners in the coming months!

All the feedback has been great - really does seem Mini owners are a different, friendlier breed.

Old 05-05-2008 | 09:26 AM
robertcbradley
|
1st Gear
Dan - any photos of your SS with HC interior??

Old 05-05-2008 | 09:35 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Wanted fuel economy, fun, and practical.
Now this seems clearly Cooper territory unless "more power" is fun for you. Either way, Coopers are king of mpg!! Handling is the same. Good luck!!

Old 05-05-2008 | 09:46 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Dan - any photos of your SS with HC interior??
Not yet, we are to be a week 23 build. I guess photos in July wouldn't be timely.

The dealer did have a heavily optioned S - SS with HC in the showroom and it was, IMHO, nicely understated.

Old 05-05-2008 | 09:55 AM
lilruffcat
6th Gear
We own an 06 S and an 08 justacooper. I love my 06S.. the power , the handling. My husband loves the 08. It's all in preference. I have alot of experience with my S... so I am loyal to it, and love it..

Old 05-05-2008 | 09:57 AM
cloud10
4th Gear
Originally Posted by OWG
Bob,
Since you have a child on the way please consider the virtues of darker colors. Children, and little boys in particular, tend towards being messy creatures. The car-seat becomes the mobile high-chair, and juice boxes will get accidentally squeezed, and catchup from the hot dog will be smeared. Please visualize red juice on that lovely beige leather. The seating surface inevitably becomes a walking surface, a begrimed walking surface. And in the daily crush of getting on with life, getting it cleaned up may not be yours or your significant others priority.

Depending on your tolerance, this can be a major source of stress - it drove me freaking nuts. For that reason we went with the hot-chocolate brown.

Re: To S or not to S - I have little to offer, we went the justacooper route. Simpler mechanicals, better fuel mileage.

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but this column for the NY Times jumped to mind when reading your post.

http://tierneylab.blogs.nytimes.com/...door/#more-229

Dan, proud father of a 5 year old son

I don't have kids, but I have to agree with the above. Before I got my Clubman S I noticed a black MINI in town with a young child. A few weeks later it was parked in our neighborhood with a For Sale sign in it.
I looked inside and saw the black checkered cloth seats were so heavily stained. It made my stomach turn and I knew at that point that even without kids I would be opting for black leather or leatherette.
That car needed a heckuva detail, I can't imagine anyone wanting it with those stains.

Old 05-05-2008 | 10:31 AM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
as a long time "learn from your past mistakes" get what you want otherwise you will regret it. BUT, you will need to weigh the pro's & con's. In the long run if you want the "S", get it & remember it will be a few months before you even receive it after you order. The only drawback of the "S" that I can think of is less mpg's, other than that its a kick in the *** fun to drive car!

Old 05-07-2008 | 12:58 AM
SteveJ
3rd Gear
Less mpg, sure. More kick in the *** fun, yes.

Seriously, when we went to test drive, we gave the regular Cooper a go. The mpg was a big enticement, as was saving a few thousand dollars. I just wanted to be sure that the 50 or so extra hp on the S was noticeable. The deal was sealed when my wife got a taste of the S. The 50 or so extra horsepower was that noticeable.

The difference in mpg is not all that great and it would take you many, many tankfulls of petrol to realise any worthwhile monetary savings. Of course, if you factor in the greater risk of a speeding ticket, the regular Cooper makes more sense for saving money.

Old 05-07-2008 | 01:02 AM
DrDiff
Coordinator :: Northwest Indiana MINIacs
I thought I could be satisfied with "Just a Cooper". But the first time a MCS walked away at will from me and my R50 "Just a Cooper" was enough to justify "SuperCharger Envy" Now it is Turbo envy...

GO for the S DO NOT make my misteak!

Old 05-07-2008 | 12:56 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Father of a beautiful 18 month old toddler... Took a 600 mile roundtrip drive to Disney World last weekend in the Clubman S... We all had a blast.

My vote goes for the S

Old 05-07-2008 | 12:59 PM
robertcbradley
|
1st Gear
ClubmanS

Read your great post of that trip. Have to admit, it made me think about the S a tad more

Getting closer to a decision....

Old 05-07-2008 | 01:35 PM
JimVL
1st Gear
Originally Posted by OWG
Bob,
Since you have a child on the way please consider the virtues of darker colors. Children, and little boys in particular, tend towards being messy creatures. The car-seat becomes the mobile high-chair, and juice boxes will get accidentally squeezed, and ketchup from that hot dog will be smeared. Please visualize red juice on that lovely beige leather. The seating surface inevitably becomes a walking surface, a begrimed walking surface. And in the daily crush of getting on with life, getting it cleaned up may not be yours or your significant others priority.
I highly recommend getting seat covers of some sort for the back seat. Even if it just a simple blanket draped over the seats with holes cut out for the seat belts and fasteners. Dan said it right about the dirt and grime caused by messy children, mine very much so included!

Old 05-07-2008 | 01:42 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by JimVL
I highly recommend getting seat covers of some sort for the back seat. Even if it just a simple blanket draped over the seats with holes cut out for the seat belts and fasteners. Dan said it right about the dirt and grime caused by messy children, mine very much so included!
For the car seat, I recommend the set of covers made by Prince Lionheart. These prevent indentation damage on your rear seat cushion and back rest (Due to the pressure points on the car seat itself) and make cleaning the area a lot easier as dirt collects on them easily thus helping keep the rear seat area cleaner.

You can get those at BabiesRUs.

Old 05-07-2008 | 01:45 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
My toddler does not eat in the car , period. No juice or food of any kind. If we are on a roadtrip, we all eat together at the rest stop. He gets water at the most if we are in the car.

I was brought up that way. This is a good attitude to develop. The table is to sit an eat, not the car. Helps keep the car clean and free of bugs (Yes roaches and such become a huge problem on a car where food is consistently consumed).

Old 05-07-2008 | 01:49 PM
robertcbradley
|
1st Gear
My wife and I have been discussing this very thing. Really trying to focus on developing solid family time. I think the Mini, perhaps in an unusual way, embodies that. No rear seat DVD players or Entertainment centers, just a fun car to scoot around town in. Good tips. Thanks.

Quick Reply: R55 Oh what to do - What to do...