R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Stripes

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 09:51 PM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stripes

I got my Laser Blue Cm with no stripes (no sport pkg either). The more I see minis on the road (I've yet to see a Clubbie) the more I love the stripes.

Main reason I didn't get the stripes was that my wife didn't care for them and I was indifferent at the time. Now that I 'notice them more', the more I like the stripes.

In stead of the vinyl strips, I'm thinking of some custom painted on ones that are different than normal, yet still retain the "Yes, I'm a fn' cooper-s" look about them.

My cousin (whom I've not approached yet) has worked with the likes of Jesse James and other 'hot rod magazine types'. I think I'm going to approach him with the idea.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-06-2008, 02:48 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Virtually every MINI here in the UK has stripes and/or a contrasting roof so a hot-rod paint scheme (if that floats your boat!) would make you different. Or you could be guided by your wife and just be different by staying classy and subtle!

Old 05-06-2008, 03:39 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I'm with David, though we may be in the minority just about everywhere, you can "be different by staying classy and subtle".

Probably 99% of the people who'll respond to this will say "Go for it!" which is fine, too - but if you're unsure, why not wait a bit and see how you feel? There will always be different strokes for different folks - and plenty of after market companies/brother in laws ready waiting in the wings for you.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:01 AM
catseye
3rd Gear
I've had my car for 4 months now, still waiting for the right thing to hit me. It's a bit like writer's block, but I also don't want to have a car with the same stripe everyone else has, but don't want to be different just to be different. One of these days, something will hit me. I used to own this '56 Nomad... Maybe some kind of stylized stainless steel side spear like it had:

Old 05-06-2008, 05:48 AM
SmokeM
5th Gear
wow, you have access to a painter that works with Jesse James?! I would get really subtle stripes, like ghost stripes, very faint but you can see it if you look.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:38 AM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by SmokeM
wow, you have access to a painter that works with Jesse James?! I would get really subtle stripes, like ghost stripes, very faint but you can see it if you look.
I was thinking along those lines as well. He's done some really cool texture type of painting (he painted my daughters wagon this great 'pearly-metallic-purple' color but used lace to give it some texture. I dunno how he did it but it looks damn cool.

I'm gonna swing it by his place next week and ask him to come up with some ideas.

Old 05-06-2008, 07:17 PM
McCoin
1st Gear
Love to see a picture of that pearly-metallic-purple textured paint. [IMG]file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Jim/Local%20Settings/Temporary%20Internet%20Files/OLK53/New%20MINI-1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-06-2008, 07:30 PM
par724b
2nd Gear
Okay here's the deal with painted graphics or stripes, ( I am in the buss, 23yrs, vinyl stripes and graphics, logos .. you get the picture)
Paint is great and gives a real custom look, but you would have to repaint the car to get rid of them if you ever wanted to. Like for resale, it could greatly limit you buying market, esp if they are not as fond of the graphics as you, or they could love it and pay more ... from experience the former is more likely, limit your buyer. Or if you tired of them and wanted a change.
Whereas vinyl is permanent until you want them gone, then you can heat them up and remove them, I redo the graphics on my MINIs ( I have 2) about every year just for something new and up to date.
Vinyl is much less expensive than paint also, but then again custom paint is way cool!
So I would have to weigh the costs and what the future may hold for your Mini, I am sure that if I had access to JJ painter at reasonable fee I would consider it carefully, after all graphics is what sets your Mini apart from all the others and makes it fun for you!
Blake
NewMexico, USA

Old 05-06-2008, 08:53 PM
teachinkids
3rd Gear
I bought mini sans-stripes. The look was okay but not mini-esque. I have installed two different sets of bonnet stripes (the first ones i put on cockeyed) and just put on matching boot stripes. The look is clean and, well, right. I have used Aesthetic Creations both times and they're flawless! Get the stripes!

Old 05-06-2008, 09:48 PM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by McCoin
Love to see a picture of that pearly-metallic-purple textured paint.
Just one?? How about 3? If memory serves me correctly, he whipped this together in a few hours. He did the pinstripes too.

It is a bit dusty... due to a small house, we have to keep it in the garage where some boxes are in it. I take my daughter around the block in it from time to time.

Old 05-06-2008, 09:55 PM
ColdFyre
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by par724b
Okay here's the deal with painted graphics or stripes, ( I am in the buss, 23yrs, vinyl stripes and graphics, logos .. you get the picture)
Paint is great and gives a real custom look, but you would have to repaint the car to get rid of them if you ever wanted to. Like for resale, it could greatly limit you buying market, esp if they are not as fond of the graphics as you, or they could love it and pay more ... from experience the former is more likely, limit your buyer. Or if you tired of them and wanted a change.
Whereas vinyl is permanent until you want them gone, then you can heat them up and remove them, I redo the graphics on my MINIs ( I have 2) about every year just for something new and up to date.
Vinyl is much less expensive than paint also, but then again custom paint is way cool!
So I would have to weigh the costs and what the future may hold for your Mini, I am sure that if I had access to JJ painter at reasonable fee I would consider it carefully, after all graphics is what sets your Mini apart from all the others and makes it fun for you!
Blake
NewMexico, USA
Thx for the advice, Blake. I'll prolly wait a few months at least to know how much I love the car then decide from there. I agree that vinyl would be safer for re-sale purposes, but honestly, I don't want to stray TOO far from the Mini Tradition

Old 05-06-2008, 10:32 PM
lvxviaest
1st Gear
Originally Posted by ColdFyre
I got my Laser Blue Cm with no stripes (no sport pkg either). The more I see minis on the road (I've yet to see a Clubbie) the more I love the stripes.

Main reason I didn't get the stripes was that my wife didn't care for them and I was indifferent at the time. Now that I 'notice them more', the more I like the stripes.

In stead of the vinyl strips, I'm thinking of some custom painted on ones that are different than normal, yet still retain the "Yes, I'm a fn' cooper-s" look about them.

My cousin (whom I've not approached yet) has worked with the likes of Jesse James and other 'hot rod magazine types'. I think I'm going to approach him with the idea.

Any thoughts?
I say go for the painted stripes. All things considering, if they are done by someone with the skill you mentioned above, they should look spectacular.