R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Pre-Order Cell Phone Cradle ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 07:37 AM
JGS
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pre-Order Cell Phone Cradle ?

The threads on Cell Phones and iPods abound on this forum.

What I have finally gathered is that the feature in the arm rest simple lets your cell phone use the car's antenna and recieve power. Built-in to the car is a Bluetooth feature with a microphone so you do not have to wear an earpiece.

Has anyone pre-ordered their cell phone cradle to have it when their mini arrives? I have the convenience package coming and would love to have everthing good to go as I drive off.

Any problems or stories to share?

Old 05-06-2008, 10:50 AM
Alto Clef
2nd Gear
I would ask your MA to order it for you at no charge, for the following reason: the MINI website configurator shows and states that the Comfort Bluetooth option (or the Convenience Package which includes this item) allows you to charge your phone and tap into the antenna. When I picked up my car and found this part not included I was astounded, especially when my MA told me I'd have to order it, and he wasn't sure if it was available! I asked him 10 days ago to follow through, but haven't gotten an answer yet.

If you have ordered this package, IMO you should get the snap-in adapter free (make sure there is one for your phone model – they are phone-specific). It is the one thing that makes this package less than fully usable, whereas every other package is complete as is. Another $140 may or may not seem like much to any given customer, bit I view it as false advertising and bad faith salesmanship.

If you don't have the package it's a different deal... good luck.

Last edited by Alto Clef; 05-06-2008 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:41 PM
MBX5
4th Gear
I'm with you Alto. I got my car the other day and almost let the dealer have it about the cradle. Now I need to find one for my phone :(

Old 05-06-2008, 01:00 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Something else from Motoringfile that may be of interest:

MINI will be launching a new connection aimed directly at the iPhone and other smartphones for 2009. The option (code named 6NF) will be available on September ‘08 builds. It will connect a smartphone using the phone’s digital USB port for the connection, instead of an analog connection like that MINI currently offers with the 6NE Comfort Bluetooth. This provides quicker response time and offers clearer sound when playing MP3s.
Of course one thing to keep in mind is the armrest is mandatory for this option due to the connection (which as you guessed it is in the armrest). You’ll also need to purchase a separate snap-in adapter from MINI for your specific phone. And yes we are told MINI is planning to expand supported phones for 2009 - the iPhone obviously being one of them.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:18 AM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
has anyone heard more about this? My car is scheduled for week 38, and if this is available, I would really like to have it..

Thanks

Old 08-31-2008, 06:47 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks for that nicknbecka. Sure would be nice if something like this went out as an APB from all sales people to their clients who might want to take advantage of this. I just noticed the date on that Motoringfile piece - May 6th, 2008!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:35 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by JGS
The threads on Cell Phones and iPods abound on this forum.

What I have finally gathered is that the feature in the arm rest simple lets your cell phone use the car's antenna and recieve power. Built-in to the car is a Bluetooth feature with a microphone so you do not have to wear an earpiece.

Has anyone pre-ordered their cell phone cradle to have it when their mini arrives? I have the convenience package coming and would love to have everthing good to go as I drive off.

Any problems or stories to share?
I agree with what Alto Clef has to say. I think the cost of the cradle should be included since they hype the connectivity in selling you the Convenience Package. However, I assume that it is gonna be difficult to get your dealer to agree.

With that said, and assuming you will need to buy the cradle yourself, I recommend the following:

(This is for the Armrest cradle with the 2008 Convenience Package)

1. Search this forum to try to find the BMW part number for the cradle that fits your phone. I was able to locate my part number for my Motorola Razr2 by using this forum and google.

2. I think its generally safe to say that the cradle part number is the same for both the Coupe and the Clubman. Also, there are not many phones which have a cradle, so don't assume there will be one for your phone until you confirm it. I tried to get this info from my dealer's parts department and all I got was an argument. Even after I got the part number, they were still uncooperative, so be ready for some resistance about obtaining this part. (Don't ask me why)

3. Once you are sure you have found the correct part number, order the part through Classic Mini in Ohio. They are an authorized MINI dealer, are great to deal with, and give a discount to NAM members. My dealer's parts department wanted $140.00. I caught a sale at Classic, and with the NAM discount, I paid about $72.00. (Shipping was about $8.00 if I recall) I think this is a great price since the cost of a phone charger from Verizon was $29.00 alone. BTW, Classic is great for any and all other MINI parts and accessories, too.

4. Installation is a snap once you have the car, phone and cradle. Search my old posts for my experience with installing the cradle. Essentially, you remove the insert in the armrest and snap in the cradle. The installation instructions are actually located in your BT Manual which came with your owners' manual. This is something that the car owner can do on his or her own, so don't let anyone try to hit you with an "installation charge".

Let me know if you have any questions.
Rich

Old 08-31-2008, 12:15 PM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
(This is for the Armrest cradle with the 2008 Convenience Package)

1. Search this forum to try to find the BMW part number for the cradle that fits your phone. I was able to locate my part number for my Motorola Razr2 by using this forum and google.

2. I think its generally safe to say that the cradle part number is the same for both the Coupe and the Clubman. Also, there are not many phones which have a cradle, so don't assume there will be one for your phone until you confirm it. I tried to get this info from my dealer's parts department and all I got was an argument. Even after I got the part number, they were still uncooperative, so be ready for some resistance about obtaining this part. (Don't ask me why)
I've got part numbers to cradles in my spreadsheet where I've been able to find them, sourced from NAM, German Bluetooth prep PDFs and a few BMW resellers. I've taken people's word on what works for them, but there's been people reporting back that the BMW snap-ins weren't designed to work with the MINI and there's some risk involved. I haven't heard of any problems so far, but figured I should put the disclaimer out there for people to make the call on their own.

It might be worth noting that the 2009's that have the SmartPhone prep done will almost certainly be different (since they should support a USB connection), but I don't have any firm info on those yet.

Old 08-31-2008, 09:18 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by nicknbecka
I've got part numbers to cradles in my spreadsheet where I've been able to find them, sourced from NAM, German Bluetooth prep PDFs and a few BMW resellers. I've taken people's word on what works for them, but there's been people reporting back that the BMW snap-ins weren't designed to work with the MINI and there's some risk involved. I haven't heard of any problems so far, but figured I should put the disclaimer out there for people to make the call on their own.

It might be worth noting that the 2009's that have the SmartPhone prep done will almost certainly be different (since they should support a USB connection), but I don't have any firm info on those yet.
There are two different types of BMW cradles those that are the older style and those that are a newer style. I do not have specifics yet but some of the new 6 and 7 series went to a larger cradles to accommodate PDA style phones.

The older style cradles are usable in the Mini and the Mini was designed to fit them but the armrest in the 08 and earlier cars is not wide enough for the new style cradles.

I am working on a list to give to nicknbecka to add to his spread sheet.

As for the 09's we will jsut have to wait and see.

Old 09-02-2008, 08:43 AM
TyCrox07
2nd Gear
So, I contacted my MA about the possible digital upgrade for smart phones, and it bumped my price up $100.... I'm scheduled for a week 38 build, so it is in fact available.

Old 09-02-2008, 09:11 AM
david in germany
5th Gear
Originally Posted by TyCrox07
So, I contacted my MA about the possible digital upgrade for smart phones, and it bumped my price up $100.... I'm scheduled for a week 38 build, so it is in fact available.
My MA said he would try to get one thrown in but he doesn't have the part numbers yet. Anyone have a part number for a Motorola l6, l7, or l9 cradle?

Old 09-02-2008, 09:31 AM
nicknbecka
6th Gear
@ david_in_germany: I haven't seen anything for the Motorola L series phones, as far as the armrest snap-in goes. Someone has reported that the L6 works for the R56 and later Bluetooth system though.

The older style cradles are usable in the Mini and the Mini was designed to fit them but the armrest in the 08 and earlier cars is not wide enough for the new style cradles.

I am working on a list to give to nicknbecka to add to his spread sheet.
Thanks schatzy, I keep meaning to do that myself, but never manage to get around to cleaning everything up completely.