R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman Decisions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 05:51 AM
xcoastie
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman Decisions

First post here and looking to buy our first Mini. We are sold on the Clubman but there are so many options and choices. I know that overall it is my opinion that counts but we wanted some help from the pros too! So far the only thing we are certain on is an automatic. We currently own a lifted 97 wrangler, a 2000 civic coupe, and a 03 jetta 1.8T. We plan on only keeping the jetta once we get the mini.

We test drove both the clubman and the clubman s at a dealership, but we only went on roads with a speed limit of 30MPH and in somewhat heavy traffic. The closest dealer is about 1.5 hours away so going back multiple times isn't the best option...thats where some of your help is needed. How does the drive differ between the 2 models on the highway? The cars primary function will be for just trips from a to b and not a drag racer, since the turbo charged jetta is enough for us.

2 other options we are kicking around is the sunroof, and the audio. Since we are leaving the open air feeling of the jeep behind we thought a sunroof in our car would be ideal. However after testing one out, what is with the crappy shade that you pull to block 5% of the sun? I have fair skin and a child is going to happen sometime down the road, are there replacements for this, or does it actullay do a better job then I would assume? As for the audio, I have seen the specs on the standard and hi-fi, but is it really noticable?

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post, I know I left a lot of questions out!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Welcome aboard the Clubman section. You're going to get a bunch of different opinions on the S vs non S and depending upon how many of each type of owner frequents this area...sort of like the "popular vote".

Never have I owned an S, but I easily have found myself driving at 80mph and not even noticing it while on the highway - and mine have all been automatics.

Non S = better mileage and less money. S will according to its owners deliver a major punch in power.

Next - it depends upon your financial situation, as an S costs more. To some this doesn't come into play, for others it does. Then there's looks - personally, I have always found the non S coopers much more attractive visually but, of course, this is all a matter of taste.

Go back and test drive both in a better driving situation, otherwise you'll always second guess yourself.

As for the sunroof - had one and as nice as it was for us to gaze up at the skyscrapers in the city, I found the sun hit me in the eyes too much - but many really love their sunroofs.

Stay tuned - I'm sure you'll get more responses!

Old 05-07-2008, 07:02 AM
dlpruk
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There are more S Coopers sold in the US than anywhere else, despite the lower speed limits, the much longer average journey, the straighter roads and the poorer fuel consumption so I think a well-specced Cooper Clubman will suit you just fine. But I've never driven an auto Clubman so if that's a given for you then get the dealer to lend you one for a day.

In auto form the Cooper Clubman maxes at 121mph v. 136mph for the S and gives a 0-62mph time of 10.9sec v. 7.8sec for the S - but at the cost of a higher list price, higher fuel consumption and higher emissions. Yer pays yer money and yer takes yer choice!

I like my sunroof and find the blind adequate for me so I suggest you spec this - but with an open mind that you could always get it tinted later if you want.

The hi-fi upgrade is good value, IMHO, for speech and middle-of-the-road orchestral stuff. But I'd give it a miss if you are into heavy bass and hard rock as it's not a $$$$ sound system and there's no point in having it just for an audio shop to rip out.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:13 AM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
While our Clubman is still on order, we will immediately tint the roof very dark smoke or maybe even mirror silver tint. I am hoping that between the tint and the screen we will be OK. It certainly is a concern for us but I'm confident it can be resolved. Get the roof!

Regards,
Terry

Old 05-07-2008, 07:16 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
Based on what you're saying, it sounds like the non-S is for you since you're not looking for super quick acceleration. And, the hi-fi speakers are awful. I wouldn't pay an extra cent for them, but I bought the premium package and they came with it.

As for tinting the moonroof, I've heard that it's not good to tint it since it's already tinted. Lots of people have added perforated vinyl designs to the outside and that cuts back on the amount of light coming in. I haven't had any problems with the shade in mine, but it does let in quite a bit of light.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:23 AM
caulyne
4th Gear
Or get roll-up sunshades like the ones at minspeed.net and just pop them up in the space between the rolling shade and the sunroof. I love my sun roof. I have fair skin and my son takes after me. I keep the back shade up all the time and take mine out when I want the sunroof experience. (I just have to remember not to open them while going 75 down the interstate or I'll no longer have a back shade...) heheh.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:24 AM
minipuma
2nd Gear
I'm skipping the sunroof for the very reasons you mentioned. If I was to get a sunroof it would certainly be with the intention of tinting it since the amount of light coming through with the blind pulled is unacceptable to me. Also I've seen a number of people complaining on here that the blind constantly creeps open a few inches as you drive. The whole thing seems like more trouble than its worth for my tastes.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:53 AM
OWG
5th Gear
Well said Otra!.

xcoastie -

Two threads that might help:
Audio - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...=audio+upgrade

Sunroof -
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...hlight=sunroof

What is comes down to is what ever floats your boat

Old 05-07-2008, 08:31 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
As others have mentioned you can always add extra tint to the sunroof, and like you said you enjoy the open effect of your jeep nad the Mini sunroof is not your average peep hole, in proportion it's huge. The shade system has been on the Mini since 2002 so they have had plenty of time to change it if they thought necessary. If you don't get the roof you will have no way to change things, at least with the roof you have options.
If you are looking for an A to B vehicle then the non S cooper should do you just fine, just bear in mind the difference in HP is more than 50Hp so it's a considerable gain but with an equally considerable cost at the pump, both use premium gas also. Either way you're going to have aton of fun with these fantastic little cars, let us know what you decide and get.

BTW the Hot Chocolate color is amazing and worth a look considering it is specfic to the clubman only.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:24 AM
xcoastie
2nd Gear
Wow, thanks for all the fast replies everyone! As most of you noticed I am leaning towards the non S clubman. I think I would really enjoy the extra power, but since we are keeping the 1.8T jetta I can scoot around in that. The reasons for looking at mini were the gas mileage, and since my wife is too stuborn to learn stick, the auto non S sounds like a good fit. Plus I bet it serves mother earth nicer too. Another reason would be cost ofcourse too. Either a fairly equipped clubman or a bone stock S... trying to keep the financing to around 13-14k.

So if what I am hearing is correct, the audio upgrade really isn't worth it, and the standard setup is good enough. We mostly listen to rock, and when test driving the car I didn't even turn the radio on, too many other gizmos to look at!

Also the mini / bmw dealer said that they just put regular gas in all of their cars. I read several other posts, and I am not trying to start another debate, but thats just what I was told. When we bought our Jetta the dealer said they put mid grade in all their VW, Audi, and even Porcshe's, and that is what they rec. for all European cars since the octane levels are different state side. Another words he said that a 93 rating on the fuel tank lid is equal to an 89 rating at the pump. Not my methodology, just reapeating!

Old 05-07-2008, 10:35 AM
jweiss32807
2nd Gear
Others have commented on the sunroof.

I ended up getting the upgrades to the radio. From a quick listen, you can hear a HUGE difference between the base radio and the Hi-Fi one. I didn't want it originally becuase I don't use the radio much in the car, but the base radio was THAT bad. Given the stock radio is so hard to upgrade (well, the head unit and speakers at least), I didn't want to deal with that. I'm sure the Hi-Fi won't compete with even a decent aftermarket unit, but it would probably cost you more to add that later given the amount of custom install work that would have to be done. Really, Mini should be embarassed by the quality of the base radio. I've heard better sounding radios in a Kia.

If you are going to consider aftermarket upgrades to the radio, than go with the base. But if you want decent sound, and are prepared to live with the stock radio, than get the upgrade if you can afford it.

Jon W.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:41 AM
#20Works4me
5th Gear
Originally Posted by xcoastie
Also the mini / bmw dealer said that they just put regular gas in all of their cars. I read several other posts, and I am not trying to start another debate, but thats just what I was told. When we bought our Jetta the dealer said they put mid grade in all their VW, Audi, and even Porcshe's, and that is what they rec. for all European cars since the octane levels are different state side. Another words he said that a 93 rating on the fuel tank lid is equal to an 89 rating at the pump. Not my methodology, just reapeating!
Well that's just..........

Old 05-07-2008, 10:45 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Originally Posted by xcoastie
Wow, thanks for all the fast replies everyone! As most of you noticed I am leaning towards the non S clubman. I think I would really enjoy the extra power, but since we are keeping the 1.8T jetta I can scoot around in that. The reasons for looking at mini were the gas mileage, and since my wife is too stuborn to learn stick, the auto non S sounds like a good fit. Plus I bet it serves mother earth nicer too. Another reason would be cost ofcourse too. Either a fairly equipped clubman or a bone stock S... trying to keep the financing to around 13-14k.

So if what I am hearing is correct, the audio upgrade really isn't worth it, and the standard setup is good enough. We mostly listen to rock, and when test driving the car I didn't even turn the radio on, too many other gizmos to look at!

Here's another take on it from a previous owner (me) of an un-modded MkIV Jetta VR6 and a pretty heavily modded MkIV GTI 1.8t. Unless you've modded the buggery out of your Jetta the Clubbie's handling and fun to drive quotient is going to blow the Jetta out of the water so far that you'll want to take the Clubbie everywhere you go. With that in mind I'd say go for the S unless it's going to be the primary drive of your SO. You can always keep your foot out of the gas if you want to be economical but trying to mod a Justacooper to S levels will cost you dearly.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:06 AM
xcoastie
2nd Gear
No, not looking to do any kind of mods. This will be a daily driver, and the car we want to start a family with. That being said, we were really surprised how much space there was to get into the back seats with the 3rd door! That was the selling point. Initially we thought we were going to have to bite the bullet and look at SUV's and we hated that thought. The Clubman seems to be just the right fit for our lifestyle, it is just the lack of wheel time between the 2 models making us question what to do, and the distance to the dealer!

Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 AM
robertcbradley
1st Gear
You know. This is REALLY TOUGH. We are in a similar situation re: nonS and S. There are pluses to both - but I worry about regret if we do not get the S. Keep running the true purpose of the car through your head and you'll figure it out! Good luck.

Let us know what you decide - perhaps it will help me

Old 05-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Doogs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by caulyne
Or get roll-up sunshades like the ones at minspeed.net and just pop them up in the space between the rolling shade and the sunroof.
Thanks for pointing these out. I have roll-up shades for my R53 and love them. Easy-in, easy-out, and they make a big difference in the summer!

I've been looking for something similar for the Clubman, contacted Minspeed, and found out they should have Clubman-specific shades as of next week!

xcoastie - if you're coming from a lifted Wrangler and enjoy the open feeling, DEFINITELY consider the sunroof. I came (well, a few cars removed) from a '95 Defender 90, and my Mini is the only car I've owned since that had anywhere near the open feeling the Landie did. I credit that in large part to the massive sunroof, which actually comes far enough forward to enter your peripheral vision. You don't have to look back and up to see out of it, as is the case with so many sunroofs.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:39 PM
ClubDal
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Doogs
Thanks for pointing these out. I have roll-up shades for my R53 and love them. Easy-in, easy-out, and they make a big difference in the summer!

I've been looking for something similar for the Clubman, contacted Minspeed, and found out they should have Clubman-specific shades as of next week!.
Thanks for asking these questions, xcoastie -- I'm getting some good information out of them!!! ;-) And thanks for the info on the sunshade, doogs.

I had a similar quandry regarding the sunroof when I was designing my car. I absolutely hate it when my husband drives with the sunroof/windows open (I'm just not a windows down kind of girl), and the sun coming through his sunroof annoys the heck out of me even when he has it closed but the hard cover open (he drives a Civic). So I had pretty much decided against the sunroof.

However, after spending some time sitting in the Minis on the lot, driving a Clubman around, and doing some talking -- I ended up with a sunroof. The reasons were several.

1. Without a sunroof, the Mini can feel a little closed in.
2. I wanted the darker Anthracite headliner, which only magnified the closed in feeling.
3. When talking to folks at the dealer, they said that most folks want a sunroof when they buy a Mini. They had a used Mini on the lot that never sold simply because noone would take it without a sunroof. Not that I'm planning on selling it anytime soon...but it was a consideration for down the road.
4. I went on a bright sunny day and closed the "shade", and it shut out a lot more than I thought it would.
5. I talked to the folks about tinting and it sounded like a great solution. Now I read about this minspeed shade and I've seen the perforated vinyl images, so that just adds to the options.
6. I wanted the other two options in the Premium Package anyway, so it only added $500 to the cost.
7. This way, my dear husband can enjoy the sunroof on the rare occasions that he gets the keys to my Clubman.

So, that's how I went from no sunroof to a sunroof. Like everyone else has said, only YOU can decide...but since you asked, I thought I'd offer!

And for what it's worth, I ended up ordering an S (partly because my husband was worried about pulling onto the highway with lower horsepower...partly because I fell in love with the Laser Blue...and partly because this is my "I'm building my dream car" car and I liked the look of the S better).

Old 05-07-2008, 12:51 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also concur on that you should reconsider going for the Clubman S. To me the extra power delivery and great fuel economy make the car well worth it. If you are planning on spending a lot of time on the highway/road trips, the S model is hands down the better choice.