R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Chrome Line Interior ... what does it include?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2008 | 10:31 AM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by badzboy11
Talked to MA last night. He said that there is a service bulliten that just came out that says if you upgrade to hifi sound you get piano black speaker rings not chrome.
The problem is, the photo shown on the build site for HiFi, and for Chrome Line, shows chrome trim rings. MINI really neds to get their act together on what I consider to be a bait-and-switch issue. People rightly expect to get what they see on the build site.

Old 06-03-2008 | 05:42 PM
Nimcosi
4th Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
The problem is, the photo shown on the build site for HiFi, and for Chrome Line, shows chrome trim rings. MINI really neds to get their act together on what I consider to be a bait-and-switch issue. People rightly expect to get what they see on the build site.

I agree that they need to get their act together but the Mini lawyers will take care of discrepancies with the fine print.

Old 06-03-2008 | 05:54 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Originally Posted by DragonWagon
My MA told me the Chrome would NOT be on the speakers if I upgraded to the premium package.
I'm missing chrome on the rear cup holders.(open item from my delivery)
The middle-rear cup holder is chrome.

Woah, my MA was correct on the premium package chrome, per the Service Bulletin comment above. The dude was really great to work with, but who isn't when you pay MSRP.

Old 07-03-2008 | 04:05 PM
lurch70
|
6th Gear
finally got around to take the car back to the dealer ... they scoped it out and will order the missing rings ... once they are in, will get the call and they will be installed.

they didn't go for "I'll take a GPS and save you the trouble" line

Old 07-04-2008 | 05:17 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Nice try on the GPS, but glad to hear the chrome is en route!

Old 07-11-2008 | 06:04 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Well, Habberstad MINI came through - excellent service! I picked up my Clubman today after Habberstad added the "missing" chrome trim rings. They did a great job installing them, and the interior now looks complete.
They also took care of a creak that had developed in the dashbard by adjusting the fit of the right front air vent asembly. My loaner today was an '08 S Coupe. (an automatic, but you can't have everything). Great service from Ron and all at Habberstad MINI!

Old 07-12-2008 | 08:13 AM
lurch70
|
6th Gear
good news ... how long did you wait for the rings to show up?

Old 07-12-2008 | 06:26 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
good news ... how long did you wait for the rings to show up?
They had to order them twice, as the first set of replacement parts were also black. Each time it was about 7-10 days for the parts to come in. The wait really didn't bother me, as I had already waited three months to ask about the missing trim rings. It's something I wanted taken care of, but nothing urgent.

Old 07-16-2008 | 08:05 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
This whole "Gloss Black Mystery" has gotten me swept up in the past few days. I've gone around NAM and scooped up pics of all 2008 model year R56's and tried to figure out if there is a correlation.

One correlation is if you order the Hi-Fi stereo, the door speaker trims come in gloss black for some absurd reason. Keep in mind MINI had to go out of their way compared to the 2007 model year to mess this all up and add gloss black rings to their catalog! We all know this is primarily a Cooper S issue, as Coopers come with flat black trims as standard.

Another thing I haven't found yet is a Interior Chrome package for '08 where the door speaker trims are also in chrome. It seems that most people that order Chrome also order Hi-Fi stereo, so this has been tough to separate. Anyone's feedback would be appreciated!

I can't find any consistency with dash trim choice and door speaker trim rings. If you order Piano Black, I've seen both black and silver speaker trims. Ditto for Checkered and English Wood. I also can't find a correlation with upholstery choice; leatherette, cloth, cloth/leather, and lounge leather all have a mix of black or silver speaker trims. I also can't find a correlation with the Premium package and the speaker trims; I find both trim finishes.

Somethings to note: I saw a Clubman S this weekend that had interior chrome and Hi-Fi and it had black door speaker trims...as expected. I have an R56 waiting for me to pick up on Saturday and my sales person confirmed my Hi-Fi non-Chrome interior indeed has silver door speaker trims. Perhaps this is a function of strictly the interior chrome package? If someone has already concluded this and I'm behind the times, please remind me!

Thanks and Cheers,
Ryan

P.S. oh darn, I just looked at my '08 interior shots again. It seems that non-chrome interior cars can have black speaker trims! The ones I've found indeed to have Hi-Fi, but not always Premium package, anthracite headliner, and varying upholsteries.

Old 07-16-2008 | 08:12 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Rey, Hi-Fi comes without chrome rings.
My dealer told me that when I ordered and that's how it came with the chrome package.
Some here have gone back to the dealer to complain, since the MiniUSA configurator shows chrome speaker rings.
My dealer told me 'that's the way it is. No chrome speaker rings.

Old 07-16-2008 | 08:26 PM
Ryephile
OVERDRIVE
Yes I understand the Hi-Fi shouldn't alter the trim rings, despite the configurator implying it. My little inquisition is merely trying to find the root of the gloss black door speaker trims, which in theory should not exist at all. The door speaker trims should be:

Cooper: flat black in base trim
Cooper S: silver in base trim
All: Chrome with interior chrome package selected

...and that should be it...but clearly somewhere the gloss black speaker trims infected the system. Perhaps it was a mistake in the supplier and it didn't exactly make sense in terms of options. From what I can tell it mainly affects Clubmen, but not strictly.

Old 08-15-2008 | 04:09 PM
lurch70
|
6th Gear
finally 3 months after initial delivery ... the missing pieces were installed.
gotta say, my dealer's prep dep't did a seamless job adding them.

I like the extra bling on the doors

Old 08-15-2008 | 04:19 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Dangit, I have GOT to get the chrome!!!!!

Old 08-15-2008 | 04:55 PM
lurch70
|
6th Gear
yeah the chrome works best at night when you get these really cool reflections in it from the dash lights and also the disco lights in the doors

i'll take some pics tonight!

Old 08-15-2008 | 06:13 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
finally 3 months after initial delivery ... the missing pieces were installed.
gotta say, my dealer's prep dep't did a seamless job adding them.

I like the extra bling on the doors
Glad you finally got it! What exactly did they replace for you? Anything on the rear cupholders yet?

Old 08-15-2008 | 06:27 PM
lurch70
|
6th Gear
rear cupholders in the panels and the center one don't have any.

they added the 3 in each door (2 speaker rings and door handle) + the 2 front cupholers ... so 8 in total. they were all black from the factory. not piano black, just ... black (which I actually never seen before)

Old 08-16-2008 | 04:27 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Apparently, that's the final word on the rears which is fine, though a bit odd. I love the chrome; really dresses up the interior! Still amazed by the number of different finishes they put on trim pieces creating a huge potential for confusion. I've even begun noticing that the lowest end base cars come with yet another finish on the door ovals - textured flat black! I think that may be what your original flat black speaker rings matched up with. MINI gives soooo many choices on so many little things, while none at all on others (many of which I feel are important)!

Old 08-16-2008 | 11:16 AM
vaper
2nd Gear
my clubman, week 26 build (w/ hi-fi) came with chrome rings on:

tach
speedo
a/c vents (4)
both cup holder (in front of shifter)
cup holder by handbrake
door handles

but not around speakers where it has piano black.

Old 08-16-2008 | 12:24 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
I'm guessing you do not have the OEM armrest and that's why you got a chrome ring around your center rear cupholder (the one behind the handbrake). Those who got that particular armrest did not get the expected chrome ring for some reason (per MINI). Most people whose cars came in with the upgraded Hi-Fi also came with piano black trim rings, but many of us had them exchanged for chrome at no extra charge. Confusing, but true.

Old 08-16-2008 | 01:59 PM
Elby
1st Gear
Chrome interior rings

Has anyone received any information, from their dealers, that Clubman S's ordered now will have the complete compliment of chrome rings front and rear?

Old 08-16-2008 | 02:44 PM
Goldilocks
6th Gear
I'm very disappointed in South Bay Mini -- they were ordering my chrome speaker rims and haven't heard from them in a VERY long time (actually it was June 6th!!). The first 'replacement' rims they got in were black - they were ordering the chrome ones & were going to notify me -- haven't heard a peep out of them. Drove all the way down there only to find they didn't even check to see what they received in the box was correct (it wasn't) - wasted trip & gas money too. Not very happy with their followup customer service.

Old 08-16-2008 | 09:09 PM
lurch70
|
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
I'm guessing you do not have the OEM armrest and that's why you got a chrome ring around your center rear cupholder (the one behind the handbrake). Those who got that particular armrest did not get the expected chrome ring for some reason (per MINI). Most people whose cars came in with the upgraded Hi-Fi also came with piano black trim rings, but many of us had them exchanged for chrome at no extra charge. Confusing, but true.
wait ... what?

the center cupholder in the rear is to have one as well IF you do not have the armrest?

Old 08-17-2008 | 04:42 AM
vaper
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by 3DogDepot
correct, no armrest for me.

Old 08-17-2008 | 05:09 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
wait ... what?

the center cupholder in the rear is to have one as well IF you do not have the armrest?
Yep, that's the way it was explained to me by the GM of the dealership (provided one has the chrome-line int., of course). Something to do with the design/fitment of the armrest frame. Looking at all the stock on hand at the time confirmed it, so I didn't have a leg to stand on at that point. Not a huge deal, but if someone has a configuration that proves otherwise, sure would be interesting to hear about it.

Old 08-17-2008 | 08:39 AM
vaper
2nd Gear
I almost forgot to mention, they also threw in chromed '09 roof rails.

Quick Reply: R55 Chrome Line Interior ... what does it include?