R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Chrome Line Interior ... what does it include?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:07 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chrome Line Interior ... what does it include?

Just wanted to check with others that ordered the Chrome Line interior to just what exactly is chromed ...

I picked up my Clubman yesterday but I can swear things are missing from the doors and cupholders ... at least from what I can tell when configuring it online at MINIUSA.

Also any actual interior photos would be great!

Old 05-16-2008, 11:09 AM
driveblind
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get the piano black interior trim, as well? If so, then the speaker surrounds will be piano black instead of chrome, as it may show on the website.

Old 05-16-2008, 11:10 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
no ... just standard interior with Chrome line as an addition.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:04 PM
Otra
6th Gear
http://www.carpartsdiscount.com/cate...s.mini_cooper/ may help or this http://johncameron.ca/mini/ which is here on NAM within https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=138618 where it is noted that some say newer '08 models don't have as much as the MINIUSA site says...but I discovered that Donna/Mike seems to have it so perhaps she/he will post.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:38 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Build site shows chrome trim rings on front door speakers, but most, if not all, MINIs are coming through without these chrome trim rings. Some have been sucessful at getting them installed by dealers at no cost, citing the build site photos, some have not. I have this issue on my new Clubman, but I haven't gotten anywhere with the dealer. Also, the speaker trim rings are fused to the speaker enclosures, so the doors need to be partially disassembled to make the swap. The rings don't just "pop on" the speakers.
In the rear, only the center cupholder has chrome trim. The two holders on the outside of the seats do not, and they never featured chrome trim.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:25 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
thanks for that ... yes, i don't have any on my speakers, door pull jammie ... basically none on the door.

also none on ANY cupholders.

what dealer did you get the MINI from? I picked it up from Habberstad, my second from them.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:03 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by miniclubman
Build site shows chrome trim rings on front door speakers, but most, if not all, MINIs are coming through without these chrome trim rings. Some have been sucessful at getting them installed by dealers at no cost, citing the build site photos, some have not. I have this issue on my new Clubman, but I haven't gotten anywhere with the dealer. Also, the speaker trim rings are fused to the speaker enclosures, so the doors need to be partially disassembled to make the swap. The rings don't just "pop on" the speakers.
In the rear, only the center cupholder has chrome trim. The two holders on the outside of the seats do not, and they never featured chrome trim.
Yes, our new Clubman came in without some of the chrome trim expected so after checkng the configurator and brochure info., our dealer ordered replacement pcs. and installed them for us (no charge). They replaced the 4 door speaker trim rings which arrived as "black chrome" even though we have Brushed Alloy with Chrome Line Interior as opposed to Piano Black trim. They said there was nothing available for the rear side cupholders, and because we got the factory armrest, no chrome ring for the rear center cupholder. The mgr. was gracious enough to offer "something" in exchange for the missing chrome, and when a pair of side scuttles were offered (they remembered I liked them ), we happily accepted. This certainly creates good will and future business. We're very happy with the MINI experience and service so far.

FWIW, we were also told it would take at least a couple hours to do the swap because of the door disassembly, however they were finished in about 20 min. and (to my knowledge) did not actually have to take the entire door apart. The speaker covers are a single black plastic bowl-shaped piece with the trim piece attached which appears to just pop off.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:30 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
if they offered me something in return for the missing rings in the doors and cup holders I might take them instead.

i like the door kind of black and dark in some way ... i really wanted the shiny bits in front of me refelcting the light of the dash.

let's see ... what do I like from the catalog?

Old 05-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Otra
6th Gear
How about the Garmin 350 installed?

Old 05-16-2008, 06:00 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
lurch70 - also Habberstad. I'm going up next week to speak with the service manager. I got nowhere with my MA or with the sales manager, but I tried that via email. I never heard of no chrome on the door pulls, that's a new one, although no chrome on the speakers is a common complaint.
I have to add that, other than this minor issue, and a one-time problem with a sticky club door, my Clubman has been perfect, solid, and mechanically trouble-free. Now that I've passed 1,200 miles, I can also report how much fun it is to wind it up in third gear!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:09 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Habberstad is great. Go talk to them in person. It's my second MINI from them. The door pulls are chrome ... the ring surrounding them isn't ... none of the rings on the door are.

yeah, I already noticed that this new gen Cooper is a hell of a lot more juiced up than the previous gen. I am already giving it a bit of a workout ... nothing above 4000 rpm's but I hear a harder breaking period yields better HP down the line.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:38 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
lurch70 - thanks, I will. I really have no experience with Habberstad, as I haven't been back since I picked up my Clubman two months ago.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:40 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
no problem ... and come join the fun on www.nemini.org .... local NY area folk

Old 05-16-2008, 10:13 PM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We have the Chrome Line interior - and the ONLY place we don't have it is around the speakers. We picked our Clubman up on launch day - Feb. 16th. So it sounds like you may be missing what you were supposed to get...

Donna

Old 05-16-2008, 11:16 PM
Mantid
2nd Gear
I've noticed after looking on the configurator that there's more to it than missing chrome trim rings on the door speakers (which I don't have either) or around the door pull (which I do have) or the 3 (if you have an armrest)rear cupholders (missing chrome rings on mine too).

The configurator also clearly states the Chrome Line Interior "adds classic chrome finishes to the ... ***** of your MINI's instrument panel". I don't see even a single **** on my instrument panel that is chromed.

The quote can't be referring to the chrome toggle switches because the configurator site boasts they are a standard chromed item. The top of the Navigator toggle lever is chromed, but that's not located on the instrument panel and it's a separate option.

I'm in contact with my dealer and I'll report on how it turns out.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:36 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike
We have the Chrome Line interior - and the ONLY place we don't have it is around the speakers. We picked our Clubman up on launch day - Feb. 16th. So it sounds like you may be missing what you were supposed to get...

Donna
Thanks Donna and everyone else. There seems to be a general inconsistency from car to car around this package.

I am going to take interior photos today and post them.

It would be great if a few more people could as well, just for comparisons sake.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:58 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Donna/Mike

Donna
Donna, does this mean that you actually do have chrome trim around your rear side cupholders? If so, that's something I've not seen yet anywhere and I have to agree with lurch70 regarding the inconsistency on this one! (BTW, Donna, Greetings from another Donna/Mike with a beautiful blue Clubbie to enjoy! )

I appreciate everyone's comments and agree that we should keep tabs on this thread in order to get what we paid for.

Last edited by 3DogDepot; 05-18-2008 at 04:51 AM.
Old 05-17-2008, 09:43 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
ok, now the door photo above is really throwing me into a tailspin.

your door pull is PLASTIC in it and the surround is chrome and you have the speakers rings chrome also.

mine ... the pull handle is CHROME and nothign else is.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:47 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Wow - that is very, very weird about the plastic door pulls. I've never ever seen that before. Mine are chrome and I don't have the interior chrome line.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:24 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
OK, on pg 67 of the new Cooper/CooperS brochure it states:

If the optional chrome line interior is specified, the instruments, dashboard air vents, ring on the gear lever ****, door handles, speakers set in the door trims, and front & rear cup holders are all edged in chrome.
So, if you don't have it in these places, I'd get with your dealer, and have them read it straight from the book!

In addition, it also states:

On the MINI Cooper S, and on all the models with an optional interior surface finish or upholstery in leather or cloth/leather, the chrome trim is also applied to the door handles, the speakers set in the door trims, and the front & rear cup holders.

Last edited by LadyGodiva; 05-17-2008 at 10:27 AM. Reason: added second quote
Old 05-18-2008, 06:31 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
thanks for those snippets LadyGodiva ... good to know.

well here is how mine looks:

doors ... NADA

front cupholders ... NADA (however, the tranny does have it)

dash ... looks OK

rear cuphoder ... NADA

Old 05-18-2008, 07:50 AM
Donna/Mike
Sand Dollar Collector
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Late reply on all of this - sorry - been out and about this weekend. I think I caused some confusion too. We DO NOT have the chrome rings around the rear cup holders or the speakers.

Maybe it depends on what interior we all got? Not sure, but we'll be calling our MA tomorrow to find out for sure what we are and are not supposed to have...

Donna

Old 05-18-2008, 04:58 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Lurch70 - you wuz robbed! I can't believe that car passed inspection with all those trim pieces missing! Take it to the dealer and just show him. You can compare to cars on the lot, not one of them will have your problem!

Old 05-18-2008, 05:14 PM
penguinpwrdbox
Banned
Yeah, you're missing:

Cup surrounds (3)
Speaker surrounds (4)
Door pull surrounds (2)
Trans surround (1)

Old 05-18-2008, 05:17 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
My MA told me the Chrome would NOT be on the speakers if I upgraded to the premium package.
I'm missing chrome on the rear cup holders.(open item from my delivery)
The middle-rear cup holder is chrome.

Quick Reply: R55 Chrome Line Interior ... what does it include?