R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 What critics hate - I love

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008 | 11:13 PM
warev
|
2nd Gear
What critics hate - I love

I have read every review, forum, magazine article, I could on the internet, but for every thing they dislike about this vehicle, I absolutely love. They don't like the barn doors, I love the barn doors. The don't like the club door, think it is great. Don't like the speedo in the middle, think it is real nice. They don't like the drive, love the drive.

Love the car, when I saw it, had to have it.

Old 05-28-2008 | 06:22 AM
PhillGreen
2nd Gear
I couldn't agree more. The reviews I keep reading talk about how impractical the Clubman is, but I don't think that they are thinking about it the right way. I'll be able to do the grocery shopping, and I can get my golf clubs into it. In a pinch, I'll be able to get all three of my kids (10, 2 and 2 weeks) into it, along with a stroller and diaper bag (our van will still do the heavy lifting in that department). Finally, I will drive to and from work with a smile on my face and spend less at the gas pump.

Could I get a better kid carrying car? Yes. Could I get a car that gets better gas mileage? Yes. Could a get a car that is more fun to drive at this price? Possibly (maybe a Lotus? Can't think of anything in the same price range). But if I want all of these things, I think the Clubman is the perfect balance of practicality and whimsy out there.

Old 05-28-2008 | 07:04 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Well, I have to agree with you.

I guess "being critical" is what they get paid to do.

Old 05-28-2008 | 07:12 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
I agree, the Clubman is a pretty darn brilliant package!!! I can't believe anybody would whine about those rear doors...they must be looking for something with which to earn their keep and, since the back doors are a bit different on a car that size, they pick on this. Sad really.

Obviously, aside from on-line reviews, the MINI designers obviously agree w/ your assessment. We should appreciate the little innovations and attention to detail seen throughout the car.

Old 05-28-2008 | 07:16 AM
Doogs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by PhillGreen
Could a get a car that is more fun to drive at this price? Possibly (maybe a Lotus? Can't think of anything in the same price range).
The Elise is around $50K, isn't it?

In my opinion, there's only one other car in the $20-$35K price range that might could top the MINI (Cooper or Clubman) in fun-to-driveness, and that's the Mazda Miata.

Old 05-28-2008 | 07:27 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Doogs
fun-to-driveness
This was the main defining fact that made the Mini great.....that MINIs still retain this essential quality, in spite of the huge safety and other requirements made on modern cars, is a tribute to BMW's almost irrational devotion to the marque. That the Clubman (and the coupe for that matter) offer such fun in a fairly practical package (as opposed to a 2-seat configuration) is likewise brilliant!!!

Old 05-28-2008 | 10:54 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
In my opinion, there's only one other car in the $20-$35K price range that might could top the MINI (Cooper or Clubman) in fun-to-driveness, and that's the Mazda Miata.
Exactly...That's why I've been driving one since they were first introduced back in '89! (I'm on my second one now with a couple of brief "mistakes" in between. ) No better bang for the buck out there, IMO. The MINI always made the "short list" whenever it was time to go car shopping, but the Miata would win out in the end for us in terms of our "fun" car partly because of it being a convertible, and partly because it's so nimble. Now we have it all!

Originally Posted by gokartride
This was the main defining fact that made the Mini great.....that MINIs still retain this essential quality, in spite of the huge safety and other requirements made on modern cars, is a tribute to BMW's almost irrational devotion to the marque. That the Clubman (and the coupe for that matter) offer such fun in a fairly practical package (as opposed to a 2-seat configuration) is likewise brilliant!!!
You nailed it! Once we ordered our Clubman, we began telling everyone that this is our "practical" car, our "big" car. My husband has always been willing to drive the "practical" car so that I can have my fun little 2-seat convertible sportscar, but we finally found a vehicle that performs all the daily utilitarian functions efficiently and with style while still being a blast to drive! We applaud MINI/BMW for recognizing the need and opening the marque to a whole new group of enthusiasts! We love just about everything about our new Clubman!

Old 05-28-2008 | 11:05 AM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by warev
I have read every review, forum, magazine article, I could on the internet, but for every thing they dislike about this vehicle, I absolutely love. They don't like the barn doors, I love the barn doors. The don't like the club door, think it is great. Don't like the speedo in the middle, think it is real nice. They don't like the drive, love the drive.

Love the car, when I saw it, had to have it.
Many of the complaints I've read about the Clubman are in comparing it to other wagons and hatchbacks in the market, which, while a natural comparison for a reviewer to make, kind of misses the point. The goal MINI had in mind was to bring to market a slightly stretched new version which offered increased versatility without sacrificing the MINI driving experience. That's exactly what the Clubman delivers, and that's why I bought one.

Old 05-28-2008 | 11:16 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
I personally think the Clubman, generally, has reviewed way better than the R56 hatch when it was launched last year.

Reviews are just that "opinions". Some get it and some don't.

To folks on the "fence" about the Clubman... Go out and drive it. Touch it, sit in it. You may be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited by ClubmanS; 05-28-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-28-2008 | 07:05 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
The only thing lacking in design is a coin holder!
I kept mine from my BMW.
I'll be cutting it shorter and spray painting it...when I get around to it.

Anyone seen a Mini coin holder on the after market?

Old 05-28-2008 | 07:31 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DragonWagon
The only thing lacking in design is a coin holder!
I kept mine from my BMW.
I'll be cutting it shorter and spray painting it...when I get around to it.

Anyone seen a Mini coin holder on the after market?
Funny that my 2005 MCS has a coin holder built right into the glovebox door. It also has a key lockable glovebox and the front seat belts are height adjustable.

All of the above i missing from the second gen MINI.

Old 05-28-2008 | 08:02 PM
ejs0614
1st Gear
1200 miles in 3 weeks and I love this car...it is the perfect combination of utilitarian and FUN!

Clubman S rocks...

Old 05-29-2008 | 08:59 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ejs0614
1200 miles in 3 weeks and I love this car...it is the perfect combination of utilitarian and FUN!

Clubman S rocks...

Agreed. The most practical/fun MINI to date.

(And best looking of the second generation, too)

Old 09-07-2008 | 06:05 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
Maybe too late to be noticed here... but the critics also 'hate' the climate control center and the 'quirky' music controls. I think they're great, all of it. Mine has the thermostat setting, etc. and the integrated iPod and phone equipment. I love the fan, temp, radio and all.

Old 09-07-2008 | 11:21 AM
rasputinj
4th Gear

My only issue with Mazda is that unless you put in a roll bar for auto cross, it seems more like a car for my wife then a car I would drive. The Elise is pretty sweet for the money.

We also like the barndoors, 3rd door and the drive. Only an idiot would think the Mini should drive like a Camry or BMW sedan.

Old 09-07-2008 | 03:49 PM
ART ED
4th Gear
The critics are just too damn lazy and don't bother to read the manual to figure our how the climate controls or radio controls work. This new gen of critics lacks basic reading and comprehension skills. It is truly amazing what you can do after reading the manuals and practicing what they tell you to do to get the most out of your vehicle. I discover new things every day!

Old 09-08-2008 | 07:47 AM
tim781996
6th Gear
I may be in the minority, but I find that the temperature adjustment for the climate control is more difficult to reach and use than the one on my '04. I would probably be annoyed if I had to use the radio controls as well, but I really only adjust the volume since I change channels through the buttons on my XM radio.

Old 09-08-2008 | 08:06 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
Critics are critics. I can't believe Car & Driver after 10 years is still slamming BMW's iDrive. I mean give it a rest already. It is so easy to use.

Critics are critics. Their constant slamming of things like iDrive just makes them look like they have the IQ of an 8 year old IMO, because there are thousands of people out in the real world using the iDrive.

There is no perfect car. Do I like the Hyundai Genesis' price? Hell yes. Would I ever drive it over a BMW? Not in a million years.

Old 09-08-2008 | 08:20 AM
Deviant
5th Gear
Well, automotive journalists have to pick apart cars. If they universally praise a car and then people buy them and find the quirks, they get slammed as being biased. Soulless, quirkless cars like Toyota's and Hondas do much better in this respect but their owners are hardly as enthusiastic. I read the reviews but really only care about the hard numbers. You really have to drive a car, sometimes a lot, to see if it's what you need and want to live with every day.
The complaints about i-Drive I still agree with. People either find it natural and love it, or hate it. I guess I'm old school since I still don't like it and prefer actual ***** and dials for things. I don't even bother with Navigation systems in my car since I so infrequently need directions to where I'm going. The improvements they've made to i-Drive since initially offering it are to put more buttons, ***** and other redundant controls under it, basically taking a step backwards towards what every other car has. The only plus to idrive is that every rental car my friends would get in Germany would have it and they'd be unable to use it so I'd take control of everything but the steering, throttle, and braking, sitting in the passenger seat of the car.

Old 09-08-2008 | 12:06 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Agreed. The most practical/fun MINI to date.

(And best looking of the second generation, too)
Agreed.

Old 09-08-2008 | 12:51 PM
marasmini
2nd Gear
As most of you have rightfully noted - critics are critics! They will always find something to complain about: there is no 100% perfect car for everyone. And MINIs have always been in a class of their own. MINIs are like sushi - you either love them or hate them. Clubman being a "more practical" MINI is still a MINI and should be compared to other MINIs and not the MINIVANS or stationwagons and such, because it is none of them - it is a MINI :D
I said MINI way too many times :D

Old 09-08-2008 | 02:23 PM
napria
2nd Gear

Yes, and I considered the Miata, but it simply wasn't practical since I sometimes have my two kids. Oh yeah, and groceries. Oh and my dog. And my husband.

It just had to be a Clubman.

Old 09-09-2008 | 09:29 AM
Casey Jones
3rd Gear
I couldn't agree more. The reviews I keep reading talk about how impractical the Clubman is, but I don't think that they are thinking about it the right way. I think the Clubman is the perfect balance of practicality and whimsy out there.

I don't even have one yet, but after looking at every car imaginable for the last 3 yrs. I've finally decided on one. for pretty much this reason. (bolded)

Old 09-09-2008 | 11:21 AM
Barley
3rd Gear
Bingo! What PhillGreen and fertile-turtle said.

Old 09-11-2008 | 08:27 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
I couldn't agree more. The reviews I keep reading talk about how impractical the Clubman is, but I don't think that they are thinking about it the right way.
Impractical?! IMPRACTICAL?! What are they smoking?! Weed? They need to fire their dealer and get some quality weed! I looked at the basic Cooper and Clubman and the Clubman won me over. It had a better ride and a massive trunk with plenty of extra legroom. When my parents visit, it'll keep my mom from threatening to break my neck for buying a smaller car. My dad is taller than me and he was able to easily get into the back seat of the Clubman I test drove. Of course, the Club door helps immensely when getting out. And it can't hurt that it'll get an extra seven miles per gallon over my Intrepid. You're absolutely right.

Quick Reply: R55 What critics hate - I love