R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 SunRoof Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 08:17 PM
zeddy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wasn't sure how dark I'd want the sunroof so before paying to have it professionally tinted I decided to do a trial and got the static cling (non-adhesive) limo tint (5% light transmission) made by Gila --bought at autozone. There is enough for 3 sunroof panes (with the clubman having 2 panes) in a roll.

It is a big improvement on the bright sun coming in (maybe not enough for cars in the south and southwest) and since the sun is very weak in the winter in the northeast I like this option because it peels off easily with no adhesive residue so I don't have to have a dark roof all year. And the pieces are reusable.

It was pretty easy to do, looks very good and for $10.90 it wins in the cost department so I won't bother with a professional tinting.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:48 AM
mikegs
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Halifax
I just ordered the sunroof and front windshield set from Stratmosphere. They are specific on the sunroof model choices and simply offer one size for the windshield.... so I am winging it in the hope that the implication is that one size fits all. I'll let you know if it fits the R56 in a few days.

My wife fell in love with the Clubman and, for the first time in the 17 years that I've known her, spontaneously stated that she wants to learn how to drive a standard shift. Uh oh
So...what's the scoop? Everything fit as described, good material, would you buy again?

Old 07-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Ric in Richmond
2nd Gear
2 options.

1. Go to Home Depot in the insulation department and look for rolls of mylar silver bubble wrap material. One roll will do many sunshades. Rolls up small when you don't need it and the OEM screen holds it in place.

2. Call your local fast signs and buy some white perforated vinyl. Just get enough to cover the sunroof. not hard to apply yourself, just go slow and work the bubbles out as you go and pop the ones you missed with a razor balde, trim with a razor to fit.

Each works great and I have used both at the same time and the car stays VERY cool.

I hardly use the bubble wrap anymore.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:12 AM
Ric in Richmond
2nd Gear
2 options.

1. Go to Home Depot in the insulation department and look for rolls of mylar silver bubble wrap material. One roll will do many sunshades. Rolls up small when you don't need it and the OEM screen holds it in place.

2. Call your local fast signs and buy some white perforated vinyl. Just get enough to cover the sunroof. not hard to apply yourself, just go slow and work the bubbles out as you go and pop the ones you missed with a razor blade, trim with a razor to fit.

Each works great and I have used both at the same time and the car stays VERY cool.

I hardly use the bubble wrap anymore.

Old 07-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikegs
So...what's the scoop? Everything fit as described, good material, would you buy again?
I received the roof and windshield sunshades from Stratmosphere. They install quickly and easily into the sunroof ports. We put them in on the fly and the difference in cabin temp and comfort level was fairly dramatic. They have a shiny mylar side and a non-mylar side, with some kind of base material inside them - they look very durable ... they are not flimsy or fragile, that's for sure.

You don't have to pull the sunshade closed to keep them in place. They have a tongue that articulates into the roof space beyond the sunroof and it holds them in place, both front and rear. We pulled the shade closed anyway and there was no problem with clearance.

Windshield cover is the same ... fits great, stays in place by itself, and very durable. All three come with a velcro strap to secure them when they are rolled up ... and you can roll them up pretty tightly. All are a bit too big to easily tuck into the nets behind the seats. The only improvement I can see so far is that they could have stitched the velcro strap to one edge of the shields. We ended up stashing the straps in the glove compartment.

We also mistakenly opened the sunroof with the shields in place while on the highway and I can report that they did not get sucked out of the car

.. but I wouldn't suggest doing that.

Anyway, they were well worth the $$$ ....

Last edited by Halifax; 07-08-2008 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-08-2008, 03:42 PM
BahnMan
1st Gear
I received the roof and windshield sunshades from Stratmosphere. They install quickly and easily into the sunroof ports. We put them in on the fly and the difference in cabin temp and comfort level was fairly dramatic. They have a shiny mylar side and a non-mylar side, with some kind of base material inside them - they look very durable ... they are not flimsy or fragile, that's for sure.

You don't have to pull the sunshade closed to keep them in place. They have a tongue that articulates into the roof space beyond the sunroof and it holds them in place, both front and rear. We pulled the shade closed anyway and there was no problem with clearance.

Windshield cover is the same ... fits great, stays in place by itself, and very durable. All three come with a velcro strap to secure them when they are rolled up ... and you can roll them up pretty tightly. All are a bit too big too easily tuck into the nets behind the seats. The only improvement I can see so far is that they could have stitched the velcro strap to one edge of the shields. We ended up stashing the straps in the glove compartment.

We also mistakenly opened the sunroof with the shields in place while on the highway and I can report that they did not get sucked out of the car

Thanks, Halifax. Good report. I have a set on order for my Clubman.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:02 PM
mikegs
1st Gear

Windshield cover is the same ... fits great, stays in place by itself, and very durable. All three come with a velcro strap to secure them when they are rolled up ... and you can roll them up pretty tightly. All are a bit too big to easily tuck into the nets behind the seats. The only improvement I can see so far is that they could have stitched the velcro strap to one edge of the shields. We ended up stashing the straps in the glove compartment.

Excellent. Thanks for the review. I just ordered a set...should be here in about two weeks.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:56 AM
Arns
2nd Gear
For a simple and inexpensive solution, I purchase poster board paper from Kinko's and cut it to 14x24 size and dropped it in. I did put two tabs on each piece by folding masking tape. They made it a bit easier to remove the paper shield. It will be fine until I choose a roof graphic or buy a windshield type reflector.

Tom
BRG Clubman S
Cincinnati, Ohio

Old 08-04-2008, 03:09 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks for your review Halifax, I'd been wondering about this company...and I see they now have some for the Clubman, too.

Old 08-04-2008, 07:10 PM
mikegs
1st Gear
I received my set about three weeks ago. Everything stated before is accurate. Good fit, blocks a great amount of heat, seem very durable. I have no reservations about recommending them to others.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 PM
minipsych
2nd Gear
My MA gave me directions to cut out 25' X 18' sections from a jumbo size windshield sun visor that can be easily purchased at any wal-mart, auto store, etc. Cutting was easy and I placed them quickly into the moon roof. Closed the oem with no difficulty. Proof will be in the pudding tomorrow as temps have been getting above 100 degrees here pretty regularly. I'll let you know how that goes. This was a really cheap and easy fix if it works. I expect they will fold up and fit inside the pockets behind front seat.

Old 08-05-2008, 02:41 PM
minimundus
1st Gear
Originally Posted by mikegs
Everything stated before is accurate. Good fit, blocks a great amount of heat, seem very durable. I have no reservations about recommending them to others.
+1

Only thing I can guess about the straps not being attached to the roof pieces, is so that they are not hanging down in the cabin or get stuck in the sunroof someway

Old 08-05-2008, 04:59 PM
Calicoskies
3rd Gear
I also have the Stratmosphere sunshades for the Clubbie and they work great. I was leary about spending so much $ for them, but they really are worth it. As others have said, very nice quality and fit and they block a tremendous amount of heat. I live in NC and during the summer we really have to leave the sunroof covered. I give the Stratmosphere shades 2 thumbs up!

Old 08-05-2008, 05:55 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Anyone have the stratmosphere windshield sunshade? Is the velcro strap attached to one end and is it cut to the shape of the Mini's windscreen, ie a custom fit?

Old 08-05-2008, 06:44 PM
flaco
4th Gear
Leave texas...i was born there and it sucks

Old 08-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Anyone have the stratmosphere windshield sunshade? Is the velcro strap attached to one end and is it cut to the shape of the Mini's windscreen, ie a custom fit?
The velcro strap is attached to one end of the windshield sunshade, but not to the sunroof elements (correcting my earlier review). The shade is a custom fit and tucks nicely all around. I think that you will be pleased with it.

Old 08-05-2008, 08:14 PM
Arns
2nd Gear
Winshield shade

I own a 1990 Miata in addition to my MIni Clubman. FYI...The Miata windshield shade fits perfectly in the Mini windshield space. It fits around the rear view mirror and is held in place by the visors.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:45 PM
JeremyAZ
2nd Gear
Very poor sunroof design by Mini as anyone with a sunroof living in the South, Southwest or West will have to deal with the sun/heat issue. I am a sunroof person, so even though I knew the drawbacks I decided to still get my Mini with a sunroof.

Shortly after picking up the vehicle, I noticed that the sunlight and heat bothered me immensely. The mesh covering is worthless. Like others, I ordered the shades from stratmosphere and popped them in. My shades don't fit perfectly--probably because I got my Mini in the March and they didn't yet have Clubmen fitted properly.

In any case, either their solution or a cutout should do the trick. But it still doesn't let Mini off the hook. When you buy a car, your customers shouldn't be forced into figuring out solutions (sun shade, tint, graphic, toilet paper etc.).

Old 08-08-2008, 11:59 AM
daegerter
2nd Gear
houston heat is hellish! i have to park my car every day on a wide open blacktop parking lot and am seriously considering going all out and buying ever window/windshield/sunroof cover there is, just to keep the car maybe 100 F rather than 125 F. no joke!

Old 08-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Ric in Richmond
2nd Gear
You really should try the perforated vinyl wrap on the surface. It makes a HUGE difference and requires no fiddling with shades. Car is MUCH cooler and you can still watch the trees roll by as you go down the road...

The problem with the shades is you still have a little green house up there between the glass and the shade.

The vinyl wrap simply blocks most of the light and it never enters the car.

In full sun with the Mini shade rolled up mine won't even cast a shadow!!!

Call your local sign shop and simply ask them for a swath of it. Even if they install I I can't imagine it being more than $50-100.. I got mine free since I had a vehicle wrapped for advertising and have given the sales guy at the shop some good referrals.

Clean the glass and work it down evenly careful not to trap any bubbles. If you do get a bubble, just pop it with the corner of razor and smooth it down.

Enjoy.