R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 SunRoof Cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008 | 04:41 PM
peet
|
1st Gear
SunRoof Cover?

Here in Texas, even with limo tint on the inside of glass and the perforated shade pulled close, when you get in the car its a bit like ants under a magnifying glass.

Has anyone every inquired with Mini about making the pull shade in a "black out version" like most cars have? I've turned to taking the windshield sunscreen out of our old SUV and cramming it under the side visor and passenger oh-crap handle to help alleviate some of the baking.

thoughts?

Old 06-07-2008 | 04:53 PM
mom2jmg
2nd Gear
A solid vinyl roof graphic helps.

BTW if you haven't alread done so come check out http://www.metroplexmini.org/

Old 06-07-2008 | 04:56 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
How about a sun visor first, if you don't have one.
I'm considering tinting the sunroof, but haven't decided.
North Texas heat is nasty.

Old 06-07-2008 | 06:00 PM
Doogs
4th Gear
Originally Posted by DragonWagon
North Texas heat is nasty.
Pfft...try Central Texas heat! As bad as Austin's been lately, I'm still thanking my lucky stars I don't live in Houston!

If you're looking for something to mitigate the heat, pop-in sunroof covers work very well. I had a pair on my R53 and they made a noticeable difference. Haven't seen any yet, but I know the folks at Minspeed.net have been developing them for the Clubman. May want to check back and see if they've had any luck yet.

Old 06-07-2008 | 06:26 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Doogs-Houston was home before DFW.
There was no big hair in Houston...it'd fall on the way from the door to the garage. This state is a giant vapor lock.

Old 06-07-2008 | 07:11 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Somewhere.. Dont remember where.. Theres a thread that someone made a solid shade with, i think the existing hardware.

Old 06-07-2008 | 07:44 PM
Minidrivr
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Striped Toad
Somewhere.. Dont remember where.. Theres a thread that someone made a solid shade with, i think the existing hardware.
Was it this?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=106833

I've been considering removing the stock mesh and using fabric instead. If you remove the sunroof glass, the rollers come right out. I think it would be fairly simple process to either cut off the mesh or stitch some fabric to the mesh. The only thing I haven't checked is how much room is there if the fabric makes the roller thicker in diameter.

You can buy pre-cut sunshades that fit in above the mesh too.

http://www.stratmosphere.com/mini_interior.htm

Old 06-08-2008 | 01:36 PM
Calicoskies
3rd Gear
For the sunroof/under the magnifying glass/sun worry, how about either purchasing a sunshield to slide in there or adapting one to fit? This link does not have them fitted yet for the R55, but I imagine they or someone else will soon. If they don't have them when my car is here, I plan to buy a sunshield and cut/tape edges to fit. I live in NC and know full well the power of the sun.

Old 06-08-2008 | 07:55 PM
minipsych
2nd Gear
vinyl graphic

I'm looking into a vinyl graphic to cover the sunroof, in part to decrease the heat/light from the sun. Does anyone have any thoughts on this and how helpful are vinyl graphics? My MA is recommending cooper flags. I live in Arkansas, so I too know about heat and humidity!

Old 06-08-2008 | 08:38 PM
hfs3
3rd Gear
I'm going to go with a limo tint on the sunroof as an alternative to a graphic. It will definitely cool things off! With the shade rolled away, I should still be able to see outside quite well. When I pull out the otherwise useless shade there should be that little bit extra to keep me from being blinded by the sun. If that doesn't work, I guess it will be time to replace the fabric in the roller with something more opaque.

Old 06-08-2008 | 08:59 PM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
I went with limo tint on the sunroofs and it is a huge help....BUT I live in So. Cal. I'm not sure if it would be enough for Texas or Arizona. We will be taking the Clubman to Phoenix a few times this summer, so we'll see.

Old 06-09-2008 | 08:54 AM
Aluvendale
2nd Gear
Next time, don't get a sunroof!

Old 06-09-2008 | 12:27 PM
hfs3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Aluvendale
Next time, don't get a sunroof!
After owning sunroofs for years, I can't see doing without one. On beautiful days, I love to open the top fully and let the outside air in. Very liberating, even if it is windy. The night sky is nice, too! I'm not complaining about the sunroof, just learning to adapt to a less than optimal design (read: sunshade).

Old 06-09-2008 | 12:42 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by minipsych
I'm looking into a vinyl graphic to cover the sunroof, in part to decrease the heat/light from the sun. Does anyone have any thoughts on this and how helpful are vinyl graphics? My MA is recommending cooper flags. I live in Arkansas, so I too know about heat and humidity!
You might look in your local phone book for sign people, especialy the ones that do the truck lettering.

I found one local to me in Massachusetts that will print a custom graphic (from my design) and install it for 1/2 the price of what Cooper Flags wants for just the printer graphic not installed. The installer asked if i wanted to have it solid or "Pin Holed". If you have seen a city bus done up with graphics on the windows look closely and you will see that there are thousands of little holes in the vinyl that will let you see out but that will also let a little light in. The installer told me that he can get the Pin Hole vinyl in differing hole sizes so that there can be less or more light show through depending on the size of the Pin Hole chosen.

The unfortunate thing about putting the vinyl on the sunroof is that it is there and if removed that piece can not be put back on, it must be made fro a new piece of vinyl. My girlfriend actually like that fact that you can see out the sunroof in the back of the car, she calls it the moon roof because she saw the moon through it one night.

I am now in a state of what do i do? The sun bothers me and burns my balding head. The g/f wants to be able to see out. My dog hates feeling like the ant under the microscope.

So what do i do. The dog is loyal and will never leave me. The g/f, wife etc. ??? who knows what they will do. And my eyes, I like them working it, makes driving much easier and more fun. As for the top of my head, I can wear a hat.

Long story short check out a local sign company they can advise you and show you what the options are.

Schatzy

Last edited by schatzy62; 06-09-2008 at 12:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2008 | 07:06 PM
Striped Toad
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Minidrivr
Was it this?

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=106833

I've been considering removing the stock mesh and using fabric instead. If you remove the sunroof glass, the rollers come right out. I think it would be fairly simple process to either cut off the mesh or stitch some fabric to the mesh. The only thing I haven't checked is how much room is there if the fabric makes the roller thicker in diameter.

You can buy pre-cut sunshades that fit in above the mesh too.

Sorry, little late but, yup thats it! Thanks!

Old 06-10-2008 | 12:31 PM
rmadams
2nd Gear
any word on when / if stratmosphere will start carrying shades fitted for the Clubman?

Old 06-10-2008 | 12:38 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
looks like they are asking for a Clubman tester now...I told them I could swing by as I'm right down the road. If I hear anything I'll keep you posted!

Originally Posted by rmadams
any word on when / if stratmosphere will start carrying shades fitted for the Clubman?

Old 06-14-2008 | 10:18 PM
hollyross
2nd Gear
You're all making it too hard. I don't have a problem with the mesh sunscreen...but the light coming in is just distracting. So I hit my local art supply store, bought some silver mat board and cut it to fit the sunroof opening. $3.00. When we don't want to use it it sticks behind the rear seats.

Old 06-15-2008 | 09:12 AM
FlyingZ06
3rd Gear
It does say Clubman on the description.

Old 06-15-2008 | 04:45 PM
rmadams
2nd Gear
Yep- I noticed! As soon as my car is done in production, I am ordering a set! Do the front windshield shades fit the Clubman? That way I can get everything at once...

Old 06-16-2008 | 06:19 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Yep- I noticed! As soon as my car is done in production, I am ordering a set! Do the front windshield shades fit the Clubman? That way I can get everything at once...
I just ordered the sunroof and front windshield set from Stratmosphere. They are specific on the sunroof model choices and simply offer one size for the windshield.... so I am winging it in the hope that the implication is that one size fits all. I'll let you know if it fits the R56 in a few days.

My wife fell in love with the Clubman and, for the first time in the 17 years that I've known her, spontaneously stated that she wants to learn how to drive a standard shift. Uh oh

Old 06-16-2008 | 06:22 PM
Apple
6th Gear
I just ordered a new one with out the sunroof yea!

Old 06-16-2008 | 06:23 PM
jjkell
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Halifax
I just ordered the sunroof and front windshield set from Stratmosphere. They are specific on the sunroof model choices and simply offer one size for the windshield.... so I am winging it in the hope that the implication is that one size fits all. I'll let you know if it fits the R56 in a few days.

My wife fell in love with the Clubman and, for the first time in the 17 years that I've known her, spontaneously stated that she wants to learn how to drive a standard shift. Uh oh
Uh-Oh, that's scary...

Old 06-16-2008 | 06:36 PM
cWade
3rd Gear
On my previous MINI w/white roof & sun roof I went to a local sign shop and they covered the glass with white vinyl. Worked great to cool things off down here in Florida. I used the solid white but they offered the perforated material if I wanted to be able to see out. My cost was about $75.00 installed. Definitely would do it again.

Old 06-16-2008 | 06:36 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Yeah, I'll have to figure something out. I'm sure you all know the drill

Quick Reply: R55 SunRoof Cover?