R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Window Trouble Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 04:26 AM
laurel51
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hello: I found this old thread to have my exact problem. Driver window works fine, just won't stop at the top. I've tried the initialization a few times, but makes little sense because they say "put the window to the top and hold the switch 10 more seconds" - but by then the window is half way down.
Does anyone know what's wrong, from reading this whole thread it sounds like the fix is the miscellaneous guess method. I have no interest in taking it to the dealer, I worked at two of them back in the '70s, and although I got out of that business years ago, I still do my own repairs. This is our first Mini, we've only had it a month, and I'd really like to know what's wrong before I start to fix it. Can someone tell me how the motor know when to stop, or the design of the system in general. Or better yet, exactly how to fix this issue - I have used the search, but maybe using the wrong terms, I'm a little "old" for this modern communication via computer~
Thank You in Advance Rod

Old 08-21-2013, 09:52 AM
Copywrites
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are lots of threads on this window dip issue. My current theory is that the window dip problem originates with a window that is frozen shut during winter. The windows doesn't dip because it is frozen , and the lack of movement seems to confuse the software to the point where it stops working correctly.

After 3 trips to my dealer for new software, etc. I finally started pounding on the windows to break it free before opening it if I suspect it might be frozen shut. So far that preventative action seems to be doing the trick - no issues for the past two years and last winter was a particularly tough one in New England.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:41 PM
daddyandmadi
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I used the hold the window down for 10 seconds method (not up). Works ok. I was told it was to protect the motor from burning out..... Not sure who accurate it is. Has happened to me twice in first 3 months of ownership but not in past year.

Motor on. And don't forget to wave