R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 High pressure fuel pump BAD!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 05:41 PM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
High pressure fuel pump BAD!

As I wrote LAST week my car engine light came on, and was towed LAST Tuesday to the Mini/BMW service department in Annaplois. When they FINALLY got to the car there were no bad codes in the computer, and BMW told the service department to flash the computer and return to me. The service rep stated that he was not comfortable with that and instructed his Tech to check electrical systems.
I called the Service Rep on Friday and he said they still had not heard back from BMW concerning the continuing engine light after the computer was flashed. They kept the car over the weekend, and would be back with me on Monday. Monday comes and the service rep tells me late in the afternoon that they had found that the HIGH PRESSURE FUEL PUMP was bad, and that BMW had "overnighted" the part and that I should be able to get the car back Tuesday afternoon.
Tuesday afternoon I call and left a message for a return call as to the status. He returns the call - at 3:45pm, stating that the part did not arrive and that it was expected Wednesday! Additionally, he stated that I was the FIRST with this problem and that recently two more had come in with the SAME problem! The service rep stated that there seems to be a pattern and that BMW should change the part with another version - or he was hestitant to install something that appears to be defective.

I know that this message is long, I am a little upset that the dealership (service department) has now had the Clubman longer than I have!

Old 06-10-2008, 06:54 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I am sorry to read this - but thank goodness your SA persevered and kept the car!

Did they give you a loaner? I hope so.

Appreciate your taking the time to post on this and hope you'll get the call tomorrow saying that it's ready and waiting for you.

Old 06-10-2008, 07:23 PM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
I didn't get a loaner because my clubman is a third "pleasure" vehicle..I drove my gas hog - F150SC..
I really am missing the clubman, it is very fast and corners really good...it reminds me of my MG Midget back in the '70's BUT bigger!
I hope this is the only problem I have, I am a past VW Touareg (2004) "chump" owner, and was on a first name basis with the VW service bay..heck I knew a lot about my VW SA's family..how quaint!!!
I LOVE the Clubman, and to my surprise, my wife LOVES it TOO! She used to nagg me all the time about the TouRAG...which she hated...but she has offered comforting words, and "prays" nightly with me for the safe return of the Clubman!

Old 06-11-2008, 04:48 AM
Otra
6th Gear
about your close relationship to the VW SA... Often some of us do get to know our MINI SAs and MAs, too - but hopefully not due to constant fixes.

Hang in there and keep the faith - report back when you've gotten your answer!

Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 AM
iceman72
3rd Gear
This is very odd. I have a brand new 09 MCS. Last week my check engine light came on and I swear the woman said the exact same thing as your wrote down to the wording. Whats up with this? What causes these High Pressure Fuel pumps to go bad? She also told me while they were going to take it off they found that some hose was torn. Now I do not drive very much. What would cause this kinda damage on a brand new car? Should I be worried? In my 36 years and 20 some years of driving and owning all kinds of vehicles, I have never had to replace a broken fuel pump. Did I get a lemon? Mini of Towson says they should be ready for pick up on friday. I only use Shell Premium gas. No cheap stuff ever has been in this car. Please help.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:48 PM
mrdirosa
3rd Gear
The fuel pump on the new BMW 335 engine has had massive issues, I'm wondering if they are similar between the two cars?

Old 08-07-2009, 11:31 AM
ecurbmik
Neutral
Xx

Last edited by ecurbmik; 12-31-2018 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Privacy
Old 08-07-2009, 11:56 AM
not-so-rednwhitecooper
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ecurbmik
My fuel pump also burnt out (2005 Mini Cooper S )/ 41 000 km's / two week wait from germany / I'm a service manager of a garage & see all makes & models. Pumps rarley go & when they do, there @ approx 250,000 km's.
Your pump and the pump on these peoples cars are totally different. There is no relation between the failures.

I would say since direct injection is a new(er) undertaking for BMW, they haven't worked out all the bugs yet. Thats just the price you pay for new technology.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:07 PM
mshelton
1st Gear
One of the reasons that we chose the justacooper clubman...read of the problems with the high pressure fuel pump on this site as well as the other issues (cold start chatter and melting scoop, etc) with the S. Asked about this problem when we went in to make a purchase and asked to talk to a mechanic. He mentioned that replacing the High Pressure fuel pump was common issue.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:02 PM
BMW13
2nd Gear
It's so common on the BMW 335i twin turbo that BMW had to extend the warranty to 6 years and 100,000. I know because I own one and it's the same issue, direct injection, high pressure fuel pump. BMW has changed manufacturers but I don't know if it has helped the problem. There is speculation about US fuel quality being an issue but I'm no engineer. If you go on the E90post your will see vast threads on the subject.