R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Clubman Pics: Tinted Windows and Tinted Sunroofs...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clubman Pics: Tinted Windows and Tinted Sunroofs...

Last edited by Terry F.; 06-07-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:55 AM
MINIspud
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 06-28-2008, 11:18 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
I like that combo (BRG/HC) alot better with the tints. Nice car!

Old 06-28-2008, 11:37 AM
MBR
2nd Gear
Great interior!

Old 06-28-2008, 11:50 AM
Oasis
1st Gear
Looks awesome!

I've got a long way to go until mine comes in and am thinking of tinting. What percentage did you go with (sunroof/windows)?

Old 06-28-2008, 12:19 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Oasis
Looks awesome!

I've got a long way to go until mine comes in and am thinking of tinting. What percentage did you go with (sunroof/windows)?
Thanks. It is 33% on the windows, not sure about the roof other than to say it is much darker but the film is dyed only, no metals.

Terry

Old 06-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Love it!! I have been thinking of tinting my windows...but we really don't live in the hot lands...except right about now - up here in New York. I am a tint neophyte - is "metalized" tint a normal tint or does it make it sort of like those sunglasses the Bad Guy's wore in "Cool Hand Luke"?

Seriously, though, I really don't know what the difference is.

Old 06-28-2008, 03:30 PM
LarryParker
ClubRed
Terry,
The car looks great, who did the sunroof? Does Georgio know where you got it done,
Once again, best of luck with the car,

Larry

Old 06-28-2008, 06:44 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Love it!! I have been thinking of tinting my windows...but we really don't live in the hot lands...except right about now - up here in New York. I am a tint neophyte - is "metalized" tint a normal tint or does it make it sort of like those sunglasses the Bad Guy's wore in "Cool Hand Luke"?

Seriously, though, I really don't know what the difference is.
Some product use only a dye to tint the mylar. Others use a metalization process that gives the film more reflective properties which keeps out more heat. It is this metalized film that allegedly puts the sunroof at risk. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. Not all metalized film is mirrored, as you can see on my windows. The full-metalized products do look like mirrors and are illegal in most stated. That's about all I know but I've had my all of my cars tinted since the late '70's and these new metalized films are really superior to the old stuff.

Originally Posted by LarryParker
Terry,
The car looks great, who did the sunroof? Does Georgio know where you got it done,
Once again, best of luck with the car,

Larry
L, PM me for the vendor's name. It is a shop on Sample Road, near the dealership. -T

Old 06-28-2008, 08:59 PM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
I'm happy with the way wifey's came out too. The sunroof tint makes a HUGE difference too!!

Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
looks great with tint...maybe i should do it to my conv..

Old 06-29-2008, 07:49 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Originally Posted by RaceFace
I'm happy with the way wifey's came out too. The sunroof tint makes a HUGE difference too!!

Hey RaceFace, what are the tint specs on you're wife's Clubman? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Great name BTW - "RaceFace" is one of my favorite bike component manufacturers...

Old 06-30-2008, 07:29 AM
RaceFace
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bentyyc
Hey RaceFace, what are the tint specs on you're wife's Clubman? Thanks in advance!

P.S. Great name BTW - "RaceFace" is one of my favorite bike component manufacturers...
I'm not sure the specs, but we went "dark" on all the rears and sunroof (the same tint as the factory Suburban rear window tint) and "medium" on the doors. I has worked out great!

Thanks for the compliment.....RaceFace is actually a nickname I ended up with about 15 years ago....a motocross thing

Old 07-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Oasis
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Terry F.
Hi all,

There has been some discussion about tinting sunroofs to help keep heat out of the cabin. I had my car tinted yesterday and I'll use that as an excuse to post more pics.

The widows are a medium tint using metalized film and the roof uses a dark tint, no metals.

I think the smoked windows look great with the black roof.

Hard to see inside the sunroof:

Nice, dark cabin for hot Florida summers...

In this picture you can see the factory tinted windshield, the doors with the added medium tint film and the darkly tinted sunroof:

I hope these picture help people decide if they want to tint or not tint their windows and/or sunroofs.

Regards,
Terry
They look Great Do you happen to know what percentages medium and dark are? 20/30? And was there a reason you used metalized all around and not on the sunroof?

Thanks!

Old 07-11-2008, 11:46 AM
macmanjpc
1st Gear
I'm curious too about the "alleged" effect that metallized film would have on the sunroof. Inquiring minds want to know.

And what about the newer Ceramic film?

Cheers,
Jason.

Old 07-11-2008, 04:14 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Oasis
They look Great Do you happen to know what percentages medium and dark are? 20/30? And was there a reason you used metalized all around and not on the sunroof?

Thanks!
Thanks. The windows are 33% but I don't know the value of the sunroof film. There is discussion that the metalized film might/will/will not cause the roof glass to shatter. The installer said that it will, but who knows. So without sufficient information I just went on the conservative side and avoided metalized film.

Originally Posted by macmanjpc
I'm curious too about the "alleged" effect that metallized film would have on the sunroof. Inquiring minds want to know.

And what about the newer Ceramic film?

Cheers,
Jason.
Jason, I don't know anything about the ceramic film. Sorry.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:35 PM
digi0123
3rd Gear
Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 AM
spanishmack
Neutral
Hey, offtopic since it's not about the tint, but how did you get BRG with the HC interior? That combo on the website configurator isn't allowed.

I hope to be making an order for a clubman a soon as I get my driveway poured. And getting a BRG/SV w/HC interior would just be awesome.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:35 AM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by spanishmack
Hey, offtopic since it's not about the tint, but how did you get BRG with the HC interior? That combo on the website configurator isn't allowed.

I hope to be making an order for a clubman a soon as I get my driveway poured. And getting a BRG/SV w/HC interior would just be awesome.
I just ordered it that way. hehehe.

Search on my threads (I don't have many) and it is discussed on one of those. Ask me questions in that thread, that way we can stay on-topic.

Currently, it is supposed to be one of only three in the world (BRG + HC)!

Best regards,
Terry

Edit: Here's a link to one of those threads:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...d.php?t=144974
TF

Last edited by Terry F.; 07-21-2008 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:09 AM
ZippeeGear
Former Vendor
Don't tint your sunroof.....

GET READY FOR THE SUMMER....

ZippeeShade is now available for the 2008-up Mini Clubman. We have them IN-STOCK and ready to ship. Please visit our website to see photos and details of our item; http://zippeeshade.com.

If you are interested in purchasing them, we are offering a NAM Group Buy price discount of $10.00 off per/shade. Please be sure to purchase from our GROUP BUY Link to receive your NAM discount.

NAM Members click here: http://zippeegear.com/nam

Old 02-22-2011, 08:15 AM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Tint your sunroof

Much more convenient, the tint is always on. Plus, no unsightly logo to look at. If these shades were sans logo, I would be a lot more interested. They would be good for extended periods of parking but I think they would be a hassle to install/remove when needed.

Still, though, it is good to have options.

Terry

Old 03-08-2011, 12:33 PM
bassmania
Neutral
Roof tint

I had my windows tinted today and wanted my roof tinted. The guy who did my tint said that he was told that any tint on the sunroof can potentially cause the glass to crack, even non metal. Has anyone heard this before??

Old 03-14-2011, 11:24 AM
romille
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bassmania
I had my windows tinted today and wanted my roof tinted. The guy who did my tint said that he was told that any tint on the sunroof can potentially cause the glass to crack, even non metal. Has anyone heard this before??
I have heard other forum posts about this. One even had a photo of a shattered sunroof. Apparently tinting the sunroof can cause heat to be trapped in some instances, but I don't know the specifics of what is safe tint versus unsafe. In some cases it could just be that the glass is very hot because of the dark tint, and then it is hit by rain or something and the sudden temperature change causes it to shatter. However, it seems there are plenty of instances with shattering sunroofs that weren't tinted. And there were also many reports on those threads of people that have had no issues, as well as people that advocate the tinting simply because if the glass does shatter (for any reason) the glass will stay together rather than flying all over the car.

Last edited by romille; 03-14-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:28 AM
romille
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bassmania

Here, found the threads for you... although the person with the pic of the shattered sunroof says it wasn't tinted.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-climates.html

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post2128190

Old 03-15-2011, 08:55 AM
ZippeeGear
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by romille
I have heard other forum posts about this. One even had a photo of a shattered sunroof. Apparently tinting the sunroof can cause heat to be trapped in some instances, but I don't know the specifics of what is safe tint versus unsafe. In some cases it could just be that the glass is very hot because of the dark tint, and then it is hit by rain or something and the sudden temperature change causes it to shatter. However, it seems there are plenty of instances with shattering sunroofs that weren't tinted. And there were also many reports on those threads of people that have had no issues, as well as people that advocate the tinting simply because if the glass does shatter (for any reason) the glass will stay together rather than flying all over the car.
I've seen a few shattered sunroof's due to tint on the sunroof and the Las Vegas sun. From what I was told, the temperature difference between the tint's heat reduction vs the temperature rating from the glass, is enough to cause it to shatter.