R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Why no Comfort w/ Wood Wheel for Clubman?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2008, 11:04 AM
Ambidexter
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why no Comfort w/ Wood Wheel for Clubman?

Hi Folks,

My MA tells me the Clubman I have on order can't be ordered with the wood wheel, because "The wood wheel is not available with the convenience package".

On the configurator, it tells me I can't get the wood unless I "remove comfort bluetooth with USB iPod adapter".

The only reason I can understand this might be that they put the USB antenna in the wheel somewhere, and the wood may be mounted with metal that interferes with the bluetooth. Does anyone with a wood wheel have the comfort bluetooth / iPod setup?

So, I guess I'll forgo this for now, but if I ever get my grubby hands on a wood wheel - like ordering from the parts department, I'll see if it works. It has the same 10 buttons and such, but I don't know if the connector's the same.

Cheers

Old 07-01-2008, 11:19 AM
Prost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Ambidexter
Hi Folks,

My MA tells me the Clubman I have on order can't be ordered with the wood wheel, because "The wood wheel is not available with the convenience package".

On the configurator, it tells me I can't get the wood unless I "remove comfort bluetooth with USB iPod adapter".

The only reason I can understand this might be that they put the USB antenna in the wheel somewhere, and the wood may be mounted with metal that interferes with the bluetooth. Does anyone with a wood wheel have the comfort bluetooth / iPod setup?

So, I guess I'll forgo this for now, but if I ever get my grubby hands on a wood wheel - like ordering from the parts department, I'll see if it works. It has the same 10 buttons and such, but I don't know if the connector's the same.

Cheers
I install my wood steering wheel and bluetooth and cruise control is working for me (MFSW). I don't see why you cannot get it with that

Old 07-01-2008, 12:11 PM
Ambidexter
2nd Gear
Interesting...

Is that the JCW wheel, or the one you can select from the configurator if you don't have the conv pkg?

Do you have the conv pkg, with comfort bluetooth and iPod adapter? Is that with your current MINI or with the Clubman you have on order?

If you got this as a separate part with an existing comfort bluetooth/iPod arrangement, what's the part #, and how much was the part? Did you have to move the airbags? Did you do it yourself?

If it's an aftermarket thing, I may have a multi-function leather steering wheel for sale, stand by!

Old 07-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Prost
4th Gear
Interesting...

Is that the JCW wheel, or the one you can select from the configurator if you don't have the conv pkg?

Do you have the conv pkg, with comfort bluetooth and iPod adapter? Is that with your current MINI or with the Clubman you have on order?

If you got this as a separate part with an existing comfort bluetooth/iPod arrangement, what's the part #, and how much was the part? Did you have to move the airbags? Did you do it yourself?

If it's an aftermarket thing, I may have a multi-function leather steering wheel for sale, stand by!
I got the wooden wheel from a NAMer and install it by my friend that has a mechanic shop. I do have the conv. package with comfort bluetooth/iPod with my car.

Old 07-07-2008, 09:55 PM
Ambidexter
2nd Gear
So anyone want to buy a leather mult-function for R55?

Hi,

OK, well, then I asked my MA to get me the same thing from the factory. He didn't seem to think it would be a problem...until the configurator gave him the same static as it gave the rest of us...can't do it with Conv. pkg iPod / Bluetooth. My order then went into production this week, rendering any disucssion about options I could add to the order, moot. THe order is now the order.

So, he asked if I wanted to order the part and have their service department install it. THe part seems to be over $750. And the labor would probably be 3 hours or so. So, we'd probably be talking over $1,000. Now, I'm not clear if the part in question is the shifter and e-brake parts too. I might just get that and do it myself...or locally. Seeing as how you've been lucky to get it to work!

If I'm left with a leather multi-function wheel with 10-100 miles on it, I'd sell it. This part from the parts department is about $560 I'm told. So, I'd sell my multi function for, say, ~$500 incuding shipping in the CONUS to someone who wants the multifunction wheel in leather...

...any takers?

Cheers

Old 07-08-2008, 08:43 PM
Ambidexter
2nd Gear
Do you use voice command, or have NAV?

Hi,

On a related post, someone speculated that the reason the factory wouldn't allow the wood MFSW w/ conv. pkg is if you had NAV...or maybe if you used voice command.

Do you have the factory, in-dash NAV or do you use voice command of radio, phone or ipod?

But, that still doesn't make sense to me. The microphone is up near the headliner, I've been told, not in the wheel. That would make no sense, as the wheel moved and you move your hands around it, it would make noise in any attached mic. And what about the leather wheel...if that has the mic, then why not the wood?

The only other reason would be that there was a programatic difference between the two wheels. One that was not a problem with no NAV. Maybe a setting of the DSC or SPORT button, which causes changes in the steering characteristics are affected by wood...maybe different parameters are needed to be entered into the computer. But the NAV may take up the last buss connection?

Then again, the wheels are the same, as far as I can tell. They have the same 10 buttons. And if my MA thinks he can swap them, they must have the same cable harness and connectors...right?

I'll bet the only way to tell for sure is to get them to install it and see if the nav and BT/iPod works! I'd probably be more inclined to do it if the MA assured me the package added the wood shifter and e-brake wood handle.

BTW, the MA says $750 for the part(s) and about 3 hours labor. That's around $1,000. Is that what you spent to install the thing(s) in yours?

Stay tuned...if all goes well, I'll have a leather MFSW to sell soon!

Cheers

Originally Posted by Prost
I got the wooden wheel from a NAMer and install it by my friend that has a mechanic shop. I do have the conv. package with comfort bluetooth/iPod with my car.

Old 07-09-2008, 06:40 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

BTW, the MA says $750 for the part(s) and about 3 hours labor. That's around $1,000. Is that what you spent to install the thing(s) in yours?

Stay tuned...if all goes well, I'll have a leather MFSW to sell soon!

Cheers
Part price sounds high but may be right but three hours to change the steering wheel that is just hi-way robbery.

I had my steering wheel changed out a week after picking up the car to a colored leather wheel. The car was in the service department for less than an hour and they changed the steering wheel, shift **** and e-brake handle, did all the paperwork, that included the service advisor speaking with me about what was going to be done and my signing of the paper work, so the actual total time the tech had it was maybe 45 minutes. So I would say 1/2 hour max to do the steering wheel change.

Old 07-10-2008, 06:35 AM
joebeenimble
2nd Gear
NOOOO!!!!! Listen to your WISE dealer

My dealer was not as knowledgeable as your's and guess where my MINI has been for the last two weeks?!?!?! ...in their shop where they are trying to get the VR and Nav to work - yes, I have a wooden MFSW.

It is insane to me that MINI built my car knowing that the NAV/VR would not work.

Old 07-10-2008, 07:58 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by joebeenimble
My dealer was not as knowledgeable as your's and guess where my MINI has been for the last two weeks?!?!?! ...in their shop where they are trying to get the VR and Nav to work - yes, I have a wooden MFSW.

It is insane to me that MINI built my car knowing that the NAV/VR would not work.
I seriously doubt that the wood wheel is causing the problem, unless it has something to do with a ground wire problem.

The control panel is one complete piece that just sits on the wheel and will work the same way for any steering wheel that put there.

Has the dealer tried putting another steering wheel in place of the wood one to get it to work.?

The only reason i can see of not allowing the wood wheel with the MFSW controls is for safety in that the cutouts would cause a lack of strength in the cross bar of the steering wheel.

Old 03-29-2010, 04:37 AM
rlw
3rd Gear
The wood wheel IS nice, but not $1,000 worth of nice! And, I must say (Ed Grimley mode), that the stock steering wheel is a real winner. It's just the right diameter, thickness, and has a very nice feel in the hand. In fact, it's one of the best wheels I've ever used on ANY car - kudos to BMW for getting this part spot-on!