R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 airbag warning light

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 06:44 PM
anima
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
airbag warning light

Anyone else having problems with the airbag warning light coming on. It's happened to me several times and the car has spent a total of about 2 weeks in the shop for it with no definitive answer yet.

Jeff

Old 07-07-2008, 07:03 PM
LarryParker
ClubRed
I had that problem with my last MCS, the light stayed on 6 months, then they replaced tha airbag sensor , and all was good.

Good luck,
Larry

Old 07-08-2008, 01:51 PM
anima
1st Gear
the saga continues........
the dealership has now had my clubbie for a week agian now, they called today and said that they replaced the parts (right front airbag) started up the car and the light was still on. At this point the tech has no idea what the problem is and has "put a call in". the Service rep says that they are going to have to trace out all the wiring. It's frustrating and very disappointing... I've had my car for a totoal of 20 weeks, 2 of which it has spent back in the shop - so that's 1/10th of the time I've had it. No one else having this problem?

Jeff

Old 07-08-2008, 02:33 PM
scatmanjack
1st Gear
I've had my Clubman for a month and had about 3 occasions of passenger airbag light 'malfunctions'. Once, my wife was sitting in the passenger seat and the light stayed on. Turned car off and restarted and same problem... Next day everything was fine. Another time I was carrying groceries in the seat and the light DIDN'T come on as it should (i.e. enough mass in the seat to be a child passenger in the seat but not an adult...) I'm drawing a blank right now on other occasions but there has been at least one other time it acted up... I'm making an appointment to get it looked at (along with a couple other small items) in the next few weeks. Still love driving my Clubman though...

Paul

Old 08-25-2008, 09:32 AM
nclin
2nd Gear
I have a airbag warning light on and the seatbelt warning light on. I took my clubbie to this dealer this weekend. The diagnostic showed a defective airbag sensor. The dealer told me they have to keep the car and get the part from Germany. I started to argue against them keeping the car, but my sister, who is a brilliant scientist, and used to work in reliability for a company that made airbag sensors, told me that when the sensor is bad, not only will your airbags likely not deploy in an accident, but your airbags can deploy while you are motoring along! She said the company had a lawsuit from a family in Europe because the woman driving was killed as a result of the airbag being deployed. Needless to say I left the car and will wait for the new sensor to arrive, unhappily driving my loaner Chevy Equinox!

Old 08-25-2008, 10:09 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nclin
I have a airbag warning light on and the seatbelt warning light on. I took my clubbie to this dealer this weekend. The diagnostic showed a defective airbag sensor. The dealer told me they have to keep the car and get the part from Germany. I started to argue against them keeping the car, but my sister, who is a brilliant scientist, and used to work in reliability for a company that made airbag sensors, told me that when the sensor is bad, not only will your airbags likely not deploy in an accident, but your airbags can deploy while you are motoring along! She said the company had a lawsuit from a family in Europe because the woman driving was killed as a result of the airbag being deployed. Needless to say I left the car and will wait for the new sensor to arrive, unhappily driving my loaner Chevy Equinox!
sounds like the same problem I had a few weeks ago ... I was in the shop for 16 days. They tried replacing the passanger seat mat twice and then realized it was the Airbag Sensor Module ... same story ... could not release the car until the part arrived from "somewhere" ... anyway, all is good now and fixed.

If you are getting the airbag light + seatbelt light + the passanger airbag light OFF ... airbag sensor is fried

Old 08-26-2008, 04:50 AM
nclin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
If you are getting the airbag light + seatbelt light + the passanger airbag light OFF ... airbag sensor is fried
My passenger airbag light does not show as OFF but I do have the other two lights. 16 days without your MINI - Ouch! I hope mine doesn't take that long, I'll need therapy! Right now I'm driving a Chevy Equinox they rented for me. No fun at all!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:01 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Luckily they gave me a new S Coupe ... a Chevy Equinox would have made me bonkers.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:15 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by nclin
Right now I'm driving a Chevy Equinox they rented for me. No fun at all!
That STINKS!!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 08:34 AM
k6rtm
4th Gear
Another possible culprit is the seat position sensor, which tells the computer how close to the front the seats are, which it uses to decide whether to deploy the airbags at stage 1 or stage 2 velocity. I'm waiting for a replacement sensor for my MCSa.

Old 08-27-2008, 05:15 AM
nclin
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
Luckily they gave me a new S Coupe ... a Chevy Equinox would have made me bonkers.
Oh, thanks for the piece of information, just to make me feel even worse in my rather plain and boring Chevy.