R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Standard grey or anthracite headliner

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2008, 12:13 PM
Countryclubber
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Standard grey or anthracite headliner

I can't decide if I want to tell my dealer just to stay with standard grey or go with the anthracite headliner. I have piano black interior with the standard leatherette. Does anyone have some comparison pictures?

Old 07-19-2008, 12:15 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Searching "anthracite" under topic titles in Clubman subsection will yield this:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ght=anthracite

It depends what you're after. It darkens up the cabin but it seems sportier. So if you don't mind a darker looking interior it's fine.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:35 PM
Tu13es
5th Gear
My current car has an all black interior with black leather seats. After reading about the anthracite headliner, I noticed my car has a gray headliner. Now I can't stand it.

IMO, if you care about how your interior will look, go with the anthracite headliner, IMHO.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:42 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
I have the gray. I like the anthracite better.

However, I would rather spend that money on other, more important (to me) options. I had a very limited budget for this car.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Apple
6th Gear
I love the gray balck would be to dark for me...

Old 07-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Otra
6th Gear
I have the gray headliner, piano black and the black leatherette - it is not all grey the way it looks in the configurator and I think it's just fine. I don't think any of the shots in my gallery show the headliner...take a look. Honestly, when you're driving you're not going to be looking at the headliner.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:30 PM
richs10
5th Gear
I have the black cloth, piano black trimline, dash chrome and the cream color trim on my PW MCC. I forgot to order the anthracite headliner and production started before I realized it, so I have the standard grey.

In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't order the anthracite since I think it would have been too dark for the interior. The gray lightens it up a bit and I really like it. Im thinking of adding the Urban floormats with the cream pinstripes but I would like to see them up close. My dealer didn't have any in stock.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:33 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
I have the black cloth, piano black trimline, dash chrome and the cream color trim on my PW MCC. I forgot to order the anthracite headliner and production started before I realized it, so I have the standard grey.

In retrospect, I'm glad I didn't order the anthracite since I think it would have been too dark for the interior. The gray lightens it up a bit and I really like it. Im thinking of adding the Urban floormats with the cream pinstripes but I would like to see them up close. My dealer didn't have any in stock.
Aren't your A pillars light gray though, because mine are almost black. That makes a big difference too.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:56 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Yes. A, B and C pillars are light grey. Same as the headliner. I was worried about this while the car was on order, but it matches just fine.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:18 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
The standard gray is closer to white. It's not dark.

The Anthracite package is far darker.
If you have short people with dirty fingers, the stock liner may get dirty.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:43 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear
I have the anthracite and really like it. I sought out cars on the local MINI lot to find a "live" car I could use as an example. When I saw it I knew immediately I wanted it. It looks good with my piano black and Pacific blue interior. I also have the sun roof so that lightens the interior considerably.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:52 PM
Flygirl
1st Gear
We have the anthracite and it lookes awesome! Also have the sun roof, so it is no problem with the interior being too dark.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Peaches611
4th Gear
At the advice of my MA, I test drove MINIs with and without the anthracite headliner. There were really only two options that he highly encouraged me to go for, given my particular needs---the rear fogs and the anthracite. The rear fogs were a no-brainer for $100, but I needed to see the anthracite for myself.

I loved the look of the anthracite and how it seemed to tie everything together--I have the Redwood lounge leather seats. I don't have a sunroof and don't find it too dark at all. I am very glad I spent the extra money for the anthracite.

FWIW, I had a loaner a few days ago from the dealer (my tint and clearbra needed touching up) and it didn't have the anthracite. I was not amused.

Old 07-19-2008, 07:13 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Peaches611
FWIW, I had a loaner a few days ago from the dealer (my tint and clearbra needed touching up) and it didn't have the anthracite. I was not amused.
Same here, it felt cheaper, like I was driving a Civic.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:57 PM
otterdad
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by accordselux
Same here, it felt cheaper, like I was driving a Civic.
HEY! Up until a week ago I drove a Civic.

Old 07-20-2008, 05:24 AM
richs10
5th Gear
FWIW, here are some pics of the standard grey headliner with the fabric sport seats, and the chrome/piano black/cream trimline.

Does the color of the upper center console change to black with the anthricite header?

Name:  IMG_0889.jpg
Views: 2599
Size:  59.5 KB

Name:  IMG_0891.jpg
Views: 907
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  IMG_0892.jpg
Views: 750
Size:  51.2 KB

Name:  IMG_0893.jpg
Views: 3115
Size:  99.8 KB

Old 07-20-2008, 06:40 AM
hfs3
3rd Gear
In my dark silver Clubman I went with the leatherette, standard gray headliner, and Gotham Gray interior (pics in my gallery). The combination looks coherent, as they match very well. The net effect is a more open feeling to the interior - roomier. The colors photograph much whiter than they are in real live, just as the the Dark Silver is darker in person than on the configurator.

If you plan on going with the standard interiror (or dark gray), it would look better with the anthracite headliner. If you favor the Gotham Gray, definitely keep the standard headliner.

Old 07-20-2008, 07:46 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richs10

Ditto for me

Old 07-20-2008, 09:58 AM
accordselux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by otterdad
HEY! Up until a week ago I drove a Civic.
Hey! Up until a month ago I was driving an Accord.

The lighter gray panels and roof just seemed so cheap. Like the Civic I test drove had a black interior but still had gray pillars and headliner. And so did the Scion.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:12 AM
Countryclubber
1st Gear
richs10 - Thanks for all those pictures. How do you like the cloth seats? I am thinking about switching to cloth too but am not sure. I typically don't like that leather or leather type seats get hotter than cloth. There are so many decisions to make!! But, that's what I like about Mini coopers.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:54 AM
jdlnmia
1st Gear
Everything that is gray from the pillars up is black/anthracite with the anthracite headliner option. So, even the upper console, upper handles, sun visors, side visor, etc are black. I have it in my Rooster Red cloth/leather, Piano Black & chrome interior and it looks amazing. Everyone comments about how stylish it is.

It is the one thing I knew I wanted after having had M3's for a while as they all come with anthracite headliners.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:03 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Countryclubber
richs10 - Thanks for all those pictures. How do you like the cloth seats? I am thinking about switching to cloth too but am not sure. I typically don't like that leather or leather type seats get hotter than cloth. There are so many decisions to make!! But, that's what I like about Mini coopers.
I have always had leather in my cars for years, but I intentionally wanted to keep the cost down a bit on this car. Also, I did not like the pictures I saw here where it looks like the leather stretches out on the front seats after a little use. Plus I liked the subtle checkerboard pattern in the fabric seat.
I also knew that if I had the leather, I would want the heated seats, but I really wasn't interested in the balance of the items in the Cold Weather Package, so I passed.

The fabric sports seats are very comfortable and breath very well. No sweaty bum, no regrets!

Old 07-20-2008, 04:16 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
To some the headliner is VERY important, just like I HAD to have the MFSteering wheel.

RICHS10, those are great pics!

Old 03-18-2009, 05:25 PM
bobsax
2nd Gear
I bought mine off the lot with the black/anthracite headliner.
I think it's making the car retain heat. I've never had a car get so hot inside this time of year.
My Mini's oxygen blue with a white roof (no sunroof) and it isn't hot on the outside but baking on the inside!
My black Tracker with a white roof isn't nearly as hot in the same weather and it does get hot to touch (the black part)

Old 03-18-2009, 06:28 PM
towtruckted
1st Gear
I have the anthracite with black lounge leather, cream line and piano black trim. No complaints and I think it looks well coordinated.

towtruck

Quick Reply: R55 Standard grey or anthracite headliner