R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 driver side seat belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008 | 03:54 PM
Dead Ringer
|
4th Gear
driver side seat belt

am I the only one that is having issues with the driver side seat belt? When I get in and try to buckle, its pretty far behind me (there is no connection that holds it onto the seat, as you all know). So I have to really reach down and behind me to grab the buckle. The other problem I encounter is that the buckle doesn't retract all the way, and then gets caught between the seat and the door, which means I need to open the door to let it retract all the way back behind the seat. Hopefully this explanation makes sense..
Its getting annoying, any solutions?

Old 07-30-2008 | 04:08 PM
dskillz11
Neutral
Old 07-30-2008 | 06:10 PM
richs10
5th Gear
At first I had a problem with the buckle falling down and getting caught between the seat and the door. Then I figured out what that little plastic band on the belt is for. If you move that band up to the buckle after you fasten the belt, when you take the belt off, it will retract, and the little plastic band will prevent the buckle from falling down.

Since I have been doing this, I have had no further problems. Most of the time, the buckle actually rests up at the top of the pillar where the belt feeds into the pillar.

Very smart, these Englishmen...errr, Germans!
(Who won that war, anyway????)

Old 07-30-2008 | 06:29 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
All my cars, american, german, japanese, even korean have had this "little plastic band" for more than 20 years. It's not a new thing. Infact my 1982 VW Rabbit had them from the factory. That was 26 years ago.

Old 07-30-2008 | 06:36 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Well, Schatzy, it really serves a purpose on the MINI. I guess because the cabin is so tight, the seatbelt can really jam up between the door and the seat. Using it really cured that problem for me.

Old 07-30-2008 | 06:51 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by schatzy62
All my cars, american, german, japanese, even korean have had this "little plastic band" for more than 20 years. It's not a new thing. Infact my 1982 VW Rabbit had them from the factory. That was 26 years ago.
I guess what i implied was not taken in. It solved the problem on all of the cars that i was speaking about above. This has been a problem with shoulder belts from the start on many cars and most if not all manufacturers have been putting that "little plastic band" on the seat belts for years just to solve the problem of the buckle falling down.

Old 07-30-2008 | 07:00 PM
richs10
5th Gear
I guess what i implied was not taken in. It solved the problem on all of the cars that i was speaking about above. This has been a problem with shoulder belts from the start on many cars and most if not all manufacturers have been putting that "little plastic band" on the seat belts for years just to solve the problem of the buckle falling down.

gotcha. It's just I don't remember being that aware of the plastic band on my other cars before the MINI.

Old 07-30-2008 | 11:22 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I've read others having all types of problems with their MINIS but I used to have the very same problem you had Deadringer. Then one of the posters brought up the seat belt memory band and it completely solved my problem. I really hated it when the belt was wedged between the door and the seat. But now, problem simply solved.

Old 07-31-2008 | 04:33 AM
Calicoskies
3rd Gear
I'm having a battle of wills with my Mini and the seatbelt. I don't mind wearing it, its just that it rides up on my neck and isn't comfortable. Right now, I have a big binder clip that I clip up there after I pull out some extra belt. I do agree that the belt is hard to reach and find. On short trips around the home, I don't wear it (no need to chastise, I get enough from dh and 3 sons.) So now, its like a battle of wills with me and the chime. I'm gonna teach that car that its not the boss of me. Its like Cesar, the dog whisperer. I just need to put my car in a calm submissive state

Old 07-31-2008 | 06:25 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by dskillz11
These would probably help out the "rides up on my neck and isn't comfortable" situation as they actually hold the belt out from the seat a little .

Old 07-31-2008 | 07:39 AM
Apple
6th Gear
that thing looks crappy, not in my mini

Old 07-31-2008 | 07:47 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Cybergypsy
that thing looks crappy, not in my mini
It does look crappy. It reminds me of this.

Old 07-31-2008 | 09:23 AM
trbasil
2nd Gear
These would probably help out the "rides up on my neck and isn't comfortable" situation as they actually hold the belt out from the seat a little .
This is from out motoring

"NOTICE: We have determined that after having too many of these parts returned that they are simply not living up to their claim so we have stopped selling them. They seem to be a good product made by MINI but over time we had too many customers break them under normal conditions. We recommend NOT purchasing them from ANY source as they are all the same. "

as seen HERE

just some food for thought before buying them

Old 07-31-2008 | 09:38 AM
hfs3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
At first I had a problem with the buckle falling down and getting caught between the seat and the door. Then I figured out what that little plastic band on the belt is for. If you move that band up to the buckle after you fasten the belt, when you take the belt off, it will retract, and the little plastic band will prevent the buckle from falling down.

Since I have been doing this, I have had no further problems. Most of the time, the buckle actually rests up at the top of the pillar where the belt feeds into the pillar.

Bingo! That's the ticket...

Old 08-20-2008 | 11:28 PM
F12
Neutral
At first I had a problem with the buckle falling down and getting caught between the seat and the door. Then I figured out what that little plastic band on the belt is for.
Same here. Struggled with the belt the first two days, moved the band all the way up and have never had to fish for the belt again. Doesn't ever get stuck anymore.

Old 08-28-2008 | 05:45 PM
Evanskarma
2nd Gear

d*#n, that really works. That seat belt issue has been bothering me since I bought the car two weeks ago. I almost ordered those stupid strap things. Good call. Many Thanks.

MCm, SS/SS, premium, sport seats, gotham grey, MFW/bluetooth

Old 08-28-2008 | 06:13 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Of all the neat little gadgets, goodies, and contraptions, that simple little plastic thingamabob was my favorite for a few days. I no longer curse at the seat belt as I struggle to un-wedge it.

And...people I am talking to on phone no longer hear the bing-bong of the seat-belt alarm over the bluetooth.

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:21 PM
bahollings
3rd Gear
richs10: thanks so much, it really works!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-28-2008 | 09:46 PM
davidbod
1st Gear
Took me about 3 weeks to figure that one out. I finally started looking at the problem closer when I noticed the trim on the door was being dented and scratched by the buckle when it was being jammed between the seat and door. Saw that little plastic clip and thought hmm... whats that for... d'oh.

Old 08-29-2008 | 05:02 AM
richs10
5th Gear
I think each of us should make a special call to our MA's and tell them to make sure they add this trick to their "new owner delivery demonstration" every time they deliver a new car.

So simple, but so easy to miss! And that jammed seat belt is so aggravating until you figure this out!