R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Test Drove a Cooper Works Clubman

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 06:14 PM
moclubman
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Test Drove a Cooper Works Clubman

So I stopped by my dealer today to discuss some last minute accessories for my Clubman S arriving in a couple of weeks. When I pulled into the lot I saw two very red cars with black stripes. Wouldn't you know it one was an '09 Cooper Works Mini and the other an '09 Cooper Works Clubman. I quickly demanded keys and took the Clubman for a test drive.

The first thing I noticed was the exhaust. It sound throaty and burbly, even at idle. It barks when you downshift and will pop occasionally. I think it will need to be one of the first mods I do when it becomes available. I took it for about ten minutes and ran it it up to red line and about 60 mph. As expected the engine pulls hard at about 4 grand and does not let up until redline. It also stops great as well. It did have a loud rattle from the dash that eventually went away. I assume it was the dash. For all I know, it could have been coming from the engine.

I will say that it does have pronounced torque steer when nailing it at speed, say a 3-2 downshift. I triggered the traction control several times taking corners. I really like the alcantra steering wheel as well, but I don't think I would spend the money to upgrade unless I got a great deal.

Anyhow, I think the engine and brakes may be worth an extra $2 grand, but not the $4 grand I think they are asking. I would also note that except for a different wheel and shifter **** (barely noticable), the cabin is extremely bare for a $30k automobile.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:11 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by moclubman
'09 Cooper Works Clubman. I quickly demanded keys and took the Clubman for a test drive.

I took it for about ten minutes and ran it it up to red line....

I triggered the traction control several times taking corners.
I'm sorry, this is so uncool. Nothing like thrashing someone else's brand new car, huh? Will you do this to your car on the way home from delivery? Would you like someone else to do this to your car with near zero miles?

Regards,
Terry

Old 08-01-2008, 07:28 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Terry F.
I'm sorry, this is so uncool. Nothing like thrashing someone else's brand new car, huh? Will you do this to your car on the way home from delivery? Would you like someone else to do this to your car with near zero miles?

Regards,
Terry
Are you for real? What do you do on a test drive, go 30 mph and just pretend? This car is not sold. You can drive it as you wish. I asked my MA if I was going too hard when I test drove and he said no, floor it.

You can't possibly be serious can you?

And yes, I drove the freaking doors off my car on the way home. You know what? It still works.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:38 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear

Regards,
Terry
JCWs are built to be thrashed. I've been thrashing mine for the past 40k miles (it has a total of 60k on it) and the driveline is as sound as day one. The electronics and electrical systems are a different issue.....

Old 08-01-2008, 07:41 PM
moclubman
2nd Gear

Regards,
Terry
I never said it was someone's car. That's your assumption. The fact that they gave me the keys for a demo ride should lead you to believe that it was a demo. This is a sports car, or presents itself to be as such. Therefore, it's within my rights to see how sporty it is, particularly when compared to a standard Clubman S, over which it commands a hefty premium.

Besides, I never said I thrashed it. I said I hit redline and cornered aggressively enough to trip the electronic nannies. Suspension doesn't need to be broken in. I didn't nail the brakes from 60 mph, nor did I do burnouts or drag it. All I did was drive it as the designers intended.

Who would pay $32k for a sports car if they were never aware of what it was, or was not, capable of.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:58 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
Are you for real? What do you do on a test drive, go 30 mph and just pretend? This car is not sold. You can drive it as you wish. I asked my MA if I was going too hard when I test drove and he said no, floor it.

You can't possibly be serious can you?

And yes, I drove the freaking doors off my car on the way home. You know what? It still works.
You missed the point completely.

I never said it was someone's car. That's your assumption. The fact that they gave me the keys for a demo ride should lead you to believe that it was a demo. This is a sports car, or presents itself to be as such. Therefore, it's within my rights to see how sporty it is, particularly when compared to a standard Clubman S, over which it commands a hefty premium.

Besides, I never said I thrashed it. I said I hit redline and cornered aggressively enough to trip the electronic nannies. Suspension doesn't need to be broken in. I didn't nail the brakes from 60 mph, nor did I do burnouts or drag it. All I did was drive it as the designers intended.

Who would pay $32k for a sports car if they were never aware of what it was, or was not, capable of.
You missed the point too. It doesn't matter whether it is sold or not. You know it will sell almost instantly, by the way. Since you defended your driving practices I'll ask again: Would you want someone to do that to your incoming car before you took delivery? I wouldn't, so I don't. I can tell everything I need to know without the need for traction control or to redline the engine.

By the way, our cars aren't sport cars, not even the JCW. They are front wheel drive and seat four.

Regards,
Terry

Old 08-01-2008, 08:03 PM
wampa
3rd Gear

You missed the point too. It doesn't matter whether it is sold or not. You know it will sell almost instantly, by the way. Since you defended your driving practices I'll ask again: Would you want someone to do that to your incoming car before you took delivery? I wouldn't, so I don't. I can tell everything I need to know without the need for traction control or to redline the engine.

By the way, our cars aren't sport cars, not even the JCW. They are front wheel drive and seat four.

Regards,
Terry

OMG, you ARE for real. :ifoundayeti:

Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 PM
Terry F.
3rd Gear
Make no mistake, I'm for real.

I've stated my point and stand by my point. If anyone differs, that's their right. I'm not interested in a pissing contest though, so if you're OK with those actions, I'm good too.

Regards,
Terry

Old 08-01-2008, 08:13 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
Make no mistake, I'm for real.

I've stated my point and stand by my point. If anyone differs, that's their right. I'm not interested in a pissing contest though, so if you're OK with those actions, I'm good too.

Regards,
Terry
:Sidehug:

Old 08-01-2008, 08:20 PM
moclubman
2nd Gear
I would not want someone to drive my new car in the same manner, but mine is not a demo, it's a custom ordered untitled car scheduled for delivery so no one should even be near it. Anyone buying a demo with several hundred (or thousand) miles on it should very well know that it was most likely driven aggressively. That's a demo's purpose. You said yourself that your dealer told you to nail it during your test drive.

You would be hard pressed to find a MA or sales manager that doesn't push his daily loaner hard to and from work. And to your point, any car that can out handle most anything short of an M3 and scoot to 60 mph in under 6.5 seconds is a sports car, regardless of how many seats it has. I would not put a JCW Clubman in the same category as an Accord.

I think we get your point, we just don't see your logic, but thats cool, we can agree to disagree.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:52 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
So, it's not like Moclubman went Starsky and Hutch on the JCW.

Old 08-02-2008, 04:28 AM
zug4zig
2nd Gear
Please be advised that, according to Road and Track, an Accord Coupe EX-L, tested 11-07 with the V-6 does 0-60 in 5.9 seconds. Should it be classified as a sports car? If you go down the list on their Road Test summary, there are numerous cars that will eat the Mini, JCW or not in a 0-60 run at a way less cost. Am I buying a 2009 Clubman, hell yeah but with a lot less attitude than some of the other owners have voiced.

Last edited by zug4zig; 08-02-2008 at 08:37 AM. Reason: mispelled
Old 08-02-2008, 07:50 AM
wearlaz
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to Geico, my 2008 Clubman S (on the Integrity on the way to US now as I type) is officially a STATION WAGON!!!! Financially, I'm not complaining!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:24 AM
Tu13es
5th Gear
Since they're matching JCW's with the CR/B, I'm guessing they're the launch JCWs sent by MINI for demo only. My dealer got them and said that they would not be sold, even despite the insane demand for them.

And yeah, I wouldn't want someone tearing around in my car, but I custom ordered it. If I was buying used or demo, I'd have to assume it was run pretty hard.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:34 AM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Would you want someone to do that to your incoming car before you took delivery?
I wouldn't give a crap, since I am going to be doing it the same damn thing anyways. When someone takes one of my sports cars out, I don't care since I know I would drive it the same way. Its not like the car can "feel" its me and nothing is going to happen to it. If something happens it happens whether I am driving it or someone else. Do you really think the engine is going to be bad after he/she drove the car

Last edited by Dead Ringer; 08-02-2008 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:55 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dead Ringer
I wouldn't give a crap, since I am going to be doing it the same damn thing anyways. When someone takes one of my sports cars out, I don't care since I know I would drive it the same way. Its not like the car can "feel" its me and nothing is going to happen to it. If something happens it happens whether I am driving it or someone else, then its going to happen. Do you really think the engine is going to be bad after he drove the car
x2

I'm averaging 23.5 mpg btw.

Old 08-02-2008, 10:27 AM
mr. jim
4th Gear
I would not want someone to drive my new car in the same manner, but mine is not a demo, it's a custom ordered untitled car scheduled for delivery so no one should even be near it. Anyone buying a demo with several hundred (or thousand) miles on it should very well know that it was most likely driven aggressively. That's a demo's purpose. You said yourself that your dealer told you to nail it during your test drive.

You would be hard pressed to find a MA or sales manager that doesn't push his daily loaner hard to and from work. And to your point, any car that can out handle most anything short of an M3 and scoot to 60 mph in under 6.5 seconds is a sports car, regardless of how many seats it has. I would not put a JCW Clubman in the same category as an Accord.

I think we get your point, we just don't see your logic, but thats cool, we can agree to disagree.

+2

Old 08-02-2008, 10:29 AM
mr. jim
4th Gear

Regards,
Terry

Are NOT sportscars You're kidding right, tell me your kidding please.. Check your mini history please

Old 08-02-2008, 10:41 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
Either sports cars are strictly prototype race cars for Le Mans and Rolex Series (in which case traditional GT cars such as Ferraris and 911s don't qualify) or all sporty road cars qualify for the moniker. The MINI is essentially a FWD 2-door sports sedan (a variety of sports car).

P.S. Flogging a launch/demo car is perfectly acceptable practice.

Last edited by PepperSClubman; 08-02-2008 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Post Script
Old 08-02-2008, 10:47 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by wearlaz
According to Geico, my 2008 Clubman S (on the Integrity on the way to US now as I type) is officially a STATION WAGON!!!! Financially, I'm not complaining!
My registration lists my Clubbie as a coupe.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:12 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Demos were cars to stay away from just for the reasons above. Who wants to pay new car prices for vehicles with miles already on them by people who didn't care for them as if their own? That is unless you don't mind that and want to get it cheaper and/or don't want to wait for one to be built for you.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:19 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ftttubrgcm
Demos were cars to stay away from just for the reasons above. Who wants to pay new car prices for vehicles with miles already on them by people who didn't care for them as if their own? That is unless you don't mind that and want to get it cheaper and/or don't want to wait for one to be built for you.
you guys freak out too easy ... my first MC was a demo with 300 miles on the clock and I had zero problems for 4 years with anything engine/tranny related. and I am pretty sure that it was treated as the Original poster did the JCW

the warranty is there for a reason as well.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:58 PM
jointheclubman
2nd Gear
Whether or not this post is late, I'm on Terry's side -- I wouldn't want anyone to thrash my car before I bought it. However, seeing as there are people who disagree, I do not want to start an argument, so it shall end here.

Anyway, glad to hear that you enjoyed the JCW; I've yet to try one, but it sounds like a thrill!

Old 08-02-2008, 03:16 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
Just like my post said, "demos "were" cars to stay away from". We have better lubricants now so even if you demo a car and race the engine before it gets up to operating temp, you probably won't be doing very much if any, untimely wear and tear. I didn't want my car to even be looked at by potential buyers, let alone being driven. But that is just me.

Old 08-02-2008, 03:28 PM
jimfarley
2nd Gear
So I stopped by my dealer today to discuss some last minute accessories for my Clubman S arriving in a couple of weeks. When I pulled into the lot I saw two very red cars with black stripes. Wouldn't you know it one was an '09 Cooper Works Mini and the other an '09 Cooper Works Clubman. I quickly demanded keys and took the Clubman for a test drive.
Lucky you! Sounds like you put it through its paces, which is exactly why the dealer got these demo vehicles. Thanks for the review.

Quick Reply: R55 Test Drove a Cooper Works Clubman