R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Sure the Clubman is fun to drive, but...

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008 | 05:08 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Ay Caramba Rockhouse!

My question to you why are you driving a MINI instead of a Volvo?

Old 08-06-2008 | 07:00 PM
towtruckted
1st Gear
My 2 kids just turned 10 and 12 and I have the Clubman for a little over 1 month. Overall they say it's OK. But, they complain of discomfort with respect to resting their heads for sleeping. They much prefer my other vehicles; a G- Wagen and the 4 door Rubicon. (Of course they don't have to pay for gas)

towtruckted

Old 08-06-2008 | 07:54 PM
rockhouse
2nd Gear
because the mini is a safe car & I like it.

Old 08-06-2008 | 11:40 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
So,

you've succeeded in dodging the question, several times, about what's wrong with seeing from others with experience if the car fits the buyers needs? Didn't you read the original post? It didn't ask "how do the kids like it" it asked how it worked out as tranport for children.

Is it to hard to say, "gee, I guess I read the post wrong, sorry for all the confusion"?

Matt

Old 08-07-2008 | 04:24 AM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jumboshrimp
I have 2 kiddos (8 and 11) and I had them ride along on the test drive in both a Cooper Hardtop and the Clubman. They were infinitely more comfortable in the Clubbie and I was happier with them being able to manage the getting in and out with a bit more ease.

Parkerton, I think your kids will make the transition easily and be happy in their new MINI. I know my kids can't wait for ours to arrive!
Couldn't agree more.

I brought my 4 and 8 year olds along as well. They need to "approve" the back seat, since they are the ones who use it. They did the same on the Highlander I used to drive and on the Jeep Liberty before that. (By the way, their thumbs up is not a requirement, just a fun bit of inclusion for them.)

And...they bound happily through the club door at every chance. They love our clubbie. We have taken 5 hour trips in it already and I get fewer "Are we there yet" bits than in the SUVs.

You'll both have a blast in yours' too.

By the way, jumboshrimp, love the NFR/B! Can't wait to see real pics.

Old 08-07-2008 | 10:40 AM
kpwright
1st Gear
Traded volvo for clubman

Originally Posted by ClubmanS
Ay Caramba Rockhouse!

My question to you why are you driving a MINI instead of a Volvo?
Recently I ordered a new Clubman to replace my volvo 960. My previous car was a volvo 740, and I've been driving them for 14 years. While the volvos were a terrific mechanical experience, I began noticing about 2 years ago that I was gripping the auto shifter while taking hard turns and squealing the tires. And I noticed that mini owners were getting comments from women like "hey baby, sweet ride you have there" while I was getting comments like "gee, that must be safe" about the volvo. soooooo out with the volvo, in with the mini.

Old 08-07-2008 | 10:43 AM
Parkerton
|
4th Gear
Originally Posted by kpwright
Recently I ordered a new Clubman to replace my volvo 960. My previous car was a volvo 740, and I've been driving them for 14 years. While the volvos were a terrific mechanical experience, I began noticing about 2 years ago that I was gripping the auto shifter while taking hard turns and squealing the tires. And I noticed that mini owners were getting comments from women like "hey baby, sweet ride you have there" while I was getting comments like "gee, that must be safe" about the volvo. soooooo out with the volvo, in with the mini.
Yeah, but with the Volvo, you're probably meeting the ones you want to bring home to mom = )

Old 08-07-2008 | 11:00 AM
kpwright
1st Gear
Fire Red Valiant

Originally Posted by rockhouse
When the kids buy the car they can get what they want. Do you thinks your parents bought their cars because you liked them? Probably not. Everything doesn't have to revolve around the kids. Get what YOU want.
This reminded me of when my dad bought a new '75 Plymouth Valiant. He wanted a neutral color like beige, which they had on the lot, but they also had one in the showroom that was Fire Engine Red with a black vinyl top. My sister and I thought it was waaaay better than the beige, and we told mommy, who in turn said "gee honey the kids really like the red one" so my father had a lose-lose situation... either drive a fire engine for ten years, or get reminded by my mother that he was a boring dud for ten years. We got the fire engine.