R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Keyed - again!! URGGGGG....

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 09:08 PM
Donna/Mike
|
Sand Dollar Collector
Thanks to all for the kind replies - it will be several weeks before we can get it fixed up - timing, etc. etc. We know a local person who does great work, so I'm sure Merlin will be looking his best soon...

I still sit and shake my head when I think about ours and others getting keyed. It just really PISSES ME OFF!! I don't get it....yes - Mean People Suck...

Donna

Old 08-10-2008 | 09:22 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
That just sucks and I know that I would be frustrated and upset. You're still better off than the perpetrator as it's easier for you to fix the car than it is for him or her to fix his or her life which clearly shows a bigger scar.

Wishing a speedy recovery and sorry that this happened to you!

Old 08-11-2008 | 09:23 AM
Dark Knight
3rd Gear
Same thing happened to my wife's HC Clubman (Hottie Chocolate) about a month and half ago. It was while she was parked in front of work on the street on the drivers side from the gas door to the edge of the front door. She was so upset and mad, she did even post on her, because she was so upset. She had just made her second payment and only had about 3,000 miles on it when it happened. The body shop did a excellent job. Looks good as new. While hers was in the bodyshop another Clubman was in the shop with key marks in the same spot. What's up with people? People can be so mean.

Old 08-11-2008 | 10:23 AM
accordselux
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Dark Knight
Same thing happened to my wife's HC Clubman (Hottie Chocolate) about a month and half ago. It was while she was parked in front of work on the street on the drivers side from the gas door to the edge of the front door. She was so upset and mad, she did even post on her, because she was so upset. She had just made her second payment and only had about 3,000 miles on it when it happened. The body shop did a excellent job. Looks good as new. While hers was in the bodyshop another Clubman was in the shop with key marks in the same spot. What's up with people? People can be so mean.
My theory is it's some unstable first gen owners with chips on their shoulders about how the Clubman is 'not a real MINI' and they've undertaken a Quixotic crusade against any newer MINIs.

Old 08-11-2008 | 10:49 AM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
My husband has always questioned why people feel the need to deface someone else's car. He says that it makes absolutely no sense to him, and if he ever caught the guy who keyed my corolla, he'd beat him senseless so that at least his mental state would match his actions.

I cried over a 65$ ding repair on Viola. If someone keyed her, I can't even tell you how I'd react. But I'd probably be inconsolable over the damage afterwards. *big virutal hugs* for you and Mike.

Old 08-11-2008 | 10:59 AM
Skye2
3rd Gear
I am so sorry to hear about this and anyone having their MINI keyed. I blame the parents for not instilling the fear of (insert your diety of choice) in them. They are lowlife loser scum and jealous of your MINI. They cannot afford a MINI so they need to feel better about themselves not ever having one and this is the result. Yes, karma will prevail. My 95 Celica was keyed a couple of times.

Old 08-11-2008 | 05:50 PM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Nothing to add to what's already been said. Just awful that people feel the need to do this (several similar threads on NAM now). Sorry for your loss!

Old 08-11-2008 | 05:58 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Oh, Donna! AGAIN!!!???!!!

I am so sorry about it. You'll get the Clubbie painted and he'll be good as new again, I'm sure.

Old 08-11-2008 | 07:30 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Donna, this is why some of us carry an extra ammo clip.

Old 08-12-2008 | 08:09 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods

WTF is with people? I never could understand this sort of behavior. People who get their jollies by damaging others' property like this need to seriously die in a fire.

So sorry, D/M.

Old 08-12-2008 | 08:21 AM
Reldieh
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DragonWagon
Donna, this is why some of us carry an extra ammo clip.
+1

I hate to say it, but it's true.

Old 08-21-2008 | 08:07 AM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Wait, isn't there some kind of body-colored filler on the market that can get the groove out? (I call it a groove as it's too deep to be a mere scratch.)

Old 08-21-2008 | 11:52 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Donna and Mike, somehow I missed this thread altogether. I am sorry about your car being keyed - and Dark Knight's wife's also. I wish both of your Clubmans a speedy and full recovery!

Old 08-21-2008 | 07:25 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Skye2
I am so sorry to hear about this and anyone having their MINI keyed. I blame the parents for not instilling the fear of (insert your diety of choice) in them. They are lowlife loser scum and jealous of your MINI. They cannot afford a MINI so they need to feel better about themselves not ever having one and this is the result. Yes, karma will prevail. My 95 Celica was keyed a couple of times.

+1+1+1!!!
This is so true. My grandfather sent my dad to military school as punishment! He'd never stand for slime like them. Parenting has truly gone down the drain in recent years. I don't have kids but I tell you: if I did, they'd learn REALLY QUICKLY what happens when they get kicks out of damaging someone else's hard-earned property!

Old 08-27-2008 | 04:27 PM
619mini
2nd Gear
Sorry to hear it, mine was egged a couple weeks back while i was driving. I now have some minor damage, chipped paint, on the hood. Hard to notice but I know it's there.

Old 08-27-2008 | 08:45 PM
Donna/Mike
|
Sand Dollar Collector
^ Well THAT sucks too! Egging is just as bad - if left on - as you already know - yikes what it can do to the paint!!!

Haven't had time to get Merlin in the shop yet

Donna

Old 10-12-2008 | 06:03 PM
maacodale
4th Gear
Owning a body shop I see a lot of this kinda crap. Too much actually. In the grand scheme of things scratches are pretty easy to correct as opposed to the two accidents our MCS has been invited to.

BTW, on egg damage, it's the shells that do the damage. They actually cut into the paint like little razor blades. Good luck on Merlin!!!

Old 10-12-2008 | 06:57 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by accordselux
My theory is it's some unstable first gen owners with chips on their shoulders about how the Clubman is 'not a real MINI' and they've undertaken a Quixotic crusade against any newer MINIs.
I've given some thought to this. It does make more sense than one might believe: that other Cooper owners are furious that the existence of the Clubman makes their cars "less special." I wouldn't be surprised if some of the keyers are other Mini owners.

Old 10-12-2008 | 07:18 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
I've given some thought to this. It does make more sense than one might believe: that other Cooper owners are furious that the existence of the Clubman makes their cars "less special." I wouldn't be surprised if some of the keyers are other Mini owners.
What kind of cr*p statement is that ???

Are you having a bad day or what?

Old 10-12-2008 | 09:12 PM
AvidMINI
Seeing CHILI RED!
I would be very surprised if it were another MINI owner. That's horrible. I can't imagine a MINI owner being that malicious, especially towards the owner of another MINI.

Old 10-13-2008 | 07:04 AM
bardsjr
1st Gear
That is a bit silly to think that Mini owners would do such a thing. I know you were saying that in jest though. The culprits are probably some dumb kids who don't know any better.

But man, if I ever caught someone keying my car, they would never find the body.

Oh, what happened? I blacked out there for a second.

Old 10-13-2008 | 08:12 AM
Casey Jones
3rd Gear
OMG. THAT IS SO WRONG!

I am so sorry that Merlin was attacked like that. People can really be JERKS sometimes.

Old 10-13-2008 | 08:22 AM
Red Bull
6th Gear
That just plain sucks.....Its not the car its just some people are either jealous or get their kicks out of hurting people. These idoits do understand that our cars are important to us, thats why they do it. A buddy of mine rented a car in Cali....a H2 not his choice and they went out to dinner and came out to find the entire car keyed...all panels. He didn't take out the insurence and had to pay the $2K deductible.....you can't fix stupid. I hope you get your car fixed to your satisfaction and the low life who keyed your car gets the same treatment some day.

Old 10-13-2008 | 09:00 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by aafflyer
What kind of cr*p statement is that ???

Are you having a bad day or what?
None at all. I'm just saying that I have met a person or two who think that, when they have a car that is all unique, they get angry and jealous when something similar comes out and it "diminishes how special their car is." You should read some articles on the Clubman when it first came out. One writer did bash the Clubman, saying it was "killing" the nostalgia of the smaller one! Some people make me laugh. Take deep breath and relax. Puhleeze relax. If you can't type without trying to stir up a fight, why post anything at all? I remember during that last presidential election that people's signs were being stolen and their cars scratched and egged. Someone on a message board suggested that party A's supporters were vandalizing the cars of their own party supporters to make it look like party B was responsible. Interesting thought. I suspect something similar here but for different reasons because I find it somewhat odd that only Clubmen are being vandalized, not R53s or convertibles.

Old 10-13-2008 | 09:20 PM
aafflyer
5th Gear
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
None at all. I'm just saying that I have met a person or two who think that, when they have a car that is all unique, they get angry and jealous when something similar comes out and it "diminishes how special their car is." You should read some articles on the Clubman when it first came out. One writer did bash the Clubman, saying it was "killing" the nostalgia of the smaller one! Some people make me laugh. Take deep breath and relax. Puhleeze relax. If you can't type without trying to stir up a fight, why post anything at all? I remember during that last presidential election that people's signs were being stolen and their cars scratched and egged. Someone on a message board suggested that party A's supporters were vandalizing the cars of their own party supporters to make it look like party B was responsible. Interesting thought. I suspect something similar here but for different reasons because I find it somewhat odd that only Clubmen are being vandalized, not R53s or convertibles.
I apologize for perhaps over reacting, but I truly doubt that it is a fellow mini owner doing someone else's car in because it diminishes the value of their car. That's all I meant to say, and I probably could have phrased it better.

But I still see little justification for your post, and thus (to me) it too could have just as well not been posted.

Quick Reply: R55 Keyed - again!! URGGGGG....