R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Is anyone else as disappointed with their MINI purchase as I am?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 05:07 PM
vaper
2nd Gear
I'm on my second MINI now, having had an '06 MCS and now an '08 Cooper Clubman. I have owned 3 Audis in the past, all were Quattros, an A4 1.8t (with an APR Chip), a 2.8 A6 and lastly a 225 TTR. No doubt about it Audi knows how to put together a beautiful interior and a generally well put together car. My TT in particular was a visual masterpiece. Plus, with winter tires, it was an unstoppable snowmobile.

I recently test drove the A3 an I was totally underwhelmed. Over-boosted power steering would be an understatement. It was just uninvolving in every aspect. Proper German engineering with zero character. When it comes down to it, none of my Audi's had real character. Always good cars but never great.

In my experience, MINI puts together an extremely involving car. Not perfect but much more of a driver's car than any of my Audi's.

Old 08-10-2008 | 05:08 PM
Apple
6th Gear
I satand by my statement go buy a corrola and se if you miss her..

Old 08-10-2008 | 05:40 PM
RadishAttack
2nd Gear

Last edited by RadishAttack; 08-14-2008 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-10-2008 | 05:58 PM
moclubman
2nd Gear
I agree with the others, sell the car and do it while demand is strong. I am amazed at your mileage as I am getting about 35 mpg in mixed driving with a light right foot. As for the AC, yes I need to keep it cooler than other cars, but I figure with the black roof that its a magnet for the sun.

I also think it would have been easy to put a variable setting on the rain sensor. My Volvo had it as it has a button on the arm of the stalk. I also think they could have put a light to show you that the intermittent rain sensor is active. While were at it, why don't the windows have a better defined switch so you can open a little and then push further for automatic operation.

Having said that, I have never been more passionate about a new car as this one. If you don't have the same love, then quit while your ahead and get a car that you think you will enjoy better, perhaps with a little less character and a more intuitive (if somewhat generic) design.

Old 08-10-2008 | 06:26 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
My short answer to your question is: No.

I could not be more pleased with my purchase. This car is everything I wanted and then some. Every day that I sit behind the wheel, I find something else that makes me smile and love it even more.

I'm not going to try and convince you otherwise, but I do think you should take a hard look at these things that are on your "disappointing" list. Many are *really* nitpicky, (several things you knew about before you even ordered it) and I say that if these are the worst things you can come up with, you still have a pretty stellar car there.

I'm sorry you're disappointed.

I just looked up the base price of a new Audi TT, and it's $33,980. Did you spend even close to that on your Clubman? If not, I don't think it's fair to compare them.

Old 08-10-2008 | 06:40 PM
MiniBoz
2nd Gear
That was quite a list! I have a Clubman on order and cannot wait to drive it! It is really quirky, but that gives the car personality! I was pumped to get a 2001 Sentra SE, but it quickly became just another car that I have owned. The Mini has the promise to be something different. And that is what I want.

Old 08-10-2008 | 06:43 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
Originally Posted by jweiss32807
But I'm being objective and honest from my perspective of owning the vehicle for over 2 months.
If this is the case, it's completely cool. Your original post makes it sound like you are miserable with this car, and I hate to see people in cars that they hate. Cars are expensive and there is absolutely no reason for you to make do with one that you despise.

I do agree with your complaints that the interior surface finishes seem a bit cheap. I have the Piano Black interior surface and have no scratches, but the dashboard material does feel like really chintzy plastic and I am not a huge fan of it. I also really dislike the center armrest and will not purchase this again on this car, but these two complaints are pithy compared to everything that I love about my car.

I can't make you be as excited as I am about my car, but I can tell you why I love it so much and maybe that will help get you excited about your car too.

I love the exterior look of the car. I look at this car as it sits in my garage and just smile at the thing, and I swear that with those round headlights and that grill, it's smiling back at me. I love the way it handles in the twisties, I love that driving this car requires me to actually do something more than just be a butt in the seat and make snap decisions about how to avoid other idiots on the road. I love that customizing this car is not only easy to do, but is encouraged! I love that other people smile when they see my car coming, and that I get big thumbs up signs from long haul truck drivers when I zig past the Flying J. I love overhearing other drivers say, "I want that car!" while I'm motoring down the road.

There's so much more that I love about the car, but those are the really big things that make me smile about it every single day. I'm getting a lot of mileage out of the smiles this car has put on my face.

Old 08-10-2008 | 06:54 PM
Madison MS MINI
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by vaper
In my experience, MINI puts together an extremely involving car. Not perfect but much more of a driver's car than any of my Audi's.
Couldn't agree more, My audi tt Sucked to say the least. In the shop more than out, a horrible ride, and finishes that lacked . . . well everything. On the other hand my MINI isn't a $100 lux car but a drivers car and baby does she drive.

Old 08-10-2008 | 07:05 PM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
Sorry about the problems. I now have 6,000 miles on my Clubman (purchased Memorial Day), and besides an initial engine problem, this car exceeds my expectations. I had the High Pressure Fuel Pump replaced at around 2500 miles...it was sluggish and had engine light.
Average city milegae is about 30 mpg, I have gotten up to 40 mpg highway, then that went away when I was too agressive with Left Lane Hangers!
Car handles great in rain, recent heavy rains, I was able to maintain speed nicley.
Interstate cruising is very good, I can stay with the best, and get around the slugs! "Knock on wood" - no speed tickets yet!
Interior is good to very good, things work well, and I am us to were things are. The airconditioner works good, gets the job done almost better than my 2005 F150 SCrew.
I love the car, and the community - always looking at these forums, addicted I guess. I can't wait for an excuss to drive "Bubba", the 6 speed is F U N...

Old 08-10-2008 | 08:00 PM
Apple
6th Gear
The best part of owning a Mini, is this great group

Old 08-11-2008 | 05:47 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Okay, that was the hook… In all seriousness though, I like the car, but it doesn’t come close to meeting or exceeding my expectations. I went from a 2001 Audi TT and really consider the Mini a step down in many (but not all) ways. Granted, I didn’t option it out, but the build quality / materials isn’t in the same league as the Audi. After reading this forum for 3 months and the reviews from car mags, I sometimes wonder if we are driving the same car…

I have a Cr/Blk Clubman S, Sport, LS, red leather/cloth, rooster red color line, fluid silver, and premium sound. I’ve had it for 2 months, and have about 2800 miles on it.

So, here is a list of things that have been disappointing…
  • Gas mileage has been terrible – 22 city and 30 highway. For a car this small… by far, this has been the biggest downer.
Sounds like you need to check this out. I'm getting consistently 29mpg in my Automatic S
  • Air conditioning struggles to keep the cabin cold – and what idiot placed the driver’s air vents at 10 and 2 o’clock!
Do you have the climate control or standard A/C - my standard is a little weak - no worse than my old VW mind you. I'm thinking of doing tint to help out on hotter days regardless.
  • Dealer experience less than stellar from order through delivery
Agreed - not an exclusive to MINI however - our VW and Saab service were spotty during ownership.
  • My wife scratched the fluid silver trim after riding in it one time. ONE time! Couldn’t they have clear coated it with something more durable than lip gloss?
Can't comment on that - have the standard checkerboard aluminium feel finish
  • The S engine really needs another 10-20 hp. I’m sure the JCW fixes that and then some, but for an extra $4k and a further hit on gas mileage?
Again - sounds like something's up - do you have an iPhone? If so download "Dynolicious" and see what hp it estimates
  • Does anyone else’s car make noise (fan and gurgling sounds) for like 10 minutes after you turn it off? It also runs really hot.
Turbo, turbo, turbo. We're lucky that MINI has given us this feature! - a lot of enthusiasts will retrofit turbo timers that do the same thing - circulate coolant and oil to make sure the turbo cools down sufficiently and prevent coking/premature failure.
  • Did they even test this thing in a wind tunnel? The rear end is filthy after 5 miles. And if it is raining, good thing there is a rear wiper...
Agreed but there are plenty of other offenders. Mudflaps maybe?
  • Speaking of rain – how hard would it have been to add a variable delay intermittent wiper as standard?
This is annoying. I'd have specced the rain-sensing wipers had I known there was no variable speed.
  • The death star sized speedometer and radio controls are terrible. The plastic cover is stressed to fit such that when looking at it with polarized sunglasses, I can’t see half of what is in the gauges.
Try a different brand of polarized glasses - mine don't do this to my gauges.
  • The lighted fuel gauge is retarded. First light goes off when you are under ¾ full? An analog gauge would have much better.
You're nitpicking
  • Run flats? Grip like hell, but terrible ride quality. I would have liked a choice of non-run flats with a spare.
When your run-flats wear out buy all-seasons and use the money you save not purchasing new run-flats to buy a donut spare from the dealer
  • Premium sound system? My mom’s stock Toyota Corolla radio sounds better.
HiFi stereo has been lamented at length - if it's really pissing you off have someone put new front speakers in. Supposedly that goes a long way to remedying the problem.
  • Poor build quality / interior materials. My chrome sills are already separating and the floor mats? Please…
If you don't have the rubber floor-mats get a set. They're fine.
  • The cloth/leather seats are very difficult to keep clean. The black cloth just looks dirty most of the time.
Can't help you there - I have the leatherette
  • Speaking of seats, the sport seats are a bit narrow for my tastes. Great support for sporty driving, but huge fatigue on a long drive.
Can't help you here.
  • Nearly every interior storage space is too small or too strangely shaped to be truly useable.
I disagree. Perhaps a feng shui expert needs to visit your clubbie
  • Can’t retro-fit roof rails onto ‘08 Clubman?
I don't think we can confirm this until they come out. I think "where there's a will there's a way" but it's going to take an enterprising soul to blaze the trail for us all.

Old 08-11-2008 | 06:23 AM
nelzie
2nd Gear
I think your mileage has a good deal to do with your local driving conditions, weather conditions and personal driving habits.

On our test drive, the onboard, as you go, MPG calculator was showing a consistent 44 mpg, this was also a car that was being continuously test driven by a variety of different drivers.

I never crazy accelerated, even though I should have... I actually kept shifting right around 2k rpms. I've always been a "old person" kind of driver though. Something I do intend on shaking a little with my MINI.

Old 08-11-2008 | 06:26 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
I don't see how you can write such a scathing review and then later say, "I never intended to suggest that I was THAT unhappy with it."

If I felt like your first post says, I would already be out of this car.

I completely disagree with your entire post especially on these items:

1. I cannot completely see the radio either with my Costa Del Mar sunglasses. But instead of posting about it, I just quickly lift them, or turn my head. Perhaps you need a new head.

2. I only get 25 mpg so far on two tanks. But I drive it really fast. I have no problem knowing I could get 30 mpg if I drove it like a granny, but I didn't buy this car to drive like a granny, so I am going with 25 mpg.

3. Mine does run the fan as well for about ten minutes in the garage when I get home. Ok. :Shrug: Who cares? It can pour itself a drink and dance around if it wants to, I'm inside. I am not really sure how hot the hood scoop is either, I don't place my hands inside it. Why would I?

4. I like the A/C vents at 10 and 2. It shoots right up my arms which is exactly where you need to get cool, the wrists.

5. 10 or 20 more hp? Why not buy a BMW 128 or 135? The damn car couldn't handle much more hp. I would get too many tickets.

6. When the gas light comes on, drive another 60 miles then stop and refuel. I haven't had an analog gas gauge in my last 3 cars. The Audi does? If it does, it won't for much longer as analog is going the way of the dodo.

7. I was just remarking to myself the other day about the wonderful build quality. It's solid as a rock. The worst car I have ever had for build was a VW, er, Audi A4.

8. Seat narrowness should've been felt during a test drive. If its too narrow then you're either too big, or you need another car. You can switch the seats I guess. But if they did that then I would be on here writing about how wide the seats are and how my boney butt is rolling around in them and how I hate my Clubman.

You can't please everyone. The one thing I have learned with MINI is that it is categorically NOT for everyone. More than any other car you have to like it. But I have never met someone who bought one and didn't like it to the extent you did. Usually the sales process or testdrive weeded them out.

If your #1 reason for loving the Clubbie is the cupholders, SELL IT.

Old 08-11-2008 | 07:27 AM
PhillGreen
2nd Gear
6.5 out of 10 is like a D- grade. If I felt my car was a D-, and I felt I could get value for it (like you can with a clubman), I would definitely sell. We all deserve to drive vehicles that we feel are A+. For me, that is what my Clubman is. For you, it is not.

Old 08-11-2008 | 07:43 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
I really don't think this is a scathign review ... the biggest thing I see here is the "step down" he feels from going to the Clubman from the TT. And that is justified in many ways. I would probably feel the same way.

When I went to a loaded Mazda3 from my stripped MC Coupe last year I felt the same way for awhile as well.

Sounds to me like you bought the Clubman as a compromise in some way and are an Audi guy at heart. This is cool! I would investigate the A4 Avant (if they are out) and the A3 ... the Clubman has great resale value so you won't lose anyhting changing your mind.

Old 08-11-2008 | 07:52 AM
Apple
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
I don't see how you can write such a scathing review and then later say, "I never intended to suggest that I was THAT unhappy with it."

If I felt like your first post says, I would already be out of this car.

I completely disagree with your entire post especially on these items:

1. I cannot completely see the radio either with my Costa Del Mar sunglasses. But instead of posting about it, I just quickly lift them, or turn my head. Perhaps you need a new head.

2. I only get 25 mpg so far on two tanks. But I drive it really fast. I have no problem knowing I could get 30 mpg if I drove it like a granny, but I didn't buy this car to drive like a granny, so I am going with 25 mpg.

3. Mine does run the fan as well for about ten minutes in the garage when I get home. Ok. :Shrug: Who cares? It can pour itself a drink and dance around if it wants to, I'm inside. I am not really sure how hot the hood scoop is either, I don't place my hands inside it. Why would I?

4. I like the A/C vents at 10 and 2. It shoots right up my arms which is exactly where you need to get cool, the wrists.

5. 10 or 20 more hp? Why not buy a BMW 128 or 135? The damn car couldn't handle much more hp. I would get too many tickets.

6. When the gas light comes on, drive another 60 miles then stop and refuel. I haven't had an analog gas gauge in my last 3 cars. The Audi does? If it does, it won't for much longer as analog is going the way of the dodo.

7. I was just remarking to myself the other day about the wonderful build quality. It's solid as a rock. The worst car I have ever had for build was a VW, er, Audi A4.

8. Seat narrowness should've been felt during a test drive. If its too narrow then you're either too big, or you need another car. You can switch the seats I guess. But if they did that then I would be on here writing about how wide the seats are and how my boney butt is rolling around in them and how I hate my Clubman.

You can't please everyone. The one thing I have learned with MINI is that it is categorically NOT for everyone. More than any other car you have to like it. But I have never met someone who bought one and didn't like it to the extent you did. Usually the sales process or testdrive weeded them out.

If your #1 reason for loving the Clubbie is the cupholders, SELL IT.
+1

Old 08-11-2008 | 09:17 AM
jumboshrimp
2nd Gear
Not having my Clubman yet, I can't comment on the specifics of the things you find dissapointing, but I will say that some of them do seem to be things you should have checked out to make sure it isn't something unique and/or not correct about the particular vehicle you got (the MPG and sluggish driving). That said I do think that there are always things with every vehicle that we will find quirky, odd or downright annoying (funny that you like the cupholders because I don't like that myself, they are too small and the placement interferes with the toggle controls and shifting for me). Obviously the folks here have had a different experience with their vehicles and I don't think they are off the mark to say that you sound like you dislike it enough that you should consider selling it. You should be able to be happy with your car. You don't sound like you are. I just don't think you are going to get a lot of people here who feel the same way. I am sure there are people who do feel that way, but they are unlikely to hang out here. Frankly I think the laundry list of mostly (not all, but mostly) minor things you are finding fault with are things that wouldn't bug me that much.

All I will add is that if you are this negative about the minute details of your vehicle, I am glad I am not your wife!

Old 08-11-2008 | 09:53 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
It sounds like the car you want has a BMW or some other prestige car company emblem on it. This is pretty much BMW's entry level vehicle so don't expect it to be at that level. 6,000 miles so far in 6 months with no problems at all. I could be happier with better mirror controls but for 28k, this vehicle appears to fit the level of the price for me.

Old 08-11-2008 | 10:03 AM
mbcoops
6th Gear
  • The death star sized speedometer
That is hilarious.

• The Top Gear folks are blind, entertaining, but blind. I actually like the proportions better on the Clubman than the regular Mini.
And I agree with that 100%

mb

Old 08-11-2008 | 10:19 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Tough crowd - this forum makes the MacRumors crew look like amateurs

Jon,

enjoy your clubman - I know from other posts that you have in the past. Like all cars it has its shortcomings but I think the positives far outweigh the negatives.

Old 08-11-2008 | 01:45 PM
Joep
6th Gear
Jon,

First off, I’m disappointed that you’re not having the same experience as I am. I love my Clubman and I guess I want everyone else to have the same experience. My wife is even thinking about getting a non-S clubman within a year or so.

As for your comments, I agree with some and some I don’t. The location of the a/c vents – not the best but… My sill is coming up on mine. And the dirt on the back side has always been a problem. My ’05 MCS had that problem. But for me those are minor things. I’ll live with the vents and I’ll have the sill fixed. These aren’t perfect cars, but they are really good and fun cars. For me everything is fixable.

Regarding the dealers, I wanted to say this in an earlier thread but I figured I would have gotten beat down but regarding the dealer experience – you bought a MINI. There is good and bad with that. Good is the car, bad is the demand. Dealerships (outside of their approval rating) really don’t need to do a thing. They don’t solicit us to come in, we’re drawn in and they just wait for you to write the check. They aren’t going to call you to see if you have questions – they don’t have time for it. There are too many customers in the store. I was at DTM on Saturday, two of my friends want a MINI and asked if I was going to be in the area – I figured it was going to be dead, but it wasn’t. There were about 20 people in the dealership looking at the car. My point – dealerships really don’t have to kiss up to us. If ya want a Ford or a Chevy they’ll do a lot more for ya, not so much with the MINIs. Just something I’ve observed.

As for the a/c, we live in Florida and this summer has been hot. Remember you have a black roof – it attracts heat. I did notice that I’m running the a/c at 70 but I have the sun roof too.

Wow, 22-30 mpg. I know my driving style is spirited to say the least but I'm getting on an average 29mpg and I'm going from the west side of town to Lake Mary using 436 and 434 (that would be a stretch of Orlando road that is packed with lights for those not in Orlando). So I have to guess that someone needs to look at your car.

For me, I think it boils down to perspective. It ain’t perfect, but it is fun. Maybe I’m just crazy and love it enough as is, pimples and all.

Just to let you know, one of my friends has decided that they are going to get an Audi A4 Avante. They are picking it up today. They said it boiled down to practicality with two kids, but they still want a clubman. If you feel as if you are going to be miserable – sell you Clubman and get want will make you happy. Life is too short.

Joe

Old 08-11-2008 | 03:49 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Ignore those that tell you to sell it...

that's a judgement for you alone. I think that you hit a nerve here. There are many who think that the Mini is the automotive equivalent of the second coming of Jesus!

Really, the car's aren't perfect, that's for sure. It's too bad that you got trapped by nearly impossible expectations, as it's a nicer thing to have expectations exceeded than not met, for sure!

A lot of new Mini owners (I didn't say all, so don't take this as an exuse to flame or post "I don't fit that description") haven't had enthusiasts cars before, and many that did came from cars that didn't have the cult-like following of owners. So cut them some slack, but I too notice that it's hard to level hones criticism of the car here. Live and learn.

but only you can decide if it hits a sweet enough spot to keep the car or not. For Minis the key is the handling and balance. Whilel the TT is a nice car, the Mini is a great machine to throw around corners. And it's got tons more room for things like trips to Home Depot or whatever.

Yeah, the huge speedo is a buzz kill, the one in the first gen Mini was big enough.... FWIW, I don't think the dash designer of the second gen MINI is still with the company......

Anyway, I hope that your car grows on you as it has on so many of us. But there are some itches the Mini will never scratch, that's just the way it goes!

Matt

Old 08-11-2008 | 03:51 PM
miniviper
2nd Gear
shoulda bought a first gen...

I have an 06 mcs and it is one of the most fun cars to drive that I have ever owned. The supercharger whine along with the handling and steadiness at triple digits make it an awesomely great driving car. My Viper is spending more and more time parked in the garage!

Old 08-11-2008 | 06:43 PM
BeganAsAFrog
1st Gear
heh, heh, heh ... we are a strange bunch aren't we?!?

For all the married ones out there it not like you never b!tch and complain about the other Oh well.

When you're in love, you don't notice all those annoyances

Old 08-11-2008 | 06:48 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
When you're in love, you don't notice all those annoyances
right on!

my previous car was perfect all around and that was the MOST annoying thing about it!

Quick Reply: R55 Is anyone else as disappointed with their MINI purchase as I am?