R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Is anyone else as disappointed with their MINI purchase as I am?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2008 | 06:42 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by DragonWagon
It stops your senility from advancing too early.
Too late!!

Old 08-22-2008 | 08:46 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
On a plane recently, I spent a few minutes with Excel. Hopefully, setting up a few simple formulas will hold off senility, 'cuz I'm not doing the math in my...uh...um...in my, uh..

What was I just talking about?

Old 08-22-2008 | 09:17 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
For what it's worth, the Abarth Fiat 500s had 38 HP, and were very competitive in thier race class....

Matt

Old 08-22-2008 | 09:44 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Originally Posted by richs10

OBC.... Act MPG........ Speed .........Dist ........Gals ........Grade
31.5 .................................................. ....................Premium?
31.1 .......28.3 ............35.2 ..........365 ........12.9 .......Mid Grade
31.7 .......28.8 ............35.2 ..........388........ 13.48 ......Mid Grade
32.3 .......29.99........... 37.2 ..........368........ 12.27 ......Prem (did not reset obc)
32.4 .......29.68 ...........35.2 ..........388 ........13.09 ......Prem (did not reset obc)
32.6 .......29.99 ...........37.6 ..........400.5...... 13.4 .......Prem (did not reset obc)

My comute is fairly consistent. I'm not babying it. (Also, the next to last tank involved an extended ride into downtown DC with pretty heavy traffic)

FWIW, I have noticed that when I ran the two mid-grade tanks, my tail pipes were very clean afterwards. When I run premium, I get a fairly heavy black soot on the ends of the pipes.

For people who are getting 20 or 22 mpg, what are your average speed readings?

(I hope you can read the chart. I cannot get it to appear with the spaces for the columns. Sorry)

That's odd that mid-grade is not putting soot on the tailpipes. What brand is it? I might consider getting mid-grade from them if it keeps my pipes clean. BTW, have you had any problems with engine knocking when you went to mid-grade?

Old 08-23-2008 | 04:40 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
That's odd that mid-grade is not putting soot on the tailpipes. What brand is it? I might consider getting mid-grade from them if it keeps my pipes clean. BTW, have you had any problems with engine knocking when you went to mid-grade?
The mid-grade was Citgo. The Premium is Texaco.

When I took delivery two months ago, my MA said to run REGULAR every third tank since the service department found that the Premium runs 'too rich'. I said, "You mean mid-grade, right?" He said, "No, Regular." I haven't had the nerve to do that.

When I ran the two tanks of mid-grade, I really didn't notice any difference in performance. No problems with knocking. But as the chart indicates, I seem to be getting slightly better Mpg with Premium (I know this runs counter to the common wisdom, but the chart says what it says).

The soot on the tailpipe tips is ugly, but I just wash it off after I do my wheels. But I do wonder what its doing to the engine. It can't be good, can it? Is there a problem if an engine is burning too rich????

Old 08-23-2008 | 02:49 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
The mid-grade was Citgo. The Premium is Texaco.
But I do wonder what its doing to the engine. It can't be good, can it? Is there a problem if an engine is burning too rich????

Can anyone else answer his question? Is there a limit to how rich fuel can burn? I really would like to know too. Thanks!

Old 08-23-2008 | 03:40 PM
proximal
4th Gear
The soot on the tailpipe tips is ugly, but I just wash it off after I do my wheels. But I do wonder what its doing to the engine. It can't be good, can it? Is there a problem if an engine is burning too rich????
The soot is just something inherent with direct injection turbocharged engines. Don't worry about it too much. You'll see the same complaints from GTI and Mazdaspeed3 owners. Guess what those cars have in common with the Cooper S?

Old 08-23-2008 | 03:50 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
Can anyone else answer his question? Is there a limit to how rich fuel can burn? I really would like to know too. Thanks!
I'll admit up front I'm NOT an engineer, nor profess to be expertly knowledgeable about cobustion process. With that out of the way, imho, fuel burns at all sorts of air/fuel ratios..the key for our concern is efficiency with regard to power, consumption and emissions..all of this typically controlled by ECM/computer. If a particular fuel selection is leaving obvious deposits, it suggests systems are not coping properly for that fuel..there are sufficient impurities escaping systems designed to eliminate them. The best course is to fill with the suspect fuel, and then smog-test it, seeing what emissions are being produced. Follow that up with another fuel brand/grade for comparisons. Naturally, a pal that works at a $mog facility would be your bestest friend during such testing!

Old 08-23-2008 | 03:52 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by proximal
The soot is just something inherent with direct injection turbocharged engines. Don't worry about it too much. You'll see the same complaints from GTI and Mazdaspeed3 owners. Guess what those cars have in common with the Cooper S?
And there you have it! I learnt supmthin new! My 'Pelle' is justaclubman.

Old 09-05-2008 | 02:48 PM
stevedoman
Neutral
I feel your pain. Right now, I feel the MINI is a piece of crap. Just had the power steering pump/fan replaced for 1200 bucks...on my way home, the rear wheel (driver's side) is hotter than hell, and smoke is billowing from underneath the boot?!? It seems like every other week, there's another major problem, with only 60k miles. I imagine if one is mechanically inclined, the MINI is a joy to work on, etc. For those of us who are not so blessed, it is a dismal money pit. I can't wait to get rid of this car! Yeah, it looks cool, and handles great===but at what cost?

Old 09-05-2008 | 05:55 PM
srahaim
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by stevedoman
I feel your pain. Right now, I feel the MINI is a piece of crap. Just had the power steering pump/fan replaced for 1200 bucks...on my way home, the rear wheel (driver's side) is hotter than hell, and smoke is billowing from underneath the boot?!? It seems like every other week, there's another major problem, with only 60k miles. I imagine if one is mechanically inclined, the MINI is a joy to work on, etc. For those of us who are not so blessed, it is a dismal money pit. I can't wait to get rid of this car! Yeah, it looks cool, and handles great===but at what cost?

Man it must hurt to have a first gen model. Here's to hoping that the 2nd gen engines are more reliable. (Also, $1200 seems pretty steep for that repair which, from other threads in NAM, seems like a warranty issue for most folks.) I mean, I know MINI isn't a Honda (i.e., gas, oil and 200K with no service at all besides a timing belt at 100K or so) but now that I'm all in, I'm crossing my fingers I don't post something similar in 60K miles!

Old 09-09-2008 | 06:47 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
One more comment for the OP. An Audi TT base MSRP is about $35K. The Clubman base MSRP is about $20k, nearly half the price of your old car. To a certain extent, you get what you pay for, and these two cars are apples-and-oranges as far as comparisons go.

Old 09-09-2008 | 07:26 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
I love this damn car as I did my previous coupe ... but I would NEVER keep a BMW product out of warranty.

Old 09-09-2008 | 08:01 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Remind me now, what's the warranty?

Old 09-09-2008 | 08:48 PM
Barley
3rd Gear
I look forward to being disappointed in a few weeks. Second week of October latest. Drive home will be about a thousand miles, so I should be furious. Can't wait!

Old 09-09-2008 | 10:57 PM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
"The S engine really needs another 10-20 hp."

ARE YOU KIDDING ME??????????????

Over the past 30 years of driving, I have owned 6 cars. ('72 Celica. '76 Volvo 242, '82 Plymouth Sapporo, '89 Isuzu Trooper, 97 Mitsubishi Gallant and '03 Subaru Outback Sedan H6) My wife presently has a 325i/sport/premium and we also have our token SUV for hauling stuff. The MINI Cooper Clubman S was the most exciting test drive I have ever had. I tried the base Clubman and it had more than acceptable power, (In NJ on MUST have significant acceleration, or one WILL get run off the road. [Most insane/aggressive divers in the country]) but I was very impressed with the S and manual transmission. While I was at the dealer, I also tried out a 128i and was NOT impressed. It was not as much fun to drive as the wife's 5yr old 325.
Of all of the cars I have owned, The MINI has been the most fun test drive ever. My impression of the fit and finish is that it is on par with BMW.
I hope that you can come to accept the 'idiosyncrasies' of a MINI. It definitely is not an Audi!

Old 09-09-2008 | 11:28 PM
djmcgill
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
The roads are pathetic. We need toll roads and we need them now.
If you want to see pathetic roads and tolls - come on up to Jersey.
We have more tolls and pot holes then the rest of the country combined.
And the whole state is urban driving to boot!

I'm gonna retire to Maine. Too many people in the Carolinas or Florida for me.

Old 09-10-2008 | 06:29 PM
miniclubman
6th Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
I love this damn car as I did my previous coupe ... but I would NEVER keep a BMW product out of warranty.
I'm with you on that one. $500 thermostats! Ouch! I sold my '02 BMW wagon instead, and bought a Clubman. Lately I've heard many stories of very expensive routine repairs for other domestic and import makes, not just the usual Teutonic suspects. I DIY what I can, but sometimes it seems the engineers needlessly complicate what should be easy maintenance tasks.

Old 09-12-2008 | 12:56 PM
kpwright
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jweiss32807
it doesn’t come close to meeting or exceeding my expectations. I went from a 2001 Audi TT and really consider the Mini a step down in many (but not all) ways
You didn't mention any women in the positives or negatives. If you were hoping to have 100% better performance than an audi, you'll probably find a few gaps. But how are you going to discuss your audi at a cocktail party? Does your wife say, honey, pleeease can I take the audi today? And when you're mad at your wife, could you "go for a drive" and flirt with hot babes in the audi? i think not.

When women used to see my volvo 960 they'd say "gee, that's a nice car. must be really safe" Now they look at the MCC and say "can i have a ride"

I guess it all depends on your expectations.

Old 09-12-2008 | 02:59 PM
stevedoman
Neutral
Oh, the smoking wheel turned out to be a frozen caliper! had to have both rear calipers replaced for about another 600 bucks. Then, after I had that "fixed" the a new brake bleeder valve turned out to be defective!! Another day in the shop. This car has turned out to be a real headache. No wonder so many people buy Hondas and Toyotas!

Old 09-12-2008 | 03:05 PM
lurch70
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kpwright
You didn't mention any women in the positives or negatives. If you were hoping to have 100% better performance than an audi, you'll probably find a few gaps. But how are you going to discuss your audi at a cocktail party? Does your wife say, honey, pleeease can I take the audi today? And when you're mad at your wife, could you "go for a drive" and flirt with hot babes in the audi? i think not.

When women used to see my volvo 960 they'd say "gee, that's a nice car. must be really safe" Now they look at the MCC and say "can i have a ride"

I guess it all depends on your expectations.
LOL ... this brought back some memories of single life with my old Chili Red Coupe

Old 09-12-2008 | 05:32 PM
Casey Jones
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
It's horrible. The roads are pathetic. We need toll roads and we need them now.

Amen Brotha!

Old 09-12-2008 | 07:20 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
I little trip in the wayback machine...

when the Mini first came out, a lot of people bought it without ever taking a test drive, or thinking about the full driving experience vs thier needs. There were lots and lots of Mini sold with only a few hundred miles on the ODO cause it just didn't work out for them as expected.

Anyway, life goes on.....

Me, I won't sell my car, but I've gotten the itch for something different again. Last weekend I drove a 68 BMW motorcycle with a side car (didn't buy) and now I'm thinking of a Lotus 7 clone that a friend has and is thinking of selling...

Matt