R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Is anyone else as disappointed with their MINI purchase as I am?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2008 | 12:03 PM
jweiss32807
|
2nd Gear
Is anyone else as disappointed with their MINI purchase as I am?

Okay, that was the hook… In all seriousness though, I like the car, but it doesn’t come close to meeting or exceeding my expectations. I went from a 2001 Audi TT and really consider the Mini a step down in many (but not all) ways. Granted, I didn’t option it out, but the build quality / materials isn’t in the same league as the Audi. After reading this forum for 3 months and the reviews from car mags, I sometimes wonder if we are driving the same car…

I have a Cr/Blk Clubman S, Sport, LS, red leather/cloth, rooster red color line, fluid silver, and premium sound. I’ve had it for 2 months, and have about 2800 miles on it.

So, here is a list of things that have been disappointing…
  • Gas mileage has been terrible – 22 city and 30 highway. For a car this small… by far, this has been the biggest downer.
  • Air conditioning struggles to keep the cabin cold – and what idiot placed the driver’s air vents at 10 and 2 o’clock!
  • Dealer experience less than stellar from order through delivery
  • My wife scratched the fluid silver trim after riding in it one time. ONE time! Couldn’t they have clear coated it with something more durable than lip gloss?
  • The S engine really needs another 10-20 hp. I’m sure the JCW fixes that and then some, but for an extra $4k and a further hit on gas mileage?
  • Does anyone else’s car make noise (fan and gurgling sounds) for like 10 minutes after you turn it off? It also runs really hot.
  • Did they even test this thing in a wind tunnel? The rear end is filthy after 5 miles. And if it is raining, good thing there is a rear wiper...
  • Speaking of rain – how hard would it have been to add a variable delay intermittent wiper as standard?
  • The death star sized speedometer and radio controls are terrible. The plastic cover is stressed to fit such that when looking at it with polarized sunglasses, I can’t see half of what is in the gauges.
  • The lighted fuel gauge is retarded. First light goes off when you are under ¾ full? An analog gauge would have much better.
  • Run flats? Grip like hell, but terrible ride quality. I would have liked a choice of non-run flats with a spare.
  • Premium sound system? My mom’s stock Toyota Corolla radio sounds better.
  • Poor build quality / interior materials. My chrome sills are already separating and the floor mats? Please…
  • The cloth/leather seats are very difficult to keep clean. The black cloth just looks dirty most of the time.
  • Speaking of seats, the sport seats are a bit narrow for my tastes. Great support for sporty driving, but huge fatigue on a long drive.
  • Nearly every interior storage space is too small or too strangely shaped to be truly useable.
  • Can’t retro-fit roof rails onto ‘08 Clubman?
The things I like about it…
  • Great cup-holders!
  • GREAT manual transmission
  • It handles like no one’s business. Seems a little light on its feet at times (sliding), but awesome with the limited slip pulling out of a curve
  • No complaints on torque steer. My Audi was worse.
  • Clubman is pretty flexible for my 2 small kids. Without the Clubman, I never would have gotten a Mini. Though I would have also liked a 4th door on the driver’s side.
  • Way better than a mini-van to haul the family around in. Only a few times has lack of interior space been a problem. I got a double stroller to fit on a day-trip to Sea World and had enough room for luggage on a 5-day road trip from Florida to North Carolina.
  • I have grown to like the barn doors. Never found anything that fit in the pockets though.
  • I really like how Mini drivers wave at each other.
  • The Top Gear folks are blind, entertaining, but blind. I actually like the proportions better on the Clubman than the regular Mini.
Some of these things I knew about before I bought it, or figured out during the test drive. But others you can only discover through owning the car. And maybe I’m being nitpicky or overly sensitive on the small stuff. Every car has its idiosyncrasies. I bought the Mini because there was nothing else in either the size or price point that matched the gas mileage and fun to drive factor. For $28k, I probably should have more strongly considered an A3 or Impreza. But I thought the Mini would get substantially better gas mileage and resale, and went with that it.

In all, I would only give the Clubman a 6.5/10. I loved my old Audi, but wasn’t practical with the second kid. I had the Audi for 7 years, but I honestly can’t see myself having the Clubman that long. I’m sure you guys think I’m being overly critical, as everyone on these boards seems to admit no fault with their Mini’s. I’m just being honest, and providing a counterpoint to other’s who may be thinking of making the jump. Even knowing what I know now, I still might buy it again, but I would test drive it more and shop the competition much more thoroughly.

I'm sure many of you will disagree with me, and that's okay. But I know I'm talking to passionate Mini owners. You guys (and gals) are a strange bunch...

Jon W.

Old 08-10-2008 | 12:22 PM
xcoastie
2nd Gear
I found the variable windshield wiper is on the end of the stalk. There is a button you can tap on the very end and it will go into variable...try it! Also my fan runs after the car shuts off for maybe not 10 mins. but I never hang out in the garage and wait for it to shut off. I am also disappointed with the hi-fi sound, the speakers rattle at any sound level. I think something is just loose, and it is going back in to fix that. I am not upset with the MPG's but we opted for the non-S just for that reason.

Even with all the little "quirks" of the car, some being very good, we are still pleased with the car...*only 750 miles on it though*

Old 08-10-2008 | 12:25 PM
burbankianmini
1st Gear
Take it to willow springs race track or somewhere similar and drive it. you will feel the the real response of the car.I think some of your complaints are facts. Give it some time. I grew up in a mini in the 70s and I owned a coupe S and waiting for my clubman. If not sell it. Some would be willing to take it over from you.

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:07 PM
SNEEEZY - Erika
Rattle Can Queen!!!
Originally Posted by xcoastie
I found the variable windshield wiper is on the end of the stalk. There is a button you can tap on the very end and it will go into variable...try it!

Did you select the Convenience Pkg?

IIRC, the variable wiper option is part of that pkg and not available ala carte.

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:12 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Life is too short (and the current wait for a Clubman is too long),

........so if you really don't like the car, you can probably find someone who 'wants a Clubman now' who would take the car off your hands for very near what you paid for it, given the present market.

Go get that new Audi and be happy! If I gave it a 6.5, I know I wouldn't be happy.

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:13 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Did you even test drove the thing before ordering?

Don't get me wrong.. It is OK to have buyer's remorse. Maybe perhaps, the MINI is not your cup of tea after all.

In terms of power and fuel economy... I can't agree with your comments. This car is very powerful for everyday street driving and the fuel economy has meet my expectations.

I think an Audi or BMW are more up your alley.

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:14 PM
burbankianmini
1st Gear
Go get that new Audi and be happy! If I gave it a 6.5, I know I wouldn't be happy. (I give mine a 10/10 so far!)[/QUOTE]

AMEN TO THAT

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:16 PM
gnatster
6th Gear
Good writeup. MINI's are not for everyone and the more that are sold the more often we are going to see people that the car is not the best fit for. The nature of the beast.

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:17 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Yeah, sell it. You'll likely get what you paid for it back. There is no point in keeping a car that you are not 100% happy about. $30K is a lot of moola for any car (At least for me it is) and not be satisfied with such big ticket purchase should give you reason enough to let go of the car and get exactly what you want.

The Audi A3 is about the same price as the Clubman but be warned the legroom in the back is more limited than in the Clubby. However, you have 4 full doors, a rear hatch and a very high quality interior that is for all practical purposes better crafted than the one in the MINI.

Audi A3's have been very slow/poor sellers in this country (Most people think they are overpriced/warmed over VW Golfs) but they are still excellent cars in their own right and it is likely you can get one with a deep discount. Or maybe you can get a slightly used A3 (1-2 year old) for cheaper as Audis have the worst resale value of any car in the luxury segment

Other alternatives for you are the Audi A4, VW Golf GTI 5-door, BMW 3 series (Sedan/wagon), Volvo C30, etc.

Last edited by ClubmanS; 08-10-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-10-2008 | 01:19 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Originally Posted by gnatster
Good writeup. MINI's are not for everyone and the more that are sold the more often we are going to see people that the car is not the best fit for. The nature of the beast.
True. MINIs are not mainstream cars and are not for everyone, but for some people are a great fit

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:27 PM
Berthil
2nd Gear
No.

Old 08-10-2008 | 01:29 PM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
By the way, I have owned 4 MINIs in the past 6 years and we are 100% satisfied with our 6 month old Clubman S (4K miles so far on the clock and no issues to speak of).

Old 08-10-2008 | 02:01 PM
thulewx
4th Gear
That gas mileage sounds like you or the car has a problem - I have nearly the same car and get 33-37 hwy, 28-29 city ... maybe the type of gas? shift timing? (and I use A/C a lot, but agree it could be stronger - and the older MINIs vents were placed in much worse positions).

Old 08-10-2008 | 02:25 PM
richs10
5th Gear
The mileage does sound low, unless your driving through Manhatten every day. I'm getting 32.5 avg with a combined hwy/city (50/50) commute. I haven't had a chance to do a highway trip yet.

Old 08-10-2008 | 02:26 PM
drewabbs
Neutral
Aggreed Thulewx.
Have them check out the MINI at the dealership, best case get it on a Dyno. That mileage and your lack of enthusiasm suggest a lag on the engine.
If you want more umph, do what all the others do on this site, start your modding.
And as for the genius who put the AC vents at 10 and 2, its for us whos palms like to stay dry inbetween turns.

Good luck....

Old 08-10-2008 | 02:42 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Wow, are you sure you even test drove one? I guess after you've had it for a while your tastes change, but mine went in the opposite direction. I can't stop driving mine and I've owned quite a few different makes over the years. I've had some nicky nack problems with my clubman but it doesn't bother me a bit. I agree with some of the others here, sounds like something is strange with your car getting poor gas mileage. Mine gets 27-29 city and 37 hwy. Sounds like you should sell it and get an M3.

Old 08-10-2008 | 02:51 PM
Apple
6th Gear
Wow I have a MC my first tank got 40.1 MPG my second was a bit less and the third is better.....The AC is fine here in Florida no issues and my fan does run a few minutes after I turn it off... Maybe the car is not for you....switch it .....problem solved

Old 08-10-2008 | 02:52 PM
richs10
5th Gear
I will admit that I had to take three separate test drives of a MINI. But mostly because I had a hard time believing that I liked this car as much as I did. I was coming out of a SUV and had had SUV's for about the previous 12 years. I haven't looked back for a moment so far.

I'm gonna second the idea of getting your MINI checked out. My last SUV had a 5.9 liter performance engine, and my S has as much power as I can use! There really might be something wrong when you consider the gas mileage your getting and a lack of power.

Rich

Old 08-10-2008 | 03:12 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
If you really dislike the car that much and your list of cons is really that much longer than your list of pros then I think you should seriously consider trading the car in on something that you actually like.

I bear no ill will toward you my friend, it just really sounds like the Clubman was not the car you wanted when you bought it. I just went through this with my spouse over his SUV, because he has always driven small German cars, and his is a giant Japanese monster. A car is a big deal. It's your means of getting around, and we spend a lot of time with and in our cars. It's important that you like it and enjoy driving it because it really can impact every other area of your life and is one of the biggest purchases most people make in their lives next to their home.

Choose wisely.

Old 08-10-2008 | 03:20 PM
Uncle_John
6th Gear
Wow. Why did you buy it? the speedo size, seat size, radio, and ride quality must have been obvious in a test drive . . . Sell it and get a Honda.

Best of luck.

Old 08-10-2008 | 04:03 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by jweiss32807
Gas mileage has been terrible – 22 city and 30 highway.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with your city numbers , but it makes me wonder if it has something to do with so much congestion in our area, the constant AC, so many stop signs/lights with no place to really open it up and drive more than a block or two without stopping. From your zip, I have a feeling we live fairly close to each other, and if you do lots of short hops like we do that's all it seems capable of. We're showing even slightly less than that on the OBC around town and frustrating as it is, I can see that it does much better on the open road. We've gotten a high so far of 36.3 (hand calculated) on our automatic S.

Originally Posted by jweiss32807
My wife scratched the fluid silver trim after riding in it one time. ONE time! Couldn’t they have clear coated it with something more durable than lip gloss?

Jon W.
I can help with this one! The same thing happened to us TWICE and we're extremely careful. BTW, not only does it scratch, but it leaves indelible smudges where your skin touches it if you have sunscreen on. Went back to the dealer and told them how easily the door trim scratches/shows marks and had them replace the two upper portions of the door ovals (driver and passenger side). Ours have the dull gray matte finish that comes with the Brushed Alloy trim and has NO finish on it whatsoever. I told them that I've never had a car whose interior trim was so delicate and they acted like no one had ever complained about it before, but they replaced them under warranty. I called a guy who installs the 3M invisible bra and had him apply that material to the upper part of the door ovals and it not only looks great but solved the problem completely! It actually ended up looking just like the Fluid Silver trim on the doors and you can barely see the line where it ends - Well worth the $40 he charged! I'd be happy to give you his name and number if you like (He did a beautiful job!).

Aside from that, if you're truly not happy with the car, I'd bet you could easily sell it (and get most of your money back) to someone who doesn't want to wait and custom order. Good Luck with your decision!

Last edited by 3DogDepot; 08-14-2008 at 04:59 AM. Reason: typo
Old 08-10-2008 | 04:08 PM
ngweibing
6th Gear
so sorry abt yr unhappy expereince on owning a MINI...

like most suggest here... sell it and should be easy cos everyone wan it..if u r not happy, then no use to keep driving it

Old 08-10-2008 | 04:19 PM
jweiss32807
|
2nd Gear
I'm not suprised by most of your responses, with the exception of everyone telling me to get a new car. I guess won't be coming to you guys with marriage advice. I never intended to suggest that I was THAT unhappy with it. But I know the demand is probably there right now such that if I wanted to sell, now would probably be THE ideal time though.

After a 2 month wait, clearly my expetations were sky high. All I'm saying is that the car isn't perfect by any stretch. But it is serving me and my family reasonably well as an alternative vehicle to my wife's SUV. I'm just not in LOVE with it like I was hoping to be... The list of cons may be long, and I acknowldged that most of those may be nitpicky. A lot of the positives you guys rave about, I agree with. But I'm being objective and honest from my perespective of owning the vehicle for over 2 months.

And yes I test drove the car, as I mentioned in my first post. Unless you drive it in the rain, how else are you going to find out that the wiper has ONE intemittent speed? And I know the back of your car gets as dirty as mine even if you won't admit it...

I agree I need to take it in. I just know the dealer is going to tell me nothing is wrong with it. I haven't had the best dealer experience and don't have a lot of confidence in them right now. I also have a friend of a friend who owns a Mini and they messed his car up. But I need to make the time, because I REALLY want to be as excited as you guys about this car.

BTW, on these boards I have seen some really fantastic looking Mini's. I'm amazed at the variety and expressions of one's self you can put into it.

Jon W.

Old 08-10-2008 | 04:26 PM
nclin
2nd Gear
Wow. Are you seriously talking about a Clubman S? I've had my Clubman S for two weeks. I now have 1300 miles on it. My only concern is that I don't seem to know how to get out of it because it is such a joy to drive!

I consistently get 35 MPG and I am not shy about accelerating aggressively!
I admit, I would not get the cloth seats. I splurged for the Carbon Black Leather and absolutely LOVE IT;
No problems with the ride, car is quiet, upgraded stereo system is great for my needs. Sun roof is the cat's a--.

I just drove through a major thunder storm a deluge of rain and hail and my MINI with runflats performed exceptionally. Many people pulled over... I motored on.
6'3" hubbie comfie for once in a small car.

Old 08-10-2008 | 04:34 PM
Calicoskies
3rd Gear
I'm sorry you are so disappointed. I guess thats why there are so many flavors of cars to choose from, Mini is not for everyone. We are extremely happy with ours, but then its the first new car for us since 1999! And we don't have to drive an Astro van anymore, so its like heaven.

We have a MCCSa and are thrilled to bits with it. For some contrast to your points:

1. Here in NC we are getting about 26-27mpg with a/c and traffic and driving like idiots. Haven't done hwy driving yet.
2. We had one speaker rattling, hubby fixed it by moving the speaker grill around, it wasn't actually the speaker.
3. Our a/c runs on max all the time and it cools extremely well in NC heat. Takes only about 1min to cool the car after sitting in the sun for awhile. For my position, the vents are in the perfect place. We did put up the Stramosphere sunroof shades, they work great.
4. I do not experience any glare on my speedo or dials, have you cleaned them with Clarity or another quality glass cleaner and a microfiber?
5. My husband and I love the sport seats with the Hot Chocolate lounge leather, they not only look lovely but also are very comfortable for our bodies and driving styles. They seem to hug me.
6. Our Clubbie's fan does go for a few minutes after a long drive. We just walk away, no biggie.
7. After extensive detailing in and out, we haven't experienced any issues with build quality or materials. Everything is pieced together very nicely and looks real sharp, I would ask the dealer about issues that don't fit right. We have cream colorline, chrome interior, english oak and piano black. Piano black is the worst for smudges.
8. For my audio-ignorant ears, the radio is sufficient. I have heard better, but it satisfies my auditory needs. I find myself enjoying the sound of my engine often, with radio off. It took a few days to become accustomed to the positioning of the controls, now I can find what I need w/out looking.
9. I found lots to put in my little nooks and crannies: on the barn doors I have an auto emergency kit in one and a small bottle of QD and a microfiber in the other. My Noah car cover fits perfect in the "basement" of the boot. I have a small flashlight, microfiber and my sunglasses in the "secret" space, my manuals, phone chargers, assorted napkins/straws and a few cds in the glove box. The door spots are useless, to shallow for more than a chapstick.
10. ITA w/you that the barn doors are nice, I love them. Its very easy for me to load groceries and stuff back there.

I hope you either grow to love your Clubbie or find another car that makes you happy!

Quick Reply: R55 Is anyone else as disappointed with their MINI purchase as I am?