R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 aux in

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 10:52 AM
ZekeDog
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aux in

Do all the clubman's have an aux input for the stereo?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:16 AM
trbasil
2nd Gear
yes

Old 08-11-2008, 11:31 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
Really? If I have the ipod kit, is there still an aux in somewhere, or does the kit take the place of it?

Old 08-11-2008, 11:42 AM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
Dont know about an Ipod kit, but if you look in the center storage area the Aux in is in there on the top surface. I think if you have convenience package there will be a USB port there as well..
I use my Aux with the Ipod shuffle, it works great..long hours of just music!

Old 08-11-2008, 12:52 PM
jimfarley
2nd Gear
Here's my understanding, but it's a bit confusing to follow the options, so check with your MA:

- All Mini's have an AUX input now. Used to be an option. If you don't order any other related options, it will be in the glove box.

- If you get the USB/iPod option, you get a USB port added, and the USB and AUX ports are installed below the center console.

- If you get the "phone prep" option (or whatever they are calling it these days), the USB port is moved to inside the armrest. Not sure about the AUX input.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:59 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
So, the AUX port will take your iPOD; if you didn't get the convience package, you have to use your iPOD to change tunes, no the steering wheel?

Old 08-11-2008, 06:18 PM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
I did not order the option so it is not in the glove box the AUX is located in the center console. I do not have a USB input.
Yes I have a Ipod shuffle connected to the AUX, and I utilize the forward and reverse button on the shuffle to get through my selections.

Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 AM
Lightbringer
2nd Gear
The AUX in is on all MINI's....for me its below the center console in that little hole they call storage or whatever it is for. I think this is the standard location for all the cars if I recall.

for $20 you can get an AUX cable for a place like best buy or Circuit city or whatever (i got mine for 20 - 3' monster cable one) some have cheaper ones, but they're typically longer and lesser quality so they might not last as long or you might have trouble/annoyance hiding the cord in your car.

You still need to use the iPod for the song control, but volume can be done on MFSW or on the volume ****. I like it a lot, and the cupholder on the driver side is the PERFECT location for the ipod if you remove the ash tray (who smokes anymore anyways?).

Just my $0.02.

Enjoy motoring. For $1000, i'll deal with the 3' of cable any day. Sound quality is good too.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:34 AM
Robin Casady
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
There are basically three iPod options for all 2nd Gen MINIs (R56 Coupe, Clubman, 2009 Convertible).

1. Standard: AUX input in the cubby at the bottom of the dash stack. Buy a Ipod Dock Conn To 3.5MM Cable for $10 to $20 and control it from the iPod. You will be able to adjust volume with the MFSW. The iPod will run off of its own battery. You can use a cable with a 3.5mm mini stereo plug on each end. It plugs into the headphone port instead of the dock port. Reports are that the sound quality isn't as good.

Or, buy a dock from Belkin, Griffin, or other company that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and has an output for AUX. This will charge the iPod, but still no more MFSW control than volume.

2. Bluetooth/iPod option: comes with a USP port next to AUX in. It should also come with a Y cable that connects to the iPod and has one cable for the USB and one for the AUX. This charges the iPod, allows control of Next and Previous (as well as volume) with the MFSW, and plays through the AUX input. If you have the NAV, you will see a listing of tracks on the NAV screen from the current playlist.

This is better than option 1, but your iPod is in plain view. So, you have to take it apart and hide it every time you park, to avoid temptation to thieves.

3. iPod Integration:
puts the iPod in the secret compartment. Charges, and allows the same control as USB. Some claim that the sound is better than the AUX. It goes through the CD Changer input. So, you still have the AUX available for other devices.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:46 AM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
Sound quality is the same as I would expect from the radio. I did have to "balance" the song volumes in Itunes so that they don't fluctuate from song to song. I got my cable from Radio Shack..it works just fine...no need for "special" cables. On the shuffle plugs right into the earphone plug. Songs are advanced through the shuffle, but I have mine set on random. Also, don't forget to turn off the shuffle when leaving the car..the battery on the shuffle will run down.

Old 08-12-2008, 01:47 PM
jimfarley
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Robin Casady
There are basically three iPod options for all 2nd Gen MINIs (R56 Coupe, Clubman, 2009 Convertible).

1. Standard: AUX input in the cubby at the bottom of the dash stack. Buy a Ipod Dock Conn To 3.5MM Cable for $10 to $20 and control it from the iPod. You will be able to adjust volume with the MFSW. The iPod will run off of its own battery. You can use a cable with a 3.5mm mini stereo plug on each end. It plugs into the headphone port instead of the dock port. Reports are that the sound quality isn't as good.

Or, buy a dock from Belkin, Griffin, or other company that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket and has an output for AUX. This will charge the iPod, but still no more MFSW control than volume.

2. Bluetooth/iPod option: comes with a USP port next to AUX in. It should also come with a Y cable that connects to the iPod and has one cable for the USB and one for the AUX. This charges the iPod, allows control of Next and Previous (as well as volume) with the MFSW, and plays through the AUX input. If you have the NAV, you will see a listing of tracks on the NAV screen from the current playlist.

This is better than option 1, but your iPod is in plain view. So, you have to take it apart and hide it every time you park, to avoid temptation to thieves.

3. iPod Integration:
puts the iPod in the secret compartment. Charges, and allows the same control as USB. Some claim that the sound is better than the AUX. It goes through the CD Changer input. So, you still have the AUX available for other devices.
Nice summary - one correction, though. The USB/iPod option (2 in your list) displays the track list whether you have the NAV option or not. Without the NAV, the tracks are shown in the radio display.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:09 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
I have the iPod/Bluetooth -- my favorite thing about the interior of the car.

The only drawback is that the navigation on the stereo can't overcome the shortcomings of the iPod itself. I sure wish I could choose with an alphabetical navigation list like I get with my cell phone address book.

As is, I get tired of scrolling. As a result, I play a lot of Aerosmith. They're at the beginning of the list.