R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Limited Slip Differential

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limited Slip Differential

I'm still in the process of building my Clubman and I'm still stuck on whether to get the base or the S (I'm hopefully test driving both on Sat). However, the question currently on hand is if I get the S, which is likely more car than I need already, is it advisable to get the LSD? I may try a track day one day, but I don't need to build a car around that, otherwise the car will be used daily as a city commuter (and no daily freeways).

Any thoughts? Does it help for slick conditions or just when cornering at high speed?

Any help is appreciated!

Old 08-14-2008, 10:49 AM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
I have been driving my Clubman since February and I love it. I kept up with MINI S's thrashing through the mountains of Colorado even though they pull me in the straights. I have told others to get the Clubman if they want good fuel mileage but now I will only tell them to the S. I test drove a Clubman S at MINIS In The Mountains and I can't believe the difference. There was terrible torque steer but I strongly believe that if you get a LSD option, you will clear up that problem pretty well.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Thanks for the reply and the insight. I read mixed thoughts about LSD helping with torque steer. Just hypothetically speaking, if the LSD did not help, so the torque steer remained the same, would you still want and recommend the S?

Old 08-14-2008, 01:48 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Coopdy
Thanks for the reply and the insight. I read mixed thoughts about LSD helping with torque steer. Just hypothetically speaking, if the LSD did not help, so the torque steer remained the same, would you still want and recommend the S?
You list that you live in the Pacific Northwest. If you get any snow that sticks around for a few days or get frequent snow then IMO you should definitely have the the LSD. I have found in cars that have Dynamic Stability Control or any sort of traction control that they do not always work in snow. Sometimes The traction control needs to be turned off. When the traction control is turned off it is best to have some type of LDS so that you do not get single wheel spin which also will not get you anywhere. But with the LDS at least you can get two wheels spinning and get somewhere, al be it slowly but at least you are moving.

Just my .02

Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 PM
ftttuhzbmcs
5th Gear
You can't go wrong with LSD. Also, even if LSD didn't help torque steer, I would still get the S. It is too fun! Still not enough for me to trade mine in though. I love my fuel mileage.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:21 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Thanks schatzy62, seems like a valid point and justified for the additional $500.

Now I just have to justify the need of the S to myself . My husband is far too practical and tells me the base would be plenty enough car for me and I'm sure in a way he's right, but the last thing I want is to spend nearly $30K (taxes, etc), and wish that I had spent a little more. Neither he nor I work on cars so I don't know if that affects the decision making at all. Sorry, all of this would have been decided nearly two months ago (before all this deliberation) when I first entered the wait list and told my MA that I wanted the NFR Clubman.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:13 PM
jweiss32807
2nd Gear
I have an S with LSD. When I test drove the car that didn't have LSD, I did notice the torqe steer. In my car, it's there, but I don't know that I notice it as much. I haven't driven them back to back, which would clearly be the best way to find out.

I like having it. I have felt it pull me out of corners under brisk driving. There is nothing worse than having a tire break loose coming out of a corner because you are too agressive with the throttle. If you are considering spirited track racing at some point, I would definetly add it.

Interesting side point is that the JCW isn't available with the mechanical LSD. Not sure if it is a power thing, or if the "electronic" LSD is really that effective and it saves a few pounds.

It sounds like an option you should strongly consider given your preference. Its also one of those things you can't easily add later.

Jon W.

Old 08-14-2008, 04:36 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now I just have to justify the need of the S to myself . My husband is far too practical and tells me the base would be plenty enough car for me and I'm sure in a way he's right, but the last thing I want is to spend nearly $30K (taxes, etc), and wish that I had spent a little more. Neither he nor I work on cars so I don't know if that affects the decision making at all. Sorry, all of this would have been decided nearly two months ago (before all this deliberation) when I first entered the wait list and told my MA that I wanted the NFR Clubman.
I got the S because I refused to "settle". I was going to get everything I wanted come hell or high water! (of course, I don't have to justify my purchases to anyone, and that helps, LOL! I feel your pain there! )

It never even occured to me to get the LSD, and quite franky, I don't need it. I zip around many a corner at 50 MPH and the car handles just fine. I also don't think the torque steer is a big deal, either. It's not like the car is thrown wildly out of line. It pulls a little, and you steer to correct it. No problemo. I hardly ever drive in the snow, so I don't have an issue there, either.

The other tough decision is choosing your color, since that gorgeous NFR is not available in the S! I think you know what I'd recommend....

Old 08-14-2008, 04:53 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
How much is it to get installed afterwards?I have the DSC but not LSD.The more i read about this torque steer,I'm getting worried.I dont want to wad up the car cause of handling issues

Old 08-14-2008, 05:21 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by clnconcpts
How much is it to get installed afterwards?I have the DSC but not LSD.The more i read about this torque steer,I'm getting worried.I dont want to wad up the car cause of handling issues
Yes torque steer does exist and many people over state it as a problem IMHO.

Unless you are driving full throttle from every stop light you probably will not notice it. As for hard acceleration on bumpy roads yes you will definitely feel it but it is controlable IMHO.

As for adding it after the fact, rather expensive

The car will handle just fine as long as you do not floor it every time you touch the gas pedal, hands when you do just make sure you have tow hands on the steering wheel, oh that should be the case unless you are shifting.

Old 08-14-2008, 05:43 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Yes torque steer does exist and many people over state it as a problem IMHO.

Unless you are driving full throttle from every stop light you probably will not notice it. As for hard acceleration on bumpy roads yes you will definitely feel it but it is controlable IMHO.

As for adding it after the fact, rather expensive

The car will handle just fine as long as you do not floor it every time you touch the gas pedal, hands when you do just make sure you have tow hands on the steering wheel, oh that should be the case unless you are shifting.
Damn,I should have spent the nominal price of $500 then

Old 08-14-2008, 05:45 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
It's really not that bad at all, clnconcpts. Are you gonna race it or something?

Old 08-14-2008, 05:57 PM
jumboshrimp
2nd Gear
I test drove both and under my kind of normal driving conditions (mix of back twisty roads and limited highway use) I found little difference. The regular Cooper was plenty zippy for me and I felt very comfortable that the non S was enough car for me. Also, I loved the Nightfire Red and it isn't offered in the S. Given all that, I ended up ordering the Non S and had more money to add lots of goodies.

So Coopdy, you are thinking of abandoning me in the NFR club?? I am so sad! There are so few of us.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:07 PM
clnconcpts
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
It's really not that bad at all, clnconcpts. Are you gonna race it or something?
Not at all,I just love the curvy mountain roads by my house.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Joep
6th Gear
Ha ha ha this is a great thread. I have the Clubman S with LSD. A couple of thoughts - you said that the S maybe too much for you. Not sure what that means because the car is so much fun that I can't think of it as too much. An S is extremely managable to drive. It's not an animal - it's doesn't overwhelm you. I highly recommend an S and I recommend the LSD. I had an 05 MCS and I wish I had it. The car does have some torque steer but it would have been worse without the LSD. Taking off in the rain - no problem. Taking turns - definitely no problem!!!

If you can justify it - do it. That way it is a factory installed unit and not an aftermarket that maybe more expensive.

just my .02 cents.

Old 08-14-2008, 06:12 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
No worries, then! I live in the mountains, too!

Old 08-14-2008, 08:44 PM
MaxGSeeker
3rd Gear
The LSD will certainly improve traction when powering aggressively through turns. It will also help reduce the chance of being stuck due to one wheel spinning on a slick road surface.

Still there is a price to pay for this performance and it goes beyond the $500 cost of the LSD.

When going over bumps the LSD will transfer traction back and forth between the front wheels with a resulting side to side pull. If you don't want to always drive with a firm grip on the steering you could end up in a violent swerve when you least expect it. Any steering imbalances due to wear and tear will also be magnified whereas the standard diff will not interact with these.

The LSD will tend to increase the steering force required in a turn once it starts to transfer power requiring a little more attention by the driver.

I have the LSD and would say that if I didn't buy it for performance only then I probably would not order it. If you plan to drive mostly passively and are not concerned about an occasional loss of traction on slippery surfaces then it may cause more pain than gain. The DSC will do a lot more for keeping control in these situations.

Keep in mind I have only driven about 500 miles on my new Clubman, but I will say taking turns fast was not a restriction for the break-in period! I have not had any wheel hop during hard cornering and I expect once I encounter rain the performance will be outstanding compared to the open diff. I have however experienced rather severe side to side darting when I hit bumps going straight while not accelerating. To compensate I learned to always hold the steering firm, even when not pushing the performance. I bought the car primarily for performance so I would still buy the LSD today, but I wouldn't advise it to all.

Here is an excellent link about the LSD pifalls:

http://www.minimania.com/web/SCatago...0/ArticleV.cfm

Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Are you racing your Clubman on mountain roads every day?
If not, LSD may not be necessary.
Save the funds to upgrade with aftermarket speakers.
(remember that last line.)

Old 08-14-2008, 11:17 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Thank you all for all the great comments! What a great club and a great group of people. Every time I consider another car (the wait time that they have at my local MINI will drive anyone to consider every option), I think of this group and how no other car can pool such a group.

It would be great if the MINI site asked newbies like myself questions of my use/intention/goals and matched with all the features. Kinda like an eHarmony of cars

Old 08-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
I got the S because I refused to "settle". I was going to get everything I wanted come hell or high water! (of course, I don't have to justify my purchases to anyone, and that helps, LOL! I feel your pain there! )

The other tough decision is choosing your color, since that gorgeous NFR is not available in the S! I think you know what I'd recommend....
Lol, yes but if I got a Chocolate one, my husband has already said he'd name it Chocolate Rain (google the youtube video if you don't know this reference) and I'm not sure I could live with this . I don't "have" to justify it with my husband as I'm the one paying for it, though it's nice to have him onboard -- I know I wouldn't have any trouble with that one he drives it.

Old 08-14-2008, 11:40 PM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by jumboshrimp
So Coopdy, you are thinking of abandoning me in the NFR club?? I am so sad! There are so few of us.
You haven't lost me yet! No other color in the lineup moves me as much as the NFR -- simply gorgeous in my opinion.

Oh, and sorry everyone for the multiple posts -- I don't know how to quote different posts in one reply so I guess I'll have to look at the help section.

Old 08-15-2008, 01:17 AM
Coopdy
4th Gear
Originally Posted by MaxGSeeker
To compensate I learned to always hold the steering firm, even when not pushing the performance. I bought the car primarily for performance so I would still buy the LSD today, but I wouldn't advise it to all.

Here is an excellent link about the LSD pifalls:

http://www.minimania.com/web/SCatago...0/ArticleV.cfm
Thanks MaxGSeeker for all the explanation and the link (it's a great read). I appreciate your first hand experience and I think that it has helped me to save $500 : ) (even further closing the s, non s gap). I think it probably serves a wonderful purpose, but at some costs for an every day driver like me who might be driving with one hand holding the wheel and the other my latte (is that sacrilegious in MINIland?) .

Thanks again everyone.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:37 AM
ART ED
4th Gear
I have driven the clubmanS with and without the LSD and I definately prefer it. I tend to be a very aggressive driver and I can't imagine someone who owns a mini drives passively? Diff. strokes for different folks I guess. On the upside, super good traction in the rain on my ClubmanS. There is definitely an issue when shifting while going over bumps as the LSD searches for traction and I actually find this fun to do. The vehicle does a little wiggle but grabs quickly when going over a bump while shifting quickly. I would imagine this is due to the LSD, but maybe not. Either way, for $500, it is a good bang for the buck that would certainly cost a lot more as an afterthought later. If anything, having the comfort to know you have more traction in rain or snow is nice to have.

Old 08-15-2008, 04:45 AM
PepperSClubman
2nd Gear
The only downside to the LSD is the cost. But at $500 this represents a great value. The open diff still exhibits torque-steer, wheel-hop and other kinds of squirrelliness. I couldn't get it (LSD) in my auto but if you're getting a stick S you're missing out on a $500 performance upgrade that is absolutely worth the money. It would cost you thousands to retrofit one. Get it from the factory.

Old 08-15-2008, 05:27 AM
Joep
6th Gear
You haven't lost me yet! No other color in the lineup moves me as much as the NFR -- simply gorgeous in my opinion
Slighty OT - Coopdy... I wasn't a fan of NFR until I went to pick up Elphie. There was a NFR convertible sitting behind mine when I went to the dealership. It was kinda funny, I was drooling at my car, thinking my wife was watching me with some degree of embarrassment, all the while she was actually admiring the NFR convertible. Today, my wife wants a clubman and she's saying it will be NFR. In person NFR is fantastic, I love the rich color. I'm not a big fan of that color on the configurator, but standing next to it - wow!!!

Quick Reply: R55 Limited Slip Differential