R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Roof rails vs. roof rack

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 06:28 PM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Otra
Please keep us all posted as to what will work on these.
Originally Posted by burbankianmini
i hope you do not mind sharing with the community thanks as i need a rack on my car as i am handicapped with a 14 month old thanks
Originally Posted by Duncan Maio
Partsman:
I am picking my Clubman up Monday or Tuesday. If it's still there, feel free to see what fits. Let everyone know.
Hopefully Tuesday, this way if I have one, I can see if/how it fits.

Otra and burbankian...don't worry, I will post whatever we figure out so everyone will know.

Old 09-30-2008, 05:33 AM
elegantmini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aesthetically-- personally on the Clubman I think its kind of weird to have both the Dunes and the Rails running parallel to each other. A bit cluttered for me.
I agree zeddy, but clearly we're in the minority. Thanks all for keeping the comments coming.

135 days and counting...

Old 09-30-2008, 05:54 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
From the part description for the roof rails and the design note i have about them they are very very close to the BMW 5 series design. Basically just a different size for the car.

The Low Rider from Yakima should fit it just fine the get some bars that don't hang over the roof to far.

http://www.yakima.com/Product.aspx?Number=8000118

I use these on my 5 series wagon
I am a Yakima user for many years and use their systems for mostly local utility / construction loads. On the highway the round bar seems to generate some sort of wind turbulence noise. I have several pair of bar lenghts so changing to another brand is not my 1st choice. Any suggestions on Yakima solutions that will mitigate the noise issue, or alternate brands with an equal quality and strenght, but with a more aerodynamic cross bar? My R-55 (coming) has the sunroof so noise is a concern to me. Thanks ajm

Old 09-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
There was a BMW X5 at the dealer when I picked up my MINI the roof rails are a match with the R55 as far as using the thule or yakima mounts.

Old 09-30-2008, 07:54 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
I don't have a base system in stock for a 3-series touring...and I think Duncan is picking up his car tomorrrow.

Old 09-30-2008, 08:34 AM
Duncan Maio
1st Gear
Partsman: I am still shooting for this afternoon - does she have plates yet? I promise to bring her back if you want to test-fit some parts

Old 09-30-2008, 09:05 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Originally Posted by Duncan Maio
Partsman: I am still shooting for this afternoon - does she have plates yet? I promise to bring her back if you want to test-fit some parts
You'll have to call Laura(ext 4770) about the plates.

As far as the base system...I can order one under your name(don't worry, you will be under no obligation to buy it) if that's ok. I'll have it for Thursday, you can come in any time after that and we can see if it will fit.
One thing though...I am off this Saturday. We can shoot for Thursday or Friday this week...if not, it will have to wait until next week.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:31 AM
Duncan Maio
1st Gear
No rack for me - I'm just offering up the car for a test fit.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:02 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
I am a Yakima user for many years and use their systems for mostly local utility / construction loads. On the highway the round bar seems to generate some sort of wind turbulence noise. I have several pair of bar lenghts so changing to another brand is not my 1st choice. Any suggestions on Yakima solutions that will mitigate the noise issue, or alternate brands with an equal quality and strenght, but with a more aerodynamic cross bar? My R-55 (coming) has the sunroof so noise is a concern to me. Thanks ajm
As i do not have rook rails on my car i can not comment on the yakima/thule cross bars on a Mini.

I alos have a sunroof in my Mini and find that the OEM Roof Rack does generate some noise but most of the noise is from what ever is attached to the rack.

I do though have this style rails on my 525iT wagon and have yakima round bars fitted. There is some noise but very little. what i find makes the most noise is what ever is attached to it i.e. bike, kayak, box. These items cause much more noise than the cross bars do.

Anyone else want to weigh in on this one.

Old 09-30-2008, 10:17 AM
burbankianmini
1st Gear
Originally Posted by Mr Ray
There was a BMW X5 at the dealer when I picked up my MINI the roof rails are a match with the R55 as far as using the thule or yakima mounts.
so if this is the case i can go to bmw buy the rails and install them myself??

Old 09-30-2008, 12:46 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks for your observations, Mr. Ray.

No, burbankianmini, you can not go to BMW to buy the roof rails, but you should be able to buy the appropriate Clubman roof base rack with the new "retrofit" and install it yourself, according to everything I have been told. The info on this has been posted on the never ending roof rack thread.

Old 09-30-2008, 02:03 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
so if this is the case i can go to bmw buy the rails and install them myself??
No they are not a actual physical match for size or dimensions, just that they match the same design style.

Also the from the reports i am hearing out of Mini there is an extra support bracket on the roof for these that is not there on the 2008 models.

Old 09-30-2008, 03:04 PM
burbankianmini
1st Gear
so no roof rail for an 08?

Old 09-30-2008, 03:17 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Nope, no roof rails because they are factory installed options only - for the 2009, but you can get a roof rack base that is removable and they've fixed the issues that apparently were there for some portion of the 2008 Clubman...check out that other thread when you have a few hours. Just kidding...but you can scroll back a page or two on it.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:00 AM
moe-jiller
3rd Gear
so no roof rail for an 08?
Companys like SURCOinc.com sell what they call Adapters for aftermarket roof storage systems. The "Adapter" is a pair of aluminum rails designed to be fastened to the roof. The rails are very similar to the OEM rails on my 1995 Ford Explorer. Their rails come in three lenghts and carry the part numbers R3600, R5300, and R6200 - the number after the R is the lenght in inches.
Before the option 386 - Roof Rails were announced for the MY09 JCW clubman I was about to order this systen for a MY08 order. I waited for the MY09 and went the OEM route. I used Yakima towers on the Explorer and carried many heavy construction loads. Without the under roof load spreaders the R55 roof may or may not be up to the task of carrying sheets of Drywall or 3/4" Plywood, - but how much weight are you really going to but on the system? (retorical question).

Old 10-01-2008, 12:37 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by moe-jiller
Companys like SURCOinc.com sell what they call Adapters for aftermarket roof storage systems. The "Adapter" is a pair of aluminum rails designed to be fastened to the roof. The rails are very similar to the OEM rails on my 1995 Ford Explorer. Their rails come in three lenghts and carry the part numbers R3600, R5300, and R6200 - the number after the R is the lenght in inches.
Before the option 386 - Roof Rails were announced for the MY09 JCW clubman I was about to order this systen for a MY08 order. I waited for the MY09 and went the OEM route. I used Yakima towers on the Explorer and carried many heavy construction loads. Without the under roof load spreaders the R55 roof may or may not be up to the task of carrying sheets of Drywall or 3/4" Plywood, - but how much weight are you really going to but on the system? (retorical question).
These aftermarket parts you are talking about could possibly be used i have used something similar on another vehicle.

But there is one major problem in doing so. It is called Air Bags. They are in the way.

The Side Curtain Air Bags on the clubman run the full length of the car between the headliner and the roof in the area where the mounting holes and plate would be for the roof rails. The last thing Mini would want is for someone to drill the roof and then an Air Bag when trying to do an install. for the OEM Roof Rails there are also some extra mounting plate installed in the car for the rails from what i am told. I have not actually taken a headliner out of a new clubman to see for myself.

So even to install the rails it would take removing the entire headliner and the air bags to do this install.

So for the OEM roof rails, I do not see why it can not be possible in the future but again at this time the parts are not available. And with the Air Bag situation it may be a while before Mini does anything about this.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:36 PM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
schatzy62

Are the air bags in the headliner or in the roof support columbs? I haven't look at an '08 clubman to notice where they were but on the '09 the blow out plugs are in the roof support columbs and in the front seats I count 12 airbags in the car.

Ray

Old 10-02-2008, 06:34 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
schatzy62

Are the air bags in the headliner or in the roof support columbs? I haven't look at an '08 clubman to notice where they were but on the '09 the blow out plugs are in the roof support columbs and in the front seats I count 12 airbags in the car.

Ray
Those "Blow Out Plugs" as you call them are only plastic covers that go over screw locations to hold the pillar covers in place.

Now having taken the B-Pillar and C-Pillar covers off there are not airbags underneath them. The side curtain air bags are located between the headliner and the roof.

The front seats do have air bags in them and the dash has an air bag for the passenger, and the steering wheel has an air bag for the driver.

Old 10-02-2008, 06:57 AM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62
Those "Blow Out Plugs" as you call them are only plastic covers that go over screw locations to hold the pillar covers in place.

Now having taken the B-Pillar and C-Pillar covers off there are not airbags underneath them. The side curtain air bags are located between the headliner and the roof.

The front seats do have air bags in them and the dash has an air bag for the passenger, and the steering wheel has an air bag for the driver.
Wonder if there mounted in the "dunes" (if that what there called) that are in the roof. I have to pick up a set of mounts because im now wondering if the dunes being so close to the rails are going to cause an interfearance fit.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:12 PM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
Wonder if there mounted in the "dunes" (if that what there called) that are in the roof. I have to pick up a set of mounts because im now wondering if the dunes being so close to the rails are going to cause an interfearance fit.
THULE CROSSROAD RAILING FOOT 450 or 450R will work with the roof rails.
The bulk of this foot sits on top of the rail and a rubber coated steel band slides under the rail. I will post pics later this week when I get a chance to mount them.

Schatzy62: is checking on the Yakima dimensions.

PARTSMAN: BMW makes a Rack that clamps on to the X3 X5 roof rails what is the spacing between the roof rails on those vehicles and is that spacing the same on the mini? If its the same the BWM Roof Rack should work.

Old 10-04-2008, 04:12 AM
Otra
6th Gear
Thanks for the news Mr. Ray.

Old 10-04-2008, 11:45 AM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
I hope this helps people out with trying to fit a rack to their roof rails.

This picture is from my BMW but the Yakima foot will fit the same way onthe Mini Roof Rail.

1. The foot sticks down 1/2" below the bottom side of the rail

2. The foot sticks out the side of the rail 2" total.

3. The bottom side of the rail on my BMW is 1-1/8" above the roof.

Here is the dimension on a picture.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:55 PM
wolst
1st Gear
I'm planning to use a Yakima setup like Schatzy62's BMW. Expect my Clubman within the week. Looking to buy the Yakima setup today or tomorrow. What length crossbar should I buy?

Old 10-04-2008, 05:07 PM
Mr Ray
3rd Gear
There is about 3/4 of an inch clearance between the rail and the top of the dune, so the Yakima foot should just fit. Would not go longer than a 50" rail other wise you end up hitting your head on them. Thule makes extension rails that slide in and out of the rails as needed. I beleive Yakima makes a simular set up. Just make sure you can try or return anything you get. Sometimes you can purchase kits that have feet, rails. and locks cheaper than buying the individual parts. While the systems are expensive they can be transferred to other vehicles simply by changing the foot. I've had mine since 1975.

NOTE: Schatzy 62 had mention that he had trouble getting them off after a season of road salt. It is suggested by thule to use a wax (like the stuff you use on skis ,snow boards, surfboards) on the rail before sliding on the foot. Some setups require to loosen the foot and slide it back on one side to remove the rack from the roof rails.

Last edited by Mr Ray; 10-04-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:31 PM
wolst
1st Gear
Thanks Mr. Ray.

Yakima does not seem to have adjustable length bars. My choices are 48" or 58". Can you tell me the measurement from the outside of one rail to the outside of the other rail? It sounds like 48" may be the right size, but I want to make sure that 48" is not too short.

Quick Reply: R55 Roof rails vs. roof rack