R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Tire Sensors Throwing False Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008 | 11:54 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
well i just got around to checking the tire pressure in my tires ... and all 4 were consistenly down to about 28-29 psi!!!

I checked them one other time since taking delivery and they were all ok. That was maybe 2 months ago.

should check them more often

Old 10-05-2008 | 03:05 PM
Otra
6th Gear
OK, now I will finally go check my tire pressure. I mean to all the time, but keep forgetting.

Old 10-05-2008 | 03:30 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
We typically check once a month, and they are always down a few pounds (which is more than any other cars I've had). Lately, the TPMS has been going off randomly and when we check them at that point they are down again, one slightly more than the other three. Seems like they can't even hold pressure for a couple weeks lately without setting off the system. We've been resetting them at 40psi (2 more than our dealer-recommended 38psi and 5 more than our initial 35psi in order to, hopefully, account for the slow leak as well as improve our "city" fuel economy). Don't know what's up with that as there's been no real change in conditions, but it's becoming annoying and if it continues, we'll mention to the dealer.

Old 10-08-2008 | 03:24 PM
laurendesigns
3rd Gear
Happens to me ALL the time. That dang sensor is always flashin on and off. So to add to this thread...I have the bug too

Old 10-10-2008 | 06:55 AM
Aluvendale
2nd Gear
Mine did the same thing this morning (That's why I'm here!). My car is NOT garage kept, so I'm not sure about the change in temp thing. I checked the pressure and it seemed fine. I'll see if anything changes tonight or tomorrow and let you all know. I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Old 10-10-2008 | 07:18 AM
Otra
6th Gear
This kind of thing is definitely not normal.

Old 10-10-2008 | 12:27 PM
Prost
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
This kind of thing is definitely not normal.
Recall Coming?

Old 10-10-2008 | 12:34 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Oh, I have no idea but normally people's TPMs shouldn't be going off for no reason.. Some on here have found that their individual tire's pressures were off...but others seem to have some kind of TPM poltergeist.

Old 10-11-2008 | 11:41 PM
RaceFace
|
3rd Gear
Another update:

I've been watching the pressure in the tires, checking every week or so and I haven't had it happen since (I have had to add air on 2 occasions). One thing I did do after the last dealer visit is disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes thinking that resetting the 'system' would help. I do this on my other 2 GM cars on a regular basis and I do find that it helps things along....kind of like rebooting a computer. As I stated before, we do not have extreme differences in temperature in SoCal, so I now do not think that temp is a factor. Its my opinion that these sensors are REALLY sensitive and the pressures need to be watched. Kind of weird though, my '07 Trailblazer SS has sensors and has never had this problem, and it sits outside more than the Clubman. Who knows.

I will keep on the updates.

Old 10-14-2008 | 11:55 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
My sensor went off for the first time on my 2007 MCS Cabrio. I purchased the car in July and filled the tires once with no problem. I filled them again last Thursday, Oct 9th just before heading out of town on Friday. I loaded up the car and 10 miles out of town the little chime sounded and the light came on. I drove back home and rechecked the tire pressure. Everything seemed fine. I could not however reset the sensor. I drove over 500 miles over the weekend with no problems. Tire pressure held but I still cannot reset the sensor. Do you have to do something special to reset the sensor? I have tried with the car standing still; with the car moving; with a short push of the button and with a long push of the button. Is there some special technique to resetting the sensor? The little light just continues to glow at me however there has not been another warning chime. Any suggestions?

Old 10-15-2008 | 12:11 AM
matty125
5th Gear
Anytime you add or take away pressure or switch to a smaller tire size you need to reset the tire setting on the OBC. It is explained in the owners manual. I switched to different wheels and tires and I had to reset about 3 months later. Could not figureout why so another NAM'r helped out. No problems since the reset.

Old 10-15-2008 | 04:35 AM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Kikimowse
My sensor went off for the first time on my 2007 MCS Cabrio. I purchased the car in July and filled the tires once with no problem. I filled them again last Thursday, Oct 9th just before heading out of town on Friday. I loaded up the car and 10 miles out of town the little chime sounded and the light came on. I drove back home and rechecked the tire pressure. Everything seemed fine. I could not however reset the sensor. I drove over 500 miles over the weekend with no problems. Tire pressure held but I still cannot reset the sensor. Do you have to do something special to reset the sensor? I have tried with the car standing still; with the car moving; with a short push of the button and with a long push of the button. Is there some special technique to resetting the sensor? The little light just continues to glow at me however there has not been another warning chime. Any suggestions?
Very confusing and annoying for first-time MINI owners, I agree. The best tip I can offer is to have the manual beside you for guidance; start the "resetting" process while sitting in the car with the engine running (by pushing the stalk buttons, as outline in the manual), then begin driving as usual and the car will automatically complete the "reset" on its own while you are driving (usually in about a minute or two). HTH.

Last edited by 3DogDepot; 10-15-2008 at 08:40 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-15-2008 | 08:36 AM
Otra
6th Gear
I have to say that I liked the old style reset button better - it was down by the shifter and hand brake. True it could get leaned on but it was so much easier, in my view, than pushing on the darn stalk button. Oh well.

Old 10-15-2008 | 08:45 AM
tedswoods
5th Gear
Well, add me to the list. Went out to the unheated garage this morning and when I started the MINI, low tire sensor lit (red on dash; yellow in speedo). We had a light frost last night, but we've had bigger temperature fluctuations in the last couple weeks without tripping the TPMS.

I checked the tires quickly, didn't see anything obvious, so I took off for an appointment. In the course of an hour and a half, I drove about 12 miles and back. No change. I checked the tires ~45 minutes later and they were all a little low: ~28psi. Topped 'em all up and reset the system (lights cleared while I was driving slowly down my ~350-ft. driveway).

I'm curious how it will be tomorrow...

(just noticed this is in the Clubman thread...sorry)

Last edited by tedswoods; 10-15-2008 at 08:47 AM. Reason: posted in wrong place?
Old 10-15-2008 | 11:36 AM
Hey Coop
Neutral
What pressures are you guys running

I have'nt had a fualt yet but I also can't find the optimal pressure for the cont 3 contact runflats. checked mine yesterday and they were at 40psi. I've only got 2,300 miles on the car and have never dealt w/ runflats much less sensors.

Old 10-15-2008 | 08:57 PM
Kikimowse
3rd Gear
Many (MINI) thanks

Thank you to all for the feedback and suggestions. I guess three times is the charm! Just a little clearification. My 2007 Cabrio is still the "old" style reset button just below the parking brake and not on the shifter. I could have sworn that I had tried the proper method previously but I guess not since I was not able on two other attempts to reset the sensor. As suggested, I reread my Owner's Manual several times and this morning as I was heading to work, I backed out of the garage, came to a complete stop heading the proper direction. I then held the little reset button down for several seconds and proceeded to move forward at a gentle but steady speed of about five to ten miles per hour. I nearly got giddy when the little yellow light finally went out. I think what might have caused my initial problem was that I had aired the tires, loaded the car with suitcases on one side only rather than evenly distributed (I was picking up another person with suitcases of their own) and I went over a set of rather rough railroad tracks. Sort of the perfect storm so-to-speak. Anyway, thank you everyone and hopefully someone else reading this will be assisted in turning off the sensor when the tires are perfectly fine.
Happy Motoring.

Six days later and the yellow light has not returned. Yea....

Last edited by Kikimowse; 10-22-2008 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-22-2008 | 02:27 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by DragonWagon
My false alarm was actually a nail that come in at a 90 degree angle, parallel with the tread.
TPMS worked great for me.
Originally Posted by DragonWagon
Astra, I recommend doing the Feel Test.
My tires rolled 50 yards and the sensors picked up a nail.
It took minutes to confirm I had a nail. I knew to do this.
I hope you don't have a nail, but roll the car back 3 feet and feel the tread on each tire, then roll back another 3 feet and check again.

Plenty of places will patch a run-flat without question.
Only the dealers say you must replace a run-flat for $375.
Dragon Wagon, have you (or anyone else, for that matter) plugged/patched a run-flat successfully and are you still using that tire? We had the unfortunate luck to pick up a large screw recently which penetrated enough to flatten the tire once we removed it. How much of a risk are we taking by not replacing it? Sure hate to shell out the ridiculous amount for a new one on such a new vehicle, yet don't want to take unnecessary chances with our lives!!! Hubby thinks plugging it should be fine (and is the best way to go considering the cost).

Old 10-22-2008 | 02:54 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Yes, I have plugged a run flat twice. Not sure if it was the same one both times. The first time it was the morning before a serious MINI Run that we did not want to miss! I posted furiously on my regional group's site... Husband zoomed out and got a "plug kit" or whatever it's called and we plugged it ourselves and took off...1000s of miles later narry a problem. A second time I got a nail, I took it to my local gas station and they plugged it for me. No problems.

Old 10-22-2008 | 03:14 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Otra
Yes, I have plugged a run flat twice. Not sure if it was the same one both times. The first time it was the morning before a serious MINI Run that we did not want to miss! I posted furiously on my regional group's site... Husband zoomed out and got a "plug kit" or whatever it's called and we plugged it ourselves and took off...1000s of miles later narry a problem. A second time I got a nail, I took it to my local gas station and they plugged it for me. No problems.
Thanks, Otra, that gives me a bit more confidence. Since we happen to have a plug kit on hand, that's what he plans to use. Otherwise, local gas stations have plugged them for us in the past, but we've never had run-flats before.

Wouldn't mind hearing a few more experiences from other owners...

Old 10-22-2008 | 03:50 PM
Otra
6th Gear
OK, I went back to look into it a bit more and it appears that as long as the puncture is only in the tread that plugging it is OK. Here's an old thread from another site http://nemini.org/index.php/topic,811.0.html Apparently, I did actually buy a new runflat one time. Read through this short thread and see what you think. Then I'd search the main forums on problems such as this to help you figure out what to do next. Perhaps you might want to have a tire repair place look at it?

Just found another one that underscores that it depends upon where the hole is http://nemini.org/index.php/topic,3073.0.html. Why don't you make a few calls to a tire repair place if your nervous.

Last edited by Otra; 10-22-2008 at 03:53 PM. Reason: another link
Old 10-22-2008 | 04:06 PM
Otra
6th Gear
Scroll down in this thread from MINI2 which is like the bible of all things MINI: http://www.mini2.com/forum/faq.php?f...q_faq_puncture I think it will be helpful.

Old 10-22-2008 | 04:38 PM
xqb3b
3rd Gear
Same thing happened on my wife's new 535xi BMW.... usually garaged, but sat out overnight while she was out of town......took it to BMW dealer and tire pressure was just fine. They told her that change in ambient temperature is causing the problem. By the way, she received EXCELLENT immediate service from the out of town BMW dealer.

Old 10-22-2008 | 04:42 PM
3DogDepot
3rd Gear
Wow, really appreciate all this extra info., Otra! I guess the good news so far is that the puncture is smack in the middle of the tread area which apparently is optimal for repair consideration. I've read through most of your links and will pass the info. on to DH. I think he searched on MINI2, as well as called the dealer so far. I probably will call a couple tire shops as well as Goodyear in the AM. The unfortunate part is that we don't even have 3000 miles on our Clubman yet! Arrgghh...I knew those runflats were gonna be a problem! Thanks so much for all your effort!

Old 10-22-2008 | 04:49 PM
Otra
6th Gear
You are most welcome and best wishes for a positive and inexpensive outcome.

Just adding a note to say that I have not had run flats on my last two MINIs...but I did enjoy the feeling of "safety" that I had with my run flats when I was driving in and out of some iffy areas on a regular basis... Heck, no one wants to have a flat tire and be stuck somewhere....but I now use regular all seasons.

Old 10-22-2008 | 04:57 PM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
I have been getting the TPM in the mornings, the outside temp is now dropping and it has just began. First Monday morning, outside temp at 45. I hit reset, it thinks then TPM comes back. Check tires (in the dark) nothing seems amiss..drive to work. After work come out air temp is now 65, TPM still on, hit reset.."resetting", 4 minutes later TPM goes off. This has now happened every day, it is truly the cold air...TPM sucks!
OBTW, I still need to get the sun roof fixed - a little **** eyed! Oh no, it is beginning to get my old Touareg spirit!

Quick Reply: R55 Tire Sensors Throwing False Warning