R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 What do you categorize a Clubman as?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 01:54 PM
beasleyboy
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
Four MINIs.... Um, NO !! Unless you want to come to the east coast and wash a couple of them for me every week, Clo.

I wouldn't mind. I won't even ask for money. The only thing I'll ask for is the right to take one for a spin each time it's washed!

Old 08-24-2008, 01:54 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Or an M5 wagon, or an M3 wagon, or an E55 wagon, or the Volvo V60R which they don't make anymore.
hahah yah all those too

Clubman might be in the top 20 coolest wagons though

Old 08-24-2008, 02:02 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For now, the Clubman comes with a lower insurance rating because of the Station Wagon classification from the AUTO MAKERS.
(That from my agent, which confirms my experience.)

I didn't buy a Supra when Toyota rolled out a new body style in the 90's because the insurers thought it was a rolling accident waiting to happen. Their rates were sky high.

In the next year, the insurance companies will find out how many Clubman(s?) are in accidents and the repair costs.
After that, they may jack our rates. Time will tell. This is normal with new models.

I looked at the Lexus IS series when beginning my vehicle search in January.
I brought a list of six vehicles I liked to State Farm.
The Lexus IS was the HIGHEST premium, by far, at the time.
...enough ranting.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:01 PM
rexicon
4th Gear
Estate

Old 08-24-2008, 07:23 PM
richs10
5th Gear
The Clubman rates a lower premium because it is a "Shooting Brake".
The Underwriters haven't found many accidents involving that body style lately.

See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting-brake

Old 08-24-2008, 08:04 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
I think this guy's rate just went up....hard to see a banged up brand new clubman!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-...mZ230283180573

Old 08-25-2008, 03:54 AM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by kechman8
I think this guy's rate just went up....hard to see a banged up brand new clubman!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mini-...mZ230283180573

The people who owned this Clubman were posters here on NAM. The car was wrecked when a dealership employee hit someone while taking the car to a local gas station to fill the tank. I think it was in the northeast.

They didn't even know their car had been salvaged when someone posted this link. You can probably find it with a search on the forum.

Update: Found the link: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ealership+ebay

Last edited by richs10; 08-25-2008 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:25 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Wow! That's a really rare Clubman: Four Wheel Drive!!

Old 08-25-2008, 09:36 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hoonu
Wow! That's a really rare Clubman: Four Wheel Drive!!

Plus, it is a 3.0 V6, as well!

Old 08-25-2008, 01:50 PM
kechman8
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
The people who owned this Clubman were posters here on NAM. The car was wrecked when a dealership employee hit someone while taking the car to a local gas station to fill the tank. I think it was in the northeast.

They didn't even know their car had been salvaged when someone posted this link. You can probably find it with a search on the forum.

Update: Found the link: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ealership+ebay
Thanks. Oh wow . So sad that it happened. It's bad enough that we all have to wait months for a Clubman but to get it wrecked like that...

Old 08-25-2008, 02:00 PM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Curious - not starting anything...

It would "appear" that for many NAM'sters (who seem to be, by-and-large, American) that words like "hatchback" and "wagon" are seriously taboo.

I don't want to over-generalize, but reading some of the comments here seem to support this.

Why is that?

I grew up in a family that always had European cars. I, for one, love hatchbacks and wagons. I am not at all offended by the notion of the Clubman being called "a little wagon", or cooler still, a shooting brake. And as far as what the insurance industry categorizes it as - who cares?

MINI Canada refers to the R56 as just the "MINI", though the sales people often say "hatchback". I believe MINI USA calls the R56 a "coupe" or a "hardtop" - come on! Is hatchback that bad a word?

Just curious and honestly, naively interested...

Old 08-25-2008, 02:58 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bentyyc
It would "appear" that for many NAM'sters (who seem to be, by-and-large, American) that words like "hatchback" and "wagon" are seriously taboo.

I don't want to over-generalize, but reading some of the comments here seem to support this.

Why is that?

I grew up in a family that always had European cars. I, for one, love hatchbacks and wagons. I am not at all offended by the notion of the Clubman being called "a little wagon", or cooler still, a shooting brake. And as far as what the insurance industry categorizes it as - who cares?

MINI Canada refers to the R56 as just the "MINI", though the sales people often say "hatchback". I believe MINI USA calls the R56 a "coupe" or a "hardtop" - come on! Is hatchback that bad a word?

I'm sticking with "shooting brake". As in, "Honey, I've had a damn rough week, so I'm taking the shooting brake to work today".

(I imagine this could cause a problem if I worked for the Post Office)

Old 08-25-2008, 04:33 PM
wampa
3rd Gear

Why is that?

You're talking to the nation who made the Camry a best selling car. Yeah, the rice cake on wheels. I can't even believe it comes in a color other than "beige". So you can't exactly expect us to "coolify" a car, even in name.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:37 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear

Why is that?

First time I've heard that the MINI wasn't considered a hatchback in certain circles. What hell is that thing then that pivots from the back of the roof?

Oh ... it's a horizontally hinged combination opaque/transparent panel for aft egress/ingress.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:48 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by lhoboy
First time I've heard that the MINI wasn't considered a hatchback in certain circles. What hell is that thing then that pivots from the back of the roof?

Oh ... it's a horizontally hinged combination opaque/transparent panel for aft egress/ingress.

Old 08-26-2008, 12:03 PM
tkbcruiser
1st Gear
It's a MINI SUV

Old 08-26-2008, 01:45 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
I've never liked trunks (except for the '29 Ford Model A that my grandparents' next-door neighbor had when I was very young.) I've liked hatchbacks since the day I went with my dad to pick up our new '77 Accord. Thought it was cool (for an economy car) then and still do.

My knee-jerk reaction to "station wagon" has more to do with Carol Brady and wood paneling than any car from England.

Having said all that, I don't naturally apply those labels to Minis. Minis are just, well...Minis. There's the short one, the long one, and the convertible. That's how I look at it.

Since I have a Clubman, I don't mind if you say I have the station wagon. However, I think I prefer to skip the labels and say I have a long one.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:41 PM
lhoboy
6th Gear
Originally Posted by NJ Clubman
My knee-jerk reaction to "station wagon" has more to do with Carol Brady and wood paneling than any car from England.

Since I have a Clubman, I don't mind if you say I have the station wagon. However, I think I prefer to skip the labels and say I have a long one.
If they reintroduce the Clubman Woody, will you accept it as a station wagon?

Old 08-30-2008, 06:56 PM
richs10
5th Gear
IT'S ALL ABOUT DEFINITIONS.

THIS IS A STATION WAGON:

THIS IS AN ATTEMPT AT A CLUBMAN WOODY (BUT THE MAGIC MARKER RAN OUT)

THIS IS WHAT I BOUGHT: A SHOOTING BRAKE:

GIVEN THE CHOICE, I THINK CAROL BRADY WOULD DUMP THE KIDS AND CHOOSE THE LAST ONE.

Last edited by richs10; 08-30-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:57 PM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If they reintroduce the Clubman Woody, will you accept it as a station wagon?
Probably not. My guess is that he'd go from "having a long one" to "having a Woody"

Old 08-30-2008, 07:03 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva
Probably not. My guess is that he'd go from "having a long one" to "having a Woody"
NOW, THAT WAS FUNNY!!!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:20 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
I wish I'd thought that up!

Old 08-31-2008, 07:28 PM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
There's no smilie for applause, but you all have made my silly comment the start of something much better.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:26 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
How 'bout these two:

Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 AM
NJ Clubman
3rd Gear
Cool! Thanks, hoonu.

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/scheed/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/scheed/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/scheed/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/scheed/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/scheed/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-4.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: R55 What do you categorize a Clubman as?