R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 manual transmission

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008 | 08:37 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Manual is the way to go, there is nothing like upshifting and controlling the RPMs. It really gives the Mini the full effect. Manual is a lost art, the paddles on the automatic is just not the same. Practice with a friends car if you can, you are going to want to drive your car home.

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:44 PM
beasleyboy
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by HTClubman
Great advice from everyone...You will love the manual, seriously...and you'll get it down, just be patient with yourself. I've been driving stick for over 20 years - even in LA trafffic!
RESPECT! I recall driving in my cousin's uber-sensitive Honda from LA to Berkeley during rush hour. I forgot what model it was but it had the WORST gas pedal of any car I've ever driven. It had no feel whatsoever - totally numb. I felt like I was moving my foot in mid-air so it was tough to find out if I actually was accelerating or not. The gas pedal coupled with the equally numb steering made the car feel like a $16,000 piece of trash. Don't even get me started on how crappy the brake pedal was. Trust me, I know how bad traffic in LA can be. Can you imagine a 17-year-old trying to master LA rush hour? (I believe this was around 1997 or so.) Anyone who can master a stick shift in those conditions is a pro!

Old 08-28-2008 | 08:48 PM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Fo-show my friend.

I currently drive a Honda 5 speed manual and LOVE it. I would imagine someone young (ie, 17 years old) and not experienced with a stick shift, could be challenged...!!

But...with that said, I am waiting for our 6 speed manual pepper white Clubman S...stick is the only way to go...

Old 08-28-2008 | 09:42 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Manual is the only way to go. Paddles on the Auto are not the same. Life is good with a manual...

Old 08-28-2008 | 09:43 PM
HTClubman
5th Gear
Originally Posted by rasputinj
Manual is the only way to go. Paddles on the Auto are not the same. Life is good with a manual...
you are correct, my man...manual is the way we roll

Old 08-28-2008 | 11:28 PM
DrewN
6th Gear
As long as you're not a complete goof with moving your arms and legs in unison (i.e. if you're even halfway coordinated) you'll be comfortable w/ a stick in a matter of 2-3 weeks.

If you're new to manual my comments would be - once you start driving, practice every day. In the beginning you might be nervous and potentially, if given the choice, you'll feel like bailing out. If you ever feel that way fight the urge, force yourself to get behind the wheel and learn. Also, you're going to stall, it's inevitable. When it happens, brush it off, restart the engine and try again, and that's that. I guess what I'm trying to say in a nutshell is, be persistent and practice every day.

Driving standard is very rewarding, once you get a hang of it you'll never go back to automatic (well, at least you'll think twice before doing so). Plus you'll start realizing some of the questionable things some slushbox drivers do (like race to red lights and burn gas just to creep up 2 inches in bumper to bumper traffic).

Last edited by DrewN; 08-28-2008 at 11:45 PM.
Old 08-29-2008 | 04:19 AM
bahollings
3rd Gear
With the manual you are much more involved in the whole "driving experience" in my humble estimation with the auto you just "point and go".

Old 08-29-2008 | 10:30 AM
axelcrash
1st Gear
Originally Posted by beasleyboy
The auto was a whopping $1,100 more! I now freed up that much money to splurge on gasoline or accessories for my Clubman. That's more or less how I looked at it.

That is exactly how I felt about the cost. I would rather option something else out and learn manual then spend the dough on the auto trans. Plus my mom wont be able to drive it and I will get to keep my car.

Old 08-29-2008 | 02:33 PM
napria
2nd Gear
I have to tell you that I was the most "I CAN DO IT MYSELF!!" person there was. No one could teach me anything because I knew it all and the person teaching me would get frustrated and give up.

Early in my marriage I got rid of the car that my dad made me buy right out of college (an auto Chevy Cavalier hatchback... ugh!) and bought a BMW 320i with manual tranny. I did NOT know how to drive a manual and at the time I worked in an office that was situated on a very long, very steep and very busy hill with a traffic light at the top. Bought the car on Friday afternoon. My dear husband taught me how to drive it over the weekend (and we're STILL married! ) and I was able to drive it to and from work, including that hill from that Monday on.

That was one of my favorite cars. My other favorite car was a Saab 900 with a manual. I can't say that I cared one way or another for any of my other cars. Manuals are just FUN!

You'll get the hang of it in no time and you'll be glad you made that decision.

As for me, I'm waiting for my MINI and I'm looking forward to driving a manual again

Old 08-29-2008 | 04:55 PM
MichaelSF
5th Gear
Originally Posted by napria
As for me, I'm waiting for my MINI and I'm looking forward to driving a manual again
I have had a lot of automatics since my last manual tranny car, and I do mean a lot.

Here in San Francisco one needs an automatic because that makes driving the hills super easy. Manual trannies are a drag when stuck on the upward side of a hill. So for these reasons I was going to get a MINI with an automatic, but after reading some criticisms of the early CVTs, I decided on the manual [even though MINI discontinued the CVT in later years. I simply did not trust that MINI would put a dependable alternative to that horrid CVT.]

Getting the MINI with a manual was one of my better car buying decisions.

For one thing, the MINI Getrag transmission is butter smooth when shifting. The quality of the Getrag cannot be beat, IMHO.

Secondly, for the best MINI driving experience one needs to manually shift the gears. Having complete "sports driving" control cannot be had with an automatic. If one wants to simply move forward, stop, go, and stop, an automatic is great, but to drive the MINI as it should be and is capable of being driven, a manual tranny is the only way to go [literally.]

Third, manual shifting is essential on my bone stock MINI [non-S] since I get better acceleration with the 5 speed Getrag. I especially need the faster acceleration a manual gives when merging on to freeways. [Most people drive about 70 to 80 in the slow lane and they don't get out of the slow lane when they see me merging. So getting up to speed is easier with my 5 speed Getrag.]

While maneuvering on the stop-and-go hills of San Francisco remains a hassle, the benefits and fun of driving a MINI with a manual transmission far outweigh the convenience of an automatic.

Last edited by MichaelSF; 08-29-2008 at 05:49 PM.
Old 08-29-2008 | 05:05 PM
HTClubman
5th Gear
MichaelSF has put it well, again. I agree 100% with his getrag, MINI manual, driving exeperience description/assessment.