R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 Questions/oddities after a month with MINI

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008 | 11:33 AM
hoonu
|
5th Gear
Questions/oddities after a month with MINI

Diggin' the car. Great mileage, huge grin factor.

Couple questions for the more experienced Clubman owners:

1) When I unlock the door, I can hear what I believe to be the fuel pump "priming" itself. I assume this is normal.

2) As I open the door, I can hear the CD player spin, I guess looking to see if there's a disc in there so that it's ready to go when you start the car. Anyone else notice this? There's not a disc in there, BTW, and I don't remember this from test drives. Of course, the cars I test drove didn't have convenient access, and may have been unlocked before I got in.

3) When I unlock the splitdoors, the right one doesn't pop all the way open. The left one does. Is this a "feature," or do I need to have them look at the gas strut for the right door?

TIA!

Old 08-24-2008 | 12:04 PM
mrmagoo
3rd Gear
Your question number # 1 - I guess mine does that I just have never heard it..

Number #2 - no mine does not look for a CD, I don't have one in either.

Numer 3 - Only my right door on the barn doors "pops" open a little bit, the left door does nothing I think that is the proper action.

Old 08-24-2008 | 12:07 PM
JGS
3rd Gear
Both doors on mine pop open, but only after I hit the latch on each.

Old 08-24-2008 | 12:20 PM
proximal
4th Gear
1. Yes, I hear that too.
2. See #1. Well, I hear something, may or may not be the CD player. Do you have the factory navigation system?
3. The doors are set up this way. You have the pull the right one slightly, but the left will open on its own after it is unlatched.

Old 08-24-2008 | 02:20 PM
Otra
6th Gear
1. Haven't heard anything.
2. Nope not that either.
3. First push of the rear unlock and my right barn door pops open.

Old 08-24-2008 | 03:42 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by Otra
1. Haven't heard anything.
2. Nope not that either.
3. First push of the rear unlock and my right barn door pops open.
Same here, right door pops open, doesn't swing itself. Left door req's a trigger pull.

Old 08-24-2008 | 06:41 PM
DragonWagon
5th Gear
hoonu, you can use your Convenience Package to open your windows as you approach the car. Hold the fob's unlock button down for a few seconds. They'll drop down.

To roll them up, press and hold the lock button on the door. I learned that one this week on this site. (via LadyG)

Apparently the 'm' on the radio buttons is NOT flying monkey release, but manual channel change. My bad. I really wanted a monkey.

There are so many things to learn and remember.

Old 08-24-2008 | 09:50 PM
hoonu
|
5th Gear
Okay, maybe I didn't ask the question right.

I didn't really mean "when I unlock" the splitdoors. What I meant was this: I usually have the fob in my pocket, walk up and pull on the handle switch. When I do that, the right door pops open, but does not open all the way by itself. In contrast, when I pull on the switch on the left door, it unlatches, and swings all the way open. The same thing happens if I "open" the splitdoors with the fob. Does that make better sense?

DragonWagon: Yeah, I like that "all down" thing with the fob. I commonly do that to vent the heat, holding it down longer to vent the sunroof too. My VW used to do the same thing to the windows if you held the key all the way over to the "open" position.

Old 08-24-2008 | 10:10 PM
Alphawave
Originally Posted by hoonu
Okay, maybe I didn't ask the question right.

I didn't really mean "when I unlock" the splitdoors. What I meant was this: I usually have the fob in my pocket, walk up and pull on the handle switch. When I do that, the right door pops open, but does not open all the way by itself. In contrast, when I pull on the switch on the left door, it unlatches, and swings all the way open. The same thing happens if I "open" the splitdoors with the fob. Does that make better sense?

DragonWagon: Yeah, I like that "all down" thing with the fob. I commonly do that to vent the heat, holding it down longer to vent the sunroof too. My VW used to do the same thing to the windows if you held the key all the way over to the "open" position.
Sounds normal to me..it's a safety feature..you don't want either door opening wide automatically, swinging away fom the vehicle without human intervention. The right door 'pop-release' helps if your hands are full, but will not fully open without minor intervention. Left door needs intervention to release, but will open without further assistance, I suspect due to placement of gas-lift supports on the door bottom. I think it works well as designed.

Old 08-24-2008 | 10:27 PM
hoonu
|
5th Gear
Oh, it wasn't a complaint, just a query to see if that was how they all worked.

Don't really understand why the CD player spins though. (No nav system, BTW).

Old 08-25-2008 | 02:54 AM
rexicon
4th Gear
Diggin' the car. Great mileage, huge grin factor.

Couple questions for the more experienced Clubman owners:

1) When I unlock the door, I can hear what I believe to be the fuel pump "priming" itself. I assume this is normal.

2) As I open the door, I can hear the CD player spin, I guess looking to see if there's a disc in there so that it's ready to go when you start the car. Anyone else notice this? There's not a disc in there, BTW, and I don't remember this from test drives. Of course, the cars I test drove didn't have convenient access, and may have been unlocked before I got in.

3) When I unlock the splitdoors, the right one doesn't pop all the way open. The left one does. Is this a "feature," or do I need to have them look at the gas strut for the right door?

TIA!
1) - yes mine does it too
2) - yes mine does it too no NAV on mine either.
3) - yes mine does it too - always wondered about this...

Old 08-25-2008 | 10:40 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
From the realm of "Is anyone else as disappointed with their Mini purchase as I am? I should've bought an Audi A3 / Mazda 3 / VW GTI / Bugatti Veyron"

Does anyone else find the windshield washer "messy"? Let me explain. In my past cars, when I wash the windshield, the fluid I assume ran into a channel by the windshield which would keep it off my driver's window. In this Clubman, I dread washing the windows because the fluid shoots right across my driver's window and makes a mess and then dries looking horrible. Anyone else notice this?

I knew I should have bought a Rolls Royce Phantom instead. $%$^$% Clubman.

Old 08-25-2008 | 10:54 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa

Yeah mine does the same thing, but so has nearly every other car I've owned, including a Lexus RX300. I just figured that was "normal". *shrugs*

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:13 AM
hoonu
|
5th Gear
Y'all aren't playing nice.

Here I am asking perfectly innocent questions...

I'm going to go polish something...

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:19 AM
LadyGodiva
6th Gear
hoonu, I'm sorry! I wasn't meaning to be "not nice"???

my answers are:
1) yep, it makes some kinda sound. Had no idea what it was but your theory sounds good to me.

2) haven't noticed this sound. I'll listen for it and see if I hear it.

3) I think mine does pop open. I'll try it and report back!

Can I have my "play nice" star now??

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:19 AM
Alphawave
Y'all aren't playing nice.

Here I am asking perfectly innocent questions...

I'm going to go polish something...

All three observations have been confirmed as normal, with added discussion and insight. Don't really know what else you're looking for?

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:24 AM
hoonu
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by LadyGodiva

Can I have my "play nice" star now??

Originally Posted by Alphawave
All three observations have been confirmed as normal, with added discussion and insight. Don't really know what else you're looking for?
No harm, no foul. wampa was (apparently) poking me with a stick, and I just took the opportunity to feign a pout. I appreciate the confirmation(s), BTW. It's all in the course of normal banter.

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:28 AM
lurch70
6th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
From the realm of "Is anyone else as disappointed with their Mini purchase as I am? I should've bought an Audi A3 / Mazda 3 / VW GTI / Bugatti Veyron"

Does anyone else find the windshield washer "messy"? Let me explain. In my past cars, when I wash the windshield, the fluid I assume ran into a channel by the windshield which would keep it off my driver's window. In this Clubman, I dread washing the windows because the fluid shoots right across my driver's window and makes a mess and then dries looking horrible. Anyone else notice this?

try doing it with your window open at highway speed and experience a face wash

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:29 AM
wampa
3rd Gear

No harm, no foul. wampa was (apparently) poking me with a stick, and I just took the opportunity to feign a pout. I appreciate the confirmation(s), BTW. It's all in the course of normal banter.

Negatory. I was starting a new "thought" inside your "observations" thread. It was a new observation. I could've started my own thread, but that just clutters the forum. I was poking at others.

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:30 AM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by lurch70
try doing it with your window open at highway speed and experience a face wash
This is NOT normal. I have had 9 cars and none of them did this. It sucks.

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:37 AM
Alphawave

Ah..gotcha! If you doing polish, I take mine with deli mustard and kraut..please and thanks!

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:38 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Same here, pretty much

Hoonu,

#1 - same sound
#2 - haven't notice a CD spin-up sound. I leave a CD in there too. The iPod (USB connection) lights up though
#3 - barn doors behave the same. As stated above, I think this is a good safety feature in case the right door inadvertantly opens into something/someone

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:44 AM
hoonu
|
5th Gear
Originally Posted by bentyyc
#2 - haven't notice a CD spin-up sound. I leave a CD in there too. The iPod (USB connection) lights up though
Huh?

All I've got for that connection is the pigtail. What lights up?

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:48 AM
bentyyc
5th Gear
Huh?

All I've got for that connection is the pigtail. What lights up?
Sorry - I meant to say that if I leave the iPod in the car, the iPod screen lights up briefly (with the "OK to disconnect" message) when the car is started.

The cable itself is not lit. Apologies...

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:54 AM
hoonu
|
5th Gear
Ah. I've noticed that too. Interesting that the car's iPod controls work even if the iPod is locked.

Quick Reply: R55 Questions/oddities after a month with MINI