R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 It finally started to happen...

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 PM
ahendy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It finally started to happen...

My hood scoop has started melting on my Clubman S after 5500 miles. I suppose it was only a matter of time, and now I've got a noticeable depression in the middle of it.

So I need your advice... should I get MINI involved and get it replaced under warranty, or should I spend the cash and get an aftermarket one that wont melt again? If so, what do you think would look good on a BRG/S car? I can't decide. I think a chrome one would be too much chrome...

I like the M7 Vortex, but it might be too aggressive. I'm not sure.

Any advice?

Old 08-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Benibiker
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
I'd have mini replace it and get one of these so it doesn't happen again:

http://www.m7tuning.com/parts/produc...roducts_id=137

Old 08-25-2008, 03:36 AM
bam-bam
1st Gear
JCW Scoop

I talked with MINI about my scoop and of course they aren't convinced it is a heat problem and wanted to replace my scoop with a stock one. By the time it came in and got painted it would have been two trips to the delaer plus lost wages etc(I live an hour and half away).

After looking at several other cars including my loaner I decided that anotehr stock scoop would just melt again. I looked at several options and decided on the JCW carbon fibre scoop.

I like the heat shield though and may install one of those also.

Shawn

Old 08-25-2008, 03:56 AM
srahaim
2nd Gear
What About One of Those Cold Air Kits?

I'm not a motor head so I may have the name wrong. But I've seen these kits that actually use the scoop for direct conveyance of ambient (cold) air into the engine intake. They bolt on to the underside of the scoop and hood and I think there is a slight mod on the intake area. Cost about $500 but in addition to the performance improvement it looks like it would also shield the scoop from heat.

Any thoughts from folks who actually know what I'm guessing about?

Old 08-25-2008, 06:10 AM
Joep
6th Gear
Originally Posted by bam-bam
I talked with MINI about my scoop and of course they aren't convinced it is a heat problem and wanted to replace my scoop with a stock one. By the time it came in and got painted it would have been two trips to the delaer plus lost wages etc(I live an hour and half away).

After looking at several other cars including my loaner I decided that anotehr stock scoop would just melt again. I looked at several options and decided on the JCW carbon fibre scoop.

I like the heat shield though and may install one of those also.

Shawn
Hey Shawn,

Let me know what you think of the carbon fiber hood scoop. How does the intake area have the same plastic piece as the stock hood scoop?

thanks,
joe

Old 08-25-2008, 06:03 PM
bam-bam
1st Gear
Just picked Wilma up from the dealer and the carbon fibre scoop looks good. I will say that it doesn't look as good with HC paint as it does with the red. It does retain the plastic grill at the rear of the scoop.

Fingers crossed that it doesn't warp.

Shawn

Old 08-25-2008, 06:31 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
I would get a carbon fiber one, but don't feel like paying $4,500 for the dealer to spend 10 minutes installing it and billing it as an 8 hour job.

Can I do this myself? I are not stupid.

Old 08-25-2008, 06:48 PM
richs10
5th Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
I would get a carbon fiber one, but don't feel like paying $4,500 for the dealer to spend 10 minutes installing it and billing it as an 8 hour job.

Can I do this myself? I are not stupid.

I swapped my stock scoop for the chrome one in just a few minutes following the instructions here on NAM. Not a problem. 1 screw, six push in's. My experience is at post #19 and after in this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ome+hood+scoop

Old 08-25-2008, 07:02 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by richs10
I swapped my stock scoop for the chrome one in just a few minutes following the instructions here on NAM. Not a problem. 1 screw, six push in's. My experience is at post #19 and after in this thread:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ome+hood+scoop

Nice. I think I'll wait till it melts, which from what I read, it will, then I'll swap it for the chrome one.

I like the Carbon Fiber one, but $300? That's crazy. I sound so old.

Old 08-25-2008, 07:10 PM
bam-bam
1st Gear
Broke Even

300 bucks is pricey but they installed it for free and they let me choose a 100 dollars of accessories for free so by the time I added in gas etc for two trips to the dealer plus the frustration of another stock one melting and additional trips to get it fixed I just about broke even.

I really wanted a gloss black scoop but can't bring myself to paint the carbon fibre.

I just think it is funny that BMW is in denial about it being a heat problem. If the JCW one melts I will not be a happy camper.

Shawn

Old 08-26-2008, 06:30 AM
corningjeff
1st Gear
Originally Posted by srahaim
I'm not a motor head so I may have the name wrong. But I've seen these kits that actually use the scoop for direct conveyance of ambient (cold) air into the engine intake. They bolt on to the underside of the scoop and hood and I think there is a slight mod on the intake area. Cost about $500 but in addition to the performance improvement it looks like it would also shield the scoop from heat.

Any thoughts from folks who actually know what I'm guessing about?
Good question, I was wondering the same. Input on the cold air performance (scoop melting & general car performace) would be appreciated.

Old 08-26-2008, 08:21 AM
Joep
6th Gear
I can't seem to find the thread that gave me insight into the CAI (Cold Air Induction systems), but go to this area - mods for r55/r56 - https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...play.php?f=191

and look around. There was a thread about DDM (?) and ALTA CAI's - really good discussion. DDM has a race ready system that actually feeds air directly into the CAI. Looked real interesting and it maybe on my clubman one day.

Old 12-02-2008, 05:19 AM
YarvisCooperS
2nd Gear
Chrome hood scoops melt or warp as well, just had mine replaced yesterday, lucky for me, under warranty!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:05 PM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by bam-bam
I just think it is funny that BMW is in denial about it being a heat problem. If the JCW one melts I will not be a happy camper.

Shawn
they arent in denial, that is why the dealers are replacing them without any hassels. The carbon fiber one WONT melt BTW

ALSO, get the Way Motor Sports turbo wrap, that is another product that will fix the melting hoodscoop problem! I have it and there is next to NO heat now!!

Old 12-02-2008, 08:11 PM
taskmaxter
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Dead Ringer
they arent in denial, that is why the dealers are replacing them without any hassels. The carbon fiber one WONT melt BTW

ALSO, get the Way Motor Sports turbo wrap, that is another product that will fix the melting hoodscoop problem! I have it and there is next to NO heat now!!

They may not melt, but I read in the R56 forums that someone had their carbon hoodscoop become "discolored" due to the heat. (I guess it the color became uneven across the scoop).

Old 12-02-2008, 08:27 PM
Dead Ringer
4th Gear
Originally Posted by taskmaxter
They may not melt, but I read in the R56 forums that someone had their carbon hoodscoop become "discolored" due to the heat. (I guess it the color became uneven across the scoop).
that could be true, but how many carbon hoods do you see discolored due to heat? I havent seen that many (well none that I can remember), but if so the carbon fiber could've been really cheap..

Old 02-24-2010, 09:47 AM
Little Bean
3rd Gear
Hey i was just shown my melting air scoop. anybody know if Mini has acknowledged this problem and or fixed or will fix the issue?

Old 02-24-2010, 10:45 AM
taysan
2nd Gear
Old 02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
miniemee
3rd Gear
A known issue. Just call the dealer and they will set up the replacement. The M7 heat shield is easy to install and solves the problem.