R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 About to order, need some advice!

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008 | 08:15 AM
rangerfan
|
1st Gear
About to order, need some advice!

Hi,

Been lurking around the board for a few weeks now--I have leared a LOT about the Mini that makes me confident I will love the car as much as I have my almost 5 year old X5. I do have a few quick questions for some of the experts around here. I have read and searched, but I am still unsure about a few things before I order my 09 Clubman S. I don't want to say I do not trust the MA at my dealership, but I know I'll get the right answer here!

1) I think I want to get 17" Performance tires and a set of 16s for the winter. I am a bit unsure about the TPM system. Is there anything that needs to be done when the rims are swapped out? This is a simple DIY job on my X5, but I don't have a TPM system to worry about. Do I want to take on this project on my Clubman?

2) What is the Smartphone prep for the car? I am getting the Comfort Bluetooth and I have an iPhone--do I need the smartphone prep?

3) Accessories--I managed to install a whole bunch of stuff on my X5 thanks to the experts at X5World.com. The writeups were excellent, and most of the jobs are simple enough. However, I haven't let this past success go to me head. I am by no means an engineer and I don't want my car to end up in the shop because of my foolishness. I know I can hardwire the V1. But how about the Driving Lamps--anyone taken on that job? Anyone replaced their interior trim? Installed illuminated door sills?

4) Sirius functionality--how many presets are there? The dealer wasn't sure. I am getting Nav. I only have 6 presets in my X5 and I hate it. The functionality of my wife's aftermarket Sirius radio is far superior, and a lot cheaper. But it isn't OEM. It's a tough trade. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-25-2008 | 11:20 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Sorry; this is the only one I can he'p you with:
Originally Posted by rangerfan

4) Sirius functionality--how many presets are there? The dealer wasn't sure. I am getting Nav. I only have 6 presets in my X5 and I hate it. The functionality of my wife's aftermarket Sirius radio is far superior, and a lot cheaper. But it isn't OEM. It's a tough trade. Thoughts?
Twelve presets; two sets of six. Once you store your twelve, you can scroll between them using the main **** on the radio. The "store" routine is a little wierd, but the ability to search and select by genre is cool. You also get song info on every song that you can scroll to easily. I would not want to use an add-on tuner on this car-there's just not a lot of extra room in the cockpit. Also, its' nice that the Sirius antenna is built in. HTH!

Old 08-25-2008 | 12:15 PM
rangerfan
|
1st Gear
Thanks. 12 is better than 6 to be sure. For the price, these OEM systems should include artist and track notification, but I guess I'll live without it.

Old 08-25-2008 | 12:45 PM
schatzy62
OVERDRIVE
Hi,
1) I think I want to get 17" Performance tires and a set of 16s for the winter. I am a bit unsure about the TPM system. Is there anything that needs to be done when the rims are swapped out? This is a simple DIY job on my X5, but I don't have a TPM system to worry about. Do I want to take on this project on my Clubman?
Simple easy reset done by use of the signal stalk.

2) What is the Smartphone prep for the car? I am getting the Comfort Bluetooth and I have an iPhone--do I need the smartphone prep?
I beleive what they are talking about is the use of your phone in the center armrest where they are supposedly putting a USB port.
3) Accessories--I managed to install a whole bunch of stuff on my X5 thanks to the experts at X5World.com. The writeups were excellent, and most of the jobs are simple enough. However, I haven't let this past success go to me head. I am by no means an engineer and I don't want my car to end up in the shop because of my foolishness. I know I can hardwire the V1. But how about the Driving Lamps--anyone taken on that job? Anyone replaced their interior trim? Installed illuminated door sills?
Door sills are a pain in the A$$ but can be done.

there are lots fo technical people here that have written instructions when the one from MINI are hard to understand.

Good luck wiht you final decisions

Old 08-25-2008 | 01:34 PM
rangerfan
|
1st Gear
Thanks for your help. I think I'll get the Smartphone prep just to be sure. I have my MA working on getting some more info on it for me. I'll share anything useful that I find.

Old 08-25-2008 | 01:37 PM
wampa
3rd Gear
Hi,

I don't want to step on your toes Schatzy, but I don't think he is talking about resetting the TPM. He is talking about swapping the rims and making sure the TPM device on the car is reinstalled properly on each new tire. I am sure people do it, but it is more to it than that. That is the last step once he gets back in the car.

Old 08-25-2008 | 01:41 PM
ephotodfw
1st Gear
I was gonna get the smartphone feature added if I had an 09, but I then realized that my iphone would be stuck in the armrest. I get way too many txt messages and emails, so that wasn't gonna work for me. It would be great for an ipod, but would be too much of a hassle for me to use with my iphone.

Old 08-25-2008 | 03:19 PM
rangerfan
|
1st Gear
Originally Posted by wampa
I don't want to step on your toes Schatzy, but I don't think he is talking about resetting the TPM. He is talking about swapping the rims and making sure the TPM device on the car is reinstalled properly on each new tire. I am sure people do it, but it is more to it than that. That is the last step once he gets back in the car.
Hey Wampa,

You are correct. I am talking about swapping the rims. With my X5, it's as simple as jacking the car, removing the bolts, swapping the rims, using my torque wrench, and putting the stuff away. 30 minutes at most with the tools I have in the garage. I was hoping the process was just as simple on the Clubman, and that's what I want to find out.

Old 08-25-2008 | 07:59 PM
hoonu
5th Gear
Thanks. 12 is better than 6 to be sure. For the price, these OEM systems should include artist and track notification, but I guess I'll live without it.
Do you mean that that info is in the display (for the song you're listening to), or notification that a specific song is "on the air" somewhere on Sirius?

Old 08-26-2008 | 04:03 AM
TorchMINI
4th Gear
My understanding on wheel swapping is that you shouldn't scrape off run-flats once they're on the rim. I've been advised by MINI ad my locals to get a second set of wheels for snow tires.
I have my iPhone handy rather than in the armrest, but I'd be curious to hear how the cartridge works once it is available for the iPhone 3g (it isn't as of now). My bluetooth connection to my motorolla worked great for months, but after a week, the MINI and the iPhone couldn't stay paired!
Good luck on your Clubman. Mine has been a joy, except for this bluetooth issue.

Old 08-26-2008 | 07:05 AM
rangerfan
|
1st Gear
I think I am misunderstood here--perhaps I was not clear?

I want to get a 2nd set of rims with snows mounted on them. I want to take off the summer rubber around Thanksgiving and throw on the snows, and I want to do it myself. I certainly do not have the ability to mount and balance a tire on a rim.

What I want to know is, does the TPM system make this a job for the dealer or tire shop, or can I do this myself in 30 minutes in my driveway?

Old 08-26-2008 | 07:27 AM
wampa
3rd Gear

I want to get a 2nd set of rims with snows mounted on them. I want to take off the summer rubber around Thanksgiving and throw on the snows, and I want to do it myself. I certainly do not have the ability to mount and balance a tire on a rim.

What I want to know is, does the TPM system make this a job for the dealer or tire shop, or can I do this myself in 30 minutes in my driveway?

I understood your question from the get go.

I wish I could help, but I have no idea.

Old 08-26-2008 | 08:09 AM
ITTAZVIC
1st Gear

It's the same procedure as with the X5. It will probably be easier since the MINI and its tires weigh less. The only thing you need to be sure of is that the winter set also has tpms sensors in them. Tirerack is great for this type of purchase. They will have everything you need. Good luck.

Old 08-26-2008 | 08:22 AM
Reldieh
3rd Gear

Ok... so after re-reading both your first and second posts, albeit I was confused, I think I know what you are asking.

If you are getting a second set of rims and tires to go on the MINI for the snow, you have to have to buy a second set of TPMS sensors and have them installed on the valve prior to the tire being installed on the wheel, or else the tire will have to removed for that install and then the whole thing must be mounted and balanced again. I don't think it will be a problem for you to install the TPMS on the tire yourself, but then you will have to take it to a shop to have them mounted and balanced, so I would just let the shop install the TPMS right before they mount the tires. Then, you can install the tires yourself and use the signal stalk to reset the system.

Am I on the right track?

Old 08-26-2008 | 09:55 AM
rangerfan
|
1st Gear
ITTAZVIC and Reldieh, that's exactly what i wanted to know. Thanks very much for your help!!

FYI, It will be a lot easier on the Mini. the 19" rims on the X5 are very heavy and hard to handle. I bought a slick wheel hanger that made the process a lot easier. It screws into one of the holes and is 5" of steel, making it easier to get the rims onto and off of the wheels. I wonder if the bolts are the same size on the Mini.

Old 08-26-2008 | 10:19 AM
hoonu
5th Gear
Probably. The wheel bolts are 14mm diameter, FWIU.

Old 08-26-2008 | 01:45 PM
rasputinj
4th Gear
Originally Posted by schatzy62

Wouldn't you need to reset it everytime you start your car?