R55 :: Clubman Talk (2008+) Discussions revolving around the extended wheelbase Clubman (R55) model.

R55 ClubmanAftermarket exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2008, 08:20 PM
rockhouse
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ClubmanAftermarket exhaust

Anybody know if anything is available yet?

Old 08-29-2008, 07:22 AM
drno
3rd Gear
way motor works told me 3 weeks before the dragon that they were about to bring one out----- NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-30-2008, 03:06 PM
xBoXlOvEr
2nd Gear
MiltekSport has a Clubman S Exhaust done! I saw it yesterday on their web.

Old 08-31-2008, 06:49 AM
drno
3rd Gear
perhaps the aftermarket has found out they can't really improve the stock set up. alta also said they had one coming out a few months ago and nothing heard since

Old 08-31-2008, 07:36 AM
MBX5
4th Gear
Yes it looks like milltek has one.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:15 AM
drno
3rd Gear
picture yes-specfics no-

Old 09-01-2008, 07:27 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
MCS Clubman exhausts are available from the following companies that I've found so far.

Milltek (European with US importers)
AC Schnitzer (European with US importers)
Remus (people who make AC Schnitzer exhausts) (European)
JCW (dealer)
Arqray (Japan with US importer)
Clos (Japan)

Clos:

Last edited by Rally@StanceDesign; 09-01-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by drno
perhaps the aftermarket has found out they can't really improve the stock set up. alta also said they had one coming out a few months ago and nothing heard since
I doubt that's the reason....there is no reason the exhaust would have less effect on a Clubman than it has on any of the previous models. The clubman is still a generally new car....especially in the States. The companies still need to test the exhaust after they build it. And who knows when they were able to get a vehicle to test the fit on.

All of that on top of the fact that the clubman probably has the lowest amount of demand for an aftermarket exhaust due to the fact that many of the buyers bought it as a family wagon. It's still hard to find an intake for a regular R56 MC due to the perceived lack of demand about Non-S owners....demand plays a large part in MINI aftermarket parts community due to the small size of the customer base and the high cost of R+D.

picture yes-specfics no-
Specifics like HP numbers? It's pretty safe to assume that it's probably much like the milltek exhaust for the normal R56 MCS.....or all MINI's for that matter. 3-8hp at the very most. Unless you've got a TON of engine work, you're really just buying the exhaust for the sound and perhaps the look of the tips.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:56 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Something else to note is that the MC comes with the screw necessary to mount the MCS dual exhaust. So theoretically with some OEM parts and a little work you will be able to fit the MCS dual exhaust on the MC.

I think with the obvious simplicity of the clubman muffler setup (clamps on RIGHT before the muffler) custom one-off exhausts may be the best bet if you want to avoid some of the high prices. Mufflers don't cost that much, and the piping work wouldn't be very demanding considering how little would be require. Most exhaust shops could fab you up a setup pretty quickly.

Remus ($1099):

AC Schnitzer

Old 09-01-2008, 11:29 AM
drno
3rd Gear
never heard of clos--are the available in the us? thanks for the pictures

Old 09-01-2008, 12:38 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by drno
never heard of clos--are the available in the us? thanks for the pictures
Not that I know of. I tried listing their country of origin and whether there are US importers in the post above

Old 09-01-2008, 02:44 PM
William Blake
4th Gear
Great posts R@SD!

I thought Borla is also developing an exhaust!

Old 09-01-2008, 02:47 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by William Blake
Great posts R@SD!

I thought Borla is also developing an exhaust!
They probably are....they usually design exhausts for all kinds of cars. They're also known for doing extensive R&D so they may still be testing it as there isn't any sign of it on their website yet.

Found the owner who is helping them with the testing and fitting: http://www.redwoodempiremini.com/mbb...w.asp?tid=1100

and pictures of the borla exhaust. No surprises here...basically looks like all the borla exhausts
http://www.redwoodempiremini.com/mbb...ate&albumid=85

Old 09-01-2008, 04:20 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would pay some decent money for an axle-back that had an appealing sound. Since I won't be going heavy into engine mods (intake-exhaust-intercooler-chip at the most) this would be more than satisfying.

I'm not going to deny, that the sounds i'd get from an intake and an axle back are the most appealing reasons, until a real tuning method can be put in place because I've heard nothing but disasters for the Unichip.

Old 09-01-2008, 04:53 PM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by accordselux
I'm not going to deny, that the sounds i'd get from an intake and an axle back are the most appealing reasons, until a real tuning method can be put in place because I've heard nothing but disasters for the Unichip.
Yah I just want a little extra noise. I grew so used to my Borla/K&N combo on my Cooper, the clubman seems way too quiet for me.

I'm curious....how much noise change can be had with an axle back system since it still has the OEM resonator? From what I gather from a buddy of mine, the JCW exhaust on the clubman is just axle back but it still makes a nice exhaust note compared to stock.

Old 09-01-2008, 07:34 PM
accordselux
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It depends on the muffler design.

The resonator DOES do a lot to silence the exhaust, but mostly takes care of the harsh tones (cheap Honda exhausts don't have resonators, that's where you get hte BRAPPPPPP).

A straight through muffler will produce more noise than a stock baffled unit, and the shape (oval, short or long, canister) will all change the tone and the loudness of the system.

I'd be looking for a good stainless oval straight through with maybe 2.5" inlet and outlet for sound. When people start using the canister mufflers, like on a lot of the Hondas I came out of, they don't muffle properly due to their design and they're excessively loud. Usually cheap materials too, and the fiberglass they are packed with will burn out.

I'm tempted to get a set of ES Ovals or Vibrant mufflers and have a custom axle back thrown on.

These REALLY look good when done right:

But I may get too tempted by stainless tips!!!

Old 09-02-2008, 12:33 PM
Phurbahl
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Rally@StanceDesign
They probably are....they usually design exhausts for all kinds of cars. They're also known for doing extensive R&D so they may still be testing it as there isn't any sign of it on their website yet.

Found the owner who is helping them with the testing and fitting: http://www.redwoodempiremini.com/mbb...w.asp?tid=1100

and pictures of the borla exhaust. No surprises here...basically looks like all the borla exhausts
http://www.redwoodempiremini.com/mbb...ate&albumid=85
That's my baby! I have to say I love the Borla. They had it at the R&D site for 2 weeks and I've put almost 2000 miles on since then. The sound is much better than stock and give a good low note when under acceleration and more so when coming off the throttle. Don't know if it has boosted HP at all but had it out at Thunderhill in Willows the other week and it was really fast. Got past most all R53s in the B group including a GP but that may be because I was being a bit crazier than I should have been . The only other mod on it so far are H&R Springs to drop it down 1.4" all around and reduce the body roll (huge difference in handling).

I don't know where Borla is at in the R&D to production cycle. If you are interested you may want to check with Ken Suzuki up at MiniMania and see when he expects them. they had told me 4-6 weeks originally but it has been past that a while ago.

Good luck whatever route you take!

Old 09-03-2008, 07:28 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
USA Clubmans don't pop and crackle eh?

Old 09-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Phurbahl
2nd Gear
Not at this time. I think the JCW kit ECU update is supposed to add it back but haven't been able to verify. I want it though as that is one thing about my 06 cabrio I really miss.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:52 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
That's a real pity! My car sounds really badass! From time to time it really makes big pops! Pretty loud too.

By the way, can you make a sound vid of that Borla exhaust?

Old 09-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Phurbahl
2nd Gear
I'll see what i can come up with but it won't be till next week at the earliest. We've got our Magical Mystery Mini Tour on Treasure Island in SF this weekend and I'll be down there. Then again I'll have my video outfit there so maybe it will be easier to compare with some other well known aftermarket exhausts on R53s & R56s

Old 09-04-2008, 01:57 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Alright, that would be great

Old 09-06-2008, 07:59 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
How much does the Clos exhaust retail?

Old 09-06-2008, 08:07 AM
Rally@StanceDesign
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by William Blake
How much does the Clos exhaust retail?
94,500 JPY....so about USD$877

Shipping will probably be $200-500 if they are willing to ship to the US. (Just a guess though....)

Old 09-06-2008, 10:17 AM
William Blake
4th Gear
Thanks!

Why hasn't Alta released their exhaust? I bet it will look and sound bonkers!

Quick Reply: R55 ClubmanAftermarket exhaust